The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-22-2002, 09:04 PM   #1
manhands69

Pipe Most favorite one-liners

I love the trilogy so much and I actually wrote down abunch of the lines from the book, including some of the poetry. i was wondering if anyone would like to reproduce some of their favorable lines in this thread. [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img] [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2002, 09:35 PM   #2
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

From what I've read so far, [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] :

-"So that is the King of Rohan!...A fine old fellow. Very polite."
Pippin

-"Well, I am going back into the open air, to see what the wind and sky are doing."
Legolas

-'Lorien was slipping backward, like a bright ship masted with enchanted trees, sailing on to forgotten shores, while they sat helpless upon the margin of the grey and leafless world.'

-"...here my heart dwells ever, unless there be a light beyond the dark roads that we still must tread, you and I. Come with me!"
'...And taking Frodo's hand in his, he left the hill of Cerin Amroth and came there never again as living man.'

-"Alas for us all! And for all that walk the world in these after-days. For such is the way of it: to find and lose, as it seems to those whose boat is on the running stream."
Legolas

-"If he forgets, I shall roast him."
Gandalf

-"Let us shut out the night! For you are still afraid, perhaps, of mist and tree-shadows and deep water, and untame things. Fear nothing! For tonight you are under the roof of Tom Bombadil."
Goldberry

-'In the stern sat Aragorn son of Arathorn, proud and erect, guiding the boat with skillful strokes; his hood was cast back, and his dark hair was blowing in the wind, a light was in his eyes: a king returning from exile into his own land.'
..."How my heart yearns for Minas Anor and the walls of my own city! But whither now shall I go?"

And of course, the songs. Especially Bilbo's song about the road, it still moves me to tears. Oh blimey, what's the use? I may as well post the entire book here while I'm at it!
Old 01-23-2002, 01:48 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

What a great idea for a thread, ManHands!

Lush, you've already got some I like; as I've been reading my books with pencil in hand this time, I'll add a few of my favorites:

"Mercy!" cried Gandalf. "If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?"

(Pippin's answer)"The names of all the stars, and of all living things, and the whole history of Middle-earth and Over-heavens and of the Sundering Seas. Of course! What less?"

(the Warden, Houses of Healing)"The world is full enough of hurts and mischances without wars to multiply them."

(Eowyn)"It needs but one foe to breed a war, not two."

(Aragorn)"The counsel of Gandalf was not founded on foreknowledge of safety, for himself or for others. Ther are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

I could keep going - there's so much wisdom in there . . .
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 09:06 AM   #4
Carannillion
Wight

Carannillion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"If I yawn any more, I shall split at the ears. Good night!"
-Merry

"'What have you to say that you did not say at our last meeting?' he asked. 'Or, perhaps, you have things to unsay?'"
-Gandalf

I don't have all three books here, so I can't qoute any more (tricky situation, living in two places...)
Old 01-23-2002, 11:45 AM   #5
Fenrir
Wight

Fenrir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"But soon all shall be burned. The West has failed. It shall all go up in a great fire, and all shall be ended. Ash! Ash and smoke blown away on the wind!" - that cheerful line was curtesy of Denethor.

"Well, I'm back" - Sam Gamgee

"Still round the corner there may wait
A new road or a secret gate;
And though I oft have past them by,
A day must come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun." - Frodo

"And now, what ship will bear you back across so wide a sea?" he mocked. "It will be a grey ship, and full of ghosts." - Saruman
Old 01-23-2002, 01:22 PM   #6
Maeglin
Wight

Maeglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"You fool of a took! Throw your self in next time..."

"Each one have something to valueble to entrust someone else..." (I translated this myswlf so it's probably not right.)

"Many that live deserves death and some that die deserves life..." that one, you know...
Old 01-23-2002, 01:57 PM   #7
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My absolute favorite?

"I like less than half of you as well as you deserve" (Bilbo)

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 03:18 PM   #8
Manhands69

Sting

Very awesome guys! The song Frodod sings in teh shire at the end of the third book is so great. I love how you could almost apply to that to everyday situations. Does anyone else have some fav quotes? or ones that seem to fit into the occcassion?
Old 01-23-2002, 03:50 PM   #9
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The sooner I fall asleep the sooner I shall drop off, if you take my meaning. -Samwise Gamgee
Old 01-23-2002, 08:35 PM   #10
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

"Do not spoil the wonder with haste!" Legolas to Gimli, pg. 57 of The Return of the King.
And of course..."Second Breakfast, Elevenses, etc."
Awesome thread! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2002, 08:58 PM   #11
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Sting

-"Knock on the doors with your head, Peregrin Took. But if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words."
(Gandalf, when asked by Pippin how he would open the Moria gates)
Old 01-23-2002, 09:59 PM   #12
SlinkerStinker
Pile O'Bones

SlinkerStinker has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In nothing is the power of Sauron more clearly shown than in the estrangement that divides those who oppose him. - The G Man
SlinkerStinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 12:51 PM   #13
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Here are two more favorite quotes of mine:

"Memory is not what the heart desires. That is only a mirror." (Gimli to Legolas, leaving Lothlorien)

"Oft it may chance that old wives keep in memory word of things that once were needful for the wise to know." (Celeborn)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 01:29 PM   #14
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"..he was young, and he was king, the Lord of a fell people." -about Eomer after the death of Theoden on the Pellenor Fields

There are many others I love, but I don't have my books with me now.
Old 02-07-2002, 02:22 PM   #15
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dûm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

-Now my little fellows,where be you a-going to, puffing like a bellows? What's the matter here then? Do you know who I am? I'm Tom Bombadil. Tell me what's the trouble! Tom's in a hurry now. Don't you crush my lilies! -The first words Tom said to Frodo and Sam. It really made me wonder at the time "Who/What is this fella?".

-'Elendil!' he cried. "I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dunadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil's son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!'-Aragorn speaking to Eomer at their first meeting.

-'Strange names you give indeed!'-Said one of Theoden's guard to Gandalf.

-'Dotard! What is the house of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll on the floor among the dogs? Too long have they escaped the gibbet themselves. But the noose comes, slow in drawing, tight and hard in the end. Hang if you will! -Saruman to Theoden

-I wish I could get at Ted, and I'd fell him! -Sam

-'Smeagol has to take whats given him,'
answered Gollum, 'He was given that name by kind Master Samwise, the hobbit that knows so much.' -Gollum on his new name by Sam as "sneak".

-'Now come, you filth!' he cried. 'You've hurt my master, you brute, and you'll pay for it. We're going on; but we'll settle with you first. Come on, and taste it again!' -Sam to Shelob

-'I wager I could stand you on your head or lay you on your back.' -Bergil to Pippin

-'Then in the name of the King, go and find some old man of less lore and more wisdom who keeps some in his house!' -Gandalf said to Bergil about kinsfoil.

-'I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.' -Gandalf to Sam, Merry and Pippen.

-'You have grown, Halfling,' he said. 'Yes, you have grown very much. You are wise, and cruel. You have robbed my revenage of sweetness, and now I must go hence in bitterness, in debt to your mercy. I hate it and you! Well, I go and I will trouble you no more. But do not expect me to wish you health and long life. You will have neither. But that is not my doing. I merely foretell.' -Saruman to Frodo

-"Well, I'm back' -Sam

Those are just a hand full of quotes that stuck with me. Their is much more, but it would take to long, and to much space.
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2002, 03:48 PM   #16
KayQy
Wight

KayQy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to KayQy
Sting

"Eavesdropping, sir? I don't follow you, begging your pardon. There ain't no eaves at Bag End, and that's a fact."

...said Bilbo. "Books ought to have good endings. How would this do: and they all settled down and lived happily ever after?"
"It will do well, if it ever comes to that, said Frodo.
"Ah!" said Sam. "And where will they live? That's what I often wonder."

"...Laurelindórinan! That is what the Elves used to call it, but now they make the name shorter: Lothlórien they call it. Perhaps they are right; maybe it is fading, not growing."

"But it is a greater honour to dangle at your tail, Gandalf. For one thing, in that position one has a chance of putting a question a second time."

"Master Meriadoc," said Aragorn, "if you think that I have passed through mountains and the realm of Gondor with fire and sword to bring herbs to a careless soldier who throws away his gear, you are mistaken. If your pack has not been found, then you must send for the herbmaster of this House. And he will tell you that he did not know that the herb you desire had any virtues, but that it is called westmansweed by the vulgar, and galenas by the noble, ond other names in other tongues more learned, and after adding a few half-forgotten rhymes that he does not understand, he will regretfully inform you that there is none in the House, and he will leave you to reflect on the history of tongues."

Ooops. These are supposed to be one-liners, aren't they.

[ February 07, 2002: Message edited by: KayQy ]

--OC Supertones, "Wilderness"

"Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter." -- Max Beerbohm
KayQy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 04:03 PM   #17
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Quote:
I sit beside the fire and think of athat I have seen, of meadow-flowers and butterflies in summers that have been......But all the while I sit and think of times there were before, I listen for returning feet and voices at the door.
That one makes me cry [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 04:11 PM   #18
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Daisy Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Pipe

"Frodo! Mr. Frodo, my dear!" cried Sam, tears alomost blinding him. 'It's Sam, I'v come!'
- Sam rescueing Frodo from The Tower of Cirith Ungol.

Oh, I love this quote!! I love this scene!! I love everything that has to do with this chapter in ROTK. It alomst made me cry when Sam resued Frodo from the tower.
*sniffles* Such a great part of the book!
Old 02-07-2002, 04:24 PM   #19
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

Ah, what luck and what oddness. No one has said any of my favorite lines yet, and I am very much surprised by that.

"As far as he could remember, Sam slept through the night in deep content, if logs are contented." ~"In the House of Tom Bombadil", FotR

"'I am nearly twenty-nine, so I pass you there; though I am but four feet, and not likely to grow anymore, save sideways.'" ~Pippin, "Minas Tirith", RotK

(Aw, heck, just read the last four or so pages of "The Stairs of Cirith Ungol"; that's my favorite part of the whole book! But here's some highlights anyways.)

"'No, they never end as tales,' said Frodo. 'But the people in them come, and go when their parts ended...'" ~"The Stairs of Cirith Ungol", TTT

"'Why Sam,' he said, 'to hear you somehow makes me as merry as if the story was already written. But you've left out one of the cheif characters: Samwise the stouthearted. "I want to hear more about Sam, dad. Why didn't they put in more of his talk, dad? That's what I like, it makes me laugh. And Frodo wouldn't have got far without Sam, would he, dad?"'" ~"The Stairs of Cirith Ungol", TTT

"...Sam sat propped against the stone, his head dropping sideways and his breathing heavy. In his lap lay Frodo's head, drowned deep in sleep; upon his white forehead lay one of Sam's brown hands, and the other lay softly upon his master's breast. Peace was in both their faces." ~"The Stairs of Cirith Ungol", TTT

"For a fleeting moment, could one of the sleepers have seen him, they would have thought that they beheld an old weary hobbit, shrunken by the years that had carried him far beyond his time, beyond friends and kin, and the feilds and streams of youth, an old starved pitiable thing." ~about Gollum/Smeagol, "The Stairs of Cirith Ungol", TTT

"'That's done it!' said Sam. "Now I've rung the front-door bell! Well, come on somebody!' he cried. 'Tell Captain Shagrat that the great Elf-warrior has called, with his elf-sword too!'" ~"The Tower of Cirith Ungol", RotK

"...Frodo groaned; but with a great effort of will he staggered up; and then he fell upon his knees again. He raised his eyes with difficulty to the dark slopes...towering above him, and then pitifully he began to crawl forward on his hands.

"Sam looked at him and wept in his heart, but no tears came to his dry and stinging eyes. 'I said I'd carry him, if it broke my back,' he muttered, 'and I will!'" ~"Mount Doom", RotK

"'So all my plan is spoilt!' said Frodo. 'It is no good trying to escape you. But I'm glad, Sam. I cannot tell you how glad...'" ~"The Breaking of the Fellowship", FotR

"'Of all the confounded nuisances you are the worst, Sam!'" ~Frodo, "The Breaking of the Fellowship", FotR

There, that should do it...for now. And Sam's song in the tower of Cirith Ungol made me want to cry; it just says so much about so many things... *sniffle*
Old 02-07-2002, 05:25 PM   #20
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Oo! I can't forget this one! It's the only time I've ever approved of the use of the word "*** " in such a manner:

"My dear *** , your pack is lying by your bed, and you had it on your back when I met you. He saw it all the time of course..." ~Pippin to Merry, "The Houses of Healing", RotK
Old 02-07-2002, 08:39 PM   #21
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

Here is another good one that brought a smile to my face:

Quote:
"I am not a tree root, Sir," he [Merry] said, "nor a bag, but a bruised hobbit. The least you can do in amends is to tell me what is afoot."
[ February 07, 2002: Message edited by: Lush ]
Old 02-07-2002, 09:42 PM   #22
Manhands69

Sting

Guys, I have to give it to all of you that have bothered to pull out your books or think back in your minds to your favorite quotes or one-liners. This is by far the greatest thread. By just gazing over a few quotes that whole entrancing feeling of LOTR reoccurs and reoccurs. Very pleasant! keep adding guys!
Old 02-07-2002, 11:12 PM   #23
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Those are all great quotes. But I interpreted "one-liners" as something that made me laugh out loud! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

From the book: "Sneaking!" - Gollum

From the movie: "Nobody tosses a dwarf!" - Gimli
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 06:26 AM   #24
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

From the film:

Pippin: "But what about breakfast?"
Aragorn: "We've already had breakfast."
Pippin: "First breakfast, yes, but what about second breakfast?"
Merry: "I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip."
Pippin: "What about elevensies? And brunch? Lunch and afternoon tea? Dinner? Super?! He knows about those, doesn't he?"

(I'm not sure which one said this.) "Oh, that's nice! Ash on my tamato!"

And we mustn't forget:
"You're supposed to put it in the ground!"
"It is in the ground!"
"Outside!"
"This was your idea-!"

Is it just me, or does anyone else think "Fed and George of the Shire" when they see these two?

And I can't forget the noise poor Sam made when Gandalf beaned him with his staff. "Somethin' about a ring and the end of the world-Oh, please, Mr. Gandalf, don't turn me into anythin'...unnatural..." Poor Sam. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2002, 11:24 AM   #25
Fenrir
Wight

Sting

"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!" - The Lord of the Nazgul

"Do not bandy words in your insolence with the Mouth of Sauron!" he cried. "Surety you crave! Sauron gives none. If you sue for his clemancy you must first do his bidding. These are his terms. Take them or leave them!" - The Mouth of Sauron

"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship should come to me, what ship would bear me ever back across so wide a sea?" - Galadriel

"Not in Middle-Earth, nor until the lands that lie under the wave are lifted up again. Then in the willow-meads of Tasarinan we may meet in the Spring. Farewell!" - Galadriel

"Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom." - Gandalf

"Precious" - Gollum's last wail

"We still remember, we who dwell
In this far land beneath the trees
The starlight on the Western Seas."

It isn't fair. Whatever page I turn to there's always a favourite line.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:53 AM   #26
Balefalathiel
Animated Skeleton

Balefalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

''Bilbo-bo-bo-bo-...'' Balin said that in Hobbit before he fell asleep.. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Balin was the best! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Balefalathiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 04:14 PM   #27
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Shield

I am reading Unfinished Tales, and came across this one.
"Orc-work in the woods for Orc-words in the hall!" Turin as he is chasing Saeros (who's naked [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] - naked male elves! Woohoo!) through the woods.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:48 PM   #28
Lush
Fair and Cold

Eye

Well, it's about TIME the Elves got naked. What's the point in being the "fairest in the land" if you cover it up for 3,000 years? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Moving on with favorite quotes, here is another gem:
"Of course we can't read the notice in the dark...And if hobbits of the Shire are to be kept out in the wet on a night like this, I'll tear down your notice when I find it."
-Sam.
Old 02-10-2002, 12:01 AM   #29
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Naked elves?! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Aaaahhhh!!! Must...erase...odd mental picture...! *grabs LotR* Hah, try this! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

"'...Cast off these cold rags! Run naked on the grass, while Tom goes a-hunting!'...
...The hobbits ran about for a while on the grass, as he told them..." ~"Fog On the Barrow-Downs", FotR

All right, I sincerely apologize for that. Here's a better quote from the same chapter:

"'What in the name of wonder?' began Merry, feeling the golden circlet that had slipped over one eye. Then he stopped, and a shadow came over his face, and he closed his eyes. 'Of course, I remember!' he said. 'The men of Carn Dum came on us at night, and we were worsted. Ah! the spear in my heart!' He clutched at his breast. 'No! No!' he said, opening his eyes. 'What am I saying? I have been dreaming...'" ~"Fog On the Barrow-Downs", FotR

I should have liked to see that in the film. Of course, that would have meant putting old Tom Bombadil back in and, well, we just can't have that! (Poor Merry, poor Tom.)
Old 02-10-2002, 05:16 AM   #30
Fenrir
Wight

Sting

"So it seems," he said. "But let us not be overthrown at the final test, who of old renounced the Shadow and the Ring. In sorrow we must go, but not in despair. Behold! we are not bound for ever to the circles of the world and beyond them is more than memory. Farewell!" - Aragorn [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2002, 05:32 AM   #31
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Ring

Well, my favorite line should be obvious - look at my signature. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
But my next favorites are from the first chapter of The Hobbit.
Quote:
"What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that is a morning to be good on?"
Quote:
"To think that I should have lived to be good-morninged by Belladonna Took's son, as if I were selling buttons at the door!"
Quote:
"I beg your pardon, I haven't asked for anything!"
"Yes, you have! Twice now. My pardon. I give it to you. In fact, I will go so far as to send you on this adventure. Very amusing for me, very good for you - and profitable too, very likely, if you ever get over it."
It should also be quite obvious that I immensely enjoy Gandalf's particular way with words. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ February 10, 2002: Message edited by: Bruce MacCulloch ]
Old 02-10-2002, 05:46 AM   #32
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Elven Maiden that one's beautiful [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
and my favourite quote...as soon as someone's worked out the mistranslation I'll tell you [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] but I love the Elvish songs
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 08:36 AM   #33
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My favorite poem is 'The road goes ever on and on' - the last version that bilbo sings at the end.

I wonder if we'll eventually have the entire book written out here?! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 10:56 AM   #34
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My favorite quote (it's longer than a line) is the one from my signature, (it's from the Silm, not The Lord of the Rings) but I like this one alot also:
Quote:
Lorien was slipping backward, like a bright ship masted with enchanted trees, sailing on to forgotten shores, while they sat helpless upon the margin of the grey and leafless world. Even as they gazed, the Silverlode passed out into the currents of the Great River, and their boats turned and began to speed southward. Soon the white form of the Lady was small and distant. She shone like a window of glass upon a far hill in the westering sun, or as a remote lake seen from a mountain: a crystal fallen in the lap of the land. Then it seemed to Frodo that she lifted her arms in a final farewell, and far but piercing-clear on the following wind came the sound of her voice singing. But now she sang in the ancient tongue of the Elves beyond the Sea, and he did not understand the words: fair was the music, but it did not comfort him.
I really love the Lorien chapters. The imagery and language is so beautiful, and it sets up the profound sadness and melancholy that persists throughout the rest of the book.

[ February 10, 2002: Message edited by: Thingol ]
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 01:18 PM   #35
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

"Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes"

That's the best quote ever!!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 03:47 PM   #36
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Silmaril

Ah, Thingol! Another soul that has been moved by the Lorien chapters! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2002, 04:57 PM   #37
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Thingol, your quote is from LotR, I just looked it up. It's in "Farewell to Lorien" in FotR. Yes, that was a beautiful quote and Lorien was a beautiful place. But this one struck me more, somehow:
Quote:
"But in front a thin wall of water was hung...The level shafts of the setting sun behind beat upon it, and the red light was broken into many flickering beams of ever changing colour. It was as if they stood at the window of some elven-tower, curtained with threaded jewels of silver and gold, and ruby, sapphire and amethyst, all kindled with an unconsuming fire." ~"The Window on the West", TTT
Old 02-10-2002, 06:00 PM   #38
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The quote that I was said was my favorite is the one that is in my signature. Its from the end of the Silm. Yet the lies that Melkor...

[ February 10, 2002: Message edited by: Thingol ]
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 08:41 PM   #39
Daegwenn
Haunting Spirit

Daegwenn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"...they say you breathe so loud they could shoot you in the dark."

~Legolas
In the Fellowship of the Ring when the go to Lothlórien.

and the all time favourite:

"Eavesdropping sir? I don't followe you, begging your pardon. There ain't no eaves at Bag end and that's a fact."

~Samwise Gamgee
The Fellowship of the Ring when Sam gets busted for listening in on Frodo's and Gandalf's conversation about the one ring.
A highwayman comes riding—
Riding—Riding—
A highwayman comes riding, up to the old inn-door.

Over the cobbles he clatters and clangs in the dark inn-yard.
And he taps with his whip on the shutters, but all is locked and barred.
He whistles a tune to the window, and who should be waiting there
But the landlord’s black-eyed daughter,
Bess, the landlord’s daughter,
Plaiting a dark red love-knot into her long black hair"
Highwayman
Alfred Noyes
Daegwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 09:41 PM   #40
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

"Hinder me? THou fool. No living man may hinder me!" (here it comes) "No living man am I! You look upon a woman!" (Eowyn to the Nazgul)

"Mourn not overmuch! Mighty was the fallen;
Meet was his ending. War now calls us!"
Yet he himself wept as he spoke. (Eomer at Theoden's side)

"Theoden King, Theoden King! Like a father you were to me, for a little while. Farewell!" (Merry)

"I said I'd carry him, and I will." --Sam

"I'll crawl, Sam." --Frodo