The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
Peregrin Took
Animated Skeleton

Peregrin Took has just left Hobbiton.
What Happened to the Horses?

Upon watching The Return of the King with my friends tonight, we noticed something we never did prior. Before the Battle of the Black Gate, when Aragorn gives his speech to his men, they are all on horses. Then, once they all charge for battle, their horses are gone!

It took us years to notice it, so it's not a big deal. However, it's pretty interesting nonetheless. Has anybody else noticed this?
Old 07-14-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrin Took View Post
Upon watching The Return of the King with my friends tonight, we noticed something we never did prior. Before the Battle of the Black Gate, when Aragorn gives his speech to his men, they are all on horses. Then, once they all charge for battle, their horses are gone!

It took us years to notice it, so it's not a big deal. However, it's pretty interesting nonetheless. Has anybody else noticed this?
Not only do the horses disappear at the Black Gate, but the Elves completely disappear after the Battle of Helms Deep! Chalk them up to stellar editing, Peregrin.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:05 PM   #3
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
I never noticed that!

It's not unusual for films to have major continuity errors, though.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:02 AM   #4
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Yeah, I remember that being remarked upon when the film first came out. That and a few other bloopers.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I think the disappearance of the horses is explained in some recondite, apocalyptic text where it is explained how the cats of Queen Beruthiel came and spooked the horses. It is apparently going to be made clear in a bridge film when the Silm is eventually filmed, the script to be written by the production crew.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
I think the disappearance of the horses is explained in some recondite, apocalyptic text where it is explained how the cats of Queen Beruthiel came and spooked the horses.
Perhaps they all followed Fatty Lumpkin and eventually strayed back to Tom Bombadil.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Perhaps they all followed Fatty Lumpkin and eventually strayed back to Tom Bombadil.
By George, I think you've got it. Tom will appear in that future bridging film also, hence his disappearance in the LotR trilogy.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
By George, I think you've got it. Tom will appear in that future bridging film also, hence his disappearance in the LotR trilogy.
*A light dawns in the shadowy recesses of the Dark Elf's mind*

Why...then...that means...that the Elves who disappeared at Helms Deep in The Two Towers will magically reappear in the bridge film and aid Thorongil in defeating the Corsairs at the Battle of the Havens in Umbar (which, of course, is another place the Elves couldn't conceivably have been)!

This conspiracy goes far deep than I imagined.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
It's not unusual for films to have major continuity errors, though.
Indeed, but what if we had to explain the disapearence of the horses within the framework of the film. . .

What good explanation would there be?

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:20 AM   #10
Boo Radley
Wight

Boo Radley has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrin Took View Post

That's funny. I also watched ROTK over the weekend and even though I've seen the film several times, this was the first time I'd realized the horses had disappeared.
I wonder what the reasoning was behind the move?
I don't have the director's cut. Maybe there's something there that explains it?
Old 09-23-2008, 12:22 PM   #11
Blokdog
Pile O'Bones

Blokdog has just left Hobbiton.
I don't know anything about those horses, but about the elves is said in the lord of the rings: weapons and warfare ( the more or less"official"movie book ) that they all died in that battle...
Blokdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:43 PM   #12
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blokdog View Post
I don't know anything about those horses, but about the elves is said in the lord of the rings: weapons and warfare ( the more or less"official"movie book ) that they all died in that battle...
My, that's...convenient. But then again, considering they had to go through miles of enemy-held territory (they probably followed the double-nought secret route Elrond took to deliver Anduril to Aragorn), and that Galadriel and Celeborn gladly surrendered a portion of their force that was sorely needed in protecting Lothlorien from imminent attack, I guess one more preposterous fabrication couldn't hurt.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:15 PM   #13
Boo Radley
Wight

Boo Radley has just left Hobbiton.
But how do you really feel about it, Morthorond?
Old 09-23-2008, 08:27 PM   #14
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
This conspiracy goes far deep than I imagined.
The Templars again, no doubt. Or the Rosicrucians.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:07 PM   #15
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
The Templars again, no doubt. Or the Rosicrucians.
Well, the Nazgul attacked Frodo at a Ford, John Wilkes Booth shot Lincoln at the Ford, and Kennedy was assasinated in a Lincoln...which is owned by Ford. It all fits together so eerily.

*The Dark Elf peers out of his office blinds, expecting to see black helicopters with Rosy Crosses emblazoned on them*

Last edited by Morthoron; 09-24-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Morthoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:13 PM   #16
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Well, the Nazgul attacked Frodo at a Ford, John Wilkes Booth shot Lincoln at the Ford, and Kennedy was assasinated in a Lincoln...which is owned by Ford. It all fits together so eerily.
And the missing elves from Helm's Deep are the Illuminati...time to add a new chapter to Foucault's Pendulum.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:51 AM   #17
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
And the missing elves from Helm's Deep are the Illuminati...time to add a new chapter to Foucault's Pendulum.
Hmmm...I wonder what would happen if Umberto Eco wrote the script for LotR (or the upcoming Hobbit)? Mind-bending plot twists would abound, I suppose.

I had already tried my hand at James Joyce writing Tolkien fan-fic:

"And we are, are we, swoping priggily the prof's Middangeard, barrowing Mahtan's spark as the espiritu flammula did on a once ago."

I'll have to think about how one would echo Eco talking Tolkien.

Last edited by Morthoron; 09-24-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Morthoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:24 PM   #18
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I always knew Sauron's 'eye' had something to do with the new world order. Time to dig out that tin foil hat I think
Old 09-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #19
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
I always knew Sauron's 'eye' had something to do with the new world order. Time to dig out that tin foil hat I think
On top of the pyramid on the dollar bill! And in the Freemason symbol! Of course! Later known as the Eye of Horus, and later still as the Eye of Providence, representing the clarity of the divine wisdom as possessed by the Dark Illuminati Elves, whose name is symbolic of the paradoxical truth that only in pure wisdom can pure shadows be cast!
Old 03-30-2014, 06:37 AM   #20
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
What if Gandalf with his help sent them home?
Old 03-31-2014, 12:35 AM   #21
Elyna of Rivendell
Animated Skeleton

Elyna of Rivendell has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotrelf View Post
What if Gandalf with his help sent them home?
I seriously doubt Gandalf, even though he was "Gandalf the White", could have sent all those elves home. Or spirited away the horses just before a huge battle for that matter.

It's probably just another film inconsistancy
Elyna of Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:30 AM   #22
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyna of Rivendell View Post
I seriously doubt Gandalf, even though he was "Gandalf the White", could have sent all those elves home. Or spirited away the horses just before a huge battle for that matter.

Peter Jackson doesn't make mistakes. Haven't you heard?

The answer, of course, is that the horses were really disguised Eagles who ran into the nearest convenient location and emerged to save the day!
Old 03-31-2014, 09:18 AM   #23
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Captains of course dismounted for the parley, and while they were confronting the Mouth a large Plot Hole opened up and swallowed the horses.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:01 AM   #24
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Palantir-Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyna of Rivendell View Post

Yes, I understand that. Just forgot to put a smiley. I was thinking of Bill the pony as well.
There's another scene like this too. Frodo and Sam are seen in Orc cloths first but later come in their own hobbit ones. How? Did I miss something? May be.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:37 AM   #25
tom the eldest
Wight

tom the eldest has just left Hobbiton.
I noticed in the battle of helms deep,the elf suddenly dissapear.even though just moments before, they were seen carrying gimli(dragging,actually)to the keep.they probably been killed off,but come on,at leastna few can escape to the keep.the killed off theory seem more likely though,given that most if the elves were killed in the wall,and the uruks,at the end,managed to cut rohan and the elf's troops to the keep and kille almost all of them.so yeah,the could bekilled off.