The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-16-2003, 07:00 PM   #41
eholmes

Silmaril

My father received the book the year I was born as a gift from his oldest sister. He became quite engrossed in it. My mother, a bit jelous of his new obsession, decided to find out what was so wonderful and read his books.
When I was eight and my sister was about six, my father read them aloud to us, from The Hobbit through The Return of the King. I have since read them so many times I have lost count. When I was about thirteen or fourteen I began The Silmarillion. Tolkien's depth of vision still astonishes me, and my literary experience as a whole has been profoundly impacted by his works.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:32 PM   #42
wendith

Thumbs up

I was out of something to read, and I saw other people reading it, so i stared reading FOTR,
Old 01-18-2003, 12:35 PM   #43
Calavanya
Pile O'Bones

Calavanya has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Do you remember the cartoon? That's how I started. Then I read the books. Was there a comic or something. I think there was. I was a little girl then...
Old 01-18-2003, 02:30 PM   #44
Sword Maiden Of The Shire
Animated Skeleton

Sword Maiden Of The Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

OK here's how I got turned onto Tolkien,

Before I even knew about The Lord Of The Rings, I was still hung up on Harry Potter *Ducks flying rocks* I was home with my dad and he said "Let's go see a that movie The Lord Of The Rings." I said "No I want to go see Harry Potter....again.

Anyway, we saw 'The Fellowship Of The Ring' And when I came out of the theatre, I was flying!! I LOVED IT!!!!!!! Now, I'm as loyal to Tolkien as you can be and I don't plan on giving this up
*Rocks stop*

I'm going to go read The Two Towers now!! (For the....I forget....how many times I've read it!!)
------------------------
"That settles it!" "Short cuts make delays but inns make longer ones!" ~Frodo~
Sword Maiden Of The Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 02:58 PM   #45
Everlen
Pile O'Bones

Everlen has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

How I was introduced to Tolkein.... well... when I was younger... after I had read the Chronicles of Narnia, the same people who got me hooked on those asked me if I had ever heard of the Hobbit. That was the first time I had and I didn't hear much else until I was in 8th grade and my English teacher began raving on and on about how much he loved it. He was one of the biggest fans I think I will ever meet in my life. He was awesome and we read the Hobbit that year. I liked it alot but the whole school thing kinda turned me off to it. But then... alas! I went and saw The Fellowship of the Ring in the middle of ninth grade and was hooked. I saw it in December... read the books... then saw it again in march! I am on my second time reading the trilogy and I love it better than ever! I think my teenage life would be a whole lot more boring if I had never gone to see that movie.
Everlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 07:12 AM   #46
Molly Tobin

1420!

I know I was in elementary school at the time, but I don't remember what came first: the cartoon movie of The Hobbit or Dad reading the LOTR books to me as bedtime stories. Thinking back on it now, he probably cut out some of the more fun bits of the books, thinking maybe they weren't suitable for my tender young mind. I'll have to read them for myself and check, eh?
Old 01-21-2003, 06:19 PM   #47
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, when I was about nine, I received the book for a birthday present. The moment I saw it, i was astonished by its size. (paperbound, all of them put together) I tryed to read it that year, but it was just to hard. Then, I heard that FotR was coming out, and one of my friends was a fan, so I decided to read the book again. It was amazing! Then, I told my Mom that she had to read it aloud to everybody. (my family are all fans now!) She did! The entire thing! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] I was quite amazed. (she started reading after we all saw FotR, and a while before TTT, I told her she had to finish at least TTT before we saw the movie. Then, she finished the entire book! I was amazed. Even my Dad listened! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] )

~Hirilaelin

(before this, my Mom had read "The Hobbit" to us so many times that the cover had fallen off, so I suppose they were already fans. We even had the animated Hobbit! Still do as a matter of fact....
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )

[ January 21, 2003: Message edited by: Hirilaelin ]
Hirilaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 08:33 AM   #48
Boromir's Lady
Pile O'Bones

Boromir's Lady has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I had read The Hobbit in elementary school (which has been a long time ago for me!) but never read The Lord of the Rings. As a matter of fact, I was an avid reader while I was in school, read everything I could get my hands on, but I had rarely heard anything about these books as a child/teen/young adult (I have no idea why).

It wasn't until I went to see 'The Fellowship' in theatres that made me run to the bookstore and buy the trilogy to read. I could NOT believe I had not read it before!
~*Have you seen it, Aragorn? The white tower of Ecthelion glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, its banners caught high in the morning breeze. Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?*~
Boromir's Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 09:27 AM   #49
Falagar
Haunting Spirit

Falagar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My dad read the Hobbit and LotR to me when I was about 7-8 years old...three or four years later I read it by myself, and was automatically hooked. And I read it again...and then I found the Silm, started, gave up, started again a year later, read it, loved it, read LotR again, heard they were making a movie, read LotR again, read the UT, read the Silm again, and then bought three HoME books, and then bought four more HoME book, which I'm currently reading [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ January 22, 2003: Message edited by: Falagar ]
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 11:36 AM   #50
radagast

Sting

I was first introduced to Tolkien by afriend back in 87. We were in a book store and he saw the Book Of Lost Tales part 1 in the clearance section. He picked it up and said that I would enjoy it. So I bought it. I skimmed throuh it and found that very interesting. So I bought the Hobbit, LOTR and the Silm. And have been in heaven ever since.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:50 AM   #51
Airerūthiel
Wight

Airerūthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When I was a little kid, my mum's friend used to look after me while my mum worked. During my childhood she used to give me birthday and Christmas gifts of classic books (Anne of Green Gables, Narnia Chronicles, that sort of thing), and one year she gave me a copy of The Hobbit. I read that in about a day, thought it was brilliant and wanted to read more of Tolkien's work. But my parents wouldn't let me read Lord of the Rings then because they thought I wouldn't really understand it. So my interest in Tolkien lay dormant for about four years, and then I saw the movie of FotR. Thinking that was really good, I then spent my Christmas money on a second-hand copy of LotR...and it goes on from there.
Old 01-22-2003, 03:04 PM   #52
Rinlothien

Sting

A friend recommended the Hobbit when I was in High School. I was hooked and reread them all yearly(until I had kids)I managed a bookstore in the 80s and bought the Sil the day it came out. Now I have my husband hooked, he just started The Hobbit [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2003, 03:23 PM   #53
DaughterofVana
Wight

DaughterofVana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The person who introduced me was... myself, I guess. I saw the cartoon of the Hobbit way back in elementary school. I tried to check out the book then, but the librarian stopped me, saying that it was too hard for me. "I have High Schoolers that come in here looking for it when their copies are out in the High School library," she said to me. When I still resisted, she made a big deal of flipping open the cover and reading the first sentence: "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..." then looked at me like "you've got to be kidding." I gave up. So it would be six or seven years later...

My Uncle Dave, a renowned Tolkien fan ("renowned" being that I talked about him on another thread) was getting rid of his old paperback set from the seventies. He had just gotten the red leatherbound edition with the box and the seven stars/seven stones/white tree on the front. (Know it so well because we sell it at the bookstore where I work(ed) ) Anyway, my Grandma gave the old paperbacks to me. I was STILL interested in reading them, but I was afraid to read the paperbacks because they were in such dismal shape--you could tell that they were really well loved. I bought all three for myself (matching set there, too), then the accompaning "Hobbit", and that was it! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

-'Vana

[ January 22, 2003: Message edited by: DaughterofVana ]

Hi! Did you miss me?
DaughterofVana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 04:10 PM   #54
Melyana4324

Sting

At first I wasnt really interested in that sort of stuff, but I was persuaded by my best mates to go and watch the first one. From then on Ive been hooked completely!!! I dont normally do much reading but, after watching the second film Im totally into the reading. I got all three books bought for me over xmas and Im making good progress. Im really into it now and sometimes I think I was stupid for not reading the books sooner.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:40 PM   #55
Reyna Evergreen
Haunting Spirit

Reyna Evergreen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Reyna Evergreen
Silmaril

I was introduced to Tolkein's work by my dad, when he heard that they were making a movie out of it. (about two years before) I got hooked on the books, then became estatic about everything Tokien when the Fellowship of the Ring came out on movie. I read the Silm after I saw that I might need to read it to keep up at the BarrowDowns, and it turns out I liked it as much as the trilogy.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:37 PM   #56
Ardwenna
Pile O'Bones

Ardwenna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I first read the hobbit when I was in middle school. And I tried the LOTR books, but I couldn't understand them much. And then I heard they were making the movies and I picked them up again and started reading them. Then my best friend bought me the boxed set for my birthday last year. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] It was lovely.

BTW~Elijah Wood is from my hometown. Isn't that cool? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2003, 08:19 PM   #57
Lady Iverin
Haunting Spirit

Lady Iverin has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I remember there being the LOTR trilogy books in a closet somewhere in my house when I was little. I always wanted to know what they were. I thought they looked boring. My mom eventually threw them away because they were old and smelly. I never did understand why she did that. They might have been worth something. Anyway, I watched the cute cartoon movie of the Hobbit when I was about 6 or 7. I forgot all about LOTR until my mom told me that they made movies of the books. Then I got excited and bought the books. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Lady Iverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 09:46 PM   #58
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dūm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's hard to explain, for I was introduced to Tolkien many, many times, so I will do my best to keep it as short as possible:

I know this'll sound so horrid and such, but I was actually "introduced" to Tolkien when I was about seven years old. However, I never actually got into his books until recently. I had an older brother and sister who had a teacher by the name of Mr. Cottle for their sixth-grade teacher. Mr. Cottle read The Hobbit to all his classes year after year, and my sister came home and immediately wanted the actual book from a Scholastic Book magazine. My mother obliged and bought it, but I took little interest in it (I was seven!). Then, my brother came home years later praising it and borrowed the book from my sister, reading it by himself. I still took no interest in it. I was 9. Finally, by the time I was 12 and in sixth grade, I got Mr. Cottle. He read to us The Hobbit (also The Grey King, which is also an excellent book in a good series by Susan Cooper) and I grew slightly interested in it. However, when he said there were more books in the series, it went in one ear and out the other. When I was twelve, I wasn't a big fan of book series and had no interest in reading them. Finally, at the age of thirteen or fourteen and in Junior High, I borrowed The Hobbit from my sister and read through it again. By this time, I was suffering a horrible bout of depression and had blocked most of my childhood, so I didn't remember there were more than one. Pity, because I probably would've read them earlier if I had as I was interested in book series by then, now that I think about it. I was again ensnared by the book, but depression set in, my sister moved away (taking the book with her) and I forgot about it again for three years. Then, rumor grew of a new movie trilogy based in a fantasy world. Taking little interest in the movie itself, I didn't pay much attention to it, but I did get a few bookmarks from the High School library for my brother-in-law (the one married to the sister who owns The Hobbit). He was delighted and began to spout off names of characters and histories. I was less than amused, until he mentioned that Ian McKellan would be doing the part of a familiar name: Gandalf. A rusty chest in the depression-scorched area of the library of my mind opened and I drew forth old, half-charred documents of memories of a book about a little man who lived in a hole and went on an adventure with a wizard named Gandalf. I was interested, however, I still didn't realize that there were books involved. I just figured that the movie was a spinoff of the children's book.

I didn't actually hear of the book trilogy until the ride to the theater, when my brother-in-law and his brother began to talk of them. When I got out of the theater, I was completely blown away (and surprised. I hadn't known Sean Bean, whom I have been a bit of a fan of for quite some time, was going to be in the movie!) and wanted desperately to get a hold of the books. The last sister living with me (who is getting married in May) bought the entire trilogy after I got a hold of the Fellowship of the Ring and I was blessed to be able to read all three in their entireity without having to wait to borrow them.

So, you could say my sister introduced me to Tolkien, or Mr. Cottle, or my brother-in-law or even the movies. It is your choice. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ March 02, 2003: Message edited by: Rynoah, the Overly-Happy ]
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 11:30 PM   #59
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I came to them a little late, I suppose. I had seen the cartoon version of the Hobbit in the mists of memory long gone, but in 1987, my father presented me with a boxed special 50th anniversary edition of The Hobbit for Christmas, and I thought it was nice and pretty and all, but I didn't read it until I was in no mood for Chemistry homework one evening the next year. I read it and enjoyed it, and thought no more of it, until my father bought me the boxed set of Lord of the Rings after that, which included The Hobbit. So, it sat unread through the rest of my undergraduate years in college, until I reached graduate school and was more than desperate for escape. Thus, one winter's evening, I picked up Fellowship of the Ring and did not stop until the end of Return of the King...strange thing, I did not get as much out of them then as I did after I reread them this year, 13 years after the first time. I don't know why, but I'm glad to have gotten back to them!

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 12:33 AM   #60
Calenedheliel1
Pile O'Bones

Calenedheliel1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I first read the Hobbit when I was fifteen years old and thought it was the greatest story I had ever read. The librarian was the one to suggest the book to me and I am forever in her debt. I didn't read the Lord of the Rings until 2 years ago. Why? I'll never know because I owned to books for a long time but never took or had the time to read them.
Calenedheliel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 12:38 AM   #61
TheHobbit

Pipe

I asked in a library after a good fantasybook when I was 8 years old.
Then I read it and I thought it was awesome.
Later when the movies came I was just overwhelmed. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2003, 04:35 AM   #62
Donlammenion
Animated Skeleton

Donlammenion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i first got introduced to the book (old full edition FotR,TTT,RotK) in secondary school and read it with the enthuiasm of a child playing with a new toy i found it almost impossible to put it down. i didnt read again until a few years ago when i read the hobbit and only recently have i got back to FotR and now im on TTT and i read with the same enthuiasm as ever only with a better understanding of tolkens genius.
Thats my story short but sweet.
Donlammenion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 09:42 PM   #63
Quelledaewen

Sting

Well, I'm 46 years old. I read The Hobbit when I was 15 or 16, then many years later (and this was during the Hippie movement) my pot-smoking boyfriend introduced me to the trilogy. This story gained new popularity during the Vietnam War era.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:09 PM   #64
Lossenorodion
Pile O'Bones

Lossenorodion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Lossenorodion Send a message via AIM to Lossenorodion
Sting

ohhh well shame on me also,i saw the movie first but befor it my father had read the books and told me about them and i saw him once and look at the cover(which are pretty odd some trees and stuff like it) and i was like wth are u reading and didnt pay attention,

but know i think how stupid i was and now i regret myself [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2003, 10:15 PM   #65
Vardamar
Haunting Spirit

Vardamar has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

My mother introduced me.

oh and the movies reintroduced me
Old 03-05-2003, 03:08 PM   #66
Armadoin
Haunting Spirit

Armadoin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Armadoin Send a message via AIM to Armadoin
Silmaril

First, I would like to say this; many of you have been refering to the books as a trilogy. That in itself is not true: Tolkien never wanted it to be a trilogy, and besides, there are a total of 6 books in the one book. The publishers simply wanted it split into three books for odd marketing purposes.

Any way; I am also ashamed to say that I had never heard of lotr until the movie came out. I had been forced to read the Hobbit in 8th grade, and I loathed every minute of it *slaps self silly with book*. When the movie came out, my sister told me we had to go see it, because her friends had told her it was great. So, I went to see it, and I fell in love with the whole aspect. I went home and read the Hobbit and loved it, then went out the next day and bought the book and stayed awake until I had read the whole thing, then I read it again, and I discovered the list of books in the back, and so far I have only read the shaping of middle earth, the sil, Bolt2, and sir Gawain. I am making it a point to read every one of his books at least twice before I die (which hopefully won't be for another 80 years) But, so ends my epic tale of my conversion. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
"I must not fear.Fear is the mind killer. fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Armadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 03:12 PM   #67
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

In (?third or) fourth grade our teacher read The Hobbit to us.

And in sixth and seventh grade, reading LOTR was considered essential among us nerds.

Let's see, that was.... 1972? 1973?

[ March 05, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 03-05-2003, 05:28 PM   #68
nPiLL
Haunting Spirit

nPiLL has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to nPiLL
Sting

I was introduced to Tolkien when i was at the library and i saw a copy of The Hobbit. At first i took a look at it and thought what a stupid book. So reluctantly i took it, thinking it was going to be a simple read for a school book report. After i had read it i thought it was great. I then began researching the LotR a little bit. I soon bought my copies of The Hobbit and LotR. I read the first two LotR and thought they were awesome. Ever since i have like the LotR and the stuff about them.
nPiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 09:37 PM   #69
merenwen
Animated Skeleton

merenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

my little brother got the fotr movie for his birthday but i wasn't that interested then, but then a girl in my homeroom really liked lotr and so it kinda rubbed off on me. so i started reading the books really loved them. So every day i get to talk about lotr with sumone who doesn't think i'm crazy [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] it's quite lovely
Old 03-08-2003, 08:43 AM   #70
Pervinca Burrows from Combe

Sting

I had never heard about LOTR until my friend ask me (who had read the books before) wanted me to see the movie FOTR so i said sure why not. When she was explaining what the movie was about i ask myself how she talked me into seeing this weird movie. After the movie ended i couldn't stop thinking about it and read the first book in a week(i wasn't a fast reader then). Now its my favorite book/movie ever. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2003, 11:09 AM   #71
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

my mum was telling me for years to read it every time i moaned that 'i've got nothing to read!', but i got a really funny picture in my head of some monster (a 'hobbit') sitting on a hole which some other people were trying to stuff a ring down. so i didnt read it. then i saw the film trailer in july 2002, and by september i'd read the hobbit and all three books! so i'm kind of ashamed that the film did really inspire me to read the books
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 02:45 PM   #72
Calencoire
Haunting Spirit

Calencoire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Calencoire
Silmaril

I hadn't ever heard of The Lord of the Rings until I saw the trailer for The Fellowship of the Ring. I thought the movie looked very cool, since I like fantasy/history things like that. Then I found out they were books too and not just a movie. I got the books for Christmas, fell in love, saw the movie and fell deeper in love. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2003, 07:55 PM   #73
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Pipe

my bro took me to see this play in the park (its in Canada) and it was the Hobbit so after i saw the pay i wanted to read the book, then i got into lotr and BAM here i am with some catnip and a barbie doll man my life is messed [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2003, 05:32 PM   #74
gilraėn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

gilraėn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My mother read The Hobbit to all of her seven children and then when we were able gave us her copies of LOTR to read for ouselves. I can't remember the exact age, but I was less than 10. I'm now reading The Hobbit in turn to my 5 year old since my mother is no longer with us to pass on that tradition, she read it to her older grandchildren too. I only discovered the Simarillion, Unfinished Tales and HoME recently.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:04 PM   #75
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I read The Hobbit in fourth grade, then I read LOTR in that summer and have read it annually ever since. If I had not been introduced to Tolkien then, I feel sure I would have sooner or later, due to the fact that my dad likes Tolkien also, and owns The Hobbit and LOTR as well.

[ March 12, 2003: Message edited by: Luthien_ Tinuviel ]

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 06:59 PM   #76
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

I first read the hobbit when I was in fifth grade. My mother had read a lot of Tolkien in High School, but could'nt remember much of it (she, to this day calls the Silmarillion the "Samrillion" and calls Eomer "Elmer" *shakes head in despair*) But she remembered enough to know it was the kind of thing I'd like, so when I was sick she bought me a copy. I devoured it in about two days and then read the entire Lord of the Rings in less than a week. I got a little bogged down in the Silmarillion though, and didn't finish it till about my sophomore year of high school. Since then I've probably read it all about twenty, twenty five times [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] *sigh* it just keeps getting better!
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 09:21 AM   #77
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dūm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

my mother had the Hobbit on vidio for the longest time till my dad recorded some horrable concert over it. but other than that the book were in my house for long before i was borne(my mother says that when she was young, the 60's she was looking for anything grey because she was obsesed with elves) just to say the least i got into Narnia and then Tolkien and also i got into Terry Brooks. that lead me to the Brothers Hildebrant and finally full circle back to Tolkien. but we can all attribute this to my mother and that old cartoon.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:45 AM   #78
Isildur

Sting

Been a fan of Tolkien for about 2 years; just got the books at a local book sale for about a dollar each and became hooked. Love the movies too. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2003, 10:52 AM   #79
Rochelle
Shade of Carn Dūm

Rochelle has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I am not ashamed in the least to say that the movies introduced me to Tolkien. My dad and brother had read the books countless times, but I was never one for "fantasy". When I saw the first movie, I was so enthralled with the detail of the characters and the scenery, so I decided I would finally pick up my dad's 40 year old copies and read 'em [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I have finished the trilogy now, and am actually reading the Hobbit *lol* A little out of order, but no one minds that [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'm also proud to say that I actually finished Return of the King before the movie came out, so I will be able to criticize the movie properly.

That is why I hailed Peter Jackson's remarkable job on LotR. If he had done poorly then I doubt I would have ever read the books...Mae Caernen PJ!

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens"
Rochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 01:33 PM   #80
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Ahh, when did I learn about tolkien? Well, I had some friends in my younger grades who read them, but they were kind of nerdy and by their discriptions, the book sounded boring. Plus, I really didn't read much back then. Then, in grade 8, my class went to see the movie. I was thrown into his world, met all the characters and the music, oh the music, just held me and hasn't let me go. After seeing it 6 times in the theater, I begged to get the books, which I read, quickly at first, but over and over, until I can recount every detail, now I search for the related books by C. Tolkein. I can't wait to read them all.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote