The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-08-2002, 08:39 PM   #41
Nilwen
Haunting Spirit

Nilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am looking for "the Adventures of Tom Bombadil"
Old 10-09-2002, 02:50 AM   #42
Ar-Luman
Animated Skeleton

Ar-Luman has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I read the hobbit first when I was 12. Soon after came the LotR. I did not attempt the Silm. until I was 15. I actually read it straight through just recently. I am 22, so yeah I read the books before the movie came out. The coolest part is the way people react when they ask me any question about the movie, they get their answer and then some. They cannot believe how some people are so into the books.
Old 10-09-2002, 03:11 AM   #43
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I read the books a few years ago and what the film has given me is a great website!! let me explain, after reading the books i never thought about seaching for sites about lord of the rings but when the movie came out i was looking around and came upon barrow downs and i have never looked back!!!
Old 10-12-2002, 05:51 AM   #44
Nilwen
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

Did you know that "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil" is rare.I cant fined one in good shape for less than $100.00.Thats crazy.I am still going to get a copy thought.
Old 10-12-2002, 02:36 PM   #45
Anastasia
Haunting Spirit

Anastasia has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Anastasia
Thumbs up

Nilwen where do you live????!!!!!

I got a copy for my birthday from my friend and on the back cover it says £6.99

Its part of a book called "tales of the perilous realm" which contains

Farmer Giles of Ham,
The Adventures of T.B
Leaf by Niggle
Smith of Wooton Major

And they're all by tolkien!

As soon as I saw the movie I went home and sat down to read the books. It took me about half a term, and I'm reading them again now.

So just come to england and go to Books etc., they sell them there!
Old 10-12-2002, 03:50 PM   #46
Nilwen
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

I live in Texas.I was looking for the books on ebay.I didn't know they were all in Tales from the perilous realm.I will be looking for that now.Thank you.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:36 AM   #47
Maikaduriel

Sting

I didn't read LOTR until after I saw the movie, but the book had been in my house as long as I can remember. I had no idea what it was about and, when I saw the movie on a whim on opening day with my brother and my mum and we struggled to find three consecutive seats, I realised from the atmosphere in the cinema that this was a big thing and the anticipation some people had for this movie was incredible. I loved the movie, and of course, read the books immediately after, but I think I would have had a different opinion of them if I hadn't seen the movie first. I'm a newbie to this site and I'm amazed at how many people are in these forums, as I'm used to the one on my brother's site which probably has only 20-30 people, but it's great to find people who are as devoted to the books as I and don't think I'm an absolute weirdo when I say I've seen the movie 12 times. I think it's a good thing that so many people are reading the books now that the movie is out, because the Lord of the Rings is such an amazing book and I wouldn't have read it (at least, not yet) if it weren't for the movie.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:18 AM   #48
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, I tried reading the books when I was 10 but i couldnt get into it(i dont understand it either)but when I saw the movie i began to read it and got hooked! Im half way through RoTK again now and I have a shelf dedicated 2 the book movie ect plus the Hobbit and the Silmarllion(did i spell that right?Prob not)so yeah...
---------------------------------------------
Let he not vow to walk in the dark who has not seen the nightfallElrond the Halfelven in Rivendell
Old 10-20-2002, 04:21 AM   #49
Nilwen
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

I am now reading "The Book of Lost Tales". It is very interesting.It helps you understand alot of the history.It has commentary by Christopher Tolkien.It is kool.
Has any one read any books other than the ones we have already talk about?
Old 10-20-2002, 04:34 AM   #50
Laivine
Wight

Laivine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I read half the Fellowship of the Ring before I saw the movie. Hehe. I was a huge Harry Potter fan (still am for that matter) and after I read those books and saw the movie I didn't think there could be anything better and whenever people talked about LotR I stopped listening... But after awhile I just had to read LotR too, as everyone was talking about it. Got the first book for xmas, and got halway through it before me and a mate went to see it. I really wanted to read the book out before I saw the movie, so I even stayed up most of the night before to read it.. But failed! Hehe. To catch up for not reading LotR earlier, I've read FotR and TTT 5 times, and reading RotK for the 5th time now. Hoping to get Silmarillion and other books by Tolkien for my 15th birthday.

[ October 20, 2002: Message edited by: Laivine ]

[ October 20, 2002: Message edited by: Laivine ]
Old 10-21-2002, 09:35 AM   #51
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
White-Hand

I'm just starting "The Return of the King"...but I'm stalling now because finding out what happens to Sam and Frodo depresses me [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] The more I think about it, the sadder I get.

And I've been having these strange "spoiler dreams." Some fancy book version of deja vu. Those dreams come to me when I'm in the bus after reading 10 or so pages of LotR, or just before I wake up when I've been reading LotR the night before. They've stopped happening to me since I reached the middle of "The Two Towers."
creepy...
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote