The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-22-2003, 07:46 PM   #641
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Strider gave Arwen & I the silent treatment for two whole days. It took a bit of cajoling on our part, but we finally got him to smile yesterday, and he sang for us in the evening. During the night, we saw lights flashing in the eastern sky. It looked like lightning, but there were no clouds...very strange. We camped by a small stream today, and Strider caught several fish for our dinner. He's so handy to have around, I think we'll keep him.

--------------------

At the day's end they came to a stream that wandered down from the hills to lose itself in the stagnant marshland, and they went up along its banks while the light lasted. It was already night when at last they halted and made their camp under some stunted alder-trees by the shores of the stream. Ahead there loomed now against the dusky sky the bleak and treeless backs of the hills. That night they set a watch, and Strider, it seemed, did not sleep at all. The moon was waxing, and in the early night-hours a cold grey light lay on the land.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:22 PM   #642
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Alright, Esty, I know this is late, but I'd like to protest your mention of a "comparable Tolkien forum" on the grounds that there isn't one currently in existence. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

As for walking, I finally took my leave of Tom and Goldberry (and my eardrums are grateful for the rest, I've been with them for far too long!) and have made my merry way up to the Barrow-Downs.

The X Phial will be absolutely delighted to hear that on my arrival there, I promptly rescued four of those strange and rare creatures called "Poophobbits" from an attacking Barrow-Wight. I was wearing yellow rubber boots, and I think the mean creature mistook me for Bombadil, standing there atop his barrow...

So, with the Barrow-Downs safely behind me I'm turning toward the road, and hope to be arriving in Bree within the next few weeks. However unlikely that may be, I will continue to hold out hope [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img].

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 08:47 PM   #643
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Poophobbits? Alrighty then... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I finally am on the eastern edge of Chetwood with the hobbits. There was a terrific thunderstorm last night, and I awoke in the middle of the night to an extremely loud bang of thunder which sent all of us scrambling to each other's beds. We sat huddled together until the rain stopped. Yes, we are wusses. Another thunderstorm happened late today, but up until then it was a gorgeous day. We had to cross a stream that was quite deep, but luckily we had ropes. I am hoping to make it to the Marshes within the next week if we stop slacking off.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 11:47 AM   #644
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
Question

5 1/2 miles. Will I ever make it? [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

I am at... still in the Shire...

*cheers everyone else on*
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 08:49 PM   #645
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Thanks to a short vacation (walking holiday) this elf has made up some lost ground.

82 miles and I finally made it to The Old Forest.

Part of my vacation was spent exploring several different caverns and after all the time spent walking underground I felt like I was in Moria. Thankfully I didn't run into any orcs, cave trolls or balrogs!
Old 06-23-2003, 09:21 PM   #646
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Silmaril

Quote:
Today I made a HUUUUGE sacrifice for my walk. Frodo only went on a dangerous quest to the very fires of Mount Doom. I missed 15 minutes of Neighbours. (Heehee- that's going to mean nothing to most of you!)
Lyra: I know you posted this about 3 weeks ago but I just read it (I was re-reading the posts on the old thread). When you say "Neighbors", do you mean the 70's TV show with Richard Briers & Felicity Kendal? PBS will periodically broadcast it in the USA as "Good Neighbors". I love that show!!

I'd like to have stayed by the stream for one more day, but Strider said we should move on. He feels the Black Riders might be somewhere in the vicinity. We saw some birds away off in the distance earlier today, and he made Arwen and I lie under some bushes until they were out of sight.

--------------------

Next morning they set out again soon after sunrise. There was a frost in the air, and the sky was a pale clear blue. The hobbits felt refreshed, as if they had had a night of unbroken sleep. Already they were getting used to much walking on short commons--shorter at any rate than what in the Shire they would have thought barely enough to keep them on their legs. Pippin declared that Frodo was looking twice the hobbit that he had been.

"Very odd," said Frodo, tightening his belt, "considering that there is actually a good deal less of me. I hope the thinning process will not go on indefinitely, or I shall become a wraith."

"Do not speak of such things!" said Strider quickly, and with surprising earnestness.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:28 PM   #647
Dūrlossiel
Haunting Spirit

Dūrlossiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've signed up on the WtR site, but I can't figure out how to see the shields. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Could someone post a link to that page or at least tell me how many shields I have (look for "aimforJesus"), please?

Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend; inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
Dūrlossiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 12:39 AM   #648
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Dūrlossiel, it always takes some time for the whole page to load, so you may have to wait a minute till it's complete. Then scroll down to see the shields. You currently have four shields and are listed with a mileage of 105. I was wondering who "aimforJesus" was, since it's not a nick that I know from the forum. Nice to have you walking for the Downs!

As of this morning, I counted 21 people with black shields! (And at least one that I know of who's registered and working on his first shield.)

The site's artist has not yet drawn a symbol for the Downs on the house contest page. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Have any of you entered slogans in the second house contest? We get points for entries, even if we don't win the contest, so give it a try - today is the last day! (Yes, I practice what I preach - my motto has been submitted.) After that, the mottos will be displayed anonymously - well, read for yourself, the information is here. Don't forget to vote then!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 09:20 AM   #649
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

We have started to walk faster, because Aragorn says the Black Riders are near. We had fish for dinner last night, and fish for breakfast this morning. And if I ever get back to the Shire, I never want to see a fish again!
I have walked 235 miles.
I have passed a small stream coming down from the Weather Hills (228).
It is 11 miles to the next landmark.
I still have 223 miles to Rivendell.

The hills drew nearer. They made an undulating ridge, often rising almost to a thousand feet, and here and there falling again to low clefts or passes leading into the eastern land beyond. Along the crest of the ridge the hobbits could see what looked to be the remains of green-grown walls and dikes, and in the clefts there still stood the ruins of old works of stone. By night they had reached the feet of the westward slopes, and there they camped. It was the night of the fifth of October, and they were six days out from Bree.
Just for fun, I went to count all of the walkers for the B-D. We have 21 walkers, with a total of 158 shields! Go B-D!!!!

[ June 24, 2003: Message edited by: ArwenBaggins ]
ArwenBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 09:33 AM   #650
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

peony_foxburr has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peony_foxburr
Sting

The travelers now walked among boulders over somewhat stony ground, and the wind had turned chill. Peony's mind went back to the Shire on a lovely warm day in June, early in the morning before the heat became oppressive, and a walk she had taken from home to the village...the soft humid air carried the scent of roses...

Oof! she tripped over a rock and went sprawling, and Frodo tripped over her (but he fell down a lot, she'd noticed) and landed alongside. Luckily, the worst injury they suffered were slightly scraped hands.
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
peony_foxburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 09:37 AM   #651
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Yes! 21, there are!

I've been walking a whole lot since I started teacher training. My mom wanted me to take the bus to keep me from stress, but I ended up all stresses up because the bus leaves an hour after I get out. So I walk, which is roughly half a mile---a mile including the steps going down two floors of the building all the way to the jeepney stop.

sight: overcast weather. Though I have this fading phobia of clouds, the weather is generally intimidating me. The trees are very gorgeous: acacia and duhat. The latter is my new fave fruit.

sound: my squeeking boots, crickets, the wind, construction.

taste: nothing much.

touch: the coins in my hand ready for the next jeepney ride. Nearly used my umbrella as a walking stick...and since "feel" is almost like "touch," I feel my feet are expanding to the Hobbit size...don't know how I should react to the forces of nature...or of genetics, perhaps?

smell: nothing but fresh air, baby!

p.s. I noticed in my profile that I had another person vote for me. I've had a constant number of votes in quite a while, and seeing an addition is a real warm and pleasant surprise. Whoever your are, thank you vey much and God bless!
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 10:06 AM   #652
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Last night I did four miles with my friends as we walked about waiting for people to go away from the school so we could climb onto the roof. We eventually did it, and then we almost got caught by one guy. In doing so, we had to crawl army-style back to our hiding spot. To add to our uncomfortableness, the roof was extremely rough and scrapy and it had rained HARD the previous night and the night before that. So by the time we got to our hiding spot, we looked like we had gone wading. Lovely.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yesterday we walked 6 miles! I congratulated us all on a job well done. The last time we walked that much was when we got out of Bree, and that was for fear of the Black Riders. We are now approximately three miles from the Midgewater Marshes, and we are all dreading the crossing. But maybe I'll rub sugar water on the others while they're sleeping so I won't be bothered as much. Heh heh heh...
Old 06-24-2003, 02:26 PM   #653
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

1 and a 1/2 away from the Barrow-Downs! I can say goodbye to Tom, that is until he has to come rescue me and my walking companions from the Barrow-Wight. Oh, never mind. I forgot we were all friends of the Barrow-Wight. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Goodbye forever, Mr. Bombadil. I don't need your help in the Barrow-Downs because, surprise, surprise, my home is there! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] Muh ha ha ha ha ha!

On a side note, I will be going through this thread and updating the mileage list, which I will then send to Estelyn, who will try to get it into Helen's post, but I will only update mileage if it is in your From: spot. Otherwise I would have to read through the posts and try to estimate where you are, and I can't spend the time doing that. If there is anyone who doesn't have their mileage in their From:, please go change that now if you would like your updated mileage to be correctly displayed in the list.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2003, 11:24 PM   #654
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

The hills are slowly getting closer...only 20 more miles to Weathertop. We saw no birds today, or any other animal for that matter. It's been almost eerily quiet. We had cram for dinner as we had no more fish, and Strider was unable to shoot any rabbits (or other critters). He says the Rangers sometimes store food and firewood in one of the dells by Weathertop. I sure hope so.

--------------------

The hills drew nearer. They made an undulating ridge, often rising almost to a thousand feet, and here and there falling again to low clefts or passes leading into the eastern land beyond. Along the crest of the ridge the hobbits could see what looked to be the remains of green-grown walls and dikes, and in the clefts there still stood the ruins of old works of stone.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:59 PM   #655
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Btw did we get to find out - has Mark 12_30 left us?
Old 06-25-2003, 02:12 PM   #656
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Mark12_30 is taking a break but has sent her love to all; she misses us!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 06-25-2003, 02:34 PM   #657
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Eye

Well, I thought I had hated fish, but now I wish I had it again. We had mushy stuff for our meals yesterday, and again today, with the addition of a few tart berries that Alatįriėl found.
We have walked 239 miles.
We have passed a small stream coming down from the Weather Hills (228).
We are only 7 miles from the Weather Hills.
We still have 219 miles to Rivendell.
The hills drew nearer. They made an undulating ridge, often rising almost to a thousand feet, and here and there falling again to low clefts or passes leading into the eastern land beyond. Along the crest of the ridge the hobbits could see what looked to be the remains of green-grown walls and dikes, and in the clefts there still stood the ruins of old works of stone. By night they had reached the feet of the westward slopes, and there they camped. It was the night of the fifth of October, and they were six days out from Bree.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:25 PM   #658
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Weathertop loomed ahead--only five miles distant now. It made Peony feel uneasy, wondering who (or what) might be watching them from the height--or who might see them, when they had ascended it. She would rather die than admit it to the other hobbits, but she wondered to herself if insisting on tagging after them had been wise after all.

[ June 25, 2003: Message edited by: peony_foxburr ]
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
Old 06-25-2003, 09:31 PM   #659
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Helen: If you're lurking...we miss you! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Hurry back!

Cram yesterday, cram today, and blimey, if it don't look like cram again tomorrow. Strider says it'll be sparse rations till we get to Weathertop. Still no sign of any birds or other animals. The terrain is getting more rugged the closer we get to those hills...and I'm pretty sure Strider is taking most roundabout and rocky path possible.

--------------------

The hobbits looked anxiously at the distant hills. Sam looked up into the pale sky, fearing to see hawks or eagles hover over them with bright unfriendly eyes. "You do make me feel uncomfortable and lonesome, Strider!" he said.

"What do you advise us to do?" asked Frodo.

"I think," answered Strider slowly, as if he was not quite sure, "I think the best thing is to go as straight eastward from here as we can, to make for the line of hills, not for Weathertop. There we can strike a path I know that runs at their feet; it will bring us to Weathertop from the north and less openly. Then we shall see what we shall see."
Old 06-26-2003, 12:28 AM   #660
Tefalathiel
Pile O'Bones

Tefalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Alas, I'm falling behind. All because my exams. Well, an elfmaiden has to do what an elfmaiden has to do : study for two more weeks and then 24/7 jug for two months!
By the way, my hometown is aprox. 300 km away from the town I study in. Would buing a bike and tying me behind the bus with a rope do the trick? I may never again reach home, but I'll surely reach Rivendell! Isn't it worth the sacrifice? I'll be the first who gave her life for our quest! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ June 26, 2003: Message edited by: Tefalathiel ]
Old 06-26-2003, 09:05 AM   #661
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am falling behind a little myself...
Oh well, I am sure I will do better soon. I just haven“t had much time lately, planning characters for role-plays in the woods and making clothes.
Being on a festival, can I count the miles I am walking between the camping area and the festival area several times a day? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 09:33 AM   #662
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

*Looks up sheepishly* Yeah...I'm slacking off too. I know I said I would get my act together, but...oh so lazy! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2003, 01:03 PM   #663
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Eye

I do believe that Strider is taking the most rocky and sparsely-populated by animals road that he can find, just because he likes hearing us whine.
We have walked 243 miles.
We have passed a small stream coming down from the Weather Hills (228).
We are only 3 miles from the Weather Hills.
We are still 15 miles from Weathertop.
We still have 215 miles to Rivendell.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:51 PM   #664
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

I was right...cram again! And all this rugged terrain is causing my blister to act up again. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I think this must be one of Saruman's evil tricks. When we get to Weathertop, I'll have to send Strider out to find some athelas.

--------------------

By night they had reached the feet of the westward slopes, and there they camped. It was the night of the fifth of October, and they were six days out from Bree.

In the morning they found, for the first time since they had left the Chetwood, a track plain to see. They turned right and followed it southwards. It ran cunningly, taking a line that seemed chosen so as to keep as much hidden as possible from the view, both of the hill-tops above and of the flats to the west.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:40 PM   #665
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have found that if you do hear a "hidden bird" with an eerie cry, like a rusty hinge or a bad note on a cello, don't be alarmed, it is only a pheasant calling you to supper!

I have finally taken my four legged friend with me for 4 miles. She kept up such a brisk pace that I did feel rather like the hobbits must have felt keeping up with "Strider"! But since she is a she and 4 legged I have dubbed her Trotter, since Tolkien chose to discard the name.

[ June 27, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 08:52 PM   #666
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I congratulated us all on another good day of walking. We managed to plod eight miles through the slop of the Midgewater Marshes. The sugar water did the trick, although now I feel terrible for doing that. Luckily, Sam and Frodo found that rubbing mud on our skin helped to discourage the Neekerbreekers, so now we all look like anthills sitting here on the ground. We shall have a good bath in the nearest source of water once we get out of these Marshes!

[ June 27, 2003: Message edited by: Horse-Maiden of the Shire ]
Old 06-27-2003, 11:16 PM   #667
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

The temperature has cooled off a bit since we got close to the Hills. We might have to break out the blankets tonight, as Strider doesn't want to light a fire in case the Black Riders are lurking in the vicinity. Great...cram again and no fire!

--------------------

It dived into dells, and hugged steep banks; and where it passed over flatter and more open ground on either side of it there were lines of large boulders and hewn stones that screened the travellers almost like a hedge.

"I wonder who made this path, and what for," said Merry, as they walked along one of these avenues, where the stones were unusually large and closely set. "I am not sure that I like it: it has a--well, rather a barrow-wightish look. Is there any barrow on Weathertop?"

"No. There is no barrow on Weathertop, nor on any of these hills," answered Strider. "The Men of the West did not live here; though in their latter days they defended the hills for a while against the evil that came out of Angmar. This path was made to serve the forts along the walls.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:53 AM   #668
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Eye

It was very cool last night, now that we are within five miles of Weathertop. We heard odd screeching early this morning, so Strider advised us we leave earlier than planed. No fire, no good food, and no sleep!
We have walked 253 miles.
We have passed the Weather Hills (246).
We are only 5 miles from the ancient fortress of Weathertop.
We still have 205 miles to Rivendell.
In the morning they found, for the first time since they had left the Chetwood, a track plain to see. They turned right and followed it southwards. It ran cunningly, taking a line that seemed chosen so as to keep as much hidden as possible from the view, both of the hill-tops above and of the flats to the west. It dived into dells, and hugged steep banks; and where it passed over flatter and more open ground on either side of it there were lines of large boulders and hewn stones that screened the travellers almost like a hedge.
Old 06-28-2003, 12:07 PM   #669
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have had word from Raefindel that she has tarried to help someone in need, but wishes me to say “hi” to everyone for her. We will save you a seat at the feast in Rivendell come December Rae!

[ June 28, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 04:10 PM   #670
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Peony's misgivings were temporarily forgotten in the thrill of finally reaching the ancient fortress of Weathertop. She stood looking first to the south and the Great Road, next to the east and the distant snowy mountains, to the west where they had left behind the Shire, and to the north, where Sam had told her giant trees had been seen walking--but she saw only distant hills and moors.
-The Return of the King
Old 06-28-2003, 04:21 PM   #671
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Boots

I'm sorry to say that I started the "Walk To Rivendell," but never completed. I just kind of forgot. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2003, 05:05 PM   #672
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

It rained all day. Aleia and the hobbits were all cold, miserable, itchy, and covered in mud. They finally reached the eastern edge of the Marshes, but were all too tired to continue on. They might go a few more miles tonight, just to make some distance between them and the Neekerbreekers, but for now they are just wanting to rest.
Old 06-28-2003, 06:24 PM   #673
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I've reached the Barrow-Downs and I feel right at home! I've taken a two-day break here so I can gather myself together for a little over 300 more miles, and so I can stay here longer. Tom tried to rescue us, but alas (for him), he failed as he saw me in my true Wightish form. He was going to sing me away, and no doubt he would have succeeded, with his singing, but somehow he discovered who I was.... Hmm......

Robin was a little frightened of the Wights, but with one assisting her in her travels she felt fairly sure she would be safe. She's still a bit uneasy about camping here, but I don't think any of the other Wights would try to hurt her. Would you? There, see, Robin?
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

I have sent the updated mileage list to Esty. I apologize, but if your progress along the road was not in your From: space, I didn't bother to read through the posts to update it fully. Please, if if your progress is not in your From: space, please put it there so my job might be a bit easier.

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2003, 05:55 AM   #674
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

The motto entries are now posted on the Walk to Rivendell Motto Contest page. There are 23 entries; at least one of them is from the Barrow-Downs group, so we will be entitled to at least 25 points. The list is anonymous to ensure objectivity; please vote for your favorite as soon as you have decided which one you like best.

I am temporarily posting the mileage list (thanks a lot for all that work, Nurumaiel!) here until we can arrange to have it pasted into mark12_30's post on the first page of this thread. Here it is:

alaklondewen : 227
Alatariel : 252
Annunfuiniel : 144
Arvedui III : 136
Arafangwen : 153
ArwenBaggins : 253
Aylwen Dreamsong : ?
bain_edhel : 12
Bulelainwen : 108
Barrow Wight : 50
Durelin : 2
Durlossiel : 105
dragoneyes : 145
Eärendil : 105
Eruwen : 70
Estelyn Telcontar : 280
Faenaduial : 82
Firondoiel : 44
Gorwingel : 360
Hilde Bracegirdle : 325
Horsemaiden Of The Shire : 208
Ilsanie : 5.5
Joy : 14
Kalel : 32
Keowyn : 3?
Lalaith : 191
Lindolirian : 170
Linzielf : 291
LotrMaster02 : ?
Lyra Greenleaf : 229
Maiden of the Dry Waterfall : ?
mark12_30 : 305
Naz : ?
Neferchoiren : 143
Niluial : 264
Nurumaiel : 135
peony_foxburr : 253
Raefindel : 293
Ranger Jewel : 35?
red : 52.5
Rochelle : 59
Salix : 11
Schmendrick : 70
Sindafalathiel : 11
Sophia the Thunder Mistress : 137
SwordMaiden of Rohan : ?
Tar-Palantir : ?
Tarvasa : 43
Tefalathiel : 170
The Phantom: 28
The Real Findorfin : ?
Tigerlily Gamgee : 30
Tinuviel of Denton : 150
Tira O Alata : ?
Vanwalossien : 187
Vardamar : 314

Way to go, all!! Let's keep up the good work!
Old 06-29-2003, 10:42 AM   #675
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Excitement last night. Aleia was a little behind the hobbits when they passed two males riding ponies. One of them smiled and said "Hi." to Aleia as they trotted by. She smiled (dumbly, she thought) and said, "Hello." back. The rest of the walk until they rested was spent mentally kicking herself for not saying something more clever. It was foggy and gorgeous for walking last night, too!
Old 06-29-2003, 11:08 AM   #676
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

are you guys walking every day or just every now and then? and do you count for example if you walk to school and so on? or do you count only distances that you walk in "walking to rivendell" purpose?
Old 06-29-2003, 03:13 PM   #677
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Each person walks whatever way works best for that individual. Any walking you do can count, as long as you can measure the distance, approximately, at least. I walk daily and count my dog walks too; others count their sports activities, and some walk only occasionally. Biking, swimming or anything else you do with your own muscles can count as well. For more information, please read the original Walk to Rivendell thread. Unfortunately, I don't know where to find it at the moment - a search didn't reveal its current location. Does anyone know?
Old 06-29-2003, 03:59 PM   #678
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

Arafangwen has returned once more! And with more miles accompanying her once again. Entering Chetwood forest, Arafangwen began singing to herself wondering how far away everyone else was exactly when she spotted an abbandoned robbers den, it looked fun enough, so she had decided to explore it. Unfortunatly, the entrance caved in on her and she was forced to stay there for three days as she tunneled her way out. Glad to see the sun again, (or what she could of it through the trees anyways) Arafangwen began singing in her sweet elven voice as she walked further on down the road and on towards the edge of the forest trying to keep her eyes on the raod and stay out of more trouble.

Hi all! I'm Back!!!
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 06:21 PM   #679
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't know where to find it at the moment - a search didn't reveal its current location. Does anyone know?
The original Walk to Rivendell is on the 3rd page of Middle Earth Mirth, about 6 or 7 threads from the top.

We set up camp this afternoon in a sheltered dell just a mile north of Weathertop. Good news! We found some supplies stored there...firewood, a bit of food (some dried fruit & dried meat, not cram), and several leaves of athelas. At first Strider thought they had been left by a Ranger, but instead of boot prints there were hobbit footprints. Then we found several flat rocks stacked close by with an elvish "P" marked on the top with charcoal. Strider thinks Peony left them for us, and that she is only a day or two ahead. After dinner, I soaked my blister and Strider made a poltice from the athelas. It feels much better...thanks Peony!!

--------------------

..Amon Sūl they called it..It is told that Elendil stood there watching for the coming of Gil-galad out of the West, in the days of the Last Alliance.

.."Who was Gil-galad?" asked Merry; but Strider did not answer, and seemed to be lost in thought. Suddenly a low voice murmured:
  • Gil-galad was an Elven-king.
    Of him the harpers sadly sing:
    the last whose realm was fair and free
    between the Mountains and the Sea.

His sword was long, his lance was keen,
    his shining helm afar was seen;
    the countless stars of heaven's field
    were mirrored in his silver shield.

But long ago he rode away,
    and where he dwelleth none can say;
    for into darkness fell his star
    in Morder where the shadows are.

The others turned in amazement, for the voice was Sam's.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:46 AM   #680
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Everyone is zooming ahead, I feel I must hasten my pace, or you'll have drunk all the miruvor in Rivendell before I get there...
hope mark 12_30 is well, I see by the shieldpage on the Eowyn challenge that she's at 300 miles...