The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2003, 05:50 PM   #1
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting The Golden Globes

Yell at me if there's already a thread on this topic.<P>Do you think <I>The Lord of the Rings</I> should have one a Golden Globe? If so, which one? And why?<P>I definitely think it deserved to win a Golden Globe, at least the one for Best Director. Making a movie like that is hard work, and I think that Peter Jackson definitely deserves the award for Best Director for the excellent movies he's created. <P>I'm not really qualified to comment, though, as I haven't seen any of the other movies that won awards. Anyway, I'm still mad that LOTR didn't win anything <p>[ January 21, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 01-21-2003, 05:59 PM   #2
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I wasn't really expecting TTT to win anything. Like every year, there was big competition. Plus, I don't believe any fantasy movie has ever won a Golden Globe or Oscar for Best Picture.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:12 PM   #3
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

"Return of the King" could change all that, I believe.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:25 PM   #4
cannedpoatoe
Haunting Spirit

cannedpoatoe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to cannedpoatoe
Ring

It should have because I think it really is agreat movie and deserves an award but then there are some people that don't understand the complications of hobbits and such and must fill their mind with other things. Hopefully many awrds will be awarded in the future.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:02 PM   #5
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I knew TTT would not win any Golden Globes, FOTR did not win any either. I think last year FOTR was only nominated for 3, and I thought TTT was lucky that it recieved those nominations. How many people have seen "The Hours" or "Chicago"? TTT should have won.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:32 PM   #6
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I saw both & I knew that TTT didn't stand a chance. It's not like I thought that they were better, but I knew that the people who vote would.<P>I can let it slide without getting upset, this year, if PJ does not get an Oscar for Best Director, but he really REALLY deserves one in the long run. He did (and still does) so much work that it's crazy!<BR>I hope that ROTK will make everyone see what a great piece of art these films are and that they should break the seeming rule of "no fantasy movies get awards".<P>I expect TTT to get some techincal awards... most definitely, but I haven't much hope beyond that for this year. But "there is still hope" for next year (well, actually it's this year now, isn't it!!!!)
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 01:37 AM   #7
Sauron the deciever
Animated Skeleton

Sauron the deciever has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Sauron the deciever
Sting

Thats what happened when FOTR didnt win best director or best picture everyone was like "Oh well he'll get it for TTT" now it seems people feel that way about ROTK too. But i dont reckon they'll ever give it to a fantasy film. Im angry too though.
Sauron the deciever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 09:05 PM   #8
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"Return of the King" could change all that, I believe. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I've actually been thinking about that. Out of the three movies, ROTK is the only one that has an ending. I remember my family was disappointed on how TTT just ended, and I'm sure they aren't the only ones who haven't read the books who think that.<P>The audience seems to like movies better when they have an ending. I do think ROTK will have a better chance.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:41 PM   #9
nevlhachien
Animated Skeleton

nevlhachien has just left Hobbiton.
Question

yeah im hoping RoTK will get something. i really wanted TTT to get best picture and i told myself that if it didn't win best pic. i'd have to go see the one that did. so now i have to go see the hours (isn't that what won?) but it doesn't look too bad. but i was quite dissapointed when i saw TTT didn't win. okay ill stop. im just babbling anyway.<P>-Nevie
Old 01-25-2003, 10:31 PM   #10
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Silmaril

As somebody mentioned before, They werent expecting Two Towers to recieve an award. Likewise with me. Although the movie was fantastic, it is very hard for a movie with a fantasy genre to win at these award ceremonies. <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Plus, I don't believe any fantasy movie has ever won a Golden Globe or Oscar for Best Picture.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>The only 'fantasy' movie to have won an Oscar for Best Motion Picture was E.T (Steven Speilberg) I dont beleive it is a fantasy film, but the Acadamy states it is.

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 10:56 PM   #11
hobbit punk
Haunting Spirit

hobbit punk has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I do not feel that the Two Towers deserved a golden globe for best picture. It is better than Chicago and the Hours, I am sure, but I found the film a bit of a disappointment at times. It has fallen into the stupid hollywood action with a tough hero(which PJ has made out to be Aragorn although the hobbits are supposed to be the heroes of the story)who will save the day with his silly sidekicks type of film. Ok, ok the purist in me is speaking and I did enjoy it but I was very, very disappointed over some things. I agree that ROTK has a better chance because of the ending. It is true that some of the public who have not read the book didn't know that there were three movies! I watched as some girl got all ****y at the end of FOTR because she was like what a stupid movie there is no ending! Like how can ppl not know? Anyways, TTT will prob win some oscars for costume or something. I hear that Andy Sirkis has a good chance to win best supporting actor! That would be amazing! Well that is all for now before I continue to ramble on and on
Old 01-25-2003, 11:39 PM   #12
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

There was a discussion about this at another forum if you want to read it. <A HREF="http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38566" TARGET=_blank>http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38566</A>