The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-16-2002, 12:15 PM   #1
the_master_of_puppets
Haunting Spirit

the_master_of_puppets has just left Hobbiton.
Sting names and their meanings

After reading the review on the Downs today it was brought to my attention the fact Tolkien may 'perhaps' (enphisis on the perhaps there) have chosen his character names for certain reasons and something else to do with planned irony or something like that (but i dont think i was that exactly). Was i the only one too stupid to notice, or was it the case that perhaps it wasnt like that at all? Again, im just curious about other peoples views...
the_master_of_puppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 02:36 PM   #2
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I noticed that between Merry and Pippin, Merry was the more serious one, and Pippin was, well... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
(That's the best I can describe it!)

I hope that answers your question.

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 02:40 PM   #3
the_master_of_puppets
Haunting Spirit

Sting

do you mean merry and pippin's characters were created in that way to kind of work off each other, and inspier certain situations, because pippin was more outragous and amusing to the read than perhaps merry who was more sensible and care taking? Incidently, in the movie merry's role was likened very much to that of Pippins
Old 02-16-2002, 02:45 PM   #4
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

I know that Tolkien made many of the names of his characters and places based on Welsh language. I dont know about planned irony though.
Old 02-16-2002, 03:47 PM   #5
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Okay, I don't know about planned, but I noticed several name/personality comparisions. Which, by the way, I do with all great literature.

Grima Wormtongue - He is the bearer of grim news to King Thoeden. Wormtongue reminds me of a silver-tongued devil. He is also serving two masters, Thoeden and Saurman.

Samwise - I know that it is not seen very often this way, mostly he is called Sam. Samwise, in his own way, is very wise. He realizes where Frodo went and goes along with him - "Breaking of the Fellowship". He makes wise decisions all along the way.

Sauron - sounds like sorrow when you say it fast. He is the one responsible for bring sorrow upon the earth.

Sauruman - sounds like sorrow-man. Because of his lust for the ring, he brought sorrow to the Elves, hobbits, dwarves and men.

I know that there are others, can't remember them for the live of me.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 04:16 PM   #6
the_master_of_puppets
Haunting Spirit

Sting

thank u very much joy! those actually make complete sense [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2002, 04:28 PM   #7
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I found out that Gimli was taken from Norse mythology.

Gimli was the heavenly hall where the new order of gods lived after Ragnarok, which was the last battle between Good and Evil. Most of Heaven and Earth were destroyed, but a new heaven and earth arose. Gimli was the fairest of the heavenly halls.

"Gimli" still seems to be a popular term in some Northern European countries to describe a "heavenly" or peaceful place.

Doesn't sound like "our" Gimli, does it? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 10:09 PM   #8
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

Quote:
Originally posted by Joy:
<STRONG>
Sauruman - sounds like sorrow-man. Because of his lust for the ring, he brought sorrow to the Elves, hobbits, dwarves and men.</STRONG>
And to himself.
Old 02-16-2002, 10:22 PM   #9
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Actually, Tolkien tells us that "Samwise" means "halfwit". Sam is not supposed to be a genius, but he has a lot of good old earthy common sense. It's his loyalty that brings out his wise decisions. If only I could be that loyal... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

I think that Tolkien chose all his names with utmost care. That's the kind of artist he was. Like Glorfindel. What a name!
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 10:49 PM   #10
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Sting

Some one stated on a forum that Gimli meant heaven in some language of Europe.

They noted that this didn't sound like our Gimli. Well, I beg to differ.

Gimli was the only dwarf that was able to pass over the Sundering Seas and dwelt with the Eldar. Being that the land of Valimar is likened to Heaven, could not Tolkien chose this name for that reason? I think that he did.

[ February 16, 2002: Message edited by: Joy ]

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Old 02-17-2002, 05:36 PM   #11
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Sting

Actually it was on this very thread. [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img] Silly me didn't re-read when I started to post.

From Birdland
Quote:
Gimli was the heavenly hall where the new order of gods lived after Ragnarok, which was the last battle between Good and Evil. Most of Heaven and Earth were destroyed, but a new heaven and earth arose. Gimli was the fairest of the heavenly halls.

"Gimli" still seems to be a popular term in some Northern European countries to describe a "heavenly" or peaceful place.

Old 02-17-2002, 05:42 PM   #12
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Sting

While reading another thread on this section - I started to read again the part of Frodo and Saurman in "The Scourging of the Shire". I read this to my mom, and she noticed that Saurman's AKA was Sharky. She caught that he was like a shark, a devourer.

If you want to see other name/personality linkage, read some of Shakespear's work and read Mallory's Morte D'Authur.

Old 07-13-2003, 08:24 PM   #13
Sillabub
Wight

Sillabub has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Welll, there is that Liiiiitle thing about the quenya/sindar/whatever naming. See, the best examples I could provide are these:
Arwen='Ar'(royal)+'wen'(maiden)
Lomelinde='lome'(night)+'linde'(singer)
Morwen='Mor'(dark)+'wen'(maiden)
Eowyn='Eo'(horse)+modified 'wen'(maiden)
Isn't that cool?!I think so. Anyways,that's all I can think of for now. As for the stuff that's NOT in the least related to quenya (besides sindar, I don't like sindar) I'll just call it Rohirric just for the sake of it. So long! and also, if anyone knows the language of men, could they tell me about it?
Old 07-13-2003, 08:26 PM   #14
Sillabub
Wight

Silmaril

oh yes. And 'sharkey' comes from the orckish 'sharku', which means 'old man'. It was a name given to Saruman when he became.....not a wizard.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:27 PM   #15
Sillabub
Wight

Silmaril

And I'm pretty sure 'Elessar' means 'healer', at least I'm sure it's elvish most likely quenya.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:30 PM   #16
Sillabub
Wight

Silmaril

The name Sauron is the masculine version of 'saura' (from quenya) which means abhorred. To make this word into a MASCULINE name 'a' or in most cases 'on' is added. So Saura+on=Sauron, which means abhorred!
Old 07-16-2003, 02:37 PM   #17
Roccotari Eldandil
Haunting Spirit

Roccotari Eldandil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Most of the names are in either Quenya or Sindarin. But it is kind of funny to see the coincidences(sp?) like Gimli's name.
A few more: Orthanc="forked height" in Sindarin, but Anglo-Saxon orþanc (þ=th) means "cunning device"(a fitting name; Saruman has the ?Old English? word for cunning in it).
Incánus (Gandalf's old name in Gondor) is the same word, minus the accent, for "grey-haired" in Latin.

Sillabub--Not to be overly critical, but a few corrections to your posts:
Éowyn=éo-(Rohirric or Old English "horse")+ modified winë (R or OE "friend", I think.)
about Elessar: you're right, it IS Quenya, but it means "Elf-stone." Elen "star" + sar "stone", with n changing to s because ns can't happen in Quenya.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:38 PM   #18
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Whether they were meant for puns for not, the names in Tolkien's words were definately not random. He was a linguist you know. Grap a copy of "The Langauges of Tolkien's Middle-earth" by Ruth S. Noel, it gives a lot of translations for names that I hadn't seen anywhere else. For example, you were talking about Gimli: It's Old Norse for "lee of flame" and "highest heaven". And add a second 'n' and an accent to the second 'a' in Gandalf and it's Old Norse for "sorceror elf". Weird huh?
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 03:56 PM   #19
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned the Linguistic Puns, Riddles, and Jokes in LOTR, etc thread yet. It discusses some of the same concepts that are being discussed here. Take a look! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Peace
Old 07-16-2003, 04:48 PM   #20
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Old English wyn or wynn means 'delight, joy'.

"Gandalf is a substitution in the English narrative on the same lines as the treatment of Hobbit and Dwarf names. It is an actual Norse name (found applied to a Dwarf in Völuspá) used by me since it appears to contain gandr, a staff, especially one used in "magic," and might be supposed to mean "Elvish wight with a (magic) staff." (UT 4,II)

Everything else is stated in the books as well as long as it is significant.
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 05:14 PM   #21
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Here are a couple that I noted:

Elladan: "ell"-->"edhel"=Elf and "adan"=Man; thus being something of a tribute to his heritage.

Elrohir: "el"-->"edhel"=Elf and "rohir"=horse=lord, which Tolkien, in this case had mean knight.

I just found this rather interesting. You can find more like this at Arda.

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 07-17-2003, 04:19 AM   #22
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sillabub,

Quote:
'saura' (from quenya) which means abhorred
Doesn't 'saura' also mean 'foul'? I've always interpretted it that way.

And wasn't Legolas called 'Legolas' because he prefferred to travel on foot? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Best,

~Tarien

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 09:05 AM   #23
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Tarien,
About Legolas: It is a bit interesting that 'leg' is part of Legolas' name, but I doubt that Tolkien was thinking that when he named the elf prince. His name is translated for us and means 'green-leaf'. This is why Galadriel calls him 'Legolas Greenleaf' in her warning to him about the sea; Greenleaf is NOT his last name.

And I don't think he particularly (sp?) perferred walking. He seemed happy enough with Arod.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:06 AM   #24
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

That's true. I'm assuming that he was called Legolas Greenleaf among the non-Elven folk, and Legolas Thranduilion ("Son of Thranduil") among the Elves, since he really didn't have an epessë.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 12:30 PM   #25
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

Quote:
since he really didn't have an epessë
Or we just don't know his epessë. Many elves had even three "official" names(if i remember right).

All i know about legolas's name is that las=leaf(at least in Quenya) and the rest should mean green. But that confuses me a bit since green=galen(or something like that) and i don't recognice that element from his name.

I have been wondering the name Isildur. There's obviously Isil(/Ithil)=the Moon and dur=tower -> Moontower?
Is my conclusion from the name all wrong?
Old 07-17-2003, 09:26 PM   #26
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
The name Grima has noting to do with grim news. It has EVERYTHING to do with the Anglo-Saxon (And Rohirrim) word "Grima" which means 'helmet'or 'mask' or in more poetical senses "Ghost"

Now the name "Grima son of Galmod" as Gandalf calls him

"Mod' is the Anglo-Saxon word for 'heart' as in the personality or soul. 'Gal' is wanton or licentious. Galmod, a wanton or licentious heart.

oh and the Wormtongue part. I think that come from 'wyrm' which could be a snake or dragon. Snakes have forked tongues, and to say someone has a forked tongue is to say they are decietful. Wormtonge is a way of saying he is a liar and/or deciever.

[ July 17, 2003: Message edited by: Frodo Baggins ]
Old 07-18-2003, 12:18 PM   #27
Elentári
Wight

Elentári has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

About 'legolas'...I think in Lost Tales (1 or 2, can't remember) there was a note put in by Tolkien saying:
Quote:
Note
Laigolas = green-leaf (Quenya: laiqa, Gnomish or Noldorin: laigos = green, green-ness; Quenya: lassë, Gnomish or Noldorin: lass = leaf)
becoming archaic because of final form [of laigos] becoming laib [green], gave Legolast i.e. keen-sight (last: 'look, glance', leg, lêg 'keen, piercing'). But perhaps both were his naems, as the Gnomes [Noldor] delighted to give two similar-sounding names of dissimilar meaning, as Laigolas Legolast, Túrin Turambar.Legolas the ordinary form is a confusion of the two'
So when Galadriel calls Legolas 'Legolas Greenleaf', I assume this is because Legolas is loosly translated as 'green-leaf'
By the way, in the above quote, the Laigolas Legolast referred to I think is possibly the Legolas who lived in Gondolin, 'who led the exiles over Tumladin in the dark, being night-sighted, and he liveth still in Tol Eressëa named by the Eldar there Laiqalassë...' because he is the only other person who Tolkien wrote about having a name roughly similar to Legolas. Does that make sense? Maybe not, but nevermind.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:26 PM   #28
Roccotari Eldandil
Haunting Spirit

Roccotari Eldandil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Finwe-- I just read something in Letters that might help clear up your galen confusion. It says in one of them (sorry, can't remember which; I had to return it to the library. grr.) that laeg was the old Sindarin word for green, but it was replaced later on by galen/calen. Leg- is a corruption of laeg.

[ July 18, 2003: Message edited by: Roccotari Eldandil ]
Old 07-19-2003, 06:02 AM   #29
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

From Appendix F- On Translation:

For most Hobbits, Tolkien just took the sound and look of their normal name and modernised it- for example changing the endings to ones which look more traditionally masculine or feminine to us. This means the names look and sound similar to the originals. For example: Bilbo, Bungo, Polo, Lotho, Tanta, Nina, Otho, Odo Dora, Drogo, Cora. However there were exceptions...

Samwise is a "modernization of ancient English (samwis)" meaning "half-wise, simple" (a charming thing to call your son)- a translation of his Hobbit name Banazir. In this case, Tolkien says, he translated for meaning as opposed to leaving it close to the original.

Similarly for Hamfast, meaning "stay at home"- a translation of Ranagud.

Finally, and I'm surprised no-one has picked up on this yet as it's a word in common use- Merry. His Hobbit name was Kalimac, shortened to Kali. Kali meant "jolly" and so Tolkien translated the shortened form to Merry in order to convey that, instead of modernising his actual name. (Even though he says that he mostly left the Bucklander's names alone as "if queer now, they were queer in their own day").

So yes, I think the names definitely mean something. Oh, and if you haven't PLEASE read Appendix F. It's absolutely fascinating! And it's an extention of the story really, as Tolkien is still acting like he found the book and translated it.

[ July 19, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 06:35 AM   #30
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Good point made by Elven-Maiden about Merry being merry. It might sound a bit obvious at first, but when you think about it, it's quite notable that these two are known by two different names (even if Pippin is clearly the more merry one). Having the choice of names between Meriadoc and Merry, and Peregrin and Pippin, allows the hobbits to have two different characters.

The name Peregrin son of Paladin suits the owner to a T once he puts on the sable and silver of a Knight of the Citadel. Likewise, Merry has a tough knight side and a cheery hobbit side. These two seem to grow into their original names towards the end of the story, but always manage to retain some of their childishness. They would certainly have been called Merry and Pip to their closest friends even after becoming famous hobbit captains at the Battle of Bywater.

Aragorn and Strider are the most obvious other dual naming of this kind. The more noble and kingly he becomes throughout the story, the more he is referred to as Aragorn, and later the Lord Aragorn, plus all his 50 other names. Gandalf has dozens of names, as well, which certainly emphasises the fact his personality has many different sides. Gandalf is the least formal-sounding of his many names; when he is referred to as Mithrandir, it somehow makes him seem more respected and lordly. Tolkien was very good with words, like that.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:29 PM   #31
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

I have now been studying OE. I love how so many words today (and in LotR) have the connection to Oe and the Germanic languages.

Elrohir - I don't know how I missed this name meaning.

Old 06-05-2004, 01:56 AM   #32
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Fascination with names

Quote:
Also it gives me great pleasure, a good name. I always in writing start with a name. Give me a name and it produces a story, not the other way about normally. (Tolkien)
Interesting, no? He didn't come up with the story first, and then ponder possible names for the characters; instead a character's name made him think of a specific story to fit that character. That's partly responsible for the realistic quality of his tales (if one can call fantasy realistic, which I believe one can). So names were hardly given at random and most of the time they have double meaning: one in the context of Middle Earth, the other, in the context of our real world, if one is lucky (or learned) enough to decypher them.
Yavanna, the link you provided is not working so I'll put here my recent discovery (though one you may be already familiar with): the city of Edinburgh in Celtic is called Dunedin (Dunedain, anyone? Now we know where Rangers come from ).
Old 06-05-2004, 02:29 AM   #33
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Here is the link that Yavanna gave.

Linguistic Puns

Old 06-05-2004, 06:09 AM   #34
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

I think it's fun to read these kinds of discussions because you'll always have someone say SamWISE, then you'll always have someone who says, "Actually, it means half-wit." Maybe Tolkien meant to do that.

To continue that thought: In the "Epilogue" of LotR (HoME v 9), Aragorn writes a letter to Sam; it's written all in Elvish. In the letter, he asks all Sam's family to come and see him as he passes by, and in inviting all the family, he translates all their names into Elvish. Then he makes a pun in saying that "half-wise" should be called "full-wise."

Also, something I noticed reading App. F, the 'sam' part of Samwise means 'half', so all thoughout the book, they're calling a Halfling 'half'.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:02 PM   #35
Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Bombadil
Boots

I do not know if any have brought up the possibility that "half" could perhaps be short for halfling, therefore giving Samwise the title of a wise halfling. Perhaps not brought up due to the improbability this is the case, but it makes one think.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:31 PM   #36
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dancing Spawn of Ungoliant:
I have been wondering the name Isildur. There's obviously Isil(/Ithil)=the Moon and dur=tower -> Moontower?
Is my conclusion from the name all wrong?
The ending -(n)dur means something like "devoted servant" (eg :Elendur,Isildur's eldest son) just as the ending -(n)dil means "friend". (Amandil, Elendil, Mardil)

and btw, in Barad-dûr, the dark tower: it is "Barad" which means tower,
Old 06-05-2004, 06:26 PM   #37
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
The following is something I posted to another thread not too long ago, but it has more bearing here:

Quote:
As has been acknowledged elsewhere in the forum Frodo’s name comes from the Old German word ‘frodá’ meaning ‘wise by experience’. Frodo’s journey is very much a journey from innocence into wisdom, which is precisely what philosophy (which is Greek for “love of wisdom” ) is all about! The fact that this journey to wisdom is painful and arduous I think only re-enforces the deeply philosophical interest and impetus of the text, for who but a philosopher would know better the difficulty (impossibility?) of achieving true wisdom within the time of human history and experience.

The names of Aragorn and Arwen also point to equally weighty philosophical concerns:

• ‘Ar’ is Old English (the language that Professor Tolkien devoted his professional life to studying and teaching) and has several meanings. When applied to a person it denotes a messenger, in particular a servant or herald of God (angel or apostle). When presented as a quality it means glory, honour, reverence, dignity, grace, favour or pity.

• ‘agorn’ (in OE) means to have or possess, or to deliver and restore; it can also mean to come forth, grow, or approach.

Aragorn’s name therefore has been very carefully chosen by Tolkien to mean the possession, approach and restoration of all that ‘ar’ denotes. This is not allegory (in which case Aragorn’s name would be something like Truth and Sauron’s would be Falsehood), but it demonstrates the philosophical nature of the text from the very groundwork out of which it was built (the names that Tolkien constructed). But this philosophical pattern goes even further when we consider the implications of Arwen’s name. We’ve got ‘ar’ again, but with ‘wen’ a whole new slew of connotations enters the text:

• ‘wenn’ means belief, hope, expectation, and is a form of ‘wenan’ which means to believe in, expect or hope and fear for an outcome

• ‘wyn’ means joy, rapture or delight.

Arwen’s name them means variously the delight or joy of ‘ar’ (so it makes perfect sense that she would love Aragorn) and belief and hope in, expectation of the fulfilment or arrival or ‘ar’ (so it makes perfect sense that Aragorn’s journey is concluded only when he marries Arwen).

The names of these two characters points the way to a whole series of what I think are explicitly philosophical explorations of the manner in which ‘ar’ is brought about, found, hoped for, nourished and realised in human history. This is far more than a simple fairy-tale love story between a hero and his lady – the relationship of Aragorn and Arwen is a dynamic and important part of the overall fabric, which explores the nature of Aragorn’s revelation of his innate wisdom, in relation to Frodo’s slow and painful growth into wisdom.
Fordim Hedgethistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:56 AM   #38
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

Some thoughts on Legolas's name:

Obviously, it means Greenleaf, but as to what was said *checks thread* well, a year ago, that green=galen. There was a river in Beleriand called the Legolin. Unless I am very mistaken, this means 'Green River', in=river, as in 'anduin', so Legolas's name is split like this: "Logol" and "as", "Legol" meaning 'green' and not "lego".

Some actual on-topic thoughts:

The name "Frodo" is derived from the Anglo-Saxon name "Froda", which, according to my little copy of Beowulf here is the name of one of the kings. Tolkien had said many, many times that he was influenced by Beowulf, and who could be more deserving of a king's name than the Ringbearer?
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 04:07 AM   #39
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Thanks Guivenere, I had already forgotten this thread And yes indeed; "dûr" means dark...that was my bad.
As in the name Anduin, "an(d)" = long and "duin" = a (long) river. "Lin" itself means pool or lake as in Linaewen. That could mean that it's "lego" that means green and not "legol" if we all agree that "las" means leaf. I read somewhere in this forum a great explanation of Legolas' name but I can't find it
Old 06-06-2004, 04:29 AM   #40
NightKnight
Lost among the Stars

NightKnight has just left Hobbiton.
I read in a Tolkien quiz book that all the dwarf names from The Hobbit come from Norse mythology.