The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2002, 07:57 PM   #1
Nianna Telmnar
Haunting Spirit

Nianna Telmnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nianna Telmnar
Silmaril Are you alone too? Then, you belong here...

I was reading over the LOTR Christmas list and realized I was not the only one who was the lone Tolken fan in a household. So I decided us loners should ban together.

This thread is a kind of support group for all those LOTR fans who are the only ones living in their house. Come here to complain, lament, and talk with others in your situation.

~You are not alone!
Old 12-25-2002, 08:00 PM   #2
Nianna Telmnar
Haunting Spirit

Sting

I'll start. *stands up*

Hello, my name is Nianna and I am the only Tolken fan in my house. Every time I start talking about it my father gets this blank expression on his face. Kinda like the one I get when he tries to explain football to me.
Old 12-25-2002, 08:06 PM   #3
Marsyas
Animated Skeleton

Marsyas has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm not the only fan in my house, but I'm the only 'hard-core' fan. everyone likes the movies but it doesn't go farther than that for them. My best friend is the only other LotR fan I know personally so this is nice.

*~Marsyas~*
Marsyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 08:15 PM   #4
Nianna Telmnar
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Welcome to the BD Marsyas! You should find many "hard-core" fans here. Myself included.

Oh, nice signature btw.
Old 12-25-2002, 08:21 PM   #5
DaughterofVana
Wight

DaughterofVana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nianna.... was I the one that inspired thee?? If so, Woo-hoo! (does a happy-dance)

Hello, my name is 'Vana, and I am the only Tolkien fan in my house. My parents, as I said on the Christmas post, believe that this is just a passing phase, so they become worried and critical when I speak about long-term Tolkien plans, like a tengwar tattoo or a LOTR baby-name. "What are you looking at online?" asks my mother. When I tell her I'm posting at BD (again) or reading the other posts, at one of the language sites trying to learn elvish, or brushing up on my tengwar (I'm actually getting pretty good)... she grows strangely silent. She makes me ashamed for my fandom! It's not like I'm going to leagally change my name, for goodness-sake! At least I HAVE a hobby. Whenever my dad makes a wise-crack about me buying ANOTHER Tolkien-related book, I always say "hey, dad, I could be spending it on drugs."

Thanks for the thread! Great idea!

-'Vana

Hi! Did you miss me?
DaughterofVana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 08:37 PM   #6
Nianna Telmnar
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Yes, Vana. You were my inspiration. Don't let the parental units get you down. You're right. You could be spending your time doing drugs, alcohol, etc. but your not. They're probably just upset b/c it's not a "normal" obsession. Ya know, like football, or teenage pop singers. (no offense to anyone here who happens to like either. just illustrating my point.)

~ keep 'em coming y'all!
Old 12-25-2002, 09:21 PM   #7
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

I didn't used to be, but now I am. My dad used to be hardcore, but now he gets Saruman and Sauron confused and when we were watching FotR, he asked where Smaug was... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] My mom's read the books, so she actually knows what I'm talking about when I blab on and on, but she usually tells me to shut up. She also refuses to support anything having to do with LoTR merchandise, so I have to save my pennies [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2002, 09:28 PM   #8
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Each of my family members have attempted to read the books, but never got farther than Book III. Alas, I am alone, although my parents encourage my "obsession", and my best friend is a fan (although not obsessed). I also got you guys, so I'm fine...until I become a professor in Tolkienology! Woo-hoo!
Old 12-26-2002, 12:44 PM   #9
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

WOW! DaughterofVana that's exactly what i say to my parents! they say to be is that a threat, and then they tell me to shut up, go to my room and find a normal life!

My parents aren't very supportive! They seem to think i came from under the stairs or something and tend to ignore me and call me a freak! i don't suppose your parents are that negative are they? when your rich and famous your meant to say "well
my parents were really supportive so long as i was happy!" i don't think that will work for me i'll have to find something else or never be famous!

that's it us people who don't have supportive parents don't get to be famous!
Old 12-26-2002, 01:12 PM   #10
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hi, and thankyou for the great thread [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

im totally alone in my addiction in my house
my mum is the only one who saw the movies, and then she's just "oh, thats nice..." and not an actual fan. she knows my room is a tolkien shrine, and she still seems incapable of thinking that i would like anything tolkien related, basically for xmas or a birthday, unless i drag her to the shops and shove the item im gagging for in her face!
i have about two friends who like (more love) the movies, but are more inclined to buy orlando bloom posters than Unfinished Tales, and dont really share my all-out obsession

i was about to apologise for boring you all with my complaining and moping... then i remembered that the topic was for that [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]... so i won't
Old 12-26-2002, 02:01 PM   #11
Nianna Telmnar
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Arelendil, don't let them get you down. I believe everyone has people they belong with. Just that some aren't born into them and have to find them later in life. Among friends. (my attempt at deep thought here)

Yay! I'm so glad that you all like my thread.

[ December 26, 2002: Message edited by: Nianna Telmnar ]
Old 12-26-2002, 02:13 PM   #12
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Ahh that's so nice Nianna Telmnar! My mum can be really negative and doesn't understand at all. Her phrase for christmas is 'Stop being a freak and grow up! don't you care what people thing?' to which i normal say no very loudly, swear at her in elvish and then come and wander around here!

it's good to know that your not alone in this world even if you can't see them. My biggest strength has to be the BDs and of course Gothrothlammiel, she's the best, i don't know what i'd do without them! yes i do i'd be normal but a hollow shell. something that moves where it's told but can't think or feel beyond that! at least that's how i feel half the time!
Old 12-26-2002, 02:24 PM   #13
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*hugs the Barrow Downs
Old 12-26-2002, 02:37 PM   #14
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Taure Leafsilver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Taure Leafsilver
Sting

I'm one of the five LOTR fans in Jasper ,AL that's right 5 known fans in the city.
Old 12-26-2002, 02:50 PM   #15
Kirsanne_Tolebrass
Pile O'Bones

Kirsanne_Tolebrass has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kirsanne_Tolebrass
Sting

I live with me mum and little brother and neither one understands LOTR! I try to get them to read the books, or even see the movies, but they won't! AAAHHH!!!
Old 12-26-2002, 03:29 PM   #16
Luineglin
Haunting Spirit

Luineglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

GET THIS!!!!! my family loves fantasy but doesnt like LOTR!!!!!!!!!!!
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Bilbo Baggins Describing Aragorn Son of Arathorn Heir of Elendil,Elessar-Elfstone of his people
Luineglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 06:43 PM   #17
Nianna Telmnar
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

That's like saying "I love the theatre, but I hate Shakesphere." [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
But everyone's entitled to their opinion, I suppose.
Old 12-27-2002, 04:40 AM   #18
HammerTime
Pile O'Bones

HammerTime has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thank god there are others like me out there... Both my parents have tried LotR, and they both dislike it. I'm all alone...

Except for all you people I don't know of course, ahem.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:45 AM   #19
Adastrea
Animated Skeleton

Adastrea has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My dad was a hardcore fan when he was younger, but he hasn't read the books for years, he gets the film, but doesn't support my fandom. My mom can't stand Sci-fi or Fantasy, thinks their abnormal! Keeps going on about how dark they are, and "You mustn't live in a fantasy land" come on I know whats real and what isn't! Oh well at least my friend is more obsessed than me! If thats Possible!
Old 12-27-2002, 11:24 AM   #20
Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood
Eye

I'm not completely alone in my house, though I am the only hard-core fan. My dad only read FOTR, but he saw the cartoon hobbit movie and the Lord of the Rings movie. He also saw FOTR in theater with me. He was the one who got me into it, because he loves it. Though I ended up surpassing him(by far!) and he hasn't had the time to read TTT. And he doesn't want to go see the movie until he reads it, which I think is good.

So he sometimes encourages my reading expansion of J.R.R. Tolkien, but sometimes he does think I go a bit to far. He even takes pride in himself for the fact that he was the one who got me into it. My mom liked the movie, but most of the times she just rolls her eyes at me when I start going on and on. The good thing though is that they do buy me Tolkien related stuff!

I also have plenty of friends who adore Middle-Earth and the stories within it. I have about 4-5 hard core friends and like 4 fan friends. But I also have all of you here and I'm very thankful for that.

I know I'm not alone in this and therefore should not be posting here, but I want to encourage you all to never lose interest in what you love just because someone for example called you a freak or you're the only one you know who likes it. I think it's great that despite what everyone else thinks of your obsessions, you just keep on doing what you love to do. And that's wonderful, because nobody should try to change who you are. Because you are all truly great people.

Sorry for rambling on, but I just thought that all of you should be congratulated.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:32 AM   #21
Nianna Telmnar
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Well said Thengise of Mirkwood! That is why I started this thread to show them they really aren't alone after all. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2002, 08:16 PM   #22
Inwe
Pile O'Bones

Location: in a hole in the ground...there lived a hobbit....Too bad I'm not one of them
Inwe has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Hello. I'm not TOTALLY alone, my mother likes LOTR and is a big fan, but it confuses the poor lady to death. My little sister likes the movies (becuase of someone who has fake blonde hair on, and has the initials O.B.....hint,hint), but I'm the only one in my home who knows anything besides the fact that frodo is a hobbit.
My parents try to get me to be "Normal" and to stop living in a "fantasy world" and focus on having a "Life", but I don't see the problem. Just because I'm a bit...um...strange.....Well, let's just say I have one or two really good friends who know that Harry Potter is not the Lord of the Rings. My cousin Jill actually asked that once!!! These girls who work with my mom named Keri and Jamie and I were talking about going to TTT and how the new harry potter could've been better and Jill comes walking up and says "But isn't Harry Potter the Lord of the Rings?". Sad [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] but true.
Well, I should stop boring you guys to death, huh?

Sorry about that, I get a bit mental sometimes. A piece of advice : NEVER EVER get me going on something that I can talk about, you'll NEVER EVER hear the end of it. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2002, 05:31 AM   #23
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I'm totally alone, too. I don't care if my family is into LOTR or not (they have all seen the films and my sister has also read the book), but what bothers me more is that I have no LOTR-addicted friends!!!
I have only one friend with whom I can talk about LOTR and she's living abroad right now!
I guess that's why I spend so much time here at Barrow-Downs [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]...
Old 12-28-2002, 06:54 AM   #24
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
*stands up*
Hi I'm Helkahothion and I'm all alone exept for my stupid braindead sister.

She went to see the movie and laughed when Theodon cried when they burried his son. She call's Legolas Blondie and thinks that every movie one of the Fellowship had to die. She also thinks that Gimli lives in Moria and that Gandalf pull's bunny's out of his hat.

Can you imagine my pain? I just hate her and even more because she saw TTT before me. (She ordered in some fancy theatre that I could not afford, d*mn her.)

But my parents are a little opposite. When I ws watching fotr my father only saw the Amon Hen part and automaticly proclaimed it stupid. My mother wants to see the movie sometimes, but because of the time she never has time for it so I am doomed to be alone for shure. Altough I have a friend at school that is now half way TTT and he asks me a lot about lotr so I just get my kicks out of that. (let's ofcaurse not forget BDs)

I would deffinetly like to thank you for finnaly letting out my troubles with my halfwitted famaly.

*hug's the tread and everyone in it*

Greetings,

Anuion
________
HINDUISM DICUSSION

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 12:15 PM   #25
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Jeesh, I guess I don't belong here because my whole family's LOTR fans. Though I believe I'm the only one obsessed. Even my 8 year old brother likes it though he hasn't seen the liveaction movies or read the Hobbit (he's too young to read LOTR, being only in third grade). But I must say this is a good thread. *stands up from table and solemly leaves in search for adventure in Mirkwood*
Old 12-28-2002, 12:58 PM   #26
Anmarwen

Sting

Yes, i think i reallly belong to that place!!
I'm obsessed and all in my family call me crazy....
Ok, my name is Lote and i'm very happy that
the 2nd movie of Lotr is in the cinemas!!
What do you all think of it??
(sorry for my strange, bad english..I'm from Switzerland [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img])

Namarie
Lote
Old 12-28-2002, 01:09 PM   #27
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Anmarwen, don't be sorry. Your English is fine.
Old 12-28-2002, 01:25 PM   #28
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

I'm also the only Tolkien fan in my household. My brother makes fun of me and calls me a geek (he's 21) because I went dressed up as a hobbit to school and to the first showing of TT. But it didn't bother me really. It's sad because my mom thinks she knows everything and she goes and explains my website (see sig.) to my aunt. I just sit there waiting for her to screw up (which she did throughtout the whole conversation). It was sad...really sad.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 01:42 PM   #29
Nianna Telmnar
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Your mother sounds a lot like my father. Always right and too proud to admit when theyre right. I just have to be careful I don't pull the same thing some times. (we're more alike then i care to admit) Our parents and their generation are pretty set in their ways. If they're not Tolken fans by now, it's pretty much a lost cause. Just try to respect each other's opinions I guess. (or do what I did and go AWAY to college)
LOL to all of you!
Old 12-28-2002, 05:23 PM   #30
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My family's all read it and watched it (well, not TTT, we're seeing it next week though) compared to some of you it isn't that bad, but whenever dad sees me here, he reads a bit and kind of looks worried, so I scroll away so he can't read any more [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]. Then when I'm reading the book, he knows I've already read it once so he keeps saying that we need to get me something else to read, like re-reading Lotr is a bad thing [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2002, 05:26 PM   #31
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, sadly seeing how much of an obsessed fan I am, I am the only LOTR fanatic I know of. I have one friend who likes it. But he hasn't even finished the LOTR books yet. And he started them a year ago. But still, my family makes fun of me and thinks I'm stupid for being so obsessed. But I don't care. Why should I? If I am happy loving Tolkien's Middle Earth, why should I change just because I get criticized for it. I shouldn't. And I am proud of my obsession.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 05:31 PM   #32
Ar-Gilien
Animated Skeleton

Ar-Gilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I am not quite alone in my fan-dom of Tolkien and LoTR, but rather alone in the understanding of his works, thereof.

For instance, my mom, case in point, saw the first movie, came out of the theater, with the 'I just don't get it!' look on her face, when I asked her if she read the books at all, she shook her head, said no. Well, it does help if you do read the books, maybe then, things will make more sense.

But here I am...semi-loner fan of JRR Tolkien, where do I sign up?

[ December 28, 2002: Message edited by: Ar-Gilien ]
Old 12-28-2002, 06:10 PM   #33
Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood
Eye

You should be proud Eruwen! Just as I'm proud of all of you here. As long as you're happy nothing else should matter.

Oh and Ar-Gilien here's the sign up book.

*hands Ar-Gilien the sign up book*

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2002, 09:18 PM   #34
Ar-Gilien
Animated Skeleton

Ar-Gilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Why, thank you, m'lord Thengise! *bows and signs her name in flowing elvish script!* [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously though, it's rather hard to explain the movie to someone who hasn't ever even opened the cover of a Tolkien book. They ask the questions, but all I can answer is: "Read the book and find out for yourself." Which doesn't seem to do any good. I think if you want to learn about Middle Earth, the best way is through personal reading experience, not having someone explain it to you second-hand. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2002, 09:51 PM   #35
Nianna Telmnar
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

*smiles*
It's human nature to want the easy answer. Why go through the trouble of reading a book when you can just pump somebody for information? I know it's hard to grasp, I certainly don't understand, but some people place reading for pleasure alongside hard labor.

*picks up book. reads all the new signatures, and smiles approvingly*

Quite a few new names since I last checked on the thread. I hope everyone found what they were looking for.

[ December 28, 2002: Message edited by: Nianna Telmnar ]
Old 12-28-2002, 11:13 PM   #36
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

Here's my family's status when it comes to being a Ringie:

Mom- Read the books 20 years ago, now that she's getting it back from the movies she likes it okay.

Dad- Could care less, but could care more.

Younger brother- Lord of the Rings? What the heck is THAT?

I am also a lone fan in my household. However, I have two friends who are big fans. One of them is Brinniel, she goes here, you might know her [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. The other is currently writing the FUNNIEST PARODY IN THE WORLD of FotR, and I'm encouraging her to join the forum.
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 04:21 AM   #37
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Well if you are trying to convince her you have my blessing.

Go with the light and bring her here. But haste yourself, for the corrupted world and the teeth's of time are already nibbling at the fine spirit's of Tolkien fans. Hurry!

Sorry was getting a little poetic there.

*Signs the guestbook and shut's the h*ll up*

Greetings,

Anuion

[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: Helkahothion ]
________
ANGELINA JOLIE

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 06:28 AM   #38
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Silmaril

Nianna Telmnar, your replies are wise and well thought of. Just had to say that, couldnt help myself. Well im also a lone LotR fan in my household. I am seen as a 16 year old with a great love for Tolien's works. Although my parents dont approve with me asking for Tolkien related books and merchandise, they understand that i like everything Middle earth. They dont put me down for liking Tolkien, but they put me down if im sitting reading Tolkien instead of doing a school paper.
My mother and father are very understanding, and they take my love for Tolkien as an advantage. How? you may ask. Its simple really. Its not really hard for them to think of a birthday or christmas gift for me [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Also my father happened to really like FotR after watching the dvd with me. But my mother doesnt really bother...

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 12:10 PM   #39
Nianna Telmnar
Haunting Spirit

Sting

*blushes* I'm honored that you think so Iargwath.
Your lucky. It's sounds to me like your parents are pretty understanding about your passion for Tolken. (of course they're going to come down on you for reading when your supposed to be doing work. that's their job. they wouldn't be good parents if they didn't) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2002, 12:14 PM   #40
Anmarwen

Sting

Thank's Cherie Centaur!!
My english teacher doesn't think that
when we have to write a redaction
(Elven and elven!!Thats not true blablabla..)

My brother says i'm obsessed Freak, i and a friend, we made Hobbit ears and we went to the cinema with them...We didn't have to pay,
the woman at the entrance found it soooo nice(Oh, oh funny oh my god...)

Namarie