The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-30-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
Makar

Makar has just left Hobbiton.
Maps of Middle Earth

I recently came across a book that I had never heard of - "Journeys of Frodo: An Atlas of J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings by Barbara Strachey" (1981). I have owned for years now a copy of Karen Wynn Fonstand's "The Atlas of Middle Earth" and I have found it to be an indispensable tool. I was wondering if anyone owns or has heard of this atlas, and if so, how does it compare to Fonstand's book?
Makar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I love Journeys of Frodo! I think it's a lot better than the Karen Wynn Fonstad Atlas (not that this is bad, on the contrary, it's excellent). It follows the narrative so you can read it along with the text, though note it's based on the text as found in the first edition. My copy of Journeys is a first, but alas battered as I used it so much.

I'm fond of the simplicity of it with red and black inks only, and being a map nerd, am very fond indeed of the attention to contour lines and so forth. Many years back I'd make diagrams of what various gradients might look like based on said contours

For added astronomy nerdiness, you will also find moon cycles in there.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I have it too. I used to use it more than I do now. I wish it came in more handily for rpg's than it does. It's really quite informative as to relative locations, as well as the comparative timeline of the journey of Frodo & Sam vis-a-ví the adventures of Aragorn and the others. Each map page has a scale marker too, which can be useful. All in all, it's a volume done with great care and respect to the master. It is purely the work of a fan rather than a professional cartographer or artist, as the preface notes. Mine is a little beaten up too.

One great quote from the foreword written by Strachey herself is, "The evidence is - as one might expect - splendidly consistent. I have found only one or two difficult points which I have dealt with in the notes to the relevant maps."

The Contents page is invaluable, because the maps are at a wide variance of scales depending upon the scene depicted. Examples are:
  • Helm's Deep @ one mile per inch
  • The Argonath @ 2 1/2 miles per inch
  • Lorien @ 5 miles per inch
  • The Gates of Mordor @ 10 miles per inch
  • Weathertop and the Trollshaws @ 20 miles per inch
  • The Journey Home @ 100 miles per inch

One additional note is that Strachey plots more roads in the Shire than one finds on any Tolkien map; but most (not all) of them seem to make sense considering the locations of the villages.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 09-02-2007 at 08:49 AM.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote