The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-08-2006, 03:55 PM   #41
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
++Witch-King

(See previous "day" for reasons....)

And yay! I started a bandwagon! *gloats*
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:02 PM   #42
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Votes so far ( because I'm bored):

Durin - 2
Witch-King - 3
Celebrian - 1

Anything could happen.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:09 PM   #43
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

I guess no one can see the conniving little worm that Celebrimbor is. Now Grima is not in this competition, but at least as a pathetic worm he finally got some back bone and killed Saruman...what about Celebrimbor? This guy is useless. The only reason I didn't stay with him yesterday was because Ori, quite frankly is such a lag on the ratings, Celebrimbor is about just as bad.

Let's look at Celebrimbor's so called 'accomplishments.' So, he makes these 3 elven rings, supposedly he was tricked and deceived by Sauron to make them...what a hunk of baloney. If being Feanor's son isn't enough for you, when have you ever known the stubborn sons of Feanor give up anything they made that was of value? Which means the 3 elven rings Celebrimbor made were junk, or he would never have given them up. Also, it's quite clear he was in league with Sauron...tricked...ya right. Sauron goes to Celebrimbor says, make me some rings, I'll taked the fall for wanting complete and total domination over the Elven Race, and you can be stuck with the glory and honor of making this blingy jewelry. But, in reality the rings were junk, or Celebrimbor wouldn't have given them up, nor would Sauron have been able to easily dominate and make them absolutely useless when he had the Ring, and after the Ring was destroyed. So, put it simply the styling rings were no more than a cracker jack toy out of a box.

Then he moves on to design this door for Moria, and what kind of password is that? I mean if a brainless hobbit can figure out the password, then obviously he's a fraud. No wonder why Moria became infestered with Orcs and a Balrog, because this 'grand secret door' was more baloney by Celebrimbor.

So, while Celebrimbor goes around reeking the glory and fame of creating these super awesome items and achievements...look at what he actually accomplishes...nothing. The Rings were junk, his door was crap, and he goes on with everyone believing he's some great craftsman.

++Celebrimbor
Old 08-08-2006, 04:58 PM   #44
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Psst...Boro

He's Feanor's grandson. But I'm all for eliminating any posterity of the scum they call Feanor.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:31 PM   #45
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Elf-warrior is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Elf-warrior
++Sauron

I think we can agree he is the worst of the worst among the contestants. He corrupted a whole nation. Things got so bad that Eru himself intervened and destroyed Numenor. It was he who ordered the werewolf murders of all of Beren's companions. He made the Uruks. The whole land of Mordor is a testimony of his great evil. On this second day we should cut off evil by its head instead of voting off a mere puppet, a venerable Dwarf Patriarch, a great craftsmen, and a victim of the Orcs. Who knows what kind of unspeakable torture she endured?
Old 08-08-2006, 07:22 PM   #46
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I would like to re-instate my case for Tom Bombadil.

The witch-King isn't so great as he could be, but still he's one of the master baddies. Without an enemy there would be no heroes either.

But what does Tom do in the story? (or Goldberry for that matter? - it's only my inner feminist that calls for killing Tom before Goldberry)

Singing melodramatic schlager-tunes and being so out of all that is happening. He does not add to anything that is in the story or involve himself in anything. He's just a "big-old-guy" who somehow can resist the ring but still is without a decent role in the story. Saving the Hobbits from the Barrow-Downs can not be counted here as a major involvement.

Tom is just downright repulsive "nice-guy" with no real function in the story.

Down with him!

++ Tom Bombadil
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:07 PM   #47
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
And 'cause I'm sitting back and watching Diamond be provocative.
Well I don't think this is quite the right crowd to find an Alf vote provocative.

Hmmm... eenie meenie miney mo... who shall I vote for today?

+ + Ar-Pharazon

Pig. Creep. Jerk. Power mad Sauron toadie.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:33 PM   #48
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elf-warrior
It was he who ordered the werewolf murders of all of Beren's companions.
Yes but without Sauron we wouldn't have our beloved game of WW now would we?
Old 08-09-2006, 03:35 AM   #49
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
++Sauron

If you have to be a bad guy you have to be it proper and not go an put you power into a ring. Of all things, why a ring? Why not something big and manly, like a Shredder
Die you minion of Morgoth!

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:57 AM   #50
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420!

I continue my campaign against those who attempted to rule earth rather than let the rightful children duke it out themselves.

++ Manwe

Come on, with a name like that, he's the most magnificent? More like Morewennie, but skip the mustard 'cause this ain't no hot dog.

Last edited by Bêthberry; 08-09-2006 at 06:10 AM.
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:44 AM   #51
Mirkgirl
Haunting Spirit

Mirkgirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry
I continue my campaign against those who attempted to rule earth rather than let the rightful children duke it out themselves.
My plan was to stick to WK, but after this...
And I wouldn't give him my cat's litterbox let alone a Silmaril if he treated me like he treated Feanor.

++ Manwe
"Hobbits! Well, what next? I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of a hobbit sleeping out of doors under a tree. Three of them! There's something mighty queer behind this."
Mirkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:23 AM   #52
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirkgirl
And I wouldn't give him my cat's litterbox let alone a Silmaril if he treated me like he treated Feanor.

That's one of Manwe's greatest attributes! He, unlike all others, didn't grovel before the pompous Feanor.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:45 AM   #53
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Votes so far:

Durin - 2
Witch-King - 3
Celebrian - 1
Celebrimbor -1
Sauron - 2
Tom Bombadil - 1
Ar-Pharazon - 1
Manwe - 2 (thanks Bethberry)

Also I will be ending the day an hour early, instead of late. So Day 2 ends at 1pm EST.

Last edited by wilwarin538; 08-09-2006 at 11:09 AM. Reason: typo
wilwarin538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:04 AM   #54
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Er, um, Manwe has two votes, from Mirkgirl and Bethberry, at this point in the day.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:07 AM   #55
Mirkgirl
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
That's one of Manwe's greatest attributes! He, unlike all others, didn't grovel before the pompous Feanor.
You dont have to grovel, but if you want something that belongs to someone else and is regarded as very valuable by him you might as well ask nicely. A concept fully alien to oh-so-mighty manwe. No groveling due to illusions of self-importance is worst that grovelling itself.
"Hobbits! Well, what next? I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of a hobbit sleeping out of doors under a tree. Three of them! There's something mighty queer behind this."
Old 08-09-2006, 10:59 AM   #56
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Day 2 had been just as eventful as Day 1, but the votes were much closer.

Durin - 2
Witch-King - 3
Celebrian - 1
Celebrimbor -1
Sauron - 2
Tom Bombadil - 1
Ar-Pharazon - 1
Manwe - 2

At the end of the day it was the Witch-King that got booted out of the game.

Literally.

As the Witch-King walked away from the other contestants, he looked down the cliff that Ori had fallen off of the day before, and made sure to not trip and meet the same fate. But as he turned to walk away, the Muddy Boot of Doom came out from behind a shrubbery and kicked the Witch-King, who then fell off the conveniently placed cliff.

Thus ends Day 2!

Remaining contestants:

From the Lord of the Rings Survivor
Merry
Gimli
Hama
Gandalf
Arwen

From the Silmarillion Survivor
Maglor
Sauron
Elbereth
Osse
Manwe
Ingwe

From the Hobbit Survivor
Smaug
The Bullroarer
Gloin
Durin
Bofur

From the Second Age Survivor
Tar-Miriel
Celebrimbor
Celebrian
Thorondor
Tar-Aldarion
Ar-Pharazon

From the Minor Works Survivor
Chrysophylax Dives
Goldberry
Alf the Prentice, King of Faerie
Perry-the-Winkle
Princess Pam
Tom Bombadil

Day 3 has begun! You may now start voting!

NOTE: This day will end at the normal time tomorrow.

Last edited by wilwarin538; 08-09-2006 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:22 AM   #57
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Boromir makes a strong case for evicting
Celebrimbor, though I think it's more as being
the slow boy in elf class (after all, it did take him six
years and three changes of majors to graduate from
VTU (Valar Technological Institute).:

Quote:
Let's look at Celebrimbor's so called 'accomplishments.' So, he makes these 3 elven rings, supposedly he was tricked and deceived by Sauron to make them...what a hunk of baloney. If being Feanor's son isn't enough for you, when have you ever known the stubborn sons of Feanor give up anything they made that was of value? Which means the 3 elven rings Celebrimbor made were junk, or he would never have given them up. Also, it's quite clear he was in league with Sauron...tricked...ya right. Sauron goes to Celebrimbor says, make me some rings, I'll taked the fall for wanting complete and total domination over the Elven Race, and you can be stuck with the glory and honor of making this blingy jewelry. But, in reality the rings were junk, or Celebrimbor wouldn't have given them up, nor would Sauron have been able to easily dominate and make them absolutely useless when he had the Ring, and after the Ring was destroyed. So, put it simply the styling rings were no more than a cracker jack toy out of a box.

Then he moves on to design this door for Moria, and what kind of password is that? I mean if a brainless hobbit can figure out the password, then obviously he's a fraud. No wonder why Moria became infestered with Orcs and a Balrog, because this 'grand secret door' was more baloney by Celebrimbor.
So, + + Celebrimbor
Old 08-09-2006, 12:54 PM   #58
mormegil
Maundering Mage

++Maglor

I think Tolkien, may he rest in peace, was a bit drunk when he came up with this name. Seriously what is 'Maglor' it's an awful name and I read once...I believe in letter 292 the Tolkien stated:

Quote:
I regret the name Maglor, things had been pretty rough in my life and the work wasn't going much anywhere at the time so I got a bit too drunk for my own good and thought I had a level of inspiration. Much too my chagrin I never caught the name and my editor never mentioned anything to me about the atrocity of a name that is Maglor. I really don't remember what I was thinking...if I even was. In retrospect his name matches the character...fairly useless and drab.
I've clearly demonstrated the the professor and I are in harmony on this. Therefore, if you love Tolkien and respect his works it is your duty to eliminate this embarassment of a character.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:28 PM   #59
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Oooo!! Good argument Morm! But I still don't like Durin or Arwen being in this game... Ugh!! Hmmm... What to do, what...to...do....
Old 08-09-2006, 02:31 PM   #60
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Elf-warrior is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Elf-warrior
++ Sauron

Because he is the evilest among the contestants. I have serious doubts about the authenticity of that quote mormegil.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:02 PM   #61
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
++Tar-Mirel.

Seriously, what did she even do? Even Tolkien himself said that he thought her so unimportant that he barely gave her a name. All she did was get her crown stolen and died. All her crown being stolen did was try to show how sick Ar-Pharazon really was. She's a filler character, like a red-shirted ensign on Star Trek.

So, begone with the most useless character Tolkien ever wrote about.

(P.S. I predict that all the bad guys will be voted off, then any important good guys, and finally we'll have only minor characters, possibly one stronger but still minor character, and an Aniur.)
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains

Last edited by The 1,000 Reader; 08-09-2006 at 04:06 PM.
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:08 PM   #62
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
She's a filler character, like a red-shirted ensign on Star Trek.
Ah but she has a name!

Quote:
I have serious doubts about the authenticity of that quote mormegil.
I'm pretty sure it's authentic.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:13 PM   #63
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
++Tom Bombadil

Got to honor old traditions... even if I don't find him as truly obnoxious as I used to, the songs do still get old after a while (maybe that's why he's not as obnoxious now that I just skip all his songs... ). Always going on about his yellow boots and whatnot, as if they couldn't tell that just by looking at him.

He doesn't deserve to be an All-Star anyway.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:16 PM   #64
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
Ah but she has a name!
So did redshirts.
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:24 PM   #65
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
White Tree

Hey I made a good argument for once...

++Celebrimbor

I wish I was around at the end of Day 2, I would have changed my vote to Manwe. If the WK was going down, Manwe sure would go down with him. I never understand why people always want to get rid of the bad guys, they're fun and great entertainment.

See with Sauron, you know he's down right evil and crazy. Celebrimbor he just masks himself as some glorious and brave good guy, but he's just a cheap petty worm.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:31 PM   #66
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Nothing wrong with redshirts. Garibaldi´s struggle to win independence for Italy and all that.
Brownshirts and blackshirts, on the other hand....

anyway, voting...

++TOM BOMBADIL

Everything Firefoot and Noggie said.
One of the few places where PJ and I totally see eye to eye.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:04 PM   #67
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

White Tree

What did Tom Bombadil ever do to you?

It's nice having a merry, singing, frolicking, yellow-booted guy around to cheer everyone up and hold everyone in good spirits. Kind of like a Richard Hatch character.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #68
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Thank you for saying exactly what I was going to say Boro!

Anyway, my vote is for

++Arwen

She's still a usurper!!
Old 08-10-2006, 02:14 AM   #69
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
What can I say about ol' Bombadillo that hasn't already been said?

I don't know.

++ Tom Bombadil

Especially for singing schlager - none of those people deserve surviving.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:28 AM   #70
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
The voting clearly is taking a more reasonable path today...

++ Tom Bombadil

(For reasons, see day 1 and 2)
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:49 AM   #71
Mirkgirl
Haunting Spirit

I'd still give Manwe a try... see yesterday for reasons

++ Manwe
Old 08-10-2006, 06:40 AM   #72
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
++Tom Bombadil

May I add to the case?
- He steals from the Barrow-Wight
- He drives the Barrow-Wight away from the 'Downs
- He drives potential BW's victims away

What crimes! As a barrow-downer I must say I'm horrified...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:43 AM   #73
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Sure, do away with the funny one, the one who can provide humour when all else fails and a bit of hospitality, story and song. No sense keeping nonsense. What good's it for after all?

++ Manwe
Old 08-10-2006, 08:09 AM   #74
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

The one from Gondolin speaks sense!

++ Celebrimbor
Old 08-10-2006, 08:34 AM   #75
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Tom Bombadil depresses me with his optimism... :/
And he didn't even get into the film :Ö, what a loser (well, because there were no Barrow-Downs in the film... but that's different).
Very great reasons to get rid of him? No? Well, I won't even bother to vote him out, you do that for me.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:36 AM   #76
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Votes thus far:

Celebrimbor - 3
Maglor - 1
Sauron - 1
Tar-Miriel -1
Tom Bombadil - 5
Arwen - 1
Manwe - 2
Old 08-10-2006, 08:58 AM   #77
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
++Manwe

Imagine how things would have been, if he at a party in Valinor casually had mentioned to the Elves that the race of men would appear at some point. . .

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:38 AM   #78
mormegil
Maundering Mage

--Maglor

++Celebrimbor
Old 08-10-2006, 11:54 AM   #79
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Day 3 wasn't quit as exciting as the first 2 days of All Star Survivor, but the votes were very close:

Celebrimbor - 4
Sauron - 1
Tar-Miriel -1
Tom Bombadil - 5
Arwen - 1
Manwe - 2

At the end of the day it was Tom Bombadil that received the most votes.

Tom stood up and walked away from his tribe. As he pranced away singing.........nothing terrible happened because he's one of my favorite characters. He just hopped a long singing happily, only slightly disappointed, and lived happily ever after.

Thus ends Day 3!

Remaining contestants:

From the Lord of the Rings Survivor
Merry
Gimli
Hama
Gandalf
Arwen

From the Silmarillion Survivor
Maglor
Sauron
Elbereth
Osse
Manwe
Ingwe

From the Hobbit Survivor
Smaug
The Bullroarer
Gloin
Durin
Bofur

From the Second Age Survivor
Tar-Miriel
Celebrimbor
Celebrian
Thorondor
Tar-Aldarion
Ar-Pharazon

From the Minor Works Survivor
Chrysophylax Dives
Goldberry
Alf the Prentice, King of Faerie
Perry-the-Winkle
Princess Pam

You may now start voting!

I'm going on a little road trip with my family tomorrow, though we are leaving early in the morning, and I should be back in time, just wanted to warn you incase the plan changes and I end up being late.

Last edited by wilwarin538; 08-10-2006 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:33 PM   #80
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Is there actually any point in me voting for Maglor again? I can see that there are enough fans, I can't for the life of me understand why, but enough exist that he may be the favorite out there.

Last edited by mormegil; 08-10-2006 at 02:29 PM.
mormegil is offline   Reply With Quote