Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2002, 11:24 PM   #41
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

CHILD'S GENERAL BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

This is not meant for word-for-word inclusion in the fanfiction, just to give a sense of who Child is. Some of this data is slightly different than what I wrote in the RPG, so I'll have to do revisions.

My next task is to work on the piece of the story where Child finds the sea-hobbit information and decides to seek out Mithadan to find her lost kin.

For Child's past history, click on the thread which appears at the very end of this post.

By the way, the Brockhouses of Coombe, their friendship with Bilbo and their supposed ties to the Tooks, along with niece Angelica Baggins, appear in Return of the Shadow.

Here's a bit more on Child:

Appearance: brown curls streaked with grey which are held back by a ribbon; short and stocky; brown skin. A typical Harfoot except for the grey eyes which hearken back to that hidden Tookish strain.

Personality: Although very "hobbitlike" in outward appearance and habits, Child's personality has elements which seem strangely "Elvish". See #1-4 below.

1. Polite and with a decent sense of humor, but more reflective than the average kuduk.
2. Very observent of her surroundings except when she's dreaming, which initially occurs far too often.
3. Again, as the story begins, Child lives more in the past than the present. For her, the Star's most important lesson will be that, ironically, she must return to the past in order to learn how to live more fully in the present.
4. Child has occasional dreams and visions in which she outwardly puts little stock. How she feels inwardly is another matter.
5. Quiet with strangers, but a veritable font of words with those whom she knows well.

thread

[ September 12, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-12-2002, 02:02 PM   #42
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Child:

My backstory is of little importance but I still want to get it down right. I'm trying aline it with your story but I have a couple of quetions:

1. When do I start following you around?

2. Why?
Old 09-13-2002, 10:01 AM   #43
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Child & Pio,

I'm bungling forward on some guesswork; Child, is it okay to have Gamba's journal entries 14-19 stay where they are, or should I move them up to just behind Child & Ancalimon, where entry # 20 is? Your call.

--Helen
Old 09-13-2002, 10:50 AM   #44
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Helen - I would leave 14-19 where they are. I think you want to leave a little "time" between the letters and the actual place where you encounter Levanto. Should you move 20 back with 14-19? What do you think? Is there a special reason it needs to stand alone? (Perhaps something in the later story line?) sharon
Old 09-13-2002, 11:19 AM   #45
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

I think so. If we decide, no, later on, it can be moved back.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:41 AM   #46
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Sounds fine to me! sharon

p.s. I haven't forgotten those early revisions but probably won't get to them till next Tuesday.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:43 PM   #47
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Helen here:
I'll be away this weekend. If the hobbits come on board the star (no idea how fast things will happen) then right after Phura boards, I need a scene reserved. If I'm not here and it's flying by could somebody reserve me a spot? thanks. --Helen
Old 09-13-2002, 01:36 PM   #48
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

No need to hurry the hobbits on to the boats. We can do that next week. The swan ships will take several days to get here; Pio will have more discussions with Mithadan and Ancalimon to tweak the plan. Pio still needs to decide where to place her key people for the osanwe transfer. Child, Rose, and Bird still need to go after the stray hobbits along the coast.

Child, while you are on your hobbit gathering mission with Rose and Bird, do you want to stumble on some spies of The Giver of Gifts (Sauron) and barely get away without being found out?

HELEN - I PM'd you about going ahead with the intitial meeting of the elders and Levanto - after that he can respond to them, and then return to the ship to tell Pio of his findings. There should still be a few more trips for him to set things up for the final rescue. Also, perhaps the elders could give him info on how often the guards patrol and when they are most present, and how they are armed.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:42 PM   #49
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
Child, while you are on your hobbit gathering mission with Rose and Bird, do you want to stumble on some spies of The Giver of Gifts (Sauron) and barely get away without being found out?
I think we should. We've all been stuck on a boat for a long time. We should put in some excightment.
Old 09-13-2002, 02:33 PM   #50
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Yes, that sounds fine about the spies of Sauron. I have just one problem. I won't be doing much posting tonight (Friday), Saturday (day), or Sunday night, or Monday (day). I won't be hurt if you go ahead without me. I should be on Satrday night and Sunday day. We better bring our weapons just in case! sharon
Old 09-13-2002, 02:36 PM   #51
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Don't know how fast this will go since Helen and I both seem tied up, but please make sure both Gamba and Phura are assigned to come onto the Star if we get that far. Thanks. Sharon
Old 09-13-2002, 03:35 PM   #52
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Isn't the next step after Levanto's initial contact to have Ancalimon tell about the first choosing? I'll try to do that this weekend one way or another. sharon
Old 09-13-2002, 04:51 PM   #53
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Just wanted to let everyone know that Rose is working on her background story and she and I are throwing around ideas. I am afraid we have another orphan! (Sorry Bird!) She wants to be free to choose which way to go at the end of the story. I fill a role similar to that of guardian. When I inherited from my aunt Amalda, I also "inherited" Rose who is her grandaughter.

We will give more details later.

sharon

[ September 13, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-14-2002, 11:23 AM   #54
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Child, you triple posted on the RPG thread. Some are edited and some are not, so I didn't delete any.

Everyone, we're on the 20th page whixh is where the first thread cut off. Keep this in mind and be prepared to start a fourth and presumably final thread.
Old 09-14-2002, 11:51 AM   #55
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Quote:
What say we focus on a hobbit centered adventure, maybe with Frodo, Sam, Rose,Stacy, Primrose, Child, and the dragon, Angara. Something light and fun!! Anyone got an idea for a lead in from here?
I was looking for some information on our older stories - and found one of my last posts on the original Party thread. Too funny!

We did indeed do a hobbit centered story, but light and fun?! - I think not!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ September 14, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-14-2002, 11:59 AM   #56
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dűm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

O yes, freeing hobbits from the dominion of a crazed King of Numenor is especially fun. And what's more, we may be able to hack down a few of the accursed guards! And I'm thinking Khelek and Veritas get to stand by calmly yet again?

No, but I'm thinking, Sauron is still on the island as the fleet leaves, presumbly westwards. Won't he get news of our save and try to hinder us? I don't think he would want anyone to get on Numenor without a fight. And another thing: Elendil flees eastward as Numenor is engulfed. Will we be doing a time-shift as soon as the hobbits are onboard, or will we face the onslaught of storm in the Second Age?
Old 09-14-2002, 12:47 PM   #57
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

GREAT WARG

Pio will soon be making boat assignments. Where would you like to be placed?

(Note the whole rescue operation will not take place until probably next Tuesday when Child can be back with us - not to mention the ships and the Teleri have not arrived as yet, and Levanto has several more trips to make to the caves.)

There will be 20 elven ships plus the Star. the Star will have to be positioned in the southern bay into which the River Siril drains. Veritas will have to be on that ship with the crystal. Angara will also probably stay there.

The 20 Telerin ships will go quickly upriver to receive the hobbits. Pio, Child, and Rose will assuredly be on the lead swan ship. Anacalimon will be asked to be further down the line, if not stay on the Star. He should not engage the 'enemy' in physical combat at this time.

I'm not sure which ship Mithadan wants to be on.

Pio needs to have the strong osanwe links she has already forged when she tried her previous boat lifting experience. They will assist her in this larger operation, especially if it has to be done quickly and in the midst of some battle encounter.

As to Sauron- in 'The Akallabęth'(the Sil), he is on the island until the island is submerged:

Quote:
For Sauron himself was filled with great fear at the wrath of the Valar, and the doom that Eru laid upon the sea and land. It was greater far than aught he had looked for, hoping only for the death of the Númenoreans and the defeat of their proud king . . . even as he laughed at his own thought, thinking what he would do now in the world, being rid of the Edain forever, he was taken in the midst of his mirth, and his seat and his temple fell into the abyss.
This is, of course, when his spirit rises out of the deep and passes as a shadow and black wind over the sea to Mordor.

Yes, once the hobbits are on board, we will shift immediately back to the safety of the Fourth Age, get the ailing hobbits back to a semblance of health, and then proceed on to the last of our story - where the hobbits are offered the choice of becoming hobbrim or staying hobbits (As I recall this will be on the now isolated small island which was formerly the top of Meneltarma.)Then eventually we will take the hobbits back to the early Third Age where they will at some time migrate back to the Shire. (I am a little unclear how this will all work out - I'm a one crisis at a time sort of person. But since all our other crises have worked themselves out, I have great faith that this one will,too!) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ September 14, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-14-2002, 02:44 PM   #58
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I think that Mith will accompany the crew to Numenor. I will also not be posting much until Tuesday.
Old 09-14-2002, 03:31 PM   #59
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dűm

Question

Alright then. It will be a long, uneventful wait for them on the Star, however. The storyline will work itself out (hopefully). But if they are to be led to the region of the Shire, then they will need someone who knows where it is... and that would have to be one of the hobbits that are with us... oh Child, are you really planning to leave us? Well, some hobbit's going to have to do this task. And here I am worrying myself! Let our fate decide our paths!
Old 09-14-2002, 05:31 PM   #60
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

CHILD'S NOT GOING ANYWHERE WITHOUT ME!
*crosses arms and puts on a stubborn look*
Old 09-14-2002, 05:45 PM   #61
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Regarding stumbling onto spies--Might it be possible to assume that Sauron would have had his minions down watching the shoreline to see if any Elven ships would appear through the back door--the eastern side of the island. If so, he would have attempted to "hijack" these Elven ships.

When the spies see the small boats accompanied by two hobbits in the water, they would be very curious since all hobbits were thought to be in prison. They would come down to take a look, and see the hobbrim actually speaking with us. Until that time, the hobbrim were taken as "animals", non-sentient beings, by other people in Numenor whenever they were briefly glimpsed (even those glimpses were rare.)

Seeing the hobbrim speak, the spies would then know they were sentient beings. We would have to kill them all. Otherwise, they would take the news of the hobbrim back to Sauron. Plus, they'd be trying to grab Rose, and Daisy, and Child to haul them away to prison. Hopefully, they will fail as we, together with the hobrim , will kill them.

Dos this sound ok? How many baddies can we kill? Any suggestions.

About the post, I'll check. Every time I tried to send it though I got one of those website not available notices (504?). I finally copied it elsewhere and got out of the site. I checked back and saw two posted, but maybe there were more. (I did erase 1) sharon
Old 09-14-2002, 06:13 PM   #62
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What about Angara and me? Am I gonna be a dragon, or a dolphin? Or should I turn into a Neekerbreeker and try to stay out from underfoot? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2002, 06:44 PM   #63
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

I thought that Sauron did not know about either the hobbits or the hobbrim? Is that incorrect?

I should think that one or two spies could be taken care of by the intrepid hobbrim finders. Remember to hide the bodies!

(You realize, of course, that 'Mithadan' may have a stroke when you leave the ship on your adventure - and when you tell him about killing the spies, I'll have to use the Automatic External Defibrillator on him!)

BIRD - shouldn't you probably be in human form when you go with Child on the hobbrim mission, then you can change into some other form as needed. Angara really shouldn't go - she is supposed to also be kept hidden.
Old 09-14-2002, 08:00 PM   #64
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Oh, OK. I can do that.

Hey, how come Mith didn't give me a sword? (Bird steps on brick sidewalk and falls flat on her face.)
Old 09-14-2002, 08:03 PM   #65
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dűm

Question

But why would the King of Numenor keep the hobbits imprisoned, if it weren't for Sauron? Also, Child touched on the point I was making: if he did know, he would be guarding the east side. Though we would perhaps have to create an explanation for why he did not just kill the hobbits.

I don't mind killing and fighting. I don't mind if we kill heaps of Sauron's guards. Let them pay for their cruelty! Er - sorry - instinctual thing. But the problem is, we cannot spare much time. We will either have to hit and run, or kill all of the guards there first. But then we would have to make sure messages weren't sent to Sauron first, or that no guards slipped away. It will make it definitely harder to do a time-shift so soon, or else we will face the perilous wrath of the Lords of the Sea.

Edit: Bird: I think we can see why he did not give you one. But you are dangerous enough without it, as a skin-changer. Change into a dragon, and you'll send the guards crying for mercy.

[ September 14, 2002: Message edited by: GreatWarg ]
Old 09-14-2002, 08:31 PM   #66
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

(Somebody asked about getting the hobbits back to the Shire, did I hear? Not our problem. We need to get them to the banks of the Anduin, where they will dwell anonymously and harmlessly for a while. (Ancestors also of Smeagol, Deagol...) When The Necromancer starts making Mirkwood a Nasty place, (Third Age 1150 plus or minus a century or so) they will migrate over the Misty Mountains down the Hoarwell & Bruinien, and thence eventually westward to Bree and The Shire.)
Old 09-14-2002, 08:34 PM   #67
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

I don't think Sauron gave a rip about the island. He was so focused on bringing down the mighty Edain and their King. He would have urged all the ships join in the trip West.

What would he have mustered for his own navy - several old fishing vessels? I can see him having spies about, but not ships and soldiery.

I thought we covered why Ar-Pharazon captured the hobbits (or was that just in our emails?) and we haven't worked that into the actual story as yet. Anyone know?

We are planning a hit and run on the caves - Levanto will get the hobbits ready to meet us as soon as we have landed and killed the guards (whose schedules, numbers, armaments we should know by then from his meetings with the elders). Once the hobbits are loaded, and the guards dispatched, we are immediately transporting to the Second Age, one year later than the Fall of the Isle. We will be in position then to deposit the hobbits on the small isle that is now Meneltarma, and I'm thinking (correct me if I'm wrong) that then the choosing will occur then for those hobbits who want to become hobbrim (did I get that right? Or is the choosing just before we transport them back to the Third Age - which will include the choosing, then, that Child and Rose have to do).

Bird - see Pio, she will give you a sword if you wish - she remembers how you 'loved' wielding one against the demon lover! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2002, 11:58 PM   #68
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Pio -- I don't care when the second choosing is, but I think there should only be one. This is the point where all decisions are made---sort of a sorting out of the kin. Hobbits to the left who want to be hobbrim. Hobbits to the right who want 3rd century Anduin. And any hobbit from the Star who wants to return to the 4th age, just drop out of line!

I have a feeling that the Star hobbits are all going bye, bye. Kali is obvious, and Child. Rose will probably want to come with me. We discussed this in her background info, and how she'd have to have no family left in order to make that choice. I am her guardian. Daisy, we originally saw Daisy as a hobbrim. Any second thoughts?

Oh, yeah, I asked Helen to free up a hobbit or two for adoption when I go to the Third Age. But she's being very industrious, and there seem to be plenty to pick from! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I do think some things were left out of the thread, but were in our pms. The main thing was that Ar-pharazon acted on his own because he had a copy of Morgoth's memo. He kept all this secret from Sauron. We did not want the hobbits brought to Sauron's attention in any significant way. Great Warg sent me a pm asking about this.

Pio -- How should we get that info to the reader? Could it come out in the tactical discussions you're having with Mith, or with one of the other Elves? I don't think this is something Child would be terribly aware of--Pio would be more likely. Please advise.

Bird-- I'm looking forward to our little adventure. Couldn't you just incinerate the bodies?? How many do we get to knock off? Child is practicing very hard with her weapons.

sharon

sharon
Old 09-15-2002, 03:53 AM   #69
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Child,
FYI, I'm going to un-sacrifice "Phura's Azra" 's parents (how DO they tell the nieces from the aunts?) because I suddenly remembered I need them after all for the Second Choosing scene. I'll bump off Esta's parents instead-- now I gotta make more names up for her siblings. Sheesh.

--Helen
Old 09-15-2002, 04:30 AM   #70
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Hobbrim don't have gills? (panic) I thought they did. How did Kali stay underwater so long in Sunken Gondolin then? And why would Ulmo need to do anything special to them? I thought they were amphibious.

Won't the violence of the flood be enough to kill them in their waterside caves? They wuold still need rescue even if they did have gills. (?)
Old 09-15-2002, 05:51 AM   #71
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I thought Hobbrim could just hold thier breath really long.

As for killing spys, I'm sure Rose is gonna be very clumbsy. It sounds like fun though.
Old 09-15-2002, 12:37 PM   #72
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Helen

The mer-people don't have gills, either. I don't think we have to get too scientific about this. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2002, 12:40 PM   #73
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Helen - regarding orphans, aunts, etc.--whatever you think will work.

To all:I have added two sentences to Ancalimon's story. This indicates Sauron does not understand he hobbits' importance and that Ar-pharazon learned of this by discovering Morgoth's ancient command. sharon
Old 09-15-2002, 12:43 PM   #74
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Child

About Ar-Pharazôn's hiding of the hobbits - Pio can share that info with Mithadan when they talk about their concerns over Sauron and if they must prepare to defend against him.

Quote:
How should we get that info to the reader? Could it come out in the tactical discussions you're having with Mith, or with one of the other Elves? I don't think this is something Child would be terribly aware of--Pio would be more likely
Old 09-15-2002, 12:46 PM   #75
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dűm

Question

Drop the science, Tolkien never really said anything about the anatomy of Elves, Men, and hobbits. Therefore we do not really need to say anything about mer-men, hobbrim, and what-naught. So long as we don't make any false conclusions.

Child - Okay, thanks for clarifying that. I wasn't all too sure about these things.

Rose - Maybe you can use Kettle of Fish to fight? I'm sure they won't mind! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Pio - Okay, so long as the reader has an idea of what Ar-Pharazon was thinking. It wouldn't do to show only one side of the story.

Edit: Child - We accidentaly poted our messages at the same time. I altered my message so that they fit together. Perhaps it can be the same situation in two different points of view?

[ September 15, 2002: Message edited by: GreatWarg ]
Old 09-15-2002, 01:05 PM   #76
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Hobbrim and Mer-Men absorb oxygen from the water through their skin.

I, Ulmo, have spoken.
Old 09-15-2002, 01:29 PM   #77
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Thank you Ulmo. I will alter the post (Ancalimon's story) to say that the hobbrim can't stay or they will get flattened! that shuld cover it. Nobody wants flat hobbrim. That will be Tuesday though

Great Warg--- I changed mine too. I'll have a look and see if anything needs more changing.

GreatWarg -- I checked it out. LOL. We double posted and then double edited! My main concern was to go talk with Mith. Let's leave them as is. We can always blend them together in the fanfiction. I want to make certain Mith knows I'm banging on his door. sharon

[ September 15, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-15-2002, 02:38 PM   #78
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
Hobbrim and Mer-Men absorb oxygen from the water through their skin.
I, Ulmo, have spoken.
So Hobbrim are really a cross between a Hobbit and a frog? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2002, 02:59 PM   #79
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

That's right. Originally they were called Hopprims.
Old 09-15-2002, 03:09 PM   #80
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

So funny I'm gonna croak!*groan* I get dizzy just from reading your discush. Will you be needing another thread? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Bethberry