The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2002, 07:41 PM   #1
AddictedtoRumil
Haunting Spirit

AddictedtoRumil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril What was your favorite scene from TTT?

I have too many favorite scenes does anyone have a particular scene that they liked the most?
Old 12-19-2002, 08:54 PM   #2
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dūm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Helm's Deep.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:06 PM   #3
Have a day
Pile O'Bones

Have a day has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Have a day
Sting

Helms deep and the dead marshes

"There once was an alliance between the preps and the punks..." From my unholy mockery 'Lord of the scrunchie'
Have a day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 09:18 PM   #4
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mae govannen, Have a Day! Welcome to the Downs and may your rest be long and peaceful.<P>My favorite scene in the Two Towers was Sam's final speech in Osgiliath. (But trust me, it wasn't Osgiliath that made it my favorite.) It brought tears to my eyes, and really kind of summed up Sam's spirit. "Nothing can dampen your spirits, can it, Sam?" said Frodo, and that speech really brought it home. There is, indeed, good in the world and it is, indeed, worth fighting for, and my Sam said it so well.../composes self/ I'm fine, really.<P>~*~Orual~*~
Old 12-19-2002, 10:13 PM   #5
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dūm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I really liked the part when Aragorn thinks that Pippin and Merry are dead and he kicks the helmet, and of course, Helm's Deep.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 07:57 PM   #6
MallornLeaf
Haunting Spirit

MallornLeaf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MallornLeaf
Silmaril

I loved every scene of course! some highlights: gimli's humour. Sam's loyalty and humor. gollum's conversations. well... just everything was so awesome!<P>A note about Strider kicking the helmet: when Viggo actually shot that scene he broke his toes while kicking that orc's helmet.

"I pass the test, I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel."
MallornLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 11:02 PM   #7
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

The Nazgūl and Frodo....sounds like "duel of the fates", lol.
Old 12-21-2002, 08:04 AM   #8
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> A note about Strider kicking the helmet: when Viggo actually shot that scene he broke his toes while kicking that orc's helmet <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ouch!<P>I loved the whole movie. There were many great parts with Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas. Merry and Pippin's parts were good to. But like in the book I liked Frodo, Sam and Gollum's parts the best. The tatters conversation between Sam and Gollum was wonderful. And of course I can't help but love Gollum and Smeagol's fight. I loved all their parts in Osgiliath even though it wasn't in the book.<P>And to round it all off I loved Sam talking about being in stories. "Samwise the Brave."
Old 12-21-2002, 08:08 AM   #9
Aragorn2002
Haunting Spirit

Aragorn2002 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aragorn2002
Helms Deep<P>What happening? I can't see a thing!<BR>Would you like me to describe it for you, or would you like a box?
________
Mexican cooking

Last edited by Aragorn2002; 04-15-2011 at 03:19 AM.
Aragorn2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 10:22 AM   #10
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It oviously has to be one of the Sam/Frodo/Gollum -scenes, but wich one... I loved all of them (I do have some complaints, but the scenes were mostly really good), except the Nazgul-thing, wich was AWFUL. So let me see...<BR> The "Don't you recognise your Sam?" -scene broke my heart, but even if it was the most emotional one, it probably wasn't the best. So, my vote goes to the ending. It was like seeing an old, beloved friend. THANK YOU, PJ, for that scene.<P>(I can't point out a single scene with Sam/Frodo/Gollum interaction, because they're all getting jumbled in my head. I'll have a better opinion when I've seen it a second time. Now all I can say is that everything with Gollum in it was superb.)
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 10:28 AM   #11
engwaalphiel
Haunting Spirit

engwaalphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gollum's monologue ! That was just pure genius! Helm's deep was obviously a hightlight . When all the archers are lined on the walls and the uruk-hai etc are approaching there is so much tension.<BR>Also I think that one of the last scences with the conversation between Sam and Frodo on if they will be made into a tale is touching to see. Especially with the music signifying the Shire playing . A lot like old times!

"Utślie'n aurė! Aiya Eldaliė ar Atanatįri, utślie'n aurė!
engwaalphiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 01:42 PM   #12
gayare'dion
Haunting Spirit

gayare'dion has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

i loved how the easterlings looked!
Old 12-21-2002, 04:18 PM   #13
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I loved all the stuff right before Helm's Deep, all the stuff during Helm's Deep, and all the stuff right after Helm's Deep!!!!! LOL <P>Can you tell that I can't make up my mind!!!!! lol
Old 12-21-2002, 04:42 PM   #14
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

The Smeagol / Gollum part.
Old 12-21-2002, 04:53 PM   #15
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dūm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> A note about Strider kicking the helmet: when Viggo actually shot that scene he broke his toes while kicking that orc's helmet. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>So that pained expression was more than just good acting. <P>I liked the Easterlings too, but they were a little, well, feminine.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 05:12 PM   #16
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I <B>loved</B> the Herbs and Stewed Rabbit scene! I felt like crying when Sam tells Frodo that the Gaffer would have something to say about their situation. If only there were more scenes with Gaffer quotes in them... (sigh)
Old 12-21-2002, 08:33 PM   #17
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

I, like a lot of others it seems, loved the Frodo/Sam/Gollum scenes. "Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbits" and "Samwise the Brave" in particular.<P>I did like the part where Frodo almost kills Sam and Sam says, "Don't you know your Sam?" That was good microcosm for my opinions of the movie—on the one hand I didn't like seeing them go to Osgiliath and was perplexed by the Nazgul/Frodo thing, but on the other hand, all of a sudden this wonderful part pops up in the middle of that and swings my outlook again, leaving me all discombobulated!<P>You know what really tickled my fancy? The fact that Frodo got to see the Oliphaunt. In the book he was sleeping, and I always felt bad about that. I knew it wouldn't mean as much to him as it did Sam, but I still didn't like the fact that he slept through it. Another one of my personal quirks. So anyway, I kind of have this stubborn tendency to imagine that he <I>did</I> see it, so when he got to see it in the movie I was all tickled pink. (Ah, those blissful minutes before Faramir arrived on screen...)<p>[ December 21, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 12-21-2002, 08:41 PM   #18
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Taure Leafsilver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Taure Leafsilver
Sting

Po-Ta-Toes! bwahahahaha!!!!! yes that was one of my favorites. That and Sams's little story speaches. I cried.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:55 PM   #19
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The scene in which Gandalf, the White Rider and the Riders of Rohan enter the Battle of Helm's Deep was my favorite.<P>gayare'dion, I loved the way the easterlings looked, too. Eomer was awesome and I would have loved a little more screen time with him.<P>I also thought windblown Edoras was wonderful.
Old 12-22-2002, 12:08 AM   #20
birdland

Sting

I loved the opening scenes with Gandalf's battle with the Balrog.<P>Also the long shots of the Ents at Isengard, with the waters rushing around them was too beautiful. <P>Gollum at the Forbidden pool was great Him singing to the fish, then beating it was too funny. <P>There was a shot earlier in the film where you see Gandalf riding Shadowfax bareback that I can still see. (I wonder if that was CGI or just one incredible stunt rider?)<P>And the tracking shot of the Three Walkers were great, too.<P>See, I didn't hate the movie! It just didn't all come together for me or move me as much as the first one.
Old 12-22-2002, 12:19 AM   #21
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Not to burst your bubble or anything Birdland, but I think I remember the scene your talking about (it was great, and I took close notice for any visible saddle), but I realized that Gandalf's cloak seems curiously stuck to Shadowfax's side. THere's plenty of space for a saddle under there, so at least its real!
Old 12-22-2002, 12:39 AM   #22
birdland

Sting

Iarwain - Yes, but there was no bridle. Of course, they could have erased the bridle using film trickery, but the way the horses head was moving just made it seem that he was not being guided in the conventional sense. So don't rain on my parade, Iarwain. He was riding bareback, so there. <P>Actually, here's a lovely snippet that Sir Ian wrote about the horses in TT: <A HREF="http://www.mckellen.com/cinema/lotr/001003.htm" TARGET=_blank>Grey Book - October, 2000</A>
Old 12-22-2002, 01:22 AM   #23
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Fav parts, there are many:<P>~Osgiliath... yes, it was not in the book, but it was a very good moment starting with Frodo saying, "They're here". It's a little creepy, but I like it... then the stuff with him and Sam *sniffle*<BR>~Entmoot, Merry, "You're part of this world!"<BR>~Moments between Gollum and Sam... hee hee.<BR>~When Theoden is released and looks at Eowyn and says, "I know your face".<BR>~The friendship aspects between Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli... especially when Legolas goes to apologize to Aragorn and when Aragorn arrives at Helm's Deep. "You're late, you look terrible".<BR>~Helm's Deep, of course.<BR>~The introduction of Gandalf the White.<BR>~I don't know why, but I like how Frodo's eyes get teary when Gollum is devouring the coney in front of him.<P>There are lots of small moments and single lines as well, but I will not list them all. I think I've typed enough
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 01:32 AM   #24
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dūm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh, I ADORED Sam's speeches at the end. That was the best part of the movie in my opinion. Totally loved it.<P>** hug ** Samwise the faithful!
Old 12-22-2002, 04:37 AM   #25
Haldir
Animated Skeleton

Haldir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Haldir
Sting

I don't really like the action scenes, so I<BR>guess my favorite scenes are the ones with<BR>Gollum, if I have to choose one in praticular<BR>than I guess the scene where Gollum bring<BR>the Hobbits two bunnies and Sam makes a bunny<BR>soup, but Gollum thinks he ruins the bunnies
Haldir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 08:35 AM   #26
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hm...watch out Legolas, I think Sam is the one whose going to have fangirls now.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:57 AM   #27
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Taure Leafsilver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Taure Leafsilver
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I think Sam is the one whose going to have fangirls now. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <BR>Yay! I think "Samwise the brave/faithful/tearjerking/inspiring/insightful/ect." deserves it! The third movie should be interesting!
Old 12-23-2002, 04:47 PM   #28
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I didn't like the movie very much as a whole, but I loved the Ents destroying the Isengard!!!!!
Old 12-23-2002, 09:33 PM   #29
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I'll have to go with that devine shot of Aragorn pushing open the big doors when they all thought he was dead. Yumm!
Old 12-23-2002, 11:02 PM   #30
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

Sam's speech at the end.<P>The ents trashing Isengard.<P>Merry's "But you're part of this world!"<P>Pippin's idea! <P>Helm's Deep, of course.<P>All Gollum's conversations with himself. (and Sam: What's Taters, precious?)<P>All Eomer's scenes. (especially the one with Grima)<P>I also loved all the scenes with Arwen and Elrond. The one where Aragorn died and she was standing there in black. Then he was stone and she was still there, etc. It made me cry rivers.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:54 AM   #31
PippinSqueak
Pile O'Bones

PippinSqueak has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

The whole movie was great! But my favorite part was probably during Helm's Deep..when all the elves came marching in to help. That scene had really spiffy music too. But it was really sad when Haldir died.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:57 AM   #32
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> That scene had really spiffy music, too. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yeah, it was awesome! That was also one of my favorite parts, even though it wasn't in the books. The elvish precision was great! (oh, and notice that the cool music is not on the soundtrack!!! grr...)
Old 12-25-2002, 11:53 PM   #33
akwhaman

Shield

yah, i really loved that Sam's inspiring speech in the end in Osgilath. That really summed up the whole story, and brought it to a deeper level. It had the really-nice music playing, and the mixed collage of images of the battle- that scene really brought me to tears<P>the movie sort of started slow, but then it was moving scene's like Sam's speech and Aragorn's and Arwen's romance that really brought it together. i really liked that part when Elrond told Arwen the consequences of staying in middle earth, and it showed her standing next to Aragorn's grave- that part really changed my view of Arwen; i didn't really like her in the first movie, but in TTT i really felt sorry for her<P>cool movie! already watched it 4 times in the theatres! cheers to PJ
Old 12-26-2002, 12:30 AM   #34
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
I loved the Entire movie, but my absolute favorite part was Sam's speech in the end. It was just so wonderful, and So Sam (In a way). I enjoyed the scenes in Rohan, and I also enjoyed when Legolas meets Aragorn after he falls over the cliff, and says "you're late", and then "You look terrible". I thought that was wonderful and helped to display Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn's friendship.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:00 AM   #35
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

1. Gandalf falling with the Balrog<P>2. the explosion at Helm's Deep<P>3. the shot of Saruman's army where Orthanc is in middle and you are flying backward over his vast legions<P>4. Gandalf's Super-Whistling Technique<P>5. the orc with the fierce eyes at Helm's Deep, snarling up at the defenders<P>6. Craig Parker getting butchered
Old 12-28-2002, 12:38 AM   #36
Andkrisiel

Tolkien

My favorite part in the movie is when Legolas slides down the stairs on the shield...know where skate boarding cames from now.....
Old 12-28-2002, 01:08 AM   #37
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Thumbs up

Gandalf vs. the Balrog, the conversation of Gandalf and Theoden at the tomb, all of Helm's Deep, the flash-forward to Aragorn's death and Arwen's resulting grief, Gollum's brilliant schizophrenic episode, the horrific tense moments between Frodo and Sam, all of the interactions between Aragorn and Eowyn, and Theoden's recital of the poem!!!<P>How can you forget that? That was one of Bernard Hill's most touching moments.
Old 12-28-2002, 02:24 AM   #38
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dūm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

My favorite scene from TTT was when Gandalf and the Rohirrium where riding down the hill, about to attack the orcs. I thought that looked so neat! Also when Gandalf was fighting the Balrog in the very beginning.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 01:42 PM   #39
The Necromancer
Pile O'Bones

The Necromancer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My absolute favorite scene was where Frodo and Sam are at the Black Gate to Mordor and Sam slides down the hill and Frodo goes after to rescue him and they're almost caught by the creepy looking guards; I also liked most of Gimli's humour, especially the "toss me, but don't tell the elf!" priceless! Of course, you would have had to have seen FOTR to really get that, but who hasn't? the battle with the wolf creatures, the dead marshes, Legolas sliding down the stairs on the shield and shooting down the ladder carrying all the orcs and why don't I just put the whole movie and be done with it????
Old 12-28-2002, 01:53 PM   #40
Luinėcolloien
Animated Skeleton

Luinėcolloien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luinėcolloien
Sting

Like everyone else, a few--<P>-When the elves arrived at Helm's Deep and music they played.<BR>-The Flooding of Isengard, and when Treebeard called the Ents out and they marched, and the music they played during that.<BR>-'Toss me!' Haha.<BR>-The entire Helm's Deep scene.<BR>-Shadowfax being called.<P>Wow.. I should stop. This could go on forever.
Luinėcolloien is offline   Reply With Quote