Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2005, 02:11 PM   #361
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
I'm still keen on playing and I will be around over the Christmas period though obviously my participation will be somewhat limited due to the duties that must be performed such as actually talking to other family members
*chokes on a laugh* Come, come dear, family members are, after all, family members. They can't be that boring. Unless you're refering to extended family members. . .?

-- Folwren
Old 12-22-2005, 02:26 PM   #362
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
The show must go on!

Well, here I am for the head count. I'll be able to post unhindered for a while: no vacations, no visits from family, no anything well into spring, I think. So I'm ready to post as soon as possible.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:02 PM   #363
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcarillo
no vacations, no visits from family, no anything well into spring, I think.
I envy your life.

Fordim, congratulations, that's wonderful! And twins! Any thought of names so far?

I'm very sorry about my absense - I realise those little words don't really seem to mean very much, but believe me when I say that I have reason, which I have outlined to Pio but don't really want to go into on a public thread. They're...sorting themselves out now, and I should have more time to post, theoretically, concerts and choral rehersals allowing, and I hope to read up as soon as possible. I'm not, never have been, in the habit of leaving RPG, this is probably the first time - just take that as some way of understanding that, yeah, things have been a little rough recently.

Fordim is certainly a rather...well, huge loss, certainly to my character in particular. Fordim, I don't suppose there would be any way of your finding a replacement? It seems a shame to 'carry' your character if you pull out, when he's so well written so far - could you possibly try to find a replacement? Failing that, I shall look for one myself. Ditto to other missing characters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Anguirel *:

EDIT -- PRELUDE TO THE CHESS GAME:

(Anguirel, I put Aman's post in your #52 SAVE post on the game thread ~*~ Pio)

Here is the long-awaited post before they play chess. Unfortunately, due to the long-windedness of it, I haven't got around to the actual chess game yet - if you want to start it and put in what you will, I will elaborate, you follow up, and then I'll finish off as we get within sight of Pelargir. Sound alright? I'm sorry it has taken so long...:P As this may therefore take a while, I suggest that, instead of posting all of this in that save post that you have put up, that we instead put a sort of "see post #[whatever]" and continue further down the thread. If made clear, this shouldn't cause too much confusion, even if it does put the chronological nature of the thread somewhat out of joint. I'd just like to do this properly - no sense in rushing when you've got something potentially uite juice to write on. Did any of the rest of that make sense? I hope so.

~*~

Amanaduial the archer's post

After Chakka had left his rooms, barely moments had gone by before Rakin himself had been forced to follow the slave out of the door, but this time up to the deck, accompanied by the sound of the clanging alarm bells. A slave escape – no, a second slave escape, the second within twenty four hours. Finding himself in exactly the same position as he had been a quarter of an hour ago when he had dismissed Chakka from his presence, Rakin ground his teeth and glared once again out at the sea, rather more venomously this time. Of all the sheer bloody inadequacies! Forget the slave who had escaped: after two escapes within two shifts, it was his corsairs who’d be answering for this one…

“Captain, there…” The corsair who had entered thoughtlessly through the open door trailed away uneasily as Rakin failed to turn. Hesitating for a moment, he then rather belatedly shuffled a few steps back out of the door and, almost comically, knocked hesitantly. Rakin squeezed his eyes shut, then rolled them up to the ceiling and sent a vengeful prayer up to whichever god it was who was laughing at him. Give me clowns, give me jesters, but for gods’ sakes, give me strength – and don’t dress them up and pretend they’re able-bodied seamen!

Scowling darkly, Rakin swivelled around wordlessly to face the hapless messenger, a scrawny boy of about sixteen who quailed somewhat in the face of his sullen-faced captain. His adam’s apple bobbed uneasily as he mustered the words which had slipped out so carelessly a few moments previously. “C-Captain Rakin, there…” he swallowed and composed himself. Poor boy, Rakin thought, eyeing him critically: he only joined up to this ship a few weeks ago, and there were fully fledged corsairs aboard the ship who would quake to face Captain Chatazrakin when in such a foul disposition towards his crew. He raised an eyebrow darkly as he waited for the boy to stammer out the line. Am I simply getting old, or are we now to become a child-minding service? Finally, the corsair stammered out the words: Sangalazin was waiting.

“Lord Sangalazin? Well, we wouldn’t want to keep Lord Sangalazin waiting now, would we, hmm?” he replied, viciously. The hapless corsair in front of him, apparently unsure of whether to give a reply or not, bobbed his throat and quaked silently. Trying to contain his anger, Rakin ran his tongue around his teeth and took a deep breath, and strode towards the door. No…he would remain calm for now, he would keep his composure in front of Sangalazin. But after that… Rakin paused and turned elegantly in the doorway, only about a foot from the messenger, and snapping his fingers as if just remembering something, a noise that made the boy jump.

“Tell me, boy- name?” he snapped shortly. Gathering that yes, it was to him that Rakin was speaking and not to the walls, the boy replied, and Rakin continued. “—Menash, then. Tell me, Menash – do you know…who was on duty belowdecks with the slaves at about midnight, and then again at midday today?”

Menash hesitated, then replied slowly, “Well, last night it would have been…why, I’m not sure, one o’ them who—” his eyes lit up as he remembered. “Ah, it was Tachkan, wasn’t it? He’ll be resting at the bottom of the sea now though…”

Rakin treated Menash to the full glory of his cold fish stare, unblinkingly waiting for the boy to elaborate. “Well…I mean, after that slave escaped last night, he was found missing, along with another – the slave did for them, we reckon…”

Why, Chakka, you little- Chakka’s ancestors received a serious mental clouting from Rakin as he poured forth various vengeful thoughts upon everything to do with the slave from his forefathers to his fingers.

“…and then this morning, about midday – well, Cap’n, that would be me.”

“You, Menash? You were on duty at midday today?”

The boy nodded innocently. “Aye, Captain Rakin. Why, I just got off duty now…” he trailed off as Rakin gave a slow, grim smile and shook his head very slowly, his expression wolfish as he leant in towards Menash. “Oh, Menash, you have no idea how much that was the wrong answer.” And with that last threat, the Captain swept out of his chambers.

Last edited by piosenniel; 12-25-2005 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:11 PM   #364
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

~*~ Announcement ~*~

You are all invited to post in The Yule Log in Rohan. Just read Bêthberry’s introductory post and join in at The Green Man Free House for the next few weeks.

Come share a story of ghosties, and ghoulies, and sharp toothed goblins for the days of the Winter’s Yule while the fire burns bright and warm and the drink flows freely.

~*~ Pio
Old 01-02-2006, 02:45 PM   #365
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
They took my computer away again. I'm at the library right now.

*cries*

I'm really sorry guys for not being able to keep up to date on this. I just moved back to new orleans, and my house lacks vitals (heat, running water, internet).
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 01-04-2006, 03:35 PM   #366
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Perky

We'll see you when you return, O king!

Until then, I've asked Folwren to take the lead and begin to move the game forward.

~*~ Pio, game moderator
Old 01-04-2006, 04:22 PM   #367
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I don't have long to say anything, but I guess what's needed to be said is what's to happen next. . .

Corsairs, if you will, whatever of you are left, please do your fighting at Pelegir. Slaves. . .do whatever you want to do.

All of us Gondorians on ships and whatnot - write about today's sailing. Make conversation, prepare for battle. Next week, when I come back here (that is, next Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday, depending on how much people have written by then), we Gondorians will arrive to a ransacked and burning city.

And if anyone would like to disagree or argue, that's fine, too. . .just write something!

-- Folwren
Old 01-04-2006, 04:41 PM   #368
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I really need Hiriel to either turn up or be otherwise dealt with...

Aman, so relieved to see you back. We must play chess!

Ideally, actually, I'd like Sangalazin and his bodyguards (currently scavenging the ruins of Pelargir and about to treacherously attack Azaryan's Corsairs to steal their plunder when they least expect it!) to stumble on Azaryan and either do him in or think they've done him in. Obviously, though, I need Hiriel's permission or a consensus of players' agreement before I'll do such a thing.

Another plothook-the xebec is currently crewed only by a band of Sangalazin's Guards led by Andlang. Ideal for a slave revolt...which can perhaps be put down in the nick of time by Chatazrakin's returning plunderers...

What do people think of all this?
Old 01-04-2006, 05:02 PM   #369
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Thumbs up

About Hiriel's character

I’ve gotten no response back from Hiriel to my PM’s. And since Hiriel’s last post to the RPG was 10/27 and the last post to the Discussion Thread on 11/14 I’m going to declare the character of Lord Azaryan up for grabs for now.

Quote:
Ideally, actually, I'd like Sangalazin and his bodyguards (currently scavenging the ruins of Pelargir and about to treacherously attack Azaryan's Corsairs to steal their plunder when they least expect it!) to stumble on Azaryan and either do him in or think they've done him in. -- Anguirel
Please go ahead with this. It still leaves room should Hiriel resurface at some point.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio, game moderator
Old 01-04-2006, 05:03 PM   #370
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Sound excellent - scandal and treachery! I would expect nothing less of you Go with that, and I apologise: I will try to get up a post as soon as I can, tomorrow night ideally if I don't have too much homework and extra stuff. (Such as restringing my cello...ooohbother...)

Quote:
Aman, so relieved to see you back. We must play chess!
Indeed, over tea and crumpets apparently. Yeah, I heard that tone of voice. But yes, please do make that post - looking forward to this.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:08 PM   #371
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
With all these missing people, would it be an idea to maybe send a request out to see if any other Downer's want to take over the characters that are now ownerless? If this is a stupid idea feel free to ignore it, I just wondered if it might be worth it seeing as quite so many people seem to be disappearing.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:27 PM   #372
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Okay, I've finally the written the post that I've been meaning to write since, oh, before Christmas. I didn't see much point in prolonging battle planning, being that Perky is not here and I'm not much of a tactician. So Menelcar's off to find Hereric again.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:01 AM   #373
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Kath, I think finding a Chakka replacement would definitely be good, but I will have killed off Azaryan by midday!

EDIT: Firefoot, you seem to have mentioned the Gondorians possessing more NPC ships. Does this mean we Corsairs can have some too? Pretty please...

Last edited by Anguirel; 01-05-2006 at 03:04 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:58 AM   #374
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I don't see why not. I had already assumed you had some, anyway.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:01 AM   #375
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Rereading what pio said, maybe I should make Azaryan's death more ambiguous. But I like what I've done so I'll wait to be specifically prodded...
Old 01-05-2006, 08:53 AM   #376
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I haven't gone and read what's been added to the RPG itself yet, but before I left this thread, I figured I could voice an idea that just popped into my head.

Kath, I think it's a good idea to try to find replacements for our players. Evidently, it seems that Fordim's the most missed (at this point). . .we could try getting Arry into it. He's just finished an RPG, and I don't think. . .though I'm not possitive. . .I don't think he's in any other game in the Shire at present.

Now, off to read the RPG. . . see what Firefoot's been doing on my ship.

-- Folwren
Old 01-05-2006, 09:04 AM   #377
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Another plothook-the xebec is currently crewed only by a band of Sangalazin's Guards led by Andlang. Ideal for a slave revolt...which can perhaps be put down in the nick of time by Chatazrakin's returning plunderers...

What do people think of all this?
I haven't heard of Eorl of Rohan for ages, so it seems that I'm the only slave character around for now. I feel so lonely...

This would be a good chance for Jagar to try to follow Ferethor's plan ie. steal liquor in order to set the ship on fire at some point. I could write that during this weekend. I don't know about a real revolt, but maybe Jagar could persuade a few other slaves to make some mischief and help him with his task. What do you think?
Old 01-05-2006, 01:46 PM   #378
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Anguirel

A well done death . . . let it stand.

~*~ Pio
Old 01-05-2006, 04:20 PM   #379
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Lol, haven't yet read your post, Anguiriel, but yes, ambiguousity (I dub thee a new word!) would probably be good: allow for gruesome twists of plot. Muahaha.

Kath - not at all a stupid idea! And do you know, I have the perfect player in mind, although she may be a little less than willing at first - I shall PM her directly to see whether she would be willing to. I'll PM Arry as well - well suggested, he's another player I particularly enjoy writing with - and the two of them...well, first come first served over who gets Chakka and who gets Ferethor - Chakka is a more developed character, plot and history wise, but Ferethor has a fair amount of potential. Missing anyone else? Would it be appropriate to take over Perky's character, or can he be carried?
Old 01-05-2006, 04:27 PM   #380
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I haven't seen Dunwen around in a while. Anyone seen him/her?
Old 01-08-2006, 08:43 AM   #381
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Ok, I PM'd Arry and Durelin (both excellent RPGers who are currently RPG-less) about the possibility of taking up the characters of Chakka or Ferethor...

Durelin said she would like to play, but wasn't sure whether she would have the time; she is currently considering. I hope she will want to come in and take on one of the characters, but we'll have to see how it goes there.
Arry, on the other hand, said he would like to play - but doesn't want to take on the roles of either Ferethor or Chakka. However, he suggested the possibility of creating a new slave character which he would formulate a profile for and join in with sometime next week. Is this alright with everyone?

It is understandably quite awkward to come onto a game with the intention of playing a ready-made character who has already made a few posts - especially Chakka, as Fordim was such a busy bee with alliances and sub-plots all over the shop. I'll try a few other RPGers to see whether they would like to take on either slave role. I will also PM Dunwen to see if she's still alive and/or interested
Old 01-08-2006, 03:36 PM   #382
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'll just pop a note very quickly here... If it is alright, I can take on the role of either slave character. I'll have to read up on the RPG thread more (I would have done so before, but I've just finally finished a paper that was killing me), and I can get situated. I don't really have a preference for character, so if you find someone else interested, Aman, they can get first dibs. But I've taken over characters before...I just can't always promise to give them back.

-Durelin
Old 01-08-2006, 03:42 PM   #383
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Put it this way: Eorl seems to have done a runner, and Fordim...well, Fordim will be rather busy for, well, the next eighteen years No, but seriously, if you're taking on this character I don't think you'll be asked to give it back. And I would love it if you would play in this game, Durelin. And I would like someone experienced to take over Chakka, because he is so "meaty" as Arry put it, whether you or another experienced RPG player, even if he isn't exactly the style of most of the other characters who I've seen you play, Durelin.

Last edited by Amanaduial the archer; 01-08-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:34 PM   #384
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Durelin, it'll be nice to have you on board which ever character you take! Arry, you too. Can't wait to see your character.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:57 AM   #385
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Here's my character bio. If it seems acceptable to the other players, then I'll go ahead and place a post on the game. If it's not what you're looking for, let me know and I'll withdraw the character.

-- Arry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arry’s character

NAME: Aboard the Fame and Fortune, he is known simply as ‘Boy’ (His birth name was Bahir; a later pet name – Jarah)

RACE: A youth from one of the wandering desert tribes, southeast of Umbar

WEAPONS: A scavenged iron ship’s nail, 7 inches long, hidden in the braided hair wrapped beneath his ragged turban

APPEARANCE: A lithely muscled young man, with a dancer’s body. Of medium height; honey colored skin; pleasant, engaging, facial features; deep, dark brown eyes with long dark lashes. Wears knee length pants made of sail cloth and a loose threadbare tunic cast off by sailor. Feet bare. Hair long – just below his shoulders, black, straight, worn in a coil beneath his ragged turban. Despite his poor circumstances, he keeps himself as neat and presentable as he can.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Charming, manipulative, self-centered, strong penchant for self-preservation; a great appetite for a more comfortable, a more pleasurable, life. And the willingness to pursue the course of action necessary to attain it.

HISTORY: Boy was born into a large family. His parents were poor, eking out a meager life for themselves and their brood. They wove the rushy mats used in the tribe’s tents and a few utilitarian type baskets. The name his mother gave him as a baby was Bahir. In the tongue of the dessert people it meant ‘brilliant and dazzling’. And when he smiles, which is rare these days, it is easy to understand why she called him this - the planes of his face arrange themselves into a beguiling elegance.

From an early age, Bahir’s parents put him in front of their stall at the marketplace, his smile and charm put to good use to bring in customers. When he was twelve, he caught the eye of one of the sheik’s stewards. The sheik liked to surround himself with beautiful objects of all sorts. Bahir’s main duties were to pass the silver trays of sweetmeats and fragrant tea to the sheik’s many visitors. Off times from his duties found him often as the pet of his master’s wives. He was taught to sing their favorite songs and play the reed flute to pass the time during the long hot afternoons. He had a high, pure voice, then. ‘As sweet to the ears as a medjool date to the tongue,’ the sheik’s first wife would say as she lolled on her cushions. And so came his second name . . . Jarah . . . ‘sweet as honey’. Life had been good, then, for Bahir. And he settled into it with ease and the assurance of the young that it would stretch forever before him.

As jackals in the night, the slave-raiders had come when he was barely thirteen. They’d struck his tribe when the sheik and many of the warriors were away on a hunt. What guards were left had been overpowered, killed. And many of the wives and children had been spirited away to the coastal towns, sold to the highest bidders.

Bahir had been put in with a group of young men being haggled over by the first mate of the Fame and Fortune. He was taken on as a ship’s boy, a general galley slave. Too young to man the oars, he brought the water and what passed as food to the other slaves, ran errands, fetched what the crew desired, climbed the riggings when ordered to secure lines . . . and all at a pace quick enough to keep him from those who might mean him harm. He spoke little, his eyes and ears taking in all they could; his mind bending what he learned to his own use.

He has been aboard the Fame amd Fortune, now, for three years. He chafes at the constraint, the relentless bleakness of it and misses sorely his life of ease and grace. He does not mean to live his life out on this ship; to be used up and dumped overboard for the sharks to find.

Last edited by Arry; 01-09-2006 at 04:01 AM.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:27 PM   #386
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Providing no one has any objections, welcome on board, Arry. Pun unintended... Just to check...Bahir is almost more like a kinda lowly member of the crew than a slave in ways?

I really like that character actually, interesting for a few reasons...Anguiriel, Arry, check your PMs
Old 01-09-2006, 03:51 PM   #387
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

SAVE filled

Longer than most I usually write - but since it is my character's first, I needed to work a few things into it . . .

-- Arry
Old 01-10-2006, 01:40 AM   #388
Dunwen
Wight

Dunwen has just left Hobbiton.
Checking back in

Hello all,

I am actually, truly, finally back after an unexpectedly busy holiday season. Am I still allowed to play or have I become persona non grata ? Just in case you are still speaking to me, I'm off to catch up on the game and hopefully prepare a post.

Sincere thanks to all of you who have kept this game afloat!

--Dunwen
Old 01-10-2006, 06:54 AM   #389
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Welcome back, Dunwen! Don't worry about it, RL does come first really...Your character remains unfilled, so if you do want to come back...thanks for returning, it's good to see you back.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:41 AM   #390
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Don't worry, Dunwen, we, common soldiers, haven't had much to do lately*; you've missed nothing.

(* of course we could have done something if we had wanted. I'm not saying we're unimportant. And I'm not complaining , other things have kept me busy.)
Old 01-10-2006, 10:34 AM   #391
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Would anyone object if the Gondorian's landed at Pelagir tomorrow or Thursday? If you want to do anything before that, let me know - or just write it.

Welcome, Arry and Durelin!! So glad to have you both!

-------------------

Firefoot. . .Menelcar's thoughts are so insulting. I'm getting confused about my own character. . .whether he's really quite as bad as you're making him out to be. l)

-- Folwren
Old 01-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #392
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Give us Corsairs time to see your approaching fleet and get back on board sharpish.

How is the battle going to proceed after that? I take it it won't be a straight bang-bang defeat for us, as that would bring the RP to a rather premature conclusion. I imagine something like-

Fame and Fortune escapes with possible carry-along NPC ships sunk

Gondorians pursue right up to Umbar

Final defeat of Corsairs, either by sea or in the city itself
Old 01-10-2006, 11:20 AM   #393
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Fame and Fortune escapes with possible carry-along NPC ships sunk

Gondorians pursue right up to Umbar

Final defeat of Corsairs, either by sea or in the city itself
Yes, that's what I was figuruing.

How many ships do you all have there at Pelagir? If it's only two or three, it will be a quick battle there in the bay. Then we Gondorians will stay where we are until the very few damages are fixed and then we'll give pursuit.

We'll wait for you, then, to do what you need to.

-- Folwren
Old 01-10-2006, 11:34 AM   #394
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Well, if Aman agrees, I think three NPC ships should be enough for you to whet your rams on...though naturally they'll conveniently decommission your NPC ships as they go down!

Then we'll have a straight Raca/Cuivie vs F & F chase, which will remove a world of confusion...
Old 01-10-2006, 03:11 PM   #395
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Well, if Aman agrees, I think three NPC ships should be enough for you to whet your rams on...though naturally they'll conveniently decommission your NPC ships as they go down!

Then we'll have a straight Raca/Cuivie vs F & F chase, which will remove a world of confusion...
My dear old chap, if you think three of your NPC ships is going to help maim Gondor's entire fleet of NPC ships, you may find yourself sadly mistaken.

Till later, though. . .

-- Folwren
Old 01-10-2006, 03:49 PM   #396
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Quote:
Firefoot. . .Menelcar's thoughts are so insulting. I'm getting confused about my own character. . .whether he's really quite as bad as you're making him out to be. l)
Folwren - Please, please don't take any meaning out of Menelcar's thoughts - it's certainly no reflection of what I think of him (or your writing). Menelcar's rather prejudiced and extremely misguided - he's going to see wrong whatever way you go, unless something drastic happens. For example:
Quote:
Menelcar thought he detected some resentment. Yet Hereric never seemed to do anything about it, leading Menelcar to the conclusion that the man was weak-willed
If Hereric openly showed dislike and disrespect, Menelcar would have found him insulting, disrespectful, conflict-loving... Menelcar's certainly not the type of guy I'd want to hang around with. (In a way, he's almost worse than Grimkul and Ulwakh... )

But he may come around. Maybe.

Can't wait for the battle, everyone!
Old 01-10-2006, 03:50 PM   #397
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pardon the suggestion of a lowly slave boy -

There is about a 75 mile stretch of straight river from Pelargir northwards toward where the Gondorian fleet is coming from (Atlas of Middle-earth - Fonstad). Wouldn't the brilliant captain of the corsairs have lookouts on the highest masts?

And such a lookout could send out a retreat call - horns, drums, etc - saying the fleet is in sight.

That way the corsairs would have a head start.

By the way - how many ships are we looking at for the Gondorian Navy? and how many for the Corsairs?
Old 01-10-2006, 03:55 PM   #398
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

It sounds like the Corsairs have 4-5 ships. I'm not sure about the Gondorians, but I've been picturing it as somewhere in the 7-9 range.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:08 PM   #399
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Arry, I've no idea how soon, exactly, the Gondorain ships will be spotted, but you are entirely correct to think that we will be seen long before we are close enough to start attacking. However, there is no way that the Corsairs will be able to get into battle array on their own ships to get a terribly great start. beyond that, they'll also have to take time leaving the bay that they're in, and heading down river. The Gondorian ships will already be well on their way and won't need extra time speeding up.

To you and Firefoot both. . . and everyone, I guess: If the ships behind the Cuivie is indeed the entire Gondorian fleet, I should imagine that there are at least ten ships, if not more. . . at least. I'm not willing to give an exact number, because there might be others here who know more about the history of Gondor's fleet in that time. I've gotten the impression that it's fairly large. I don't know how to compare it to this world's number of ships, though, and even if I did, I can only draw information on the Brittish Navy during the Napoleanic Wars, at which time, it was the greatest fleet in the world. Gondor, as I understand, would, at his time, have the greatest navy, too. . .but I still don't know how many ships that would make.

Firefoot: Have no fears! I'm not taking Menelcar's thoughts too much too heart, nor too seriously, and I'm not offended, if that's what's worrying you. But you'd better mind that he doesn't voice those thoughts to the Captian himself. . .there might be some problems then.

Anyway, I hope that answers everythign sufficiently. If anyone has any other doubts or questions, I'll do my best to answer. (At least any questions that have to do with my ship or the other Gondorian ships. )

-- Folwren
Old 01-10-2006, 06:26 PM   #400
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Quote:
If the ships behind the Cuivie is indeed the entire Gondorian fleet, I should imagine that there are at least ten ships, if not more. . . at least.
That makes sense. To go back to the source:
Quote:
But Telumehtar . . . gathered his forces and in 1810 took Umbar by storm.
That does sound like a lot of ships, now that I think about it. I too am now hesitant about a number - but "a lot" sounds like a good summary.
Quote:
But you'd better mind that he doesn't voice those thoughts to the Captian himself. . .there might be some problems then.
Oh don't worry... I'm sure he will eventually.