The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-02-2002, 06:43 PM   #1
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting News about the TTT soundtrack!

Exclusive Clarifying Specs on The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers soundtracks!<BR> Release Date: 11/01/2002<BR> <P>Due to the prevalence of internet rumor gone amok, SoundtrackNet and Reprise/WMG Soundtracks are proud to provide you with some clarifying information regarding the upcoming soundtrack releases for The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, by Howard Shore.<P>The release for this soundtrack will mirror the pattern set last year for The Fellowship of the Ring. A regularly priced soundtrack ($18.99 or so) will be issued, with five collectable double-sided trading cards. <P>A Limited Edition, ($29.99 or so) will also be released, in similar look-and-feel to last year's Limited Edition, but will contain an extra bonus track, "Farewell to Lórien" from The Fellowship of the Ring: Special Edition DVD. It will not be a 2-CD release.<P>There is also going to be a special third release of the score, in a limited run of 5,000 copies, that would only be available online. More details will be announced shortly.<P>All three versions will contain enhancements and/or web links that are currently being worked on and we will keep you posted as to what those will be.<P>A track listing follows:<P>1. Foundations Of Stone<BR>2. The Taming Of Sméagol<BR>3. The Riders Of Rohan<BR>4. The Passage Of The Marshes<BR>5. The Uruk-hai<BR>6. The King Of The Golden Hall<BR>7. The Black Gate Is Closed<BR>8. Evenstar (featuring Isabel Bayrakdarian)<BR>9. The White Rider<BR>10. Treebeard<BR>11. The Leave Taking<BR>12. Helm's Deep<BR>13. The Forbidden Pool<BR>14. Breath Of Life (featuring Sheila Chandra)<BR>15. The Hornburg<BR>16. Forth Eorlingas (featuring Ben Del Maestro)<BR>17. Isengard Unleashed (featuring Elizabeth Fraser & Ben Del Maestro)<BR>18. Samwise The Brave<BR>19. Gollum's Song (performed by Emiliana Torrini)<BR>20. (Bonus Track): Farewell To Lórien (featuring Hilary Summers)<P>Special thanks to Jason Cienkus for clearing all this up.<BR> <BR>Dan Goldwasser- (dsg@soundtrack.net)<BR> (information from soundtrack.net)<P>~M
Old 11-02-2002, 07:54 PM   #2
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thx for the info Morquesse
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 12:48 AM   #3
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

More info about the vocalists performing on the CD can be found <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1036194904" TARGET=_blank>HERE</A>
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 05:31 AM   #4
Ravendah

Sting

We shall see if the addition of vocal parts to the music is in any way connected with the deepening feeling of M-E which PJ has so unambiguously hinted at... that "autumny" atmosphere which I don't see being achieved by drums and choirs alone (and I wonder when we get to hear Bilbo's party music in some "Complete Super Special 6-CD Trilogy Version ST" ).<p>[ November 03, 2002: Message edited by: Ravendah ]
Old 11-03-2002, 03:35 PM   #5
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Shield

Ah! That looks so cool! I'm very curious to hear "Gollum's Song." The concept of Gollum having a song seems a bit...odd. But I'll wait and listen.<P>Just reading the track list makes me wish I could see the movie sooner! But I'll be content with buying the soundtrack, I guess. (Hmmm...Forth Eorlingas! I'm glad that's gonna be in there. )
Old 11-03-2002, 09:06 PM   #6
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

According to amazon.com, the soundtrack won't be released until Dec 10. That's almost as bad as waiting for the movie! *twitches in her seat*
Old 11-03-2002, 09:38 PM   #7
Helkasir
Haunting Spirit

Helkasir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

there better be some of the music form the trailer in the movie. It was so killer.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:02 PM   #8
DaughterofVana
Wight

DaughterofVana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm frightened by the name of track #8. WHY is there nothing in there that has any semblance to "Eowyn's Theme"??? Is this a herald of things to come?<P>-'Vana

Hi! Did you miss me?
DaughterofVana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 11:13 PM   #9
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> there better be some of the music form the trailer in the movie. It was so killer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I know, it was great. But it won't be in TTT 'cause it's by a different composer (Clint Mansel) and is from a different move(Requiem for a Dream). The piece is called Lux Aertna, and since that doesn't appear on the track listing... I may have DT's or something when I watch the movie, because I've viewed the trailer on my computer so many times, I have it memorized, music and all. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'm frightened by the name of track #8. WHY is there nothing in there that has any semblance to "Eowyn's Theme"??? Is this a herald of things to come? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think that "Breath of Life" may have to do with Éowyn...I mean, in the book it did seem like Aragorn's arrival was a "Breath of Life" in her miserable existence. Which of course made her more miserable later on, but you know.
Old 11-04-2002, 12:18 AM   #10
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You are welcome Mollecon, and thank you Tigerlily for the additional information on the additional artists! <BR>Brinniel, I know what you mean because I looked at amazon too. Weird. Maybe there will be different release dates for different editions?<BR>See ya, <BR>~M
Old 11-04-2002, 06:33 AM   #11
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Okay. This is exactly what I've been waiting for. I think that now we know the order of the songs we should be able to plot out what order the movie will be in. Some of the names of the tracks I can't figure out so please help me fill in the blanks in the list:<P>1. Foundations Of Stone- I'm thinking that the "foundations of stone" refer to those rocky hills Frodo and Sam had to climb through. I can't remember their name right now. This suggests that we start the movie with Frodo and Sam at this point.<P>2. The Taming Of Sméagol- This, I would think, will be the music for the Taming of Smeagol. So apparently this is the next scene.<BR>3. The Riders Of Rohan- At this point I'm guessing PJ switches us over to Legolas, Aragorn, and Gimli when the meet the Riders of Rohan.<P>4. The Passage Of The Marshes- back over to Frodo, Sam, and a newly aquired pet Gollum. j/k. Gollum's not a pet.<P>5. The Uruk-hai- By now everyone in the theater will want to know what's happening to Merry and Pippin so here is where PJ seems to have put their first scene.<P>6. The King Of The Golden Hall-Um...Back to Aragorn Legolas and Gimli. I guess they find Gandalf then go to see Theoden.<P>7. The Black Gate Is Closed- Once again, back to Frodo, Sam, and Gollum.<BR>8. Evenstar (featuring Isabel Bayrakdarian)- The only Evenstar I know of in this tale besides the one in the sky is Arwen so I think that this is where all that extra stuff with Arwen and Elrond will go here.<P>9. The White Rider- This title confuses me. Because the chapter the White Rider should have been earlier. So my theory is either the title is just to confuse us, this song is in the wrong place, this has nothing to do with the chapter it seems it does, or PJ has switched some things around.<P>10. Treebeard- Over to Merry and Pippin. We finnaly get to see Treebeard.<P>11. The Leave Taking- I have no idea what will go here.<P>12. Helm's Deep- I would guess this is the famed battle of Helm's Deep.<P>13. The Forbidden Pool- After a tence battle we go back to Sam and Frodo. I think they might have met Faramir during "the black gates are closed" so this might take place right at Faramir's hidout.<P>14. Breath Of Life (featuring Sheila Chandra)- I agree that this is probably a Eowyn song. <BR>15. The Hornburg- I can't remember the Hornburg.<BR>16. Forth Eorlingas (featuring Ben Del Maestro)- I can't think of what this is either.<BR>17. Isengard Unleashed (featuring Elizabeth Fraser & Ben Del Maestro)- Somthing to do with Isengard.<P>18. Samwise The Brave- What does Samwise do that's so brave if Shelob is not until the next movie? My bro suggest that this theme and Gollum's song is played whenever it is appropriate.<P>19. Gollum's Song (performed by Emiliana Torrini)- Hm..will the song go somthing like: "OH WEEEEEEE WANT THE PREEEECIOUSSSSSS!" LOL! XD<P>I'm basing this on no facts. Just my oun guesses. <P>Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 11-04-2002, 08:51 AM   #12
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sounds reasonable, Rose. I'll continue with my guessings from #9<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> 9. The White Rider- This title confuses me. Because the chapter the White Rider should have been earlier. So my theory is either the title is just to confuse us, this song is in the wrong place, this has nothing to do with the chapter it seems it does, or PJ has switched some things around. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I'm not sure I remember 100% correct, but as far as I recall (haven't got the book around) Gandalf goes a small 'visit' to Isengard before Helm's Deep, and he returns with the ... Huorn's? If he rides on Shadowfax we may see him on his way to Isengard.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> 11. The Leave Taking- I have no idea what will go here. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>(Skipped #10, as Rose already worked on it.)<BR>I guess it would be the Ent-meeting, and perhaps we also see the destruction on Isengard.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> 14. Breath Of Life (featuring Sheila Chandra)- I agree that this is probably a Eowyn song. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>They probably play it when Eowyn and Aragorn are "fighting" - sadly I've only seen 30 seconds of the trailer (shame on me), so I couldn't see the context of that scene.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> 15. The Hornburg- I can't remember the Hornburg. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I'm not sure I can either, but isn't it the tower of Cirith Ungol? The one to keep people inside Mordor? They might play it around Shelob?<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> 16. Forth Eorlingas (featuring Ben Del Maestro)- I can't think of what this is either. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Where the Eorlings ride towards Isengard, because they believe Saruman is still in charge.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> 17. Isengard Unleashed (featuring Elizabeth Fraser & Ben Del Maestro)- Somthing to do with Isengard. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>perhaps the scene, where Wormtongue throws the palantír out of the window.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> 18. Samwise The Brave- What does Samwise do that's so brave if Shelob is not until the next movie? My bro suggest that this theme and Gollum's song is played whenever it is appropriate. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Oops, if that Shelob-fact is true, it passed by me. But if she is in the movie, I think it' the scene, where Sam accepts to be Ringbearer, and afterwards go to rexcue Frodo, because he realizes his master is alive.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> 19. Gollum's Song (performed by Emiliana Torrini)- Hm..will the song go somthing like: "OH WEEEEEEE WANT THE PREEEECIOUSSSSSS!" LOL! XD <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Gollum actually sings something way earlier in the story, I think it's around the Marshes of Dead. I think this could be the Movie song (as "May It Be") - or not, but it would be a funny idea! <BR>Hope I didn't bore you!!
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 02:46 PM   #13
Ravendah

Sting

Actually, the order of chronological happenings is often mixed up in the soundtrack, just look at the latest Star Wars ST's. But of course some of the TTT soundtrack seems to be "in the right order" (and even the rest of it, somewhat loosely) as we can tell with the help of the books. I wouldn't make too specific guesses about, say, opening or closing shots on its basis, though.<p>[ November 04, 2002: Message edited by: Ravendah ]
Old 11-04-2002, 03:03 PM   #14
Helkasir
Haunting Spirit

Helkasir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

the hornburg, I believe, is the hollow out in front of helm's deep, where the forces of rohan fight the uruk hai. The white rider does not confuse me- it's most obviously the first time you see gandalf. The bravery of sam implies that shelob will get in the 2nd movie.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:48 PM   #15
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The bravery of sam implies that shelob will get in the 2nd movie. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Ohh...does that mean PJ has been misleading us?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Actually, the order of chronological happenings is often mixed up in the soundtrack, just look at the latest Star Wars ST's. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, but that's Star Wars. This is Lord of the Rings. If you look on the Fellowship of the Ring soundtrack most of the songs are in the order they're in, in the movie. I'm guessing it will be the same with this next movie. Of course you could be right. We won't know until we see the movie.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:55 PM   #16
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Shield

The Fellowship of the Ring was in order, but it excluded music. For instance, there was no track for the birthday party, yet there was music. So I'm assuming the same goes for TTT.<p>[ November 20, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 11-08-2002, 01:06 AM   #17
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Helkasir is right about Hornburg + I would have "The White Rider" BEFORE "The King Of The Golden Hall" if the order of the book(s) is to be maintained.
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 04:11 AM   #18
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I have listened to Emiliana, Sheila, and Isabel sing (not on the soundtrack, though). All three of them have beautiful voices.

I can't really describe Emiliana's voice. It's different than what you usually hear. But I think it will work well for Gollum's Song. Listen here: Emiliana Torrini

I like Sheila's style. It's a mixture of Indian and Celtic and I think she will be very interesting to hear on the soundtrack. Listen here: Sheila Chandra

What can I say? Isabel has a gorgeous voice. It sets the tone of Middle-earth. I can totally imagine her singing Elvish. Listen here: Isabel

Last edited by Brinniel; 02-05-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 11:04 AM   #19
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

As posted in the now closed topic... <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net" TARGET=_blank>www.theonering.net</A> has two tracks available for you to listen to (if you so choose). More may follow.<BR>They have been taken from the broadcast by a classical station in England. They may not be there long, because I think they should not be there (copywright laws...), and I am sure that New Line and Howard Shore think so too.<BR>I will admit, though, that I did listen to them once, but I will not let myself listen to them again. It is definitely something I can't wait to purchase!
Old 11-19-2002, 11:05 PM   #20
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

<A HREF="http://www.soundtrack.net" TARGET=_blank>www.soundtrack.net</A> now has 30 seconds of each track from TTT available for your listening pleasure. They also have detailed descriptions of each piece to accompany the samples.<BR>Beware of *spoilers*!<P>All I can say it.... <B>Wow!</B>, I am now waiting for the soundtrack as eagerly as I am waiting for the movie!
Old 11-20-2002, 01:57 PM   #21
Atariel
Haunting Spirit

Atariel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

why isn't enya doing anything? she's wonderful, so why isn't she doing anything?
Old 11-20-2002, 02:10 PM   #22
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe she didn't want to. Or they wanted somebody different. Honestly I don't know, but I think there's a good reason.<BR>
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote