The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-03-2005, 02:16 PM   #761
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I thought the mass lynchings were rather like when Somerset declared in a Limited overs game against Worcestershire in 1979 .........

So that is why we ain't having them I do like the role of Mythomaniac to mix things up.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 07:27 PM   #762
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
Would 24 hours and 24 hours work better? That had been my initial idea, but I thought that it would slow the game down quite a lot. Other mods dealt with that by allowing the extra time, but if it was finished early, they would begin the next set of times. I can't guarantee that I'll be sitting near a computer when the voting finishes, unpredictable as it is, or when all of the PMs stream in, which is why I had aimed for set times so that I would know when to continue each day.
Alloting 24 hours for both day and night with a fixed time for the transition would do very well. As for slowing the game down, patience is a virtue. I think we could sacrifice a bit of excitement to give everyone the chance to speak up. What's the point of having a lot of players if only a few 'loudmouths' can voice out their opinions or strategies? Besides, what was that about waiting expectantly for something making it sweeter once grasped?

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 07-04-2005 at 12:54 AM.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 09:02 PM   #763
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
now that we brought up Mass-lynchings, why not just everyone commit suicide? then we must have gotten the werewolf for sure!
Old 07-04-2005, 09:33 AM   #764
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Allright, Lhuna, twice real time it is. Anybody with a problem with this can play in a different game, as this plan works best for the mod, and for international players.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:25 AM   #765
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Thank you so much, Fea.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:15 PM   #766
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'd like to play in Game 6. Way to rout 'em, wolves. Fea, you dirty lupine scoundrel you!
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 05:02 PM   #767
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Pending the offical "okay", I will be moderating the next game. Rules will be the same as TGWBS, only with 24 hour days and nights, and a strong discouragement from multiple lynchings.

Official sign up begins now. It ends Monday morning at 8:30 AM EST. Roles will then be randomly chosen and sent out. The game will begin at 9:30 AM on Tuesday morning. Please be prepared to actively participate.

[Soon to be?] Moderator's Note: Saturday and Sunday of the coming week will have somewhat tweaked hours, due to computer access issues. Days will likely begin at noon instead of 9:30. Full rules for WW6 can be found by looking.

Any questions, write a PM, label it "important" and send it to me.
Any requests, write a PM, label it "less important" and send it to burrahobbit (just to annoy him).
Any complaints, write a PM, label it "nobody cares" and don't bother sending.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:26 PM   #768
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sign me up.

Let's see... I predict a villager win. Thanks to whoever started it, if WW IV was "A New Hope," and WW V certainly fits the bill for "The Werewolves Strike Back"... we'll see, oh yess, preciouss, we will... (That was random. )
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 08:50 PM   #769
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sign me up too.

Oh, I don't know if the villagers will find it so easy to win again. There was just too much unluck against the werewolves in IV that is not likely to repeat itself, not least was three rookies.

In VI, it appeared that the werewolves had all the luck, but it seems that the seer gave herself away, from what I'm led to understand... Such an important gifted innocent!
Old 07-10-2005, 04:11 AM   #770
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
LMP is playing? Old poker face himself?

I know I said no more but with such company, please count me in.

LMP - it will be a pleasure going up with/against/over/under/across you again.

Fea- let's ban multiple lynchings outright. If the village cannot reach a majority, there will be no lynchings at all. What say you?
Old 07-10-2005, 04:21 AM   #771
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

EST and not EDT right? Cuz tt's what got me into trouble the first time around. TGWBS posted GMT when he meant BST.

Can anyone confirm that EST is 12 hrs behind GMT +800 hrs? So say if it's Sun 1820 hrs here in SG, it would be Sun 0620 hrs in NY?
Old 07-10-2005, 05:04 AM   #772
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! Hi!

My alter-ego's game does not count in my lynch rate, for, after, he is my alter-ego, and not me.

I would love to play in the next game. I think would go as a suspicious wolf-breeder.

And, I would request before the game begins: Lynch me, please.

Oh, brother.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 06:04 AM   #773
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
With fea Modding? :D

Count me in!
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 07:40 AM   #774
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

I need my next fix. Can I be a minstrel?

Last edited by Eomer of the Rohirrim; 07-10-2005 at 07:44 AM. Reason: To add role
Eomer of the Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 07:41 AM   #775
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurreg
LMP is playing? Old poker face himself?
Thanks! Wow. But how else does one play a werewolf? I haven't come up with a better strategy... for me. Well, then again, maybe I have, but not necessarily as a werewolf. Or would it work just as well? Hmmmm...... We'll just have to see, won't we?. I'll demonstrate in the next game. See you there, *buc* (barring unforeseen circumstances). I wish that I could have kept up the doggerel, but it just got too hard to use both sides of the brain, as it were, in Game IV.

By the way, on EST versus EDT, I confess to being completely lost. I think it's BST plus 6 hours for EST, and BST plus 5 hours for EDT. Right?

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 07-10-2005 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:21 AM   #776
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
A time zone converter-- http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc
A map of the time zones-- http://www.travel.com.hk/region/timezone.htm

...If you need them...

What I do for time zones though is go click on the clock in the lower-left-hand corner of my computer screen (since you're all at computers anyway when playing this game). Double clicking on that brings up the "Date and Time Properties" window, if yours is like mine there should be three tabs: "Date and Time", "Time Zone" and "Internet Time". Go to the "Time Zone" one, make sure the check box for "Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes" is clicked then just set it to the timezone you're looking for click "Apply" make a note of the time and change it back to your timezone....problem solved (unless, of course, you get the wrong timezone...)

For Example:
I'm in "Eastern Time (US & Canada)" so that's what my computer clock is set to...It says that it's now 10:16am...Following what I described I can temporarily set my clock to GMT (3:17pm)...or GMT+800 (10:18pm)...and back (10:18am)...all within two minutes...

Incidently I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm talking down to you...y'know, explaining something you should have been able to see for yourselves...but I'm in a hurry and in a mildly bad mood because I've forgotten my glasses and so am starting to get a headache...I don't mean for it to sound that way and I really am sorry if it does....
Old 07-10-2005, 08:29 AM   #777
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Okay, that means London time is 5 hours advanced against North American Daylight Savings Time. In other words, 10:30 a.m. here (EDT) is 15:30 in London, or 3:30 p.m. Fair enough. Hope that helps all you EDTers.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:43 AM   #778
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

I'm pretty sure that GMT changes to BST at the same time that EST changes to EDT, that is, people on the Eastern coast of the US are always 5 hours behind Britain.

Times will be displayed in EDT time anyway, seeing as that's where Fea live. Unless she decides to be weird.

If anybody finds themself lost, just look at the time of the post in the top left and add 24 hours for the start of the next phase of the game.

Hmmm, what character to cast over myself? I shall have to think this over...

Anyway, I think MM was a nice little change, but I'd support reverting to Middle-Earth for the next game.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:38 AM   #779
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurreg
Fea- let's ban multiple lynchings outright. If the village cannot reach a majority, there will be no lynchings at all. What say you?
No. There will be one death (or more, if you want to go in a boringly narrated fashion) per game period. I've got several fantastic ways for some of you to go, and it would be absolutely depressing if I don't get to use them because you guys couldn't agree on who dies.

If there is a tie: both or all involved will die.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:58 AM   #780
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
If I ever took leave of my senses enough to have another shot at it, I would definitely have another Mythomane - especially if there were a larger number of participants... adds uncertainty.

I thought MM would go a lot closer when although there were 4 wolves the Seer knew of 2 of them. I think my time schedule favoured theolves - they managed to sway opinion and poor kitanna was doomedc before she could speak....

Old 07-10-2005, 11:07 AM   #781
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

I'd also support a mythomane in the next game, it means it can turn in any direction.

I'd also prefer the Shirriffs to replace the Ranger and Hunter being in cahoots - it gives more people a special role if there are lots of players, and also gets rid of the extremely strong Hunter-Ranger knowing one another's minds advantage.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:15 AM   #782
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

The Mythomaniac will make a reappearance, again replacing the cursed villager.

Shirriffs will be back.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:19 AM   #783
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
I'd also support a mythomane in the next game, it means it can turn in any direction.

I'd also prefer the Shirriffs to replace the Ranger and Hunter being in cahoots - it gives more people a special role if there are lots of players, and also gets rid of the extremely strong Hunter-Ranger knowing one another's minds advantage.

It has to be said that in MM the villagers gained virtually no benefit from the Hunter and Guardian knowing each other since by the time we had an active seer the Guardian was dead. I agree with shirriffs in a larger game but I think in a small one it is overkill. I wonder if we will ever have a were-hamster... lol

Old 07-10-2005, 11:35 AM   #784
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

I haven't been following the last game at all so I think it would be a good idea to list down all the character types and rules before starting.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:43 AM   #785
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

The rules and roles will be Post #1.

The narration of my own demise will be Post #2.

You guys trying to kill each other will follow immediately.

Recruits so far:

Firefoot
LMP
Saurreg
Nilp
TGWBS
Eomer
Gil-Galad

Unless people want me to start getting rid of roles, we need a bare minimum of two more players. Remember that sign up ends tomorrow morning at 8:30.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:45 AM   #786
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Fea, you might want a short period of rest and reflection... also meaning more people can join up. Just a thought.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:46 AM   #787
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I'm terrified of being in another one as I think the suspicion is penetrating to RL but I just can't resist signing up! Count me in please.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:01 PM   #788
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
I'll be in again too. Even if it means I get yelled at some more for being on the computer "too much" . I can't stop now, I think I'm addicted. I just hope I'm not a wolf again. It made things so much harder...
Old 07-10-2005, 02:40 PM   #789
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
Fea, you might want a short period of rest and reflection... also meaning more people can join up. Just a thought.
No go. If we wait any longer, it will be quite hard to keep any sort of cohesion in the game. I'd explain, but it's complicated. Strictly speaking, we now have enough players to have a neat game, but I'd like a few random villagers also.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:44 PM   #790
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'll be the useless good-for-nothing who scrapes out a living on the edge of the hamlet by the creek, living in a tumbledown shack that would be anybody else's out-house (and was once). If you want a short handy title for the position, it's "the bum".

An' I'll spit outta wudever side of me mouf I choose to, so dere's dat for ye. An' git offa my property! 'S not like I ha' dat much ta claim as me own, so git! Lowzy no good biddy bodies I swear dey'll lynch me for a werewolf da way dey acts. ptooey!
Old 07-10-2005, 03:51 PM   #791
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

I'll be a Dwarf. I live underground beneath the village where I regularly mine. Any land subsidence in the village in purely coincidental. I'm old, bearded, grumpy, hairy and filthy rich, and never seen without my trademark hammer.

You can summarise that with "Dwarf."
Old 07-10-2005, 04:08 PM   #792
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Don't kill me, but I'm sympathising with tgwbs here: why are we rushing?
Old 07-10-2005, 04:10 PM   #793
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hmm... I'll be a wanderer: this'll be my home village because I was born there, but for not much other reason. I'm good for delivering letters to other villages and collecting news in the area. (True to form,) I have a horse which I ride on my wanderings (Pony Express, anyone?). Mostly I camp out, but I do have a nice woodsy sort of cabin for when the weather gets bad (or when there are werewolves about...).
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 04:33 PM   #794
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Real quick....I'm signing up be back later for deatils, gotta get the pizza!!
Old 07-10-2005, 06:20 PM   #795
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

This game seems to be dominated by males.

And I shall be the all-important rat-catcher.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:30 PM   #796
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! Erm, Fea . . .

I think you forgot to put my sister the Lhunatic in the list.

If she were here, she would say, "I would like to play the role of village Lhunatic."
Old 07-10-2005, 08:44 PM   #797
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
++Mormegil

Do we need a street sweeper?

Or a governmental official of some sort...mayor, ambassador, KING???
Old 07-10-2005, 08:55 PM   #798
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Thumbs up Yes. Yesss.

I knew something's lacking in this game. A government official. That's what we need.

We'd lynch him everytime the currency free-falls.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:54 PM   #799
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Fea, I am too terribly hurt. The only way you can make me feel better is by counting me in as the village Lhunatic.

Oh, and yeah. Thank you, kuya.

EDIT:
Quote:
I knew something's lacking in this game. A government official. That's what we need.

We'd lynch him everytime the currency free-falls.
Now, now, Nilp. We're not in the Philippines.

Don't ask.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 07-11-2005 at 01:58 AM. Reason: thought of this just now...
Old 07-11-2005, 03:33 AM   #800
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'm so tempted but I've just got too much on at the moment to get involved.
And I know how werewolf can get scarily absorbing....during WW IV, my loved ones became somewhat concerned when I started looking at my watch saying "oh my goodness I've got to get home for the lynching."
But by the next game, things should be quieter chez Lalaith and I'll be back....