The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-31-2004, 10:54 AM   #1
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Tolkien and the World of Art

As I browse the hither and yons of these forums, I see many a thread on the subject of comparing the works of John R.R. Tolkein to famous and spectacular tales, songs, poems, ancient epics, and all manner of media medium save one. I speak of, to be blunt, art. Over the centuries, so many works of art have been depicted of the grandness that is Lord of the Rings (as well as all other pieces of literature by him). So, here is a thread in which we may discuss the significance these artistic masterpieces.

I will leave the floor open, but begin the discussion with this:
Vincent Van Gogh's stunning 'Olorin On Orthanc'

This work is not one of my personal favorites, but still a masterwork from the renowned, semi-suicidal artiste who shot his own ear off. You can see the arching blackness of the brushstrokes that make up Isengard, the gratuitous heavenly lightshow of Saruman of the Many Colors (brilliantly depicted with explosive-remiscent burts of bright color), and the meager uruk hovels in the Ring of Isengard below.

Note and Postscript: I encourage all to post their opinions on the good or evil of this and other works. If anyone has such a piece they wish to share, do not hesitate to do so and discuss. If no one else can summon up another work, I have a veritable cornucopia up my 'ginormous' sleeves. Awaiting replies...

Final Postscript: If any version of such a thread has been covered before, alert me posthaste!

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 11:12 AM   #2
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

Well, actually, if i had to pick a place, i wouldn't say Isengard. I would say Minas Morgul because the black thingie is the city, and the village is Osgiliath. The stars could be the signal. But that's just my thoughts!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 01:12 PM   #3
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

tar-ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
I have long wondered why no art historian has undertaken a serious study of the vast body of work depicting Middle-Earth.

Examples abound, of course. In addition to the aforementioned Olorin on Orthanc, let us not forget Michelangelo's great sculpture Finrod This work is an idealized depiction of one of the greatest of the Firstborn, though unfortunately better known today by another name. During the recent restoration of the sculpture it became clear to all involved that its true subject was not, in fact, the biblical David, but instead the great Felagund. The confusion as to the name of the sculpture arises from a centuries-old poor translation from the Elvish, in which "Felagund" was misread as "stone-thrower." Art historians will no doubt rush to correct the hundreds of texts which name this sculpture incorrectly.
tar-ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 02:06 PM   #4
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Oho, a fan of the classics. What discussions we might share, tar-ancalime. Interesting thought, Perky Ent. Historical art has oft been interpreted incorrectly, so perhaps you are right about VVG's actual painting being a representation of Minas Morgul. Very astute, my friend.

In my most humble opinion, Michelangelo may have been one of the most avid depictors of Arda's art. Perhaps because he, as a contributor to great art long ago, lived in a time that was close to the ages of Middle-Earth itself. He, unlike some others, tended to shy away from overly vivid, semi-abstractisms, and head towards blunt yet magnificent interpretations by epitomizing characters from Middle-Earth in his pieces. Below, I cite a few examples to further the credibility of my case;

Pater Denethore est Filum: A work on Grecian canvas depicting the unseen side of Steward Denethor of Gondor, reading the tale of his own father, Ecthelion, to his sons, Faramir and Boromir. Though the piece is one of tenderness from father to son, critiques have noted the sour look on Denethor's face and the unsettling absence of Finduilas. The naive look of the two sons is considered foreshadowing. Notice how Boromir is, very visibly, in front of younger Faramir?

Curunir: One of Michelangelo's most famous. The immortal depiction of Saruman as he condemns Gandalf and the Rohirrim from atop mighty Orthanc. At the right, in his shadow, are a pair of orcs, for their faces are unseen. At left, just behind Saruman, is the obvious figure of Grima Wormtongue cowering. This visage was so powerful, that's its meaning was completely forgotten. Many pointed out that the picture might in fact have been Gandalf, since the robe of the depicted Maiar is white, rather than multicolored.

Maternity and Hope: This is another one of the more thought-provoking, gentle images. It's title, 'Maternity and Hope' gives away the characters within. The female is Gilraen, while the child in her arms is Estel, which means 'hope.' Many have speculated as to why young Elessar seems so protective of his mother in this statuary work, others state that the child, despite being a child, already looks ready to lead, and heap further praises upon Michelangelo for his accurate depiction of the once-and-future king.

Old 06-01-2004, 06:48 AM   #5
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Has anyone else visited Madrid? A host of huge, famous art galleries there are in that famous city. However, Tolkien art is harder to find. You cannot find it in the city centre or anywhere near the tourist hotspots. You must delve deep into the city, but its worth the effort let me tell you.

There is a small museum called Borja Ignacio some 2 miles away from the city centre which contains some truly wonderful, if less well-known, paintings by Pablo Picasso. If you think his other pictures are weird, just wait until you check out his version of Treebeard. Oh my!

Kudos for starting this topic Kransha.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:34 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
White Tree

There's a wonderful Gallerie l'Arte du'Tolkien on the Tolkien Sarcasm Page - enjoy!

Thanks for a fun thread, Kransha!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 08:33 AM   #7
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

tar-ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Ah, Picasso. One of the great portrayers of Arda. The painting that comes most to mind is the gorgeous Les Demoiselles d'Imladris.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:15 AM   #8
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Andy Warhol - Flowers of Middle-earth

Elanor

Simbelmyne

Seregon

Last edited by The Barrow-Wight; 06-01-2004 at 02:13 PM.
The Barrow-Wight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 11:57 AM   #9
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Another example is A. Edelfelt's "The Wife of the Steward of Gondor". There is Finduilas with her firstborn, Boromir, sitting in a quiet chamber in Minas Tirith. Well, we all know that the "original" name (Queen Bianca) is fake or at least incorrect. First and foremost there were no kings or queens in Gondor at that time so the poor artist must have been mistaken.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:28 PM   #10
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.

Matisse captures the awakening of the Elves beneath the stars . . .
Old 06-01-2004, 01:10 PM   #11
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

An unknown Roman artist truly captured the look of Aragorn before the gates of the Morannon. The small figure clinging to him is quite metaphoric to that of the people of Middle-Earth, who he must protect.

Leader of Men
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 02:12 PM   #12
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Arwen Evenstar, walking the woods of Lothlorien after the death of Aragorn

See how sad she looks as she enters the Golden Wood now empty, gone, and faded?

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 02:29 PM   #13
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Hmm, I really didn't expect this thread to 'thrive' as it has. I can't say I'm dissapointed, though. Estelyn, thanks for the link. I see the caretakers of that collection have also taken notice of Olorin on Orthanc, (despite the fact that they seem to be calling it Gandalf at Isengard, but it's the same principle).

Ah, abstraction, a bit of an oddity, but often does fanatical justice to many, harder-to-describe, scenes in the Tolkein compendium. One artiste who tried his hand at abstract art on Tolkein, despite being a normally realistic artist, was the antebellum painter and sketcher, Winslow Homer. He was one of the few artists who created a surplus of abstractorealistic art based around the Silmarillion.

Fountain and Fire: Ecthelion and Gothmog

This rather bizarre interpretation makes Ecthelion as a soldier, with his pointed helm very pointed indeed, while Gothmog, Lord of the Balrogs, Lieutenant of Angband, is depicted as no more than a man atop a bench with a club. This work has inspired much controversy because of its apparent abstraction.

Some magnificent finds we have here, and I hope that we as a community can delve further into the artistic culture spawned from Tolkein. Much gratitude for all the accolades, since I do not deserve them. This is merely a topic waiting to be made, and I put the pen to paper as it were, or the digits to keys at least. *bows thankfully*

Old 06-01-2004, 03:37 PM   #14
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
This astounding piece by Picasso illustrates the pain of Saruman when he realizes the Ents are destroying Isengard. Note the use of colours in the background to depict the clashing elements of fire and water. See the shock pictured quite bluntly in his face.

Saruman
Old 06-03-2004, 09:09 PM   #15
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

I just found a really good Impressionist piece by Camille P i s sarro called Les chataigniers a Osny (The Chestnut Trees at Osny) If you can't guess, I'd say it shows the Shire especially well. Unfortunatly, the Camille's last name becomes ****arro whenever i post it. So, go to http://virgo.bibl.u-szeged.hu/wm/paint/auth/p-i-s-sarro/chestnut.jpg[/url] Just remove the "-" between p and i, i and s, and s and s. It's a very good pic, so please do see it!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote