The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2007, 12:52 PM   #1
Nazgūl-king
Wight

Nazgūl-king has just left Hobbiton.
Faramir acting like Boromir?

I think the films try to show Faramir acting like Boromir and doing what Boromir would have done, in the hopes that he would please his father. Here is one example:

*"The ring will go to Gondor" - I could easily see Boromir trying to take Frodo and Sam to Gondor with the ring, and if I remember correctly (haven’t read Fellowship in a while) he even tries to convince Frodo to go to Minas Tirith in the book. Perhaps when Faramir sees the ring he has a kind of "what would Boromir do?" moment, and decides that he will do what Boromir would have done and take the ring to Gondor.

Can you think of any other times in the films, where we see Faramir trying to act like Boromir, or doing things Boromir probably would have done?
Nazgūl-king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
Meriadoc1961
Wight

Meriadoc1961 has just left Hobbiton.
Jackson's version of Faramir is a real disservice to the character of Faramir. For that, he should feel ashamed. Faramir was created by Tolkien as a man with the highest of character who would not even try and catch an Orc in a lie, and yet we see him mercilessly having his men beat a defenseless Gollum. We have from Tolkien a man who placed honor and doing what's right above everything else, even if it cost him his father's love and even his life, and from Jackson we get a man presented who is less honorable than Boromir, and scarcely better than Grima Wormtongue, who Jackson shows shedding a tear of sorrow.

I am not trying to beat up on Jackson, but what he did with Faramir is without excuse, and totally unnecessary.

Merry
Old 12-15-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazgûl-king View Post
I think the films try to show Faramir acting like Boromir and doing what Boromir would have done, in the hopes that he would please his father. Here is one example:

*"The ring will go to Gondor" - I could easily see Boromir trying to take Frodo and Sam to Gondor with the ring, and if I remember correctly (haven’t read Fellowship in a while) he even tries to convince Frodo to go to Minas Tirith in the book. Perhaps when Faramir sees the ring he has a kind of "what would Boromir do?" moment, and decides that he will do what Boromir would have done and take the ring to Gondor.

Can you think of any other times in the films, where we see Faramir trying to act like Boromir, or doing things Boromir probably would have done?
Boromir does try to convince Frodo to take the Ring to Minas Tirith in the books. A just solution, I would say! However, although I see what you're saying, PJ's Boromir and PJ's Faramir are both different from book Boromir and Faramir. Even if you're comparing movie Boromir to movie Faramir I would say the resemblance is slim, because of Faramir's huge, huge, huge skewing from book to film.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #4
zxcvbn
Wight

zxcvbn has just left Hobbiton.
Frankly, I think all this criticism about movie Faramir, along with accusations that he's a Boromir clone, are unmerited.

Yes, he wanted to take the Ring to Gondor, but he did so for his father and his country, not due to selfish dreams of power(which partially motivated Boromir). The scenes in the Extended Edition of TTT, along with PJ's commentary, illustrate this pretty well.

And if that's still not enough, atleast his character returns to 'normal'(i.e. like in the book) by the end of TTT and remains that way throughout ROTK. The out-of-character
part is only for the middle of TTT.
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:46 AM   #5
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbn View Post
atleast his character returns to 'normal'(i.e. like in the book) by the end of TTT and remains that way throughout ROTK. The out-of-character
part is only for the middle of TTT.
I agree with that statement, I made a topic once how Faramir's character is fully intact in my opinion during The Return of the King.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
sassyfriend
Wight

sassyfriend has just left Hobbiton.
I love both Faramirs and see no reason to change my mind now
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:13 AM   #7
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dūm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Faramir NEVER acts like Boromir in the movie(s). Boromir, sadly, is tempted to keep the Ring, Faramir is not. Faramir's actions can be said partially 'selfish' 'cause he tried to seize the Ring for something that could cost him the rest of the World. But it wasn't temptation like Boromir's.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:23 AM   #8
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dūm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
Faramir and Boromir were both great Men. I liked the Boromir of the movie, but not so much the Faramir. I get the feeling of Faramir, Denethor, and all the Dśnedain including Aragorn and his people, to have an air magic about them, like wizards as the Hobbits thought when they looked on these Men. I don't remember if the movie had this, but in the book when Faramir expounds the lore of Gondor to the Hobbits, that was cool. I don't remember if they spoke Elvish either in the movie as they did in the book. I just think the way Faramir went about his investigation of the Hobbits is off from what I see in the books. Although I do like that about movies, they have their own spin on the books, so we can keep having adaptations made, which to me is fun to look forward to.