The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-21-2002, 05:15 AM   #1
Lady of the Lake
Pile O'Bones

Lady of the Lake has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Who was the best actor in the movie?

Who do you think suited their parts in the movie best?<BR>I vote for Aragorn and Gandalf. What do you think?<BR>I kinda though Elijah Wood suited Frodo really well, but he seemed so helpless in the movie. He was really quite brave and heroic in the book.<BR>Galadriel was great too!!!

~~You forget, I am the Lady of the Lake, I am made of water. Now everything is flowing away from us and I accept it.~~
Lady of the Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 05:16 AM   #2
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Ring

I think that the actors that played Glorfindel, Tom Bombadil and Farmer Maggot did a wonderful job!
Old 02-21-2002, 05:26 AM   #3
Lady of the Lake
Pile O'Bones

Lady of the Lake has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah I agree!<BR>I loved it how the script writer included their parts so generously! Well at least we saw Farmer Maggot's scythe!<BR>And what about good ol' Fatty?<BR>

~~You forget, I am the Lady of the Lake, I am made of water. Now everything is flowing away from us and I accept it.~~
Lady of the Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 08:59 AM   #4
Nova
Pile O'Bones

Nova has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Nova Send a message via AIM to Nova
Thumbs up

Oh, yes. Bombadil moved around so fast you couldn't even see him. Amazing.<P>Seriously, I think that the cast for the whole Fellowship was very well chosen. As for who was best suited for their part, I suppose I would have to say Elijah Wood, whether I like him or not. <P>But as for which character was actually best portrayed, I'd have to say Aragorn. I got a copy of the Official Movie Guide for Xmas, which includes some stories and info about Mortensen that just amazed me. He was the last of the actors of the Fellowship to arrive in New Zealand, because he was only chosen as a replacement. He had never auditioned, never even read the books, and only went because his son said he had to. He read the book within a space of a couple days, starting on the plane. His first day on set was in Bree, and even though the script doesn't call for it, he's sitting in the back, in the shadows, looking secretive and alone and smoking his pipe. He took care of his own costume, so that he could wear it constantly and be comfortable with his role. Very impressive. And I liked his quiet portrayal of Aragorn, as well. Very fitting for a Ranger.<P>McKellen's Gandalf was extremely good, too, of course. He was able to capture all facets of Gandalf's personality -- anger, compassion, wrath and wisdom.<P>Coming in third would have to be Legolas. He moves like an elf, what can I say?<P>Now, I rather think that Liv Tyler was...not so good. But, whatever.

"Now come, you filth! You've hurt my master, you brute, and you'll pay for it. We're going on; but we'll settle with you first. Come on, and taste it again!"

"If I'm to go on, then I must take your sword, by your leave, Mr. Frodo, but I'll put this one to lie by you, as it lay by the old king in the barrow; and you've got your beautiful mithril coat from old Mr. Bilbo. And your star-glass, Mr. Frodo, you did lend it to me and I'll need it, for I'll be always in the dark now. It's too good for me, and the Lady gave it to you, but maybe she'd understand. Do you understand, Mr. Frodo? I've got to go on."

-Nova
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 03:20 PM   #5
solikat

Sting

All I have to say is: Bilbo Lives!!!<P>And wasn't that great that he got to have a reunion with Gandalf? Those two make such a great team!<P>And don't try to tell me anything about any Ians, there were no actors on that screen! Those guys were the real deal.
Old 02-21-2002, 03:27 PM   #6
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf - EXCELLENT. If Sir McKellan does not get the Oscar for that, there will be Elven violence wrought upon the Academy!<BR>Galadriel - EXCELLENT <BR>Elrond - PERFECT <BR>Legolas - PERFECT <BR>Frodo- Very Good, the part definitely suits him<BR>Sam - PERFECT<BR>Merry & Pippin - PERFECT<BR>Saruman - should have been played by Sean Connery <BR>Gimli - PERFECT<BR>Haldir & Celeborn - HELP! <BR>Boromir - VERY GOOD; I really felt for him!<BR>Aragorn = arragant
Old 02-21-2002, 03:31 PM   #7
Mereth'iel
Pile O'Bones

Mereth'iel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought the movie was well cast and that all of the actors were great in their roles, but I liked Sean Bean's portrayal of Boromir the best. He really brought out the frailties & nuances of the character.
Mereth'iel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 03:51 PM   #8
Balefalathiel
Animated Skeleton

Balefalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf was so good and Frodo was so cute! Actually they were all perfect, except Arwen... But tell me, what's wrong with Celeborn?? Isn't he a good-looking man..-I mean elf... <P>Oh and Bombadil was so handsome!
Balefalathiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 08:59 PM   #9
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

I thought Ian McKellen and Ian Holm were the best suited for their roles. Although Viggo did a good Aragorn, I didn't think his part was well-writen. He was WAY too unsure of himself. Definitely NOT the real Aragorn!
Old 02-21-2002, 09:13 PM   #10
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I think that everyone fit their parts perfectly! I couldn't have picked a better cast - I was a little hesitant about liking Liv Tyler, but she proved me wrong. I did enjoy her in the movie.<BR>I love Ian McKellen, I don't think there could've been a better Gandalf.<BR>Elijah Wood is perfect for Frodo & I am really looking forward to seeing him in the next two.<BR>I love all Hobbits!<BR>Legolas & Gimli - mwah!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 09:24 PM   #11
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Tigerlilly, thank you! I never knew how to spell a kiss sound! I understood that perfectly!
Old 02-21-2002, 09:37 PM   #12
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

You're welcome - it's not a problem! I actually stole it from people on the X-Men chat boards I visit. I'm crazy! I know! AHHH!!!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 08:39 AM   #13
Nova
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Mmm...anybody else find it interesting that Aralaithiel thought Aragorn was too arrogant in the movie, while Raefindel thought he needed more confidence? Differences in their conceptions, or just speaking about different things (Raefindel about the writing, Aralaithiel about the was he handled the writing)?<P>Personally, I don't really see the arrogance. But that's just me. Too unsure, I can understand, certainly. But I had rather just percieved him as a little quiet, not too loud at this early stage stage in the epic. He does truly show some inner fire in a few parts, mainly at his introduction and, obviously, at Weathertop. Now, if he maintains his quiet throughout the next films, that would be disappointing to me, but if he just gains strength as the hour of his assumption of the crown grow nearer, that would be perfect in my mind.

"Now come, you filth! You've hurt my master, you brute, and you'll pay for it. We're going on; but we'll settle with you first. Come on, and taste it again!"

"If I'm to go on, then I must take your sword, by your leave, Mr. Frodo, but I'll put this one to lie by you, as it lay by the old king in the barrow; and you've got your beautiful mithril coat from old Mr. Bilbo. And your star-glass, Mr. Frodo, you did lend it to me and I'll need it, for I'll be always in the dark now. It's too good for me, and the Lady gave it to you, but maybe she'd understand. Do you understand, Mr. Frodo? I've got to go on."

-Nova
Old 02-22-2002, 08:46 AM   #14
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Anarya SilverBranch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have to say that my vote is on Legolas. I thought Orlando Bloom did a great job protraying him. I was angry though that Liv Tyler got so much attention when she was only in the movie for like ten mintues, while other characters who were in the movie a lot longer and had much bigger parts got lower billing. Though I am happy they gave women a bigger part in it, because the book is so male dominated. I just wish Tolkien had put a female in the fellowship I could relate to.
Old 02-22-2002, 08:49 AM   #15
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My favourite character in the books is Gandalf. Ian McKellen (of whom I had never heard before) was awesome, and I don't use that superlative lightly. Heck, I've seen and heard enough interviews with the guy since the movie's release, and he looks and sounds nothing like Gandalf in real life. Except, maybe the eyes, of course, but still; Ian isn't up on that screen. It's Gandalf. Even he has said that when he watched the movie, he forgot that it was him up there. Do you know what a feat that is? Ian deserves the Oscar, no doubt in my mind about that. <P>I found Aragorn a bit too tentative at first. I think his character will develop well.<P>Sean Bean's Boromir is my second favourite, and that surprised me. Apparently, he will be in TTT briefly, when Faramir has a dream of him. At least, the scene was shot. it is up to PJ as to whether or not it will be shown.<P>Elijah Wood. Adequate;<P>Sean Astin: Adequate;<P>Orlando Bloom: Adequate. hard to say, really; he has the appearance and the grace of an Elf, but he doesn't have a lot of speaking scenes. <P>Christopher Lee: Very good. He said recently that he hopes he lives long enough to see the remaining two films, and I hope he does. Saruman is the summit of his career, IMO.<P>Cate Blanchette: Her voice gives me shivers; her eyes look right into me. Apparently, Elijah was smitten with her, and so am I.<P>Liv Tyler: Didn't suck. Like Gimli, though, I prefer the Day to the Night.<P>Ian Holme: Very, very good. In the same league as McKellen and Lee....<I>almost</I><P>Hugo Weaving: Didn't suck.<P>Rhys-Davies: Didn't suck.<P>Billy Boyd and Dominic Monahan: Didn't suck, and I expect good things from them in the next two movies. The last scene of them getting brutally carried off by the Uruk-Hai, and the expressions on their faces as Boromir was left to die, is unforgettable.<P>And that is my <I>non-estrogen, non-biased</I> opinion on the casting...<P> <P><BR><I> Just teasing, ladies, just teasing!</I><P>

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 08:59 AM   #16
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Anarya SilverBranch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Also, I forgot to add that I thought Sean Bean did a really good job on Boromir. This might sound pathetic but I cried when he died. I Also cried when Gandalf fell down that big chasm thing, even though I knew he was going to come back. I am so pathetic
Old 02-22-2002, 04:40 PM   #17
Eglantine Ploughman

Sting

I LOVED : Elijah Wood (Frodo) <BR> Orlando Bloom (Legolas)<BR> Sean Astin (Sam)<BR> Hugo Weaving (Elrond)<BR> Dominic Monaghan (Merry)<BR> Billy Boyd (Pippin)<BR> Sean Bean (Boromir)<BR> HALDIR!!!<BR> and Viggo Mortensen!!! <P>I liked: Ian MC Kellen (Gandalf)<BR> John R.D. (Gimli)<BR> Cate Blanchet (Galadriel)<BR> Liv Tyler (Arwen)<BR> Christopher Lee (Saruman)<BR> GOLLUM<BR> and the Orcs!!! <P>Ba ba!
Old 02-22-2002, 10:06 PM   #18
andhiriel greenleaf

Sting

I'd have to say Aragorn. He looked really natural in this movie. He really suits the part for a warrior. I have to admit! He's great! Legolas was also great cause his character demands that he should be really gentle-soft hearted. He did a great job potraying the character.<P>As for Frodo, he's good but his character was drowned by Aragorn's. But, the chemistry between the hobbits were wonderful. Especially when Frodo saw his friends again in Rivendell.
Old 02-23-2002, 07:52 AM   #19
Nova
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Glenethor, I believe Lee sees it as the summit of his career, as well. He's wanted to play Saruman since the 50's.

-Nova
Old 02-23-2002, 08:50 AM   #20
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yep. I just hope I am in as good shape as he is when/if I ever get to his age.

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 02:12 PM   #21
Ringfenwen
Pile O'Bones

Ringfenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf was Brill he looked exactly like I imagine a wizard, tall, bearded, furry caterpillar eyebrows, the works. Sean Bean wa great as Boromir 2, but it annoyed me, coz at the end titles they didn't put him down under cast, just in the 'featuring' section, I thought that was really unfair, because he acted it brilliantly
Old 02-23-2002, 02:17 PM   #22
Ringfenwen
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Orlando Bloom made a brilliant elf, he was so sweet.<P>Elijah Wood made a great Frodo coz he looked so innocent, and he acted it really well.<P>Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn was definitely the best, by farthough. you could really imagine him as a ranger and acted it as if he'd been born for the part, also he is absolutely GORGEOUS
Old 02-23-2002, 03:33 PM   #23
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin
Haunting Spirit

Tarlondeion Of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Sean Bean was great as Boromir, he plays that kind of part really well, Viggo looked exactly as I always imagined him and any Numenorean King (especially at that bit in Amon Hen when he just strides forward into an army of Urik Hai. Legolas was just like an elf. Gimli was a dwarf. Gandalf was as i imagined him. Ah heck they were all great! Saruman was pretty cool and Lurtz was as I imagined Ugluk. All in all a great cast with a film too match.
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 06:08 PM   #24
Airetauriel
Animated Skeleton

Airetauriel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Not all the cast were perfect. The film is as near to perfect as any film could be, especially facing such a daunting challenge.<P>GANDALF - WOW. That's all. If he doesn't win the oscar I'll wage war on the film industry.<P>FRODO - Very good. Very well acted, very good appearance, but I agree he seems more helpless than he does in the book. The true test though will be later on, in the return of the King, to see how well Elijah Wood copes with the road to mount doom and the increasing burden.<P>SAM - looks great, sounds wrong - all wrong. Maybe it's because I'm English that I completely resent him slipping into his accent once or twice.<P>MERRY + PIPPIN. Not really sure. I like Pippin, though I don't know how he managed to have an Irish accent. Not too sure on Merry, perhaps he will improve.<P>ARAGORN - The first thing I said when I saw him was - 'He's too young, and he's too pretty' and I still almost stand by that. Maybe I got the picture of him in my head by all the references to how old he's supposed to look. Sam says he looks foul and feels fair, in the film Arwen says the years lie on him, although in the book it is Celeborn that says that. Maybe I was misled by his voice in the next best thing to the film - The BBC Radio dramtisation that I grew up on, in which he definitely sounds a lot older. I like his portrayal now though, and actually prefer the idea of a younger Strider, although he is 87!<P>LEGOLAS - I think Orlando Bloom is a real elf. <P>GIMLI - excellent. And very funny. Good beard!<P>BOROMIR - Equally good. But then, Sean Bean, what can I say? He's always good. Very good at putting forward the torture that having the ring so close laid on his mind.<P>GALADRIEL - Exactly as she lives in my imagination - and she managed to be chilling and wise and kind all at the same time. Cate Blanchett looks the part and acts it perfectly.<P>BILBO - Ian Holm played Frodo in the BBC radio dramatisation and so must have felt much as Bilbo felt - having had the star role in the small production and then passing it on when it got interesting because he was too old. Bilbo had the ring and the adventures in the small production (The Hobbit) and when Sauron stirred and it got interesting he had to pass it on because he was too old. Do you see what I mean? Anyway I always knew he would be good because he's lived with the story and the role for so long.<P>ELROND - Not as I imagined him, but good all the same. The look on his face when Merry and Pippin run in to the council meeting is priceless. <P>SARUMAN - Christopher Lee and his voice were perfect. Absolutely perfect. A performance to match that of Ian McKellen, though less of it, obviously. The shot of him calling down the clouds on the fellowship, chanting arms extended on the pinnacle of Orthanc was one of my favourite moments.<P>ARWEN - Ahem. Scandalous. Irritating. Altogether wrong.<P>As for bit-parts, I thought that Haldir was excellently haughty, the black riders were very chilling, and made me jump out of my seat on more than one occasion. Sauron (if you can call him a bit part!!!!!), both the portayal of him in armour at the beginning, and his eye and voice from then on, were brilliant. The cave troll and the balrog should have commanded top billing, and the watcher in the water. The orcs and goblins, well.....a miracle in makeup, we should see more of that later.<P>I think I've included everyone!<P>Airetauriel
Airetauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 07:36 PM   #25
Shire_Folk

Thumbs up

My favorite? Well I would have to say Ian as Gandalf. I would have liked him to wear his pointy wizard hat some more though. <P>What more can I say? He was born for that role.
Old 02-23-2002, 08:08 PM   #26
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Airetauriel, I agree with you about Aragorn! He was way too young, but made it work nonetheless. Good actor.
Old 02-23-2002, 08:23 PM   #27
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I'm gonna be awful predictable, and say that Galadriel and Sam were by far the best. I also like Frodo and Aragorn next. Saruman was good, but I thought Gandalf was a little... well, he could have done more.

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 03:31 PM   #28
Ringfenwen
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Galadriel the best? You have 2 be kidding me, my dog could have made a better job of acting than that(no offense intended, but I really HATED her in it, she was so stuck up, even when ickle Frodo fell backwards from the mirror she didn't even help him up, now that's tight) <P>Sorry, just had 2 get that off my chest.<P>I liked Gimli, coz he was really funny, had a really cool beard, and sounded welsh 2. <P>CYMRU AM BYTH!