The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-27-2002, 07:05 PM   #41
elvencat

Sting

In most movies the badguys are made to look like they're the better against the goodguy, that way the outcome isn't too obvious. If Sauron had his ring... that'd be a tough one to call. Gandalf is a wily ol' guy but I think Sauron may have more stamina, so I give it to him. Voldemort and Dumbledore don't stand a chance, though I would like to see Voldemort vs. Sauron just for the chance for a good laugh at seeing Voldemort getting his butt kicked good!
Old 08-04-2002, 06:27 AM   #42
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

Voldemort is a pathetic excuse for a bad guy, a child could beat him - hey, wait, a child DID beat him, d^oh...
Gandalf is powerful and wise and all, but he did get beat up by Saruman, at least in the movie.
But how about a fight between Frodo and Potter? just a friendly fight, since they're both 'good characters'.

they're quite the same size, should be a clean fight [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2002, 07:02 AM   #43
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

depending on wether or not frodo had the Ring. then he could just go invisible, and kick Potter in the head.
Losthuniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 01:25 PM   #44
Minyaharmawen
Pile O'Bones

Minyaharmawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Minyaharmawen
Shield

I would have to say Gandalf would win [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2002, 07:00 PM   #45
Salix
Shade of Carn Dûm

Salix has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Frodo vs Potter, hmm. Frodo with Ring: Frodo wins. Frodo no Ring: Potter might ring. But don't even suggest this topic to my little sister. She read the first two chapters of LoTR and skipped to Many Meetings, and stopped. She loves HP.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:26 AM   #46
nynnd1
Haunting Spirit

nynnd1 has just left Hobbiton.
Alright.
Legolas vs Robin Hood

Plain old archery contest.

I've gotta back the elf.

And what about King Arthur vs Aragorn
(perhaps the real contest there would be the swords, anduril vs exacalubir)
Old 04-26-2004, 07:55 AM   #47
Tulkas the Mighty
Haunting Spirit

Tulkas the Mighty has just left Hobbiton.
Y'know the title of this thread... If you pronounce it the way its written it sounds kinda like omelette. Yeah ok Legolas would beat Robin Hood like crazy
Tulkas the Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:19 AM   #48
Nimrothiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nimrothiel has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Well, Legolas has an advantage with his "elf eyes" (God, I hate that line), I think that if he had normal human vision Robin Hood would beat him. King Arthur would kick Aragorn's @ss, Excalibur can slice through most metals, and even though Anduril is an extra magical sword, Aragorn is a looooooong descendent of Isildur, whereas Arthur is the original and rightful king. Then too, Excalibur is a broadsword which takes greater strength to wield (Anduril is a basic longsword), and Arthur fought in far more battles than Aragorn. Frodo and Harry Potter would be a close one if Frodo could use the Ring and Harry could use his Invisibility Cloak; of course, if they're fighting in the woods Frodo would have the advantage. Now if Frodo could use the Ring and Harry could use his wand, Harry might win if he got a lucky shot. If Harry isn't allowed to use his wand, then he's screwed; Frodo would just sneak up behind him. However, if Frodo is not allowed to use the Ring and Harry is allowed to use his Cloak, Frodo would still win because Harry would make too much noise. Basically, this one could go either way. Voldemort vs. Sauron....Sauron, no doubt about it. Gandalf vs. Dumbledore....Gandalf, he's had a millenia of magical practice and learning; Dumbledore's had what, a century? Voldemort vs. Dumbledore...Dumbledore, good always beats evil; this goes for Gandalf vs. Voldemort as well; not to mention Voldemort's a wuss. Dumbledore vs. Sauron...possible for Dumbledore to inflict a mortal wound; but he would doubtless be killed in the process. Finally, Gandalf vs. Sauron...Gandalf, good over evil thing again, though he would probably be fatally wounded in the process. This outcome would be the same even if Sauron could use the Ring. How about some good ol' sibling rivalry? Boromir vs. Faramir; Elladan vs. Elrohir, Eomer vs. Eowyn and so on. (Personally, I'd have Faramir beat Boromir and Eomer beat Eowyn; mainly because I love Faramir and don't want any competition.) (Curses upon the head of whoever removed the evil smiley!!! May your skin break out into enormous boils; may your hair fall out and your fingernails turn green; may your lips melt together and all of your toes fall off!!!! Curse you remover of the evil smiley!!! CURSE YOU!!!!!!!!!) Okay, I'm done.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:03 PM   #49
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Quote:
MELKOR VS VOLDEMORT
Well that's a tricky one...oh wait...it isn't. Melkor!!!

This is my order: Sauron > Gandalf > Dumbledore > Voldemort. Sorry Voldie...you lost.
I disagree about King Arthur beating Aragorn. And how does it affect that Arthur is an "original" king and Aragorn "only" long descendent of Isildur? Remember that Aragorn was able to call some back up...the dead, remember

This is an interesting thread. How about Quickbeam vs Treebeard?
Old 04-27-2004, 04:01 AM   #50
nynnd1
Haunting Spirit

I'd back Quickbeam there, Treebeard just aint fast enough.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:36 AM   #51
Nimrothiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nimrothiel has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Point taken, however, the army of the Dead was called to fulfill an oath for deserting a battle, not man-to-man combat. Then too, Arthur could call on Merlin for back-up in which case Aragorn would call on Mithrandir, and then Arthur would call on his knights and Aragorn would call on his army, then Arthur would call on his army, and it would turn into an enormous battle. The significance about Arthur being the true king is that he was the Pendragon, but the first one after Uther and his heir; Aragorn had to wait quite a few generations to inherit his title and the power that went with it. Then too, Aragorn's bloodline had thinned due to the men of Numenor marrying into lesser races. The significance of this has to do with the swords resonating with the bloodline of their ancestors. Less time of descent, the more powerful the connection would be. Truth be told, I think it would be a very close call, but Arthur would ultimately win because he is the "once and future king" and even if Aragorn managed to mortally wound him he'd just go back to Avalon and wait out the centuries until his return; in the meantime Aragorn would die of old age, unless Arthur had already killed him during the fight. Since we're already talking about Arthurian senarios; what about Aragorn vs. Mordred? (Or Modred, although I've only seen it spelled that way once.)
Old 04-28-2004, 04:56 AM   #52
nynnd1
Haunting Spirit

Faramir vs Boromir

Boromir is the stronger and better warrior but Faramir is mre intellegent. It would be a good fight but i think it would end up a draw, both showing mercy.

However, Faramir my fave of the two so i'm gonna back him.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:35 PM   #53
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Quote:
Arthur could call on Merlin for back-up in which case Aragorn would call on Mithrandir, and then Arthur would call on his knights and Aragorn would call on his army, then Arthur would call on his army, and it would turn into an enormous battle.
Loved to see that You have good points about Arthur though (but my money's still on Aragorn ).