The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-05-2003, 10:00 PM   #1
Sauron the deciever
Animated Skeleton

Sauron the deciever has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Sauron the deciever
Sting confused...

Hello, i have a few questions for people who are willing to answer them without having a go at me about reading the books.<P>1. who are the Dunedain (please excuse me if my spelling is wrong)<P>2. Who or what is Numerore ( i think that spelling is really off)<P>3. And evenstar is what exactly???<P>Ok well if someone can make out what im talking about even with my poor spelling it would be great!! btw am i the only one around here who hasent read all the books??
Sauron the deciever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 10:49 PM   #2
Guildo
Wight

Guildo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Guildo
Sting

Numenor, and island of men.<P>Dunedain, those men from Numenor that are left. <P>Its realy tuff to explain, i would suggest reading th Appendicies in the LoTR and the Silmarillion

Glen Sight
Guildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 02:22 AM   #3
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Silmaril

I wont have a go at you <BR><B>1. who are the Dunedain?</B><BR>The Dúnedain is a term used for men of Númenor. Its also a term used for their Descendants in Arnor and Gondor after the Downfall in The Second Age.<P><B>2. Who or what is Numerore?</B><BR>Númenor is the Ancient home of the Dúnedain. It was an island raised from the sea by the Valar (Powers of Arda or Gods). It was a gift from the Valar to Men who had stayed faithful through the dark years of the First Age.<P><B>3. And evenstar is what exactly?</B><BR>Evenstar is the last name of Arwen. It was the title of Arwen, Queen to Aragorn II, referring not only to her beauty, but also her descent: the evening star was the last light of the Silmaril (Great jewels which contained the light of the two trees,Laurelin and Telperion),bound to the brow of her grandfather Eärendil.

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 03:36 AM   #4
Sauron the deciever
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Thanks! just one more thing...dosent gandalf say he's only staying until his task is done? wat is his task exactly?
Old 01-06-2003, 04:10 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Gandalf's task is defeating Sauron.<P>(By the way, Sauron the deceiver - a good help for spelling problems is typing your posts in your word processor and checking them for spelling before posting! I do it all the time. )
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 04:38 PM   #6
Sauron the deciever
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Just one more thing... if Elrond is the son of Earendil and elwig how is it that his daughter Arwen is grandaughter to Galadriel and Celeborn? And im kind of confused about Elronds brother and what isildur has to do with Elrond and his family, if any thing at all? Thanks again!
Old 01-06-2003, 04:58 PM   #7
Sauron the deciever
Animated Skeleton

Sting

LOL duh For a minute then i was thinking Elronds mother was the human...ok so dont worry bout the galadriel question.<BR>hehe
Old 01-08-2003, 01:00 AM   #8
Iargwath
Wight

Sting

<B>if Elrond is the son of Earendil and elwig how is it that his daughter Arwen is grandaughter to Galadriel and Celeborn?</B><BR>Elrond was married to Celebrían<BR>The daughter of Celeborn and Galadriel. Thus making Galadriel Arwen's Grandmother.<P><B>And im kind of confused about Elronds brother and what isildur has to do with Elrond and his family, if any thing at all?</B><BR>One of the greatest Elves in the history of Middle-earth, Elrond was born at the Havens of Sirion late in the First Age. During their sack, he and his brother Elros were taken captive by the Sons of Fëanor, but Maglor took pity on them and released them. When they were rescued, Elrond was found playing in a cave beneath a waterfall, and so received his name.<P>Both of Elrond's parents were half-elven, and after the War of Wrath he was given a choice; whether to be counted amongst the kindred of Elves or of Men. He chose the Firstborn, and remained in Lindon with High King Gil-galad.<P>After the invasion of Eriador by Sauron in the mid-Second Age, Elrond founded a refuge there in a deep hidden valley; this was named Imladris, or Rivendell in the Common Speech. After Sauron's defeat by Tar-Minastir of Númenor, Elrond remained in Rivendell, where he prospered with the aid of the Great Ring, Vilya.<P>Elrond played a great part in the histories of the Second and Third Ages; he marched with Gil-galad and Elendil to the War of the Last Alliance, and was a leading member of the White Council. At the time of the Council of Elrond in 3018 (Third Age), he had dwelt in Middle-earth for some 6,500 years.<BR>From <A HREF="http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.htm" TARGET=_blank>The Encyclopedia of Arda</A>

My M-e Forum
Old 01-08-2003, 01:47 PM   #9
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Also, as to how Elrond and Isildur are connected, Elrond's brother Elros chose to be counted among the Secondborn (Men), and through him came the Numenoreans (sp?), and thus Isildur and (eventually) Aragorn. So, Elrond and Isildur were kinda related. ???<P>If I'm wrong, someone please correct me, but I'm pretty sure I got it right. (I hope!)<p>[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: Sapphire_Flame ]
Old 01-08-2003, 02:09 PM   #10
Davin
Wight

Davin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

That's correct...as far as I know.<P>So basically Aragorn and Arwen are brother and sister right? j/k

»»The Telmena««
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 02:12 PM   #11
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Some of those answers helped me too . Thanks<p>[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 01-08-2003, 10:52 PM   #12
Iargwath
Wight

Silmaril

Aragorn and Arwen are distantly related

My M-e Forum
Old 01-10-2003, 08:14 PM   #13
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

When I first saw the family tree with Aragorn and Arwen and my first thought was "Ewwww!". Though I did get it into my head that there are A LOT of generations between Elros and Aragorn. There are many Elf and Hobbit couples that are more closely related.
Old 01-11-2003, 06:58 AM   #14
Atariel
Haunting Spirit

Atariel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I'm confused about the TT film. I think that Merry and Pippin meet Gandalf and co. at Isengard in the 3rd book (i mean the third mini book, not the ROTK)but, at the end of what is meant to be the 4th book, Sam and Frodo haven't even reached Minas Morgul, let alone met Shelob, and the Ents have just totally screwed the Ring of Isengard. it's not a problem, it's just a little confusing. one last thing: how do you get the accents and stresses on the letters when your in the forum (eg, for nUmenor, lOrien and tinUviel)?
Old 01-11-2003, 11:30 AM   #15
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Atariel, your question about the accents and other marks is answered, along with other frequently asked questions, on the <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=001152" TARGET=_blank>FAQ</A> thread, Novices and Newcomers forum.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote