The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-07-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Your Middle-earth Role

This might be an amusing diversion...let's see...

I was watching a documentary the other night where Sean Bean was talking about what fun it was to play Sharpe and I thought it must be an ace role to have - he gets to play with swords, ride horses, fire rifles, have fights, swear and errrr, tumble ladies (not so much fun for me that one, but the guys might not say no).

So I started wondering which role I'd love to have in a production of one of Tolkien's works!

I can't deny it, I'd love to be Gandalf! Stomping about in a vast cloak and pointy hat, fighting the Balrog, wielding a staff, being sarcastic and tetchy at every turn. Fantastic! OK, so I'd have to get a fake beard and eat gravel to get a deep voice, but what fun!

Which role would YOU play?

Would you be Gimli and mess with axes? A fey Legolas? Or would you want to be an evil Sauron or the voice of Smaug?
Old 12-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Gimli or Lurtz: guys who fight dirty.

Lurtz threw some strange, shield-weapon at Aragorn, punched his lights out, and even headbutted him. Sure, he lost, but he lost in style. I also liked the way he scowled and growled when Saruman told him to bring back the halflings alive and unspoiled.

There's a scene in TTT in which Gimli buries his axe in the groin of an Uruk berserker coming over the wall. Lots of moves with his axe besides swinging, too, like a jabs, and hook/pulls.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:37 PM   #3
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
I can't deny it, I'd love to be Gandalf! Stomping about in a vast cloak and pointy hat, fighting the Balrog, wielding a staff, being sarcastic and tetchy at every turn. Fantastic! OK, so I'd have to get a fake beard and eat gravel to get a deep voice, but what fun!
Actually, you don't need to eat gravel to get a deep voice. Some years ago (hmm, when I think about it, it's decades ago, 1980 or so), I did Gandalf for a competitive masquerade. Took four hours to do the beard, wig, make-up, and various strapping-in necessary to make the look convincing. Normally, I have an mezzo to alto voice, but nature took a hand that weekend and gave me the mother of all chest colds, so my voice dropped by about an octave and a half, yet still managed to retain resonance, so I was able to pull it off rather convincingly (to the point that I had to show ID to prove to some people, in particular the incognito judges, that I was really a female under it all). It was all beyond cool (except for the fever I fell into bed with after I got out of all the make-up after the ball was over).

Needless to say, I'd go for Gandalf, too.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:35 PM   #4
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
If my voice allows (and chances are it will, this alto voice of mine) I'd like to try Smaug. I remember back in high school my best friend and I performed the "one-two-three-four-five-six!" line of Emily from The Exorcism of Emily Rose. She did the insane mouth-watering act, complete with the tattered dress costume and messy hair, while I did the hellish voice. We were perfect, people even tossed money! And I always imagine Smaug to have that kind of voice, though in a mellow way.

I'd always love to do Elvish parts, but my voice and my height (exactly five feet ) won't allow me.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:43 AM   #5
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Despite mostly looking like a Hobbit more than anything else, I've discovered I can actually make a convincing enough Elf.

So, I'd like to be Gildor like in that pic - although, sadly, I'm still too short for that. (And if someone has still missed that LotR-masquerading silliness and is interested, scroll down this page. )

Playing Frodo would be a nice challenge but I think I could manage it up to some point at least. Playing Merry would be slightly less interesting but less difficult too.

I'm sure playing Gandalf would be funny too. And what about playing the WK? Or Gollum?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:14 AM   #6
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Leaf

ALthough I find myself struggling against it, my initial reaction was 'Legolas and the archery, of course." I do shoot longbow. BUt I admit, I was suprised by my own reaction.

But hey, it's a great role. Long golden hair, lots of archery, enough horseback riding to make me happy.
By that logic I should like the role of Eomer, also, but the archery element isn't there. Humph. Now I'm going to have to invent a golden haired elf who does plenty of archery from horseback, and invent a game to play him in, and it's all just so average. The snow-walking thing is a plus. I'd insist on more tree-climbing.

In a more historical vein, Feanor would be fun to play. If we're considering Sil, however, Luthien would be my top choice: although I've never wanted to be a bat. But-- casting a spell over Melkor with a song? Yeah. That would be fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LuthienTinuviel.jpg (43.1 KB, 512 views)

Last edited by mark12_30; 12-08-2008 at 06:39 AM.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:03 AM   #7
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I've always liked Ioreth and I'm sure I could portray her convincingly. Garrulous old woman who still manages to have something worth saying in all that prattle - sounds like fun to play! Besides, it would be hilarious to share some of the best humorous moments in the book with whoever plays Gandalf and Aragorn.

As a matter of fact, I have a lovely idea for a Ioreth costume; when I sew it (that will be some months from now) I'll come back and show it off.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:18 AM   #8
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'd have to be younger (longer than I want to think about since I rode - though I misspent a great deal of my youth around horses) and a deal more slender (far too curvy these days to pass for a bloke though easily tall enough), Eowyn would be the one - riding, fighting, killing fell beasts, sulking and Faramir. I have the fair hair and grey eyes at least.

From the Silmarillion, it would be Idril.

These days ... err Entwife?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:30 AM   #9
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hmmm...someone godlike, but with a mean streak. How about...Oromë. If the Valar are out of the question, then I suppose a complicated character like Eol would do. Then I could have a stunning soliloquoy before I am launched off the parapet of Gondolin.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:57 AM   #10
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Somehow I can't get over how blue Lommy's eyes are in that picture... any chance you really have Elves in your family tree?

Hmmm, ok I would probably most like Saruman, somehow I feel I can identify with him as a loremaster and a bit evil too. Actually, I'd probably also take something like Boromir or Beregond into consideration, probably even more the latter.

But yeah, if it would be the part of a man, it would be a Gondorian or a Northman (Esgaroth or Dale). No Elves, nor Dwarves or any other races for me, thank you.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #11
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Definitely one of the outlaws of Amon Rûdh. Androg or perhaps the leader of the company, whose name I forgot: you know, the one who harassed the homestead women and was slain by Turin. These characters are multidimensional, quite nasty fellows for sure, but nasty for a reason, and certainly not altogether bad either. Also, these guys aren't given that much space in the books, so you have some leeway in your interpretation.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #12
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Title #876

Personality wise, I'm probably most like Eowyn. I've been a tomboy for years now, though I can't ride a horse and killing a Witch King would do me much more damage. She was probably one of my favorite female characters in LOTR though.

Another one I'd love to play would be Pippin. In the books and the movie he's a general clown, and thus gets to do some really funny things. Also, in the movies at least (It's been so long since I've read the books ) he gets to sing! I love singing, though I'd have to sing his parts up an octave at least I imagine.

Long ago...I did dress up as Frodo for my birthday and went to the mall via a city bus.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:04 PM   #13
Strongbow
Wight

Strongbow has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Strongbow Send a message via MSN to Strongbow
Well, from my height and voice, I'd most likely pull off Beorn. My hair is a very dark brown, but not quite black, and I'm fairly burly, as a rule. I was also a vegetarian for 8 years, and for most of those years I played hockey (to sort-of emulate Beorn being a master woodsman and a pretty good warrior). I don't know that I could sustain only on honey, clotted cream, and biscuits though.

I also like bears, and most other animals. I can sort of hear Beorn's gruff, sometimes not-so-used voice as a deep, gravelly, truly bruinesque voice.

But that's just me.

Last edited by Strongbow; 12-08-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:14 AM   #14
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Well, if we want to take a realistic approach, I doubt I'd get any role, maybe at most "Hobbit extra" or "Esgarothian extra" (in TH film) which is not too flattering maybe.

But wait twenty years and I'd do my best to give you a convincing Haleth, one of the characters I admire the most...

PS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Might
Somehow I can't get over how blue Lommy's eyes are in that picture... any chance you really have Elves in your family tree?
I doubt it... but I do have a very blue-eyed Tom Bombadil as my father, does that count?

Last edited by Thinlómien; 12-09-2008 at 06:18 AM.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:03 AM   #15
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Well, if we want to take a realistic approach, I doubt I'd get any role
No need to be realistic! Use your wildest imaginings!

There's no way I could pass for Gandalf, but it would still be my fave role
Old 12-09-2008, 07:13 AM   #16
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
No need to be realistic! Use your wildest imaginings!

In that case I will have Richard Armitage as my Faramir... David Wenham is nice enough looking but Numenorean he ain't.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:23 AM   #17
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
PS.
I doubt it... but I do have a very blue-eyed Tom Bombadil as my father, does that count?
Ok, that explains it I guess.

I think Queen Beruthiel would be an interesting part (but not for me).
Old 12-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #18
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
I agree, Lommy looks so much like a hobbit only those eyes seem to have something hidden behind them. Definitely an elf.

My role, hmm... I guess that the ideal role for me would be a dwarf, probably Balin or Gimli, but I don't think Tolkien would want someone who is 6'5 feet tall for that.

If I were to be a man, it would be a toss- up between Faramir and Eomer. I love the inner struggle that Faramir has throughout the books, also it would be fun to play someone who is wise. Although, Eomer is a rugged soldier who sticks to his guns and always knows what is right, he also rides horses and I would to be a part of that.

However, all those picks are moon-shots. Though if I could pick a character I'd really like Gimli!
Old 12-09-2008, 04:25 PM   #19
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
In that case I will have Richard Armitage as my Faramir... David Wenham is nice enough looking but Numenorean he ain't.
Alright, if that's to be the casting choice for Faramir then I'll just have to fight you for the role of Eowyn.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:29 AM   #20
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
My Middle-earth roll

Cheese and pickle please Lal, other than that I'm afraid it would have to be the squint-eyed southerner, being a narfforc.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:25 AM   #21
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Alright, if that's to be the casting choice for Faramir then I'll just have to fight you for the role of Eowyn.
.... I sometimes can't decide if he would be better as Boromir or Faramir but if I am to be Eowyn....

Old 12-10-2008, 08:48 AM   #22
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Boots

Quote:
.... I sometimes can't decide if he would be better as Boromir or Faramir but if I am to be Eowyn....
If they kept Sean Bean as Boromir and maybe got David Tennant in to play Aragorn then there might be serious problems in choosing roles, not that the script would get much attention...
Old 12-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #23
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Ah yer can keep the pair of 'em. I dont' find Sean Bean attractive and though DT is a fine actor he is so not Aragorn. Never got over him playing a psychopathic murderer. Still think Daniel Day Lewis would have been a good Aragorn. Hugh Jackman (though brown eyed ... ) would work for me as Boromir to RA's Faramir...

Old 12-11-2008, 01:28 AM   #24
Ilya
Wight

Ilya has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Oh, the casting question. For the sons of Denethor, I think Gerard Butler as Boromir and Michael Trucco as Faramir would be pretty darn spiffy, although I like Sean Bean just fine. Tennant and Daniel Day Lewis strike me as unconventional choices for Aragorn, but they're both talented enough to make it work. Not sure who else I'd toss up.

As for being in ME myself..Eowyn was always one of my favorites, but in temperament I'm probably closer to Elanor.

Last edited by Ilya; 12-11-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Ilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:04 AM   #25
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
It might be a bit hard for me to 'be' Old Man Willow in a film, it would all be computer generated, but I think being him in a stage production would be amazing. I would get to eat Merry and Pippin!

If I couldn't be Old Man Willow I might settle for being one of the hobbits. Frodo might be kind of cool, getting to complain and whine all the way to Mordor, but Pippin with all his naivete, would be more fun.

As a side note, I played the role of Galadriel in a small LOTR play when I was ten. I had no idea who or what she was, not having read the books then, but I had a fine time swishing around in a cloak.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:12 AM   #26
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
I had no idea who or what she was, not having read the books then, but I had a fine time swishing around in a cloak.
Don't we all? Reminds me of the day I lost a bet and went to school in a Voldemort/Nazgul cloak (depends on which you're a fan of, I think!). Generally professors are used to nutcases in the University, but I bet they haven't seen something like that before.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:37 AM   #27
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Leaf

Back in 1976, I wore a hooded green cotton cloak (calf-length) to school every day for several days, and wore it to all my classes. Just because I felt like it. I was the laugh of the school. The best support I got was "Well, it would be different if it matched your outfit, but it doesn't." (Feh, says I, my fellowship wears sneakers. And jeans.)

My freshman english teacher (gently) stuck up for me, and said "I don't see why you shouldn't be able to wear a mantle, if you want to."

A while later, another girl showed up lurking for a day, in a straight woolen lined cloak. I told her I liked it, trying to provide moral support, but she snubbed me. I think she lost a bet, or did it on a dare.

A while later, my (only?) friend made a cloak, and wore it to school, leaving it in her locker during the day. She was also very careful to wear nice boots.

Anyway back to the role: Singing. The role must contain singing. Galadriel would have been good, if she'd been allowed to sing; I'd have gone for that role.

If we can play anyone at all, regardless of gender (following Lalwende's lead) then if I succeeded in talking myself out of the songless Legolas (in the book he sang plenty. Can I play BOOK Legolas???) then I would choose Strider. He gets to do everything and go everywhere.

THen again, so does Legolas. What am I fussing about?
Old 12-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #28
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

After reading mark's post I feel like a child hearing only half of the bedtime story... because somehow I expected a larger story to emerge and was disappointed when it all stopped all of a sudden.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:50 PM   #29
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

I'd actually like to play Gollum as well. Now seeing as this is total fantasy I could be Gollum whereas in reality I wouldn't stand a chance...but I'd love to do his voice and be all creepy and things and scare people. Though some say I do a good job of that without pretending to be Gollum.

Quote:
Ah yer can keep the pair of 'em. I dont' find Sean Bean attractive and though DT is a fine actor he is so not Aragorn. Never got over him playing a psychopathic murderer. Still think Daniel Day Lewis would have been a good Aragorn. Hugh Jackman (though brown eyed ... ) would work for me as Boromir to RA's Faramir...
Are you trying to make me have a 'fit of the vapours', bring Hugh Jackman into this as well?
Old 12-14-2008, 04:26 PM   #30
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
After reading mark's post I feel like a child hearing only half of the bedtime story... because somehow I expected a larger story to emerge and was disappointed when it all stopped all of a sudden.
Ah-- er, sorry.

*cough*

Eh, what you have just experienced is, ah, a glimpse of ruins on a far hilltop, whispering wild and dark tales from a long-forgotten past. History became legend, legend became myth, and the songs of Ulmo still echo in the inland waters.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #31
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30 View Post
Ah-- er, sorry.

*cough*

Eh, what you have just experienced is, ah, a glimpse of ruins on a far hilltop, whispering wild and dark tales from a long-forgotten past. History became legend, legend became myth, and the songs of Ulmo still echo in the inland waters.
Couldn't you have got away with a cloak in the 70s though? I mean, it was the decade which gave us such sartorial delights as the tank top, platform shoes and Oxford bags. Surely a cloak wouldn't have looked any more out of place than a lime green crocheted hat with a button sewn onto the middle of the brim that made you look like a Cyclops (which is what I wore).