The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2002, 01:41 PM   #1
Yaish
Pile O'Bones

Yaish has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Yaish
Sting On a second viewing

Ok, all the things I noticed on a second viewing of the movie, after reading about it here.<P>In no particular order:<BR>There IS a car in the shire. Right when Sam is about to go as far as he has ever been from home, and Frodo turns back towards him. There is a dust cloud that in reality must have been raised by a car on the road there, but we will imagine it was a horse ans rider.<P>Aragorn did NOT take a reforged Narsil out of Rivendell with him. There are several good looks at his hilt after that, and it is the same sword he has in Bree and weathertop.<P>When Frodo pulls Sam from the water, you can see he IS wet all the way to the shoulder.<BR>The statues on the Argonath do not switch hands, its just the angle.<P>The Nazgul seemed better this time around, and their scream was pretty cool.<P>Did anyone notived Boromirs Vambraces? They had the white tree as a pattern on them. I missed that the first time I saw the movie. Aragorn takes them and is shown putting them on just as they set Boromir off in the elven boat. I like the little, unmentioned parts like that from the book.<P>Here are my favorite parts.<BR>When Gandalf learns that it is indeed the One Ring that Frodo has. At first he is relieved that no writing appears, then when Frodo does see it you can see the anguish in his eyes. Then later when they are in Rivendell at the council, and Frodo again states he will take the ring, you can see that Gandalf is truly sad that he must once again take up that burden. Then you can also see how proud he is that Frodo is willing too, after seeing where it almost got him already.<P>Another part, one of the saddest, was when Boromir was studded with arrows, on his knees as the orcs rushed pashed. He was helpless, unable to help the hobbits, and wishing that he could could still fight. It was the only scene that almost brought me to tears.<BR>Another favorite part was when Gandalf tells Frodo to decide if they will descend into the mines of Moria. Frodo says they will, and you can see the resignation in his eyes. It looks like he knows there is a Balrog there, and that he will probably have to fight it. Its something he fears to do, but is willing to do in order to get the ring on its journey.<P>What an excellent movie!!
Yaish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 04:45 AM   #2
Rinberethial Bloom
Animated Skeleton

Rinberethial Bloom has just left Hobbiton.
I've now seen it three times and each time i've been looking out for the bits people have mentioned. And....<P>I swear there is no way it was just the camera angle that made it seem as if one of the statues switched hands. Someone said he was just holding a scroll but it was actually a sword but we only really see the hilt, but even in the glance from behind you can see his robe hanging down off his arm which is outstretched and on the wrong side.<P>in the car thing I agree with Yaish that you can really only see a cloud of dust but there is also a reflected light off it (like a car window) for awhile.<P>If anyone has anything to add feel free
Rinberethial Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 05:08 AM   #3
Sindalómiel
Wight

Sindalómiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Sindalómiel
Sting

I forgot to look out for the car thing today, but I don't think the statues change. I mean, they'd have to make TWO statues to make that mistake, and why would they bother?<BR>(This is assuming they made those statues as well as all the others.)
Old 01-18-2002, 05:14 AM   #4
Rinberethial Bloom
Animated Skeleton

There are alot of other things they do to the film though they don't just film little statues and leave it like that it could have all been done on computer. But they could have made the mistake of reversing the film so the left is right, but then of course the other statue would have changed his hand aswell. But my point is that they do other things to the film and could have made this mistake.
Old 01-18-2002, 05:17 AM   #5
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Sindalómiel:<BR><STRONG>I forgot to look out for the car thing today, but I don't think the statues change. I mean, they'd have to make TWO statues to make that mistake, and why would they bother?<BR>(This is assuming they made those statues as well as all the others.)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>It is changed, check it out next time you go.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 05:30 AM   #6
Rinberethial Bloom
Animated Skeleton

yay someone agrees with me
Old 01-18-2002, 05:52 AM   #7
Sindalómiel
Wight

Sindalómiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Sindalómiel
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Rinberethial Bloom:<BR><STRONG>There are alot of other things they do to the film though they don't just film little statues and leave it like that it could have all been done on computer. But they could have made the mistake of reversing the film so the left is right, but then of course the other statue would have changed his hand aswell. But my point is that they do other things to the film and could have made this mistake.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, I know they do stuff on computers as well, that's why I said ASSUMING they did the statue thing.<P>And to Elrian, I saw it today and made a point to look for it, to me they don't look wrong.
Old 01-18-2002, 06:01 AM   #8
Nazgűl Queen
Haunting Spirit

Nazgűl Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<center>On my second viewing i forgot at the last minute to look for the car...<P>but I did think that the hands did not change - i looked at the thumbs and it looked right to me!
Old 01-18-2002, 06:09 AM   #9
Rinberethial Bloom
Animated Skeleton

well I don't really think it matters all that much. Nitpicking just ruins a movie
Old 01-19-2002, 09:33 AM   #10
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
I kept my eyes fixed on the screen at the statue part and they are definatly correct. I also looked for when Boromir was soposed to blink and I can't belive people think it's so noticable. I would think that it was just a trick of the eye if others hadn't seen it before me. I didn't know about the car though.
Old 01-19-2002, 11:50 AM   #11
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Rinberethial Bloom:<BR><STRONG>yay someone agrees with me</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>We weren't the only ones to see it. here's a whole list of things to look for the next time you go: <A HREF="http://www.movie-mistakes.com/film.php?filmid=1778" TARGET=_blank>MovieMistakes</A>. The movie still has alot less mistakes than other popular movies made.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote