The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #2081
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Bom Tombadillo has just left Hobbiton.
. . . you occupy time on long, boring car rides by looking out of the window at the trees and deciding which ones look like Ents.

Wait. Only one thing? My Arda-obsession is insufficient! I must commit ritual LotRuku now.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #2082
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
...When you kill precious time by answering Tolkien-related questions on WikiAnswers.

After the quality of questions I found there I appreciate our clean shiny "educated" Downs so much more.

It's quite hilarious and sad at the same time. People ask things like "how do you write like J R R Tolkien?" and "What path fif J.R.R. Tolkien take to reach his goals?" (these are real questions! ) The word spelling does not exist. Neither does research.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #2083
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
This happened today, for real. It's a bit of a story.

I was washing the windows on the second floor of my house. Some of them I could do on both sides without much trouble, but for others I had to stand halfway out the window to reach certain spots. Just beneath one window there is a wide cornice, so I stood on it, since that is more comfortable than leaning out the window. And then, I don't know what I was thinking, but I closed the window behind myself. And then I realised that I locked myself out, standing on the roof, two storeys up.

Now, this is where my obsession with LOTR becomes evident: the first thing that I mentally called myself was ninnyhammer. Out of all the names I could use. I could definitely pick a more colourful one. But ninnyhammer was the first that came to mind. My obsession has deep roots, it seems.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #2084
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'm so obsessed with LotR that I've rubbed off on my brother. Here's a conversation we had recently:

Seth: Can you not wait until December?
Me: Well, I have to wait until December. We can't speed up time. Why?
Seth: I can't wait until December.
Me: Why is that?
Seth: Well, you know...
Me: No I don't.
Seth: The Hobbit movie comes out in December.
Me: I know that I'm excited about that, but I didn't think that you were.
Seth: Well, I am.
Me: Well, I'm not going to take you to see it until you actually finish reading the book.
Seth: I'm going to finish reading it!
Old 06-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #2085
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

MCRmyGirl4eva has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

When you dragged your friend into the public library and used his card (Because you lost yours) to check out The Treason of Isengard and the extended VHS version of FOTR, even though you own the regular VHS version
AND he gives you permission to steal them because he knows how obsessed you are, and he doesn't mind paying the fine

When you got your best friend obsessed, and are letting her borrow your copies of the movies in an attempt to in turn make her boyfriend obsessed

When you randomly walk around in school holding The Two Towers movie, and manage to talk your english teacher into playing it once everyone finished their final exam, and you had a half an hour left. (Unfortunately, she couldn't get the VCR to work)

When you end up having conversations with a kid that you extremely dislike, merely because he is the only one genuinely interested in your LOTR rants, despite the fact that he only knows the movies, and doesn't criticize your crude maps of Middle-Earth
Old 06-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #2086
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thumbs up

When you watch The Two Towers, pretending that you don't have exams the next morning.

Gandalf: *pops out of the ground* YOU SHALL NOT PASS!
Me: What the heck?!?
Gandalf: Gotta go finish fighting the Balrog. Bye!
Me: *Stares at Kool-Aid* What the heck do they put in this stuff?

Last edited by mormegil; 05-29-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: mild language
MCRmyGirl4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #2087
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

More like the legendarium in general...

When your younger brother asks you for a riddle, and knowing that you have to keep him occupied but feeling a lack of creativity you just restore to The Hobbit riddles.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #2088
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

When you, checked out the extended versions of the movies from the library, only because your versions are not extended.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #2089
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

When you and your family are joking about the hobbits forging the five One Ring-s during the Olympics opening ceremony. (And by Eru it was better tenfold than Vancouver's!)
Old 07-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #2090
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

Funny LOTR Story

I was paging through The Silmarillion with crescendo. and we were playing with bits of Elvish words to come up with cool Elven names. I don't recall exactly what she said, but I asked her what it meant, and she said; "sparkling twilight". I stared at her and said, "Think of what you just said." We both start laughing, and discard the name immediately.

For those who don't get it, the "vampires" in the Twilight Saga sparkle. It's awful.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #2091
Ninde Lossehelin
Pile O'Bones

Ninde Lossehelin has just left Hobbiton.
you know you're obsessed when

you have to watch the at least one of the trilogy after a few weeks
Ninde Lossehelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:53 AM   #2092
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
When you and your family are joking about the hobbits forging the five One Ring-s during the Olympics opening ceremony. (And by Eru it was better tenfold than Vancouver's!)
How about when you see what was meant to be Glastonbury Tor and think "Party Tree"!

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #2093
Ninde Lossehelin
Pile O'Bones

When just finishing the Trilogy, the next day you and your obsessed sister want to watch it all over again.
It's a challenge to NOT quote the movie while watching
Old 08-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #2094
Ninde Lossehelin
Pile O'Bones

When after watching the complete trilogy, the next day you and your obsessed sister (whom you turned) want to watch it again.

When it's a challenge NOT to quote the lines during the movie
Old 08-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #2095
Ninde Lossehelin
Pile O'Bones

Sorry for the repost
Newbie here
but forever Lord of the Rings junkie
Old 10-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #2096
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

You sign your name in Quenya on all of your school papers.

When the teachers you had last year have to tell this year's teachers whose paper it is.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #2097
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

You go bowling with friends and spend most of your time changing the names of the players on the computer/screen/thingy to spell the team names as random Tolkien stuff (though I am guilty of a few GoT references too). At one point our team was called O.R.C.S., and each of the letters was the first of a random word. Then we figured out how to use the space bar and thus put 2 letters in the slot of one (as 2 initials), and had stuff like

PM
IE
PR
IR
NY

But at that point people got really creative and started putting stuff I would not write on this forum. But it was hilarious.

It was fun. The best part of bowling, I should say.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #2098
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

When your father tells you to turn the G**d*mned movie off and watch something normal

When he tells you to make some potatoes, and you reply "Po-tay-toes, boil 'em mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew"

When he says he wants some fish and chips, and you say "Some nice lovely golden chips with a nice piece of fried fish"

When you start watching LOTR, and the upstairs neighbors start blaring "We Will Rock You" because you have the volume so loud that they can hear it. (To which I sang along and blared "We Are The Champions" after the song was over. Queen rules.)

When you actually come on here to tell random people all of that

Oh, and when your sister (crescendo.), who also likes LOTR, refuses to watch the movies with you because you're saying EVERY LINE along with the characters.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #2099
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

When you're asked to make a short funny James Bond themed New Year script, and you end up making the script so that there are a bunch of agent helpers who all the time bow and say "at your service", and in the process their agent-Elrond () glasses keep falling off their faces...

Hobbit New Year, everyone! What? Typo? No.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #2100
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

I was at my boyfriend's house, and we watched Tokyo Babylon and Return of the King. All through ROTK, I was talking to his brother about LOTR books v. movies
Old 01-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #2101
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
On your five year old's list of words he can read are "Hobbit" and "Gandalf". And after looking at a book with lots of pictures of Dwarves, he is inspired to draw a big moustache and beard on his own face with green felt tip pen.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #2102
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thanks to Hookbill, Oddwen, Squatter, Agan, Greenie, Pom, Nog and Volo my head's been mostly in Middle-Earth for the last several days, and today I totally overdid myself by doodling Thorin and Azog (as opposed to the normal random spirals, lines, squares and half-formed flowers) at work.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #2103
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

When you start laughing at a The Hobbit meme in class so hard that the teacher comes over and yels at you for not typing your Lizzie Borden paper. (Just so you know, it was Thorin hugging Bilbo and saying "I thought I would actually keep my New Year's resolution this year... Never have I been so wrong!")
Old 01-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #2104
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yes, a double-post.

When you put the Return of the King soundtrack on your mp3 player. (yes, not iPod)
Old 01-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #2105
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Your five year old sits there and in a Dalek voice says: "Hello, my name is Gollum!" and then: "Lord of the Rings is great!"

And when he has woken you up at 2am after a bad dream, he gets in your bed and at quarter to three in the morning starts singing "They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard".
Old 01-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #2106
darethehair
Newly Deceased

darethehair has just left Hobbiton.
[newbie here]

When to both impress and confuse your FaceBook friends, you use what little Quenya (language) and Tengwar (font) knowledge to post 'Merry Christmas' and 'Happy New Year' images on those days.

Of course, some will (in a good-natured way) accuse you of being a 'nerd'

The only mistake I made was assuming that they would ask me what the words actually *meant*, but none did
darethehair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #2107
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm not sure if this is a sign of obsession or rather just being pathetic and/or inventive, but...

Flatmate and I want to watch some Richard Armitage in black leather. We sit down on a mattress on the floor, but alas we need something to support the laptop with.
"I usually take random books from the shelf," flatmate says, "but it's one hell of a job to figure out how to get the piles even." She proceeds to rummage in my room, and comes soon back carrying some of my HoME copies. "So this time we'll have two identical piles!"
Old 02-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #2108
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
When you mistype Guantánamo as Guantanámo, just because -námo sounds more familiar.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #2109
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

When you somehow manage to work LOTR into a discussion about Loki's daddy issues and Mjolnir.... still not quite sure how I pulled that off...
Old 02-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #2110
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

When, while going up on a ski lift, you introduce your friend (who just started LOTR) to the rest of the legendarium and how it works and stuff (and, incidentally, encourage him to take a look at the Downs ).
Old 02-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #2111
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
When, while going up on a ski lift, you introduce your friend (who just started LOTR) to the rest of the legendarium and how it works and stuff (and, incidentally, encourage him to take a look at the Downs ).
Oh, a newbie can't hurt! Hopefully he'll get into it!

When you're reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and your brain somehow autocorrects Benjy the Mouse to Bilbo the Mouse...
Old 03-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #2112
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

My brother and I just got the LEGO Lord of the Rings game. Oh my Eru! It is fantastic. Besides being based almost solely on the films, the world is expansive and fun to explore. I bought Tom Bombadil to play yesterday and today got Radagast the Brown. I have barely been doing anything else for the past few days, and last night I dreamt of LEGO hobbits. Lord of the Rings was a first love of sorts, and I almost had forgotten how much I love it. It's funny how it took a LEGO video game to really get back to it.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #2113
Earendur Isilra
Newly Deceased

Earendur Isilra has just left Hobbiton.
You know you're obsessed with LOTR when....

1.You shout "Fly, you fools!" when you get tired of waiting in a line.
2. You write in Tengwar instead of English in your test.
3.You say your teacher is an orc for giving you an F for your test.(I once asked her why and she got very 'excited' if you take my meaning)
4.You sing your national song in Sindarin or Quenya.
5.You stay up all night searching for Earendil.
6.Thinking that going to the toilet as a quest.
7.and so on.....
Earendur Isilra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #2114
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

My study teacher, whi I had two years ago for science, always asks me how my Elevensies was. (My school has lunch at about eleven o'clock) I also have his wife for my Latin teacher, so whenever I make a LOTR reference in Latin class, he hears about it.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:10 AM   #2115
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
When the predictive text function on your tablet's swipe keyboard opts for Elvish or LOTR actor names first. Brought home to me just now when Csokas was it's first choice for an everyday English word.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 05-17-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #2116
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

When you get mad at a friend for only having watched The Hobbit because of its actors.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:12 AM   #2117
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCRmyGirl4eva View Post
When you get mad at a friend for only having watched The Hobbit because of its actors.
I mean, I knew An Unexpected Journey would be crap. I only watched it because of the actors.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #2118
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I mean, I knew An Unexpected Journey would be crap. I only watched it because of the actors.
I have to admit, Benedict Cumberbatch has a hell of a voice. He'll make a great Smaug.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #2119
Lairston
Newly Deceased

Lairston has just left Hobbiton.
You have the dream where you're the wizard standing in for Gandalf and shout, "You will not Pass." And you have it over and over and over and over again.

And the falling stinks :P
Old 05-30-2013, 04:16 AM   #2120
Lollipop010900
Animated Skeleton

Lollipop010900 has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree You know your obsessed with LOTR when...

1. You refuse to play a band instrument for your schools instrumental program because every time you hear drums all you can think is... "drums in the deep" and "we cannot get out"

2. You start reading your two week old sister The Hobbit...

3. Instead of studying for a rather important test, you watch the entire Fellowship of the Ring extended version, and then when you get a bad grade on that test you say to yourself... "fool of a Took" (even though your name sounds nothing like Took), then realise you don't care about your test because it was such a good movie.

Before i read this thread i thought i was obsessed. When i read this thread i began to think i wasn't so bad. Now after posting on this thread i have decided i am offically obsessed.