The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-16-2006, 06:38 PM   #241
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
He blew his horn and devised the master stratagem of surrounding his foes with superior numbers.
Actually, that sounds like a pretty good strategem to me...well, except for the bit about blowing the horn. Truly important people (such as myself) have minions to blow horns for them.

I now propose that we do something entirely sensible and rational. Hama died a glooorious death being chopped into itty bitty pieces at the Hornburg. We should honor his memory by giving him a right good send off here! (I'm willing to negotiate on chopping him up into itty bitty pieces, but if there is any of that to be had I want in on it!)

++ Hama
Old 08-16-2006, 09:21 PM   #242
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
++Perry-the-Winkle

Worst. Winkle. Ever.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:28 PM   #243
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Kuru but the arguement inevitably be he was a master stratagist, and the simple fact is he is not! Like I said anybody could think of such a simple tactic, why even school yard bullies who generally have a rather low IQ (approaching that of primate levels) knows that basic concept.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:40 PM   #244
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Elf-warrior is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Elf-warrior
++Sauron

He is not called Base Master of Treachery for nothing.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:41 PM   #245
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Yes!! Vote Out Arwen!!

++arwen!!!!!
Old 08-16-2006, 10:12 PM   #246
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Like I said anybody could think of such a simple tactic
Ahh...but in war the simplest practicable plan is usually the best.

It is sort of like engineering, you want to construct a plan that has as few points of potential failure as possible.

Last edited by Kuruharan; 08-16-2006 at 10:51 PM.
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:52 AM   #247
Mirkgirl
Haunting Spirit

Mirkgirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
What did Merry do in the Scouring of the Shire? He blew his horn and devised the master stratagem of surrounding his foes with superior numbers. Had his foes had any level of intelligence he wouldn't have done anything and would have been massacered. The Hobbits for crying out loud, guerilla tactics would be much more suited for them then open combat yet Merry was too dim witted to even see this.

He would never be my captain.
The problem is he DIDNT have enemies of any intelligence and his strategy was a strategy against people of no intelligence. Why waste time with guerilla (which takes time and half the hobbits will loose heart just after the first meal). Strategy is only worth if its adequate to the situation.

Whom to vote out... hmmm... lets see exam in half an hour Ill be back after and vote according to my mood
"Hobbits! Well, what next? I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of a hobbit sleeping out of doors under a tree. Three of them! There's something mighty queer behind this."
Mirkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:59 AM   #248
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
What did Merry do that made him a hero?
Bullroarer, however, stopped and Orc invasion whereas didn't even kill a single orc in all of Pellenor fields let alone stop the entire invasion.
How many orcs did Bullroarer kill himself? Not the entire orc army, I bet. So it wasn't only him who won the battle and stopped the invasion. It was the hobbit army, not him, though he was the leader and had a part in the victory. So you can't except Merry either to stop an invasion alone. He was not a leader in the Pelennor fields you speak of. If a single person gets glory from a it's almost always the leader. That was Bullroarer's case. So you condemn Merry because he was not in a leading position? Or the fact that Bullroarer is a leader makes him "better" in your opinion? Morm, you're a scary aristocrat... Besides, helping to kill the Witch-King is far more important than finishing a few orcs, even of one of them was a big boss.

++Bullroarer

It would be a pity to waste valiant support. Thanks, Volo.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:24 AM   #249
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
He was not a leader in the Pelennor fields you speak of.
No he wasn't and he didn't do anything, like I said he has rewritten the history books and this 'noble' poking in the knee of the W-k wasn't what it seemed either the sad truth is he was trying to escape and got confused when he tripped and poked the W-k in the knee.

As for leadership ability, Merry couldn't lead a pack of dung beatles to a pile of oliphant dung!
Old 08-17-2006, 05:48 AM   #250
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Pipe

I don't doubt that that knife to the Witch-King thing was historical revisionism of the worst sort.

It smells, I tell you, it smells. It is so typically patronising towards women, the kind of little knife which worries away real, true heroine-ism. Ya give a woman a major role to play, a major act set up by prophecy and then ya weakens it by having a minion do the final cut. Really! Talk about misogyny and puffing up one's own self-importance! You pretend to say a woman can do the job and then in the final moments you undercut it all--no wonder the story later shows Eowyn succumbing so quickly to domesticity and traditional authority. I'm surprised that the story doesn't have Merry whistling for the eagles and riding them off to Mount Doom to save Sam and Frodo himself.

No, don't give me this hobbits are so loveable and great. They're parochial Little Englanders who want to keep their females home, hyped full of herblore and housework with lots of little kettles singing on the fire.

++ Merry
Old 08-17-2006, 06:11 AM   #251
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Bethberry, you have been listening to Wormtongues of the worst kind. Anyone who reads the text with a clear and open mind can see that no revisionism has taken place there.
Quote:
Merry crawled
on all fours like a dazed beast, and such a horror was on him that he was blind
and sick.
Quote:
Still she did not blench: maiden of the Rohirrim, child of kings, slender but
as a steel-blade, fair but terrible. A swift stroke she dealt, skilled and deadly.
If Merry did rewrite the history books, it certainly wasn't to puff up his own self-importance.
Have you wondered by the way, why Eowyn is not in the All Star Final?
You'd better ask Mormegil
Old 08-17-2006, 06:32 AM   #252
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Lalaith,

I never said anything about Eowyn and her feats of bravery in that. I merely had to stop rival Kath. No the point being made is that Merry radically alters history to suit him.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:43 AM   #253
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
Bethberry, you have been listening to Wormtongues of the worst kind. Anyone who reads the text with a clear and open mind can see that no revisionism has taken place there.

If Merry did rewrite the history books, it certainly wasn't to puff up his own self-importance.
Have you wondered by the way, why Eowyn is not in the All Star Final?
You'd better ask Mormegil
Dear Lalaith: The perfect subterfuge with which to steer disclaimers!

To say nothing of the Merry who becomes a pompous, self-congratulatory Man of Importance in The Shire! Beside him, Boswell is a giant!
Old 08-17-2006, 08:12 AM   #254
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I have to say that I truly enjoy the current tussle about Merry.

So much, that I think it should continue for one more day - at least.

++Bullroarer
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:49 AM   #255
Mirkgirl
Haunting Spirit

Mirkgirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkgirl
The exam went just as bad as usual.

Bah whats that with hobbits. Id rather take the elf

++ Arwen

The new Luthien?
If it was so she'd go smack Sauron toss the ring in the fire (with or without the hobbit attached) and make only a small detour to pick up Aragorn from the Paths of the Death where he got lost.
"Hobbits! Well, what next? I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of a hobbit sleeping out of doors under a tree. Three of them! There's something mighty queer behind this."

Last edited by Mirkgirl; 08-17-2006 at 08:59 AM.
Mirkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:52 AM   #256
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Shield

Quote:
Arwen

In the movies she's obnoxious and in the books she's practically nonexistant. Hers and Aragorn's story in the appendices is touching, sure, but what else does she really contribute?
And let's face it. Offspring of Aragorn and Eowyn would be far
more feisty, with the grit to deal with Middle-earth's problems.

+ + Arwen
Old 08-17-2006, 08:54 AM   #257
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
In memory of various clogged-up vacuum cleaners* I will vote for Hama today.

++HAMA

*An explanation
Old 08-17-2006, 10:39 AM   #258
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
++Bullroarer

I do like golf, but it is over hyped. . . It is too much when they start selling golf-balls in discount stores!

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 11:32 AM   #259
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Votes so far:

Bullroarer - 4
Merry - 3
Arwen - 4
Hama - 2
Perry-the-Winkle - 1
Sauron - 1

You have about half an hour.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:57 AM   #260
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

FINALLY!! The two people I want out of this competition will finally be eliminated!! Thank yoU!
Old 08-17-2006, 12:09 PM   #261
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Day 10 ended with a tie:

Bullroarer - 4
Merry - 3
Arwen - 4
Hama - 2
Perry-the-Winkle - 1
Sauron - 1

The Bullroarer and Arwen would both be leaving the game today!

As the elf and the hobbit walked away from the tribe, Glorfindel could be seen in the distance. Since Arwen stole his horse in the movie he wanted revenge. So he grabbed a golf club and a golf ball and hit it with all his might. The ball went flying and hit the Bullroarer on the top of the head, then bounced off and hit Arwen in the face. They were both knocked out.

So Arwen and the Bullroarer were both punished that day. Arwen for stealing a horse, and the Bullroarer for inventing a terribly boring game.

Thus ends day 10!

The remaining contestants:

From the Lord of the Rings Survivor
Merry
Gimli
Hama
Gandalf

From the Silmarillion Survivor
Sauron
Elbereth
Osse
Ingwe

From the Hobbit Survivor
Smaug
Gloin
Durin
Bofur

From the Second Age Survivor
Tar-Miriel
Celebrian
Thorondor
Tar-Aldarion

From the Minor Works Survivor
Chrysophylax Dives
Goldberry
Perry-the-Winkle

You may now start voting!

P.S. I mentioned a couple of Days ago that I would be out of town Saturday through Monday, this weekend, and will have no access to a computer. If anyone would be willing to cover for me this weekend I'd appreciate it. If you could cover for me for even one of those days it would be fine, even if it's a different person each day it will work. PM me if you can. If no one is able to, the game will just have to be put on hold until tuesday.

Thank you.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:14 PM   #262
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
You are welcome Glirdan.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:22 PM   #263
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Now, I swear to aid you all (only once mind you) to be rid of at least one character. But keep in mind that if it is one that I really would like to keep in, I'll have to go against you.

But for now, just because I want to see all but one gone,

++Perry-the-Winkle
Old 08-17-2006, 12:44 PM   #264
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
++Perry-the-Winkle

What kind of name is that? I think someone said it was a hobbit - what self-respecting hobbit would allow himself to be known as such? Really. Is there a such thing as a winkle?
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:57 PM   #265
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

++Perry-the-Winkle

As Gil said: "The worst Winkel ever"

Old 08-17-2006, 01:28 PM   #266
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Okay nobody has any real reason to vote Perry-the-Winkle. I'm sure the professor would be rolling over in his grave at seeing these 'fans' vote off such a beloved character. It is a true shame and you should all feel very bad about this. Did I not predict to you that there is a conspiracy plot to get rid of all minor work characters. Here is more evidence what do you need?
Old 08-17-2006, 06:23 PM   #267
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
wow.. .second bandwagon i've started so far...

++Perry-the-Winkle
Old 08-17-2006, 08:07 PM   #268
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
+ + Sauron

Don't make me repeat myself....
Old 08-17-2006, 10:24 PM   #269
mormegil
Maundering Mage

A final surge!

Please read as this is the sum of my arguements with some additions as to why Merry is the best candidate for today's lynchings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormegil
We should thin out one of the groups who still have 5. That is minor works, LOTR, and The Hobbit. I suggest we keep Bullroarer as he is fairly interesting, for a hobbit. Merry on the other hand is rather obnoxious, he can't take orders and without Pippin he's kind of like David Spade without Chris Farley--Useless.
Quote:
Well neither one is here now are they...so he is rather useless. He's neither a good serious nor a good funny. He tries to balance the two but fails horribly.
Quote:
Let me add to my Merry argument. He essentially is neither here nor there. He's, as I said, moderately funny but not enough to keep neither is he serious enough to be kept for his depth. He's not exactly dumb, and we can find some charm in dumb or slow witted characters, but he's not really intelligent either. He's not a blundering nincompoop on the battle field, well at least by the end, but he's no master strategist either and do NOT tell me the Scouring of the Shire plan was a stroke of genius, he simply blew his horn and had the hobbits out number the ruffians. He's neither repugnant morally nor is he scrupulous.

The sum of it is: Merry is just plain and average and nothing he does can change that. There's really only a sense of mediocre blah when it comes to Merry and that my friends is a rating killer plain and simple.
Quote:
No, my opinion isn't influenced by the movies so no need to worry, even if it were it's fairly irrelevant. However you admit that Merry is fairly bland and mediocre...this character type is horrible for ratings. Plus he's Pippin's friend and supporter and that alone is crime enough for a hanging.
Quote:
Really to keep some balance we should be voting for the hobbit or LOTR characters as most will see the poor minor works folks won't make it very far because apparently some of you don't appreciate those works.

Look at Merry's name. Double r's are ambigious linguistically as they are pronounce very differently depending upon the language or dialect even. Take Portuguese for example, in Portugal you would make a near rolling R sound similar, yet different, to that of traditional Spanish. However, in Brazil it would make something closer to an H sound but even then the double R is messy and confusing in all languages and should go
Quote:
My friends, it has become horribly obvious that there is some deft subterfuge at work here. This blatant attempt to get every minor work character evicted is nothing short of genocide. Mark my words today the excuse is "I like Merry so Alf needs to go" and tomorrow it will be a similar story but it will be another minor work character.

It is our moral obligation to stop this genocide and save those characters who, through no fault of their own, haven't received their due recognition. Alf is a wonderful character who has much more personality than Merry. He has a rags to riches story unlike Merry who was born in the hobbit aristocracy and never did anything to benefit anybody but himself.

SAVE THE MINOR WORK CHARACTERS AND VOTE MERRY.
Quote:
Merry on the other hand was born into wealth by hobbit standards and a family of power and influence yet he did little with it.

Alf was humble about all his experiences and fortunes, Merry however flaunted his riches to his final days and tried to usurp that of others. He is a thief and that's a fact! He stole from Saruman and then flaunted Saruman's own pipe weed when he was a beggar. He taunted a poor old beggar man that had been cruelly defeated and stripped of any dignity by trees.
Quote:
What did Merry do that made him a hero? He didn't kill the W-k we all know it was Eowyn and but for the charity of a lady he would be relegated to telling Hobbit stories to the Rohan women, it is my personal belief that Merry breathed a sigh of relief when King Theoden wouldn't let him come on the journey but to his utter dismay Eowyn roped him in and essentially had to tie him down so as to make him come. Of course since Merry had access to the history books he rewrote history to make himself look better.

Bullroarer, however, stopped and Orc invasion whereas didn't even kill a single orc in all of Pellenor fields let alone stop the entire invasion.

Plus, and most importantly, Merry is named after an emotion! What kind of man is named after and emotion? Seriously though!
Quote:
What did Merry do in the Scouring of the Shire? He blew his horn and devised the master stratagem of surrounding his foes with superior numbers. Had his foes had any level of intelligence he wouldn't have done anything and would have been massacered. The Hobbits for crying out loud, guerilla tactics would be much more suited for them then open combat yet Merry was too dim witted to even see this.

He would never be my captain.
Quote:
Kuru but the arguement inevitably be he was a master stratagist, and the simple fact is he is not! Like I said anybody could think of such a simple tactic, why even school yard bullies who generally have a rather low IQ (approaching that of primate levels) knows that basic concept.
Quote:
No he wasn't and he didn't do anything, like I said he has rewritten the history books and this 'noble' poking in the knee of the W-k wasn't what it seemed either the sad truth is he was trying to escape and got confused when he tripped and poked the W-k in the knee.

As for leadership ability, Merry couldn't lead a pack of dung beatles to a pile of oliphant dung!
Quote:
Lalaith,

I never said anything about Eowyn and her feats of bravery in that. I merely had to stop rival Kath. No the point being made is that Merry radically alters history to suit him.

I have adequately demonstared that Merry is uninteresting and a cheat. Would be woefully inadequate in a real battle. Without Pippin he becomes even a worse character and the poor fellow is depressed because at least with Pippin there was somebody less intelligent than he. He rewrote history, that is a crime and should be punished with death the least we could do is evict him.

Let me write a cute little poem

Mediocre
Expendable
Repugnant
Recreant
Yucky (okay this is sad but it's a difficult letter)

It's far too obvious that there is a strong movement to evict all minor work characters and that is just disgraceful. This Nordic voting block is becoming far too powerful and they need to be put in their place and quick otherwise they will begin to think they control this whole thing.

Merry is trite and boring. Do I need to dig in the archives and find more letter from the Professor?

In letter 679.

Quote:
Merry is one of those characters that I just didn't know how to deal with. I began to write him in but then as his character developed, if you can call it that, I began to realize that he never should have been written in but I was so far into the story that I couldn't write him out so I left him despite my ethical objection to leaving such an awful character. By the end his only real purpose to serve as filler material and add more pages to the text. I ended up giving him some story plots so it wasn't obvious that I hated him, so I made some definate hints for the observant reader to detect that Merry had indeed changed history to suit himself. Thus, those who have the depth to see these hints really know that Merry was a sham character in an otherwise great tale.
++MERRY

I vow not to change my vote until Merry is gone and the arguements will continue too
Old 08-17-2006, 10:51 PM   #270
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Dare I say it?

I don't know... author's intent or the reader's perception of Merry? Getting a little to close to the C-thread, methinks...
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:27 AM   #271
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Because it's Rune's birthday :

++Perry-the-Winkle
Old 08-18-2006, 08:24 AM   #272
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Apparently Mormegil didn't have access to the original
manuscript of Letter 679, since it ends with
Quote:
And as I explained to Jack and the Useless Quack I
have always hated hobbits. I only added yet another one,
and called him "Merry", because of the incessant whining of
my spoiled rotten son Christopher (what a brat!). And the kid actually
took seriously the bits about Merry I sent him when he was in South
Africa avoiding the war for years so I had to keep Merry in the
tale.
+ + Merry
Old 08-18-2006, 08:33 AM   #273
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
++Perry-the-Winkle

Minor works character. No more reason needed.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:45 AM   #274
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure
++Perry-the-Winkle

Minor works character. No more reason needed.
Diamond I call upon your sense of decency and moral outrage to help stem this tide!

Also any others who have any appreciation for any of Tolkien's other works to join in this battle for their right to exist.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:50 AM   #275
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
First off, thanks to Volo, Mac and Rune for your vote. I was very bored with the Bullroarer.

I feel I have kind of a debt...

++PERRY-THE-WINKLE

And whatever the Professor himself said I like Merry...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:33 AM   #276
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

1420! Silly season

Only the dog days of summer would see such a tussle.

++ Merry-the-Winkle
Old 08-18-2006, 09:41 AM   #277
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Well, Morm, I must thank you for drawing me back into this world. I had previously noted that the Chief Warg was not present in this contest (why?) and so left the arena in disgust.

But on closer inspection today, I find that Tar-Aldarion (!) is in it.

I can barely remember a more foul injustice! Morm, if I help you in your quest, will I have your support in outing the single most boring character in Tolkien's works?
Old 08-18-2006, 09:42 AM   #278
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Well, Morm, I must thank you for drawing me back into this world. I had previously noted that the Chief Warg was not present in this contest (why?) and so left the arena in disgust.

But on closer inspection today, I find that Tar-Aldarion (!) is in it.

I can barely remember a more foul injustice! Morm, if I help you in your quest, will I have your support in outing the single most boring character in Tolkien's works?
I will look in the old letters that I have and find any and all dirt in your quest!
Old 08-18-2006, 09:43 AM   #279
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

++MERRY

That's the utilitarian in me.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:51 AM   #280
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

mormegil, wow, absolutely stunning. I'm impressed.

Let's look at what Merry accomplishes...

1. Claims to at least be 'part' of the Witch-Kings death.

1a. Merry did not kill the Witch-King, therefor he can not claim he did such act. Eowyn dealt the final and killing blow to the Witch-King.

1b. It wasn't Merry, it was the Barrow-blade. Let's see what damage Merry would have done to the Witch-King if it was some crappy hobbit sword. And not a sword that was specially wrought with spells to be the 'Bane of Mordor.'

2. Kills the leader of the Ruffians. - this is actually really no great accomplishment. Ruffians, are brigands, scum, dirt, they're nothing impressive. Pippin's slaying of a cave troll is far more impressive than Merry's 2 accomplishments combined. And I don't see Pippin on this Allstar Island.

++Merry

This is Survivor Allstar, and Merry doesn't cut it.