The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-04-2008, 02:50 AM   #721
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

This time we have absolute facts! Honest!

Okay, not really.

For those who can't see it...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ba/Week083.jpg

The Phantom and Alien have some unfortunate news.

Again...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...a/PandA078.jpg
Old 02-04-2008, 03:17 AM   #722
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.

That was amusing.

I'm only itching to know who's the mysterious balding 'downer and if the bearded child is Aganzir...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #723
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
How did you get out of that blender Hookbill?!
Old 02-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #724
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
If these people don't stop to take The Downer seriously, it's going to end very bad...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #725
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
If these people don't stop to take The Downer seriously, it's going to end very bad...
Are you saying that the Downer is spreading lies? I'm shocked that you would say such a thing.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:53 AM   #726
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Brilliant! Another stunning contribution to the literary world! Love that part about A Little Green throwing children out of a tall building (from the first story!)

Ah yes....declineing morals Legate!
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:30 AM   #727
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Are you saying that the Downer is spreading lies? I'm shocked that you would say such a thing.
No, I never said that. I complained against people like you taking it always seriously.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 02-05-2008, 05:56 AM   #728
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I'm only itching to know who's the mysterious balding 'downer and if the bearded child is Aganzir...
Not possible. It's you whom I like to think to be Gandalf.
But I remember I gave you a fake beard for birthday some years ago, also... So I guess you can stop itching now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin
He climbed.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:25 PM   #729
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
The blender wasn't on when Hookbill fell in was it? Because if it was, then he might have gotten blended... Poor, poor Hookbill...
Old 02-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #730
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up lacking in humour since '87

Well, it's just past midnight and I can't sleep, so here is this week's paper...

This week, Alien has been messing with the pipes...

Old 02-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #731
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Wow! For once I get to see the Downer on Sunday!
Old 02-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #732
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

So many things happening to so many downers! It certainly looks like it has been a busy week.

The second article was hilarious!
Old 02-11-2008, 04:32 AM   #733
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

That was all too funny, especially Raynor's hotel and the mini-heads. And I sincerely hope that the 'downer who won the right to eat her/his sister was not Greenie and not in werewolf (not in any other circumstances either, for that matter). Also, I'm glad they removed Agan's teeth so she won't be biting people that much (again, I could mention werewolf ).

Anyway, I can only wonder how do you Hookbill always find the time to do this marvellous newspaper. But I'm very glad you do.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:42 AM   #734
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Anyway, I can only wonder how do you Hookbill always find the time to do this marvellous newspaper. But I'm very glad you do.
What one lacks in life, one makes up for in pointless endeavors.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:58 AM   #735
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I have to complain about press intrusion in last week's issue of the Downer. How on earth their reporters know that davem has the fairy king hiding in his sock drawer I shudder to think...

Old 02-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #736
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles settle in the South Downs

Hm...South Downs, sounds like a gated community. Perhaps they keep track of how many skeletons are in your closet rather than how well-manicured your lawn is?
Old 02-12-2008, 12:20 AM   #737
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
How very odd! I was dreaming about talking tornados chasing me up and down Middle Earth sunday night! Well anyhow, I like the weather news...The Downer should have a weather page in it.....
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:45 AM   #738
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

So not only does Folwren say that during the article, but also she says it on her signature? ... wow, she must really like that phrase...

(And yes Laurinque, I read this weeks Downer... finally...)
Old 02-13-2008, 01:13 PM   #739
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
So not only does Folwren say that during the article, but also she says it on her signature? ... wow, she must really like that phrase...
Too bad Folwren isn't here to enjoy it. I'll have to make sure she reads it when she gets back.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:38 PM   #740
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm sad to see my teeth go, but rather them than nails, I guess.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:44 PM   #741
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
I have to complain about press intrusion in last week's issue of the Downer. How on earth their reporters know that davem has the fairy king hiding in his sock drawer I shudder to think.
Have you never heard of Freedom of the Press? What? That actually exists?

I had planned on doing a St Pancake's Day special, but I forgot. Sorry.

I've made a decision, though. This year, at Oxonmoot, I'll be bringing a special, exclusive copy of The Downer which I will give to any fellow Barrow Downers who come. The Oxonmoot Special will be printed on A3 paper and have some inside pages as well as probably a couple of Phantom and Aliens.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:14 PM   #742
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
I've made a decision, though. This year, at Oxonmoot, I'll be bringing a special, exclusive copy of The Downer which I will give to any fellow Barrow Downers who come. The Oxonmoot Special will be printed on A3 paper and have some inside pages as well as probably a couple of Phantom and Aliens.
Should I be worried that this is the best motivation for me to go to Oxonmoot?
Old 02-13-2008, 03:48 PM   #743
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Is one of these P&As the mysteriously lost strip 35? Because that could influence my decision.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:46 PM   #744
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
Is one of these P&As the mysteriously lost strip 35? Because that could influence my decision.
Quite possibly.
Actually, the reason for the confusion was due to the olden times one which I saved under the name 'P and A 035' and I never noticed. I will rectify the mistake at some point.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #745
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Hookbill, what if one can't go to Oxenmoot? Does that mean that we don't get the special edition of the Downer? Because if that is true, then I will be missing out on it...

That's Complete Sadness...
Old 02-14-2008, 10:00 AM   #746
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hookbill, what if one can't go to Oxenmoot? Does that mean that we don't get the special edition of the Downer? Because if that is true, then I will be missing out on it...

I will probably post it on the Downs after Oxonmoot. But some content will be exclusive to Mooters, unless one of them wishes to scan it in or something.
It all depends on how it goes, really, and what format it takes.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #747
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:

That's enough to get me depressed for the rest of the week.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:18 PM   #748
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
I will probably post it on the Downs after Oxonmoot. But some content will be exclusive to Mooters, unless one of them wishes to scan it in or something.
It all depends on how it goes, really, and what format it takes.
Yay! I want to see it, of course I know that I wont be able to go to Oxonmoot because my parents are not going to buy me (and Laurinque) plane tickets to go there... sadness
Quote:
That's enough to get me depressed for the rest of the week.
I am sorry that you are depressed... maybe you will be able to go and get the special edition of the Downer, but of course not all of us can...
Old 02-18-2008, 03:48 AM   #749
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Don't be scared.

This week, Alien becomes musical.
Also, a new character; Puts accents over every vowel man.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:51 AM   #750
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

But there's no accent over the "y", is there?
Old 02-18-2008, 11:05 AM   #751
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
But Y isn't a vowel ... or am I missing an obvious joke here?
Old 02-18-2008, 11:13 AM   #752
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
But Y isn't a vowel ... or am I missing an obvious joke here?
Depends on in which language (you silly English-speakers! ).
Old 02-18-2008, 02:01 PM   #753
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

I'm just glad that you've been distracted from the truly unforgivable atrocities Alien has obviously been involved with.

And now the Weather:

Rain.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:13 PM   #754
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
Depends on in which language (you silly English-speakers!)
Hey if you didn't double up all your letters you wouldn't need extra ones.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:15 PM   #755
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Hey if you didn't double up all your letters you wouldn't need extra ones.
Hey, that's not us who doubles the letters - that's the Finns! *points finger*
Old 02-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #756
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Either write an article about vowels and linguistics, or face the fury of Chat sqururlulrlrs or however you spell it.

A new activity for the newspaper:
I'll begin a story, and anyone can finish it off, if you so wish. Someone could also provide a picture if they so wish.

Police remove Skin in bid to stop crime.

In local news, it has been announced that several residents of The Barrow downs have had their skin confiscated by police. DCI Lalwende of the Yard expressed concern at the latest move by Scottish Yard, saying, "ever since skin was reclassified as a class A drug, davem hasn't stopped buying it."

More on this story as it unfolds. Or rather, as anyone wishes to add to it...
Old 02-20-2008, 11:54 AM   #757
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
And now the Weather:

Rain.
Ice and snow, you incompetent weather man! "Rain" says he!
Old 02-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #758
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:

In local news, it has been announced that several residents of The Barrow downs have had their skin confiscated by police. DCI Lalwende of the Yard expressed concern at the latest move by Scottish Yard, saying, "ever since skin was reclassified as a class A drug, davem hasn't stopped buying it."
While she said this, her skin was stolen from her and she ran off. Everyone on the Downs has been incredibly angry because of this. We interviewed one Wight, Laurinque she said "I like Pie!"...
Old 02-23-2008, 09:12 PM   #759
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooky

Quote:
While she said this, her skin was stolen from her and she ran off. Everyone on the Downs has been incredibly angry because of this. We interviewed one Wight, Laurinque she said "I like Pie!"...
However, an interview with the pie's family reveals the sordid truth about Laurinque - she is in fact a maniac pie murderer.
"I want my daddy," sobbed a little pieling, as her mother tried to explain why her daddy was never coming home.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #760
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
However, an interview with the pie's family reveals the sordid truth about Laurinque - she is in fact a maniac pie murderer.
"I want my daddy," sobbed a little pieling, as her mother tried to explain why her daddy was never coming home.
Since then, nobody has wanted skin, but now we have a bigger problem. They want pie! So the BWH needed to stop this madness by eating all of the pies on the Downs himself.