The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-21-2004, 05:40 PM   #1
Thengal
Haunting Spirit

Thengal has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien C. S. Lewis and Treebread

In the TT extended version, they say that Treebeard might have been a representation of C.S. Lewis, Tolkien's pal. Also, the Dead Marshes are thought to be an image of the trenches of WWI. Are there any other character's or places that you think may represent people/places of Tolkien's era?
Thengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 07:15 PM   #2
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Sting

I heard somewhere that Osgiliath was kinda considered as France, since both Gondor(England) and Mordor(Germany) were each trying to take it, and in WWI, england and germany basically fought on the divided land of france
Old 01-21-2004, 09:08 PM   #3
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

Treebeard may have been influenced by Tolkien's Friend C.S. Lewis, but as it has been said many times, Tolkien himself stated that thre should be no relation of anything in Middle Earth to Real life events or places i.e. WWI or WWII
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 08:02 AM   #4
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Sting

Treebeard "was" influenced by C.S Lewis, i do know that Tolkien hated war and everything about it
Old 01-22-2004, 03:55 PM   #5
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe

According to Humphrey Carpenter's biography, Tolkien once told Nevill Coghill that he had modelled Treebeard's mannerisms of speech on "the booming voice of C.S. Lewis". Although the words are Carpenter's and not those of Tolkien or Coghill, I see no reason to doubt the truth of them.

As for there being any real interpolations, I think that Tolkien was too subtle to insert any person, place or concept into his writing as it was in the real world. He might have taken Lewis' voice for Treebeard, but the rest of the character is probably quite unlike him. Often he drew comparisons between his fiction and the real world, but only in the way that someone might compare something with a person, place or event from natural mythology. For example, after a trip to Italy in 1955, he wrote: "Venice seemed incredibly, elvishly lovely - to me like a dream of old Gondor, or Pelargir of the Númenorean Ships before the return of the Shadow." In his letters, he compares the Númenoreans with the ancient Egyptians in their burial practices, and he said that Siamese cats belonged "to the fauna of Mordor". This does not, of course, presume that Númenor is ancient Egypt or that there really were cats in Mordor: Tolkien simply saw parallels, as he expected his readers to do. Too close a portrayal of any place, person, situation or event would have smacked too much of allegory, from which he was quick to dissociate his fiction.

Last edited by The Squatter of Amon Rûdh; 06-13-2004 at 02:33 PM.
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 09:19 PM   #6
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I doubt that Tolkien meant for this and I am kind of getting into the symbolism again. The three main peoples of ME represent the humans of this world in three different ways. The Elves are what everyone wants to be. They are beatiful, immortal, very wise, and excelent craftsmen. The mortal men are what we actually are. We are kind of close the the elves but not close enough for our own liking. The drawves we are what we do not want to see in ourselves. They are often rude, dirty, and not all that attractive. The people of ME are symbols of our desires, reality, and what we fear in ourselves. Like I said, Tolkien probably didn't see it this way but I did.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote