The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-06-2003, 06:04 PM   #81
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

Theoden--<BR>Best: Fell deeds await. Now for wrath. Now for ruin. And the red dawn! Forth Eorlingas! (didn't that inspire hope and shivers into anyone? )<BR>Second Best (does that count for anything, Diamond?): Why should I welcome you, Gandalf Stormcrow? (I don't really like the line, but I loved the way that even before he finished speaking he turned to Wormtongue, kind of asking him if that was the right thing to say. Nice show of dependence on his "faithful" advisor)<P>Worst: I will not risk open war. (duh! By what the movie shows, half your country's people are homeless or slaughtered )
Old 01-06-2003, 06:12 PM   #82
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

BEST<BR>Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow. <P>WORST<BR>They will be three hundred leagues from here by now. Èomer cannot help us. I know what is that you want of me. But I would not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:27 PM   #83
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Best: <BR>-The thing he says when he puts on the armour, can't remember what it was.<BR>- (the name of the flower, can't spell it )Ever has it grown on the tombs of my fore bearers, now it shall grow on the tomb of my son.<BR>- So it begins (at helm's deep, I just thought it was cool)<BR>- No, my lord Argorn, We are alone.<BR>(I promise this is the last one)- Last I looked, Theodon not Aragorn was King of Rohan.<BR>Worst: <BR>- So much death...etc.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:52 PM   #84
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Shield

Ha! I'll bet you thought I'd never get around to counthing up Thédoen, didn't you? I know, I know... Anyway, here they are.<P>Best: "Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow; The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow." <P>And though it only got one vote, I'd like to give an honorable mention to: "Fell deeds await. Now for wrath. Now for ruin. And the red dawn! Forth Eorlingas!"<P>(Kudos, mortal elf, for remembering that. I loved it, but somehow forgot about it. D'oh!)<P>Worst: "So much death. What are men to do against such reckless hate?"<P>Okay, now this thread is going on an official hiatus. There are more characters to do, yes, but I'm becoming rather busy and I can't seem to keep it near the top. Look at it this way, when I bring it back, you'll all have seen the movie about three more times and can recite lines at the snap of a finger.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:33 PM   #85
The Flame Of Anor
Animated Skeleton

The Flame Of Anor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Best Line would have been Gandalf's Challenge to the Barlog if the entire line was in, but since it wasnt it would have to be line like "The Horn Of Helm will sound once more in the deep!" If anyone knows the actual line, let me know? Also, i loved the Last Alliance Referance "Letho en Phillen!"<P>Worst: "Fire!" Not sure here, but would the men say "fire" to fire a bow, or a pre-firearms thing like the elvish "Release Your Arrows"
Old 01-09-2003, 04:37 PM   #86
The Flame Of Anor
Animated Skeleton

The Flame Of Anor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Also, "So it begins" is cool, as its been said before nearly every huge battle scene ive seen! It was in the sci-fi show babylon 5, some japenese movie, and a bunch of others.
Old 01-19-2003, 05:19 PM   #87
the mortal elf
Wight

Tolkien

Are you less busy now, Diamond? I really love this thread, and I had to rescue it from the 3rd page!
Old 01-19-2003, 06:03 PM   #88
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I noticed that for Faramir's worst line "A chance for Faramir, Captin of Gondor to show his quality." got the most votes.<P>Do you guys relize that that is an exact quote from the books? Of all lines that didn't seem like the worst since it was Tolkien's own words.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:45 PM   #89
Nostie
Pile O'Bones

Nostie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Nostie
Sting

Faramir's worst line "A chance for Faramir, Captain of Gondor to show his quality." <P>I dunno if I'm wrong, but when reading the book I kinda felt he was being sarcastic. Faramir wasn't going to take the ring. But in the movie, he said it, and he really took the ring. That's why it sounds so bad
Nostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 09:03 PM   #90
Calenamarthiel
Pile O'Bones

Calenamarthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Definitely PO-TA-TOES! <BR>Also "His gardener."<BR>I love those lines because they were so short, but they managed to convey Sam as Tolkien described him to the movie audience very effectively.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:27 PM   #91
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

Okay. <P>Rose, the quote was from the book, but don't you think it's meaning was rather twisted? That makes it worse, perhaps, than any new line created for Faramir. I voted for "The Ring is going to Gondor" however.<P>So...the next character:<P><B>Gandalf the White</B><P>Best: <BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>"Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth! I have not passed through fire and death to bandy wicked words with a witless worm!"<BR><LI> "Three hundred men's lives I have walked this earth and now I have no time."<BR></UL><P>Worst:<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> "I release you."<BR><LI> "You did not kill me, you will not kill him."<BR></UL>
Old 01-20-2003, 06:06 AM   #92
Rosemary Took

Sting

Best:<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE>I return to you now, at the turn of the tide</UL><LI>Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth! I have not passed through fire and death to bandy wicked words with a witless worm![/LIST]<BR>Worst<LI>Gandalf? Yes thats what they used to call me...Gandalf the Grey. I am Gandalf the White<P>[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: Rosemary Took ]<p>[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: Rosemary Took ]
Old 01-20-2003, 06:29 PM   #93
the mortal elf
Wight

Tolkien

Thanks Diamond!<P>Gandalf:<P>Best-The Battle for Helm's Deep is over. The Battle for Middle Earth is about to begin.<P>Worst-I honestly can't think of one I didn't like, but I suppose "I release you from this spell" wasn't very good...
Old 01-20-2003, 07:29 PM   #94
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Gandalf's Best was:<P> - "Hmm? Oh. No, you would not part an old man from his walking stick."<BR> - "Silence! Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I have not come here to bandy words with a witless worm."<BR> - "Look to my coming. At first light of the fifth day at dawn, look to the East."<P><BR>Gandalf's Worst was:<P> - "This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash. All the ... You must fight."<P>That's really all his noticeable lines minus the ones spoken in Fangorn Forest I believe.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:18 PM   #95
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that Gandalf's best line in TTT was when he says to Aragorn, "I come to you now at the turn of the tide."
Hirilaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 09:27 PM   #96
Calenamarthiel
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Best Line: I think that you and I finally understand each other, Frodo Baggins. <P>Worst Line: Two halflings, a company of men under my command, and the ring of power within my reach. A chance for Faramir, captain of Gondor, to show his quality. <P>That line was very unlike Faramir that his character was completely skewed by that line.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:31 PM   #97
Calenamarthiel
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Oops! I'm sorry, I wasn't able to read through to the end, so I thought we were still on Faramir. Gandalf's best line for me was: The gray pilgrim, that's what they used to call me. Three hundred lives of men I wandered this earth, and now I do not have the time. I can't think of a worst line for Gandalf just yet. Another good line would be: Gandalf? Yes, that was my name. Gandalf the Grey. That is what they used to call me. I am Gandalf the White. It shows his complete transformation very effectively.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:17 PM   #98
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

Results for Gandalf:<P>Best:<BR>"Silence! Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm!"<P>Worst: "I will release you from the spell."<P>Now let's do <B>Gríma "Wormtongue"</B><P>My vote:<P>Best:<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> "Oh, but you are alone. Who knows what you have spoken to the darkness, the bitter watches of the night. When all your life seems to shrink. The walls of your bower closing in about you. So fair, so cold, like a morning pale spring still clinging to winter's chill."<BR><LI> "Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear. Lathspell I name him. Ill news is an ill guest."<BR></UL><P>Worst: "But, my lord, there is no such force." <I>How could he be so clueless?</I>
Old 01-24-2003, 02:49 PM   #99
Orodoliel
Haunting Spirit

Orodoliel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Grima<P>Best Line-<BR>A just question, my liege. <P>Worst Line-<BR>But, my lord, there is no such force. <P>Like you say Diamond, how couldn't he have known?
Old 01-24-2003, 06:49 PM   #100
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

GRIMA ~<P>*Best*<BR> - "A just question my lord. Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear. Lathspell spell I name him. Ill news is an ill guest."<BR> - "Oh, but you are alone. Who knows what you have spoken to the darkness, the bitter watches of the night. When all your life seems to shrink. The walls of your bower closing in about you. So fair, so cold, like a morning pale spring still clinging to winter's chill."<P>*Worst*<BR> - "Your staff ... I told you take the wizard's staff"<P><BR>***I'm not going to vote on this line but I thought when he said "Even if it is breached, it would take a number beyond reckoning, thousands to storm the keep ... But, my lord, there is no such force." Was one of his better lines. Even if it seemed odd that he was so clueless ... the whole idea of Saruman *making* the force that could not exist was amazing even to his servant. Yea ... I thought it was cool.***
Old 01-27-2003, 12:02 AM   #101
Calenamarthiel
Pile O'Bones

Sting

FOR GRIMA:<P>Best Line: "A just question, my liege. Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear. Lathspell I name you. Ill news is an ill guest."<P>Worst Line: "The staff! I told you to take the wizard's staff."
Old 01-27-2003, 12:13 AM   #102
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Best: <BR>-I have only ever served you my lord<BR>-Late is the hour in which this conjourer chooses to appear. Lathspell I name you Ill news is an Ill guest<P>Worst:<BR>-Oh, he must have died some time in the night (It made me laugh when I heard that, they why he says it, as if it weren't anything at all)<BR>- I told you to take the wizards staff
Old 01-28-2003, 11:22 AM   #103
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Airehiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Best:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Oh, but you are alone. Who knows what you have spoken to the darkness, the bitter watches of the night. When all your life seems to shrink. The walls of your bower closing in about you. So fair, so cold, like a morning pale spring still clinging to winter's chill. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>also: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> A just question, my liege. <BR>Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear. Lathspell spell I name him. Ill news is an ill guest. <BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I can think of no worst lines, unless it would be:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Theoden will not stay at Edoras. It is vulnerable. He knows this. He will expect an attack on the city. They will flee to Helm's Deep, the great fortress of Rohan. It is a dangerous road to take through the mountains. It will be slow. They will have women and children with them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Simply because he is giving away their secret, and mentioning women and children which only intrigued Saruman more.<p>[ January 28, 2003: Message edited by: Airehiriel ]
Old 01-28-2003, 12:33 PM   #104
Celebmundoiel
Animated Skeleton

Celebmundoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the best line is when Legolas says to Gimili "Do you want me to discribe to you whats happing or would you like me to find you a box" something like that. but by far the funniest.
Roaming in the night through the shadows. You cannot hear me, you cannot see me. I am as agile as a cat. As I run I am low to the ground. I climb trees in a second and run on the branches as if they were the earth’s surface. My appearance is deceitful, I can take life as well as spare. I am Celebmundoiel.
Celebmundoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 08:13 AM   #105
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Here Goes<P>"Oh, but you are alone. Who knows what you have spoken to the darkness, the bitter watches of the night. When all your life seem to shrink. The walls of you bower closing in about you. So fair, so cold, like a morning of pale spring still clinging to winter's chill." <P>MAN that's good! That may be one of the best in the move, right up next to "His Gardner". It was here when I tought to myself, "he may be a revolting traitor but he's got the market cornered on eloquence."<P>hmmmm wrst line? let me think......<P>"Ill news is an ill guest" That's bad because they took a good line from the book "Lathspell I name you, ill-news, and ill news is an ill guest they say" and butchered it to make it sound like one of Ioreth's rambling sensless proverbs.<P>"The Staff! I told you to take the wiard' staff! Yet another butchered book line that was perfectly good left alone.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:22 PM   #106
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

Well...I was waiting for mortal elf to take a turn, but time keeps on slippin' slippin' slippin' into the future, sooo...<P>Results for Gríma:<P>Best: "A just question, my liege. Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear. Lathspell I name him. Ill news is an ill guest."<P>Worst: "I told you to take the wizard's staff!"<P>It's so fun choosing new characters... <P>Let's do <B>Frodo Baggins</B><P>My assorted collection of loose change and other oddments:<P>Best:<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>"This is Sting. You've seen it before, haven't you, <I>Gollum?</I> Release him or I'll cut your throat!"<BR><LI>"You will lead us to the Black Gate."<BR><LI>"I do not ask you to come with me, Sam."<BR><LI>"You left out one of the chief characters. Samwise the Brave. I want to hear more about Sam. Frodo wouldn’t have got far without Sam."<BR></UL><P>Worst:<BR>Okay, pick away all you like. I'm sure you'll come up with a'plenty, but I liked his lines, even the bad ones. (Or maybe I just feel reeeaaally lazy right now.)<p>[ February 02, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 02-03-2003, 07:05 PM   #107
leigh1

Sting

Frodo's best is definitely:<P>"You left out one of the chief characters. Samwise the Brave. I want to hear more about Sam. Frodo wouldn’t have got far without Sam."
Old 02-05-2003, 09:02 PM   #108
Calenamarthiel
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Best: "The ring will not save Gondor. It has only the power to destroy. Please, let me go." Also, "This is Sting. You've seen it before, haven't you, Gollum? Release him, or I'll cut your throat." I like this line because it shows a strong Frodo who's more like the book Frodo, instead of the weak Frodo who's seen too much during the movie. And also, "You've left out one of the chief characters: Samwise the Brave. Frodo wouldn't have gotten far without Sam."<BR>I honestly can't think of any worst lines right now.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:16 PM   #109
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

<B>Frodo's Best Lines:</B><BR>- "The Ring will not save Gondor. It has only the power to destroy. Please, let me go ... Faramir, you must let me go!"<BR>- "You left out one of the cheif characters. Samwise the Brave. I want to hear more about Sam. Frodo wouldn’t have got far without Sam ... (then after Sams says he was being serious Frodo says ...) So was I."<P><B>Frodo's Worst Line(s):</B><BR>- "They’re here. They’ve come." (spoooky line)<BR>- " ... I'm sorry Sam. I don't know why I said that." -- The reason I don't like this line is because Sam was being v cruel to Smeagol, and Frodo should have stood firm with what he said to defend Smeagol. Sam may have disliked Smeagol's company in the book, but I thought that the character in the movie was just completely close-minded and heartless towards our little Smeagol. Maybe I just didn't focus on it in the book.<P><BR>**As a humble request, Diamond, could we do Eomer next perhaps? Pretty please?**
Old 02-05-2003, 09:33 PM   #110
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

With brown sugar on it?
Old 02-06-2003, 09:37 AM   #111
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Grimbold has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

King Theoden: "No father should have to bury his own son." I know a family whose young boy James Birrell was a victim of a rare cancer called neuroblastoma. James loved LOTR and his family likened him to Frodo carrying his burden through Mordor. Alliance Atlantis organized an advance screening of the Fellowship of the Ring so James could see the movie before he died, and the money raised went to the James Birrell research fund for neuroblastoma. This year we continued the advance screenings with The Two Towers, so it must have been quite a moment for the Birrell family when King Theoden said that. Very true. We're continuing the fund-raising next year with The Return of the King. <P>Other favourite line: King Theoden recites the verses when he is having his armour fitted onto him. "It shall pass like rain on the mountains...like wind in the meadows."
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow.
How did it come to this?
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 09:49 AM   #112
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Airehiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Best: - "You left out one of the chief characters. Samwise the Brave. I want to hear more about Sam. Frodo wouldn’t have got far without Sam."<P>Worst: - "They're here."<p>[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: Airehiriel ]
Old 02-08-2003, 01:51 AM   #113
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

White-Hand

Four replies for the Ringbearer? (Plus one more for Theoden! ). Come now, come now, we can do better. This is <I>THE</I> Frodo Baggins we're talking about, not some Blockheaded Bracegirdle from Hardbottle.
Old 02-08-2003, 06:14 AM   #114
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

heh heh Diamond so here goes<BR>Best: <BR>-"Faramir, you MUST let me go!"<BR>-"You've left out one of the chief characters, Samwise the Brave, I want to hear more about Sam. Frodo wouldn't have gotten far without Sam...(After Sam's reply) So was I."<BR>-"Nothing, just a dream" (I liked that because it was his first line in the movie, and it was a cool intro)<P>Worst:<BR>-"You will lead us to the black gate" (was it just me or did his accent sound real funny here?)<BR>-"Come Smeagol, nice Smeagol, listen to master... (it sounded like Smeagol was really stupid or something, which I think he isn't )
Old 02-10-2003, 12:16 PM   #115
Calliope and Linus S. Underhill.
Pile O'Bones

Calliope and Linus S. Underhill. has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Best: Pretty much everything from the movie. my all time favourite quote is "How abominable!" Which they didn't put in the movie. What an abominable notion!<P>Worst:<BR>I can't do this, Sam. (that line is an abomination!!!!!!! Revolt against PJ! Joking about that one too... but the line was in bad taste and was very un-Frodo-like)
Old 02-10-2003, 05:12 PM   #116
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For Theoden:<P><B>Best:</B> Let them come!<BR>That really showed how fearless and unafraid (if pointless) the people of Rohan were in fighting.<P><B>Worst:</B> When he was arguing with Aragorn. I have only seen TT once so I may be wrong, but he was being a real orc there, if my memory serves me right.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 10:26 PM   #117
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

White-Hand

Ahh! Théoden from pg. 2! Hide!!! <P>Seriously, actually, make sure you check what page you're on before you post. Good ol' King Théo has been getting a lot of votes and it's Frodo's turn.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:54 PM   #118
Shizuku

Sting

Frodo's best line: this is Sting, you've seen it before.<P>Frodo's worst line: all the lines that Frodo delivered as a much weaker, less confident character than in the book.<P>And, please let me add this about Theoden! The horse and rider lines are great - probably because they're taken directly out of the book where they are actually ARAGORN'S lines. Theoden's worst line, and I'm sorry for sounding callous, but "A father should never have to bury his own son." Cliche cliche cliche, ripped out of some sentimental article in Reader's Digest. Tolkien would never have indulged it.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:32 PM   #119
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Firondoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I was a big fan of Firondoiel's thread for FotR, so I thought I'd start one for TTT. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm flattered Diamond!!! Didn't know anyone enjoyed it that much!!! I missed Legolas and Gollum. But I made it for Frodo!!! <P>Best: You've left out one of the chief characters. Samwise the brave, I want to hear more about him. Frodo wouldn't have got far with out Sam.<P>2. Maybe he does deserve to die. Now that I've seen him, I do pity him.<P>Worst: I can't do this Sam. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Best: Fell deeds await. Now for wrath. Now for ruin. And the red dawn! Forth Eorlingas! (didn't that inspire hope and shivers into anyone? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh yeah mortal elf!!!! That line was the greatest!!! It makes me shiver when I just think about it!!!!!!
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Firondoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 01:10 AM   #120
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

I'm sure I'm not the only one who enjoyed it, when you get to 4 pages you're doing something right. <P>So, back to the present. Results for Frodo:<P>Best: "You left out one of the chief characters. Samwise the Brave. I want to hear more about Sam. Frodo wouldn’t have got far without Sam."<P>Hehe, a bunch of Sam fans, you are! I love that Sting line though...<P>Worst: It's a tie between,<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> "They're here. They've come."<BR><LI> "I can't do this, Sam.<BR></UL><P>Okay, a little birdy told me to do <B>Éomer Son of Éomund</B> next, so we shall. I'll rustle up my votes in a different post.