The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #41
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh I fully expect my existence to be nasty brutish and short. I really haven't got my brain around the set up at all but Kuru deserved a bit of support.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:25 AM   #42
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

So, since I suspect we won't get one more person before tomorrow, I am toying with the idea of eliminating the second visitor role to broaden the pool of ordos and seeing if that will work with 12.

What does the group think?
Old 06-23-2017, 04:04 PM   #43
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I think that would make it more workable for a smaller group, yeah.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:35 PM   #44
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Did anyone post the sign up thread on the facebook page? One last late push/effort?
Old 06-24-2017, 12:38 PM   #45
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Well, I'm not on Facebook so I certainly didn't.

Not hearing any dissenting voices, I will reduce the number of visitors to one. I think the one I will keep will be the Visitor that Dies.

I will wait until tomorrow to send out roles, just in case.

I will again, like last time, be relying on Excel to randomly pick the wizards.

I will, however (and this is an important note), allow people to decline the role of wizard since it is an involved one.

I have a birthday party to attend tomorrow afternoon so I probably won't be sending roles until late tomorrow US time.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:39 AM   #46
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'm in.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:45 AM   #47
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
I'm in.
Steve!!!
Old 06-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #48
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Did anyone post the sign up thread on the facebook page? One last late push/effort?
I did, and then it got reposted. So people have heard. Also btw we pestered Nog and Greenie this weekend again; I'm not sure if they wanted to join still or not. Should check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
I'm in.
Yay!!!

But hey. This all being said, does it mean we are starting now? Because then I am not sure about my participation. I am on holiday the upcoming week and basically traveling a lot, so if it starts now, I am going to be like 99% unavailable until next Sunday. I sorta counted with that it would start only later, when I am safely back. Well it might mean missing like three days, which with these numbers means... not sure if it's worth it for me to take part if it starts immediately. (That said, not sure how many people are aware that this is starting now. Better re-contact them... I just warned Lommy, but not everyone checks the 'Downs regularly these days.)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #49
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Important postscriptum:

Greenie just posted on the Facebook Barrow-Downs page that she would like to sign up, but her 'Downs is acting up. Copypasting the whole post here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green
Fellow wights, I need help! I tried to last-minute sign up for WW just now and the following message showed up:

A Little Green, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Anyone know what this is and how to fix it?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 06-25-2017, 01:36 PM   #50
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Greenie just posted on the Facebook Barrow-Downs page that she would like to sign up, but her 'Downs is acting up. Copypasting the whole post here:
Sounds like a situation for one of the admins.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:43 PM   #51
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

I had intended to start today, but I'm not opposed to putting it off.

I mainly wanted to start before July because Lalaith indicated that she might not be able to play if we waited too long to begin so we're kind of in a bind where we might lose people either way.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:13 PM   #52
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Oh darlings, please don't rush on my account, I'm sure I could hang on for a few days...
How long do you think the game would go on for, Kuru? Things might get tricky for me from around July 20th, should I be spared for that long....
Old 06-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #53
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
Oh darlings, please don't rush on my account, I'm sure I could hang on for a few days...
How long do you think the game would go on for, Kuru? Things might get tricky for me from around July 20th, should I be spared for that long....
It could run for a full week at the absolute limit...which would probably be an absolutely awesome game...but it is unlikely that it will last that long. Probably four or five days would be a realistic expectation.

For me personally it would be better to wait until after June 30 as I've got a work trip on June 29-30 which wouldn't preclude me from posting, but would make it more difficult.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:33 AM   #54
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Boots

Ok. I'm in, if it's still possible to sign in - and let's hope Greenie gets her problem solved as well.

I mean who could withstand the lure of the Dueling Wizards?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:06 AM   #55
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Ok. I'm in, if it's still possible to sign in - and let's hope Greenie gets her problem solved as well.

I mean who could withstand the lure of the Dueling Wizards?
Ha! See, folks, patience pays off

And yes, hopefully if we wait a bit, Greenie's account can also get sorted out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
It could run for a full week at the absolute limit...which would probably be an absolutely awesome game...but it is unlikely that it will last that long. Probably four or five days would be a realistic expectation.

For me personally it would be better to wait until after June 30 as I've got a work trip on June 29-30 which wouldn't preclude me from posting, but would make it more difficult.
That would be also ideal for me; I am back on the 2nd, but obviously if there is a Night 1 first, or even if there's already Day 1 before it, it should not be such a big deal (I should be able to check and make one post or whatever, just not anything very much commited until I am back).

Regarding the rules - which I have finally read - few random questions, Kuru:

Can a dead Good Wizard talk to dead Gifteds? (Same way as when they are alive, i.e. through you?)

What exactly happens if by some unfathomable means the Good Wizard selects the Evil Wizard as a Visitor? Will they get a message "sorry, error" or basically "ok, you didn't make a Visitor, but you scryed an Evil Wizard", or..?

And so what is the final thing about the Evil Wizard killing people? So can the Evil Wizard actually make kills alone, or are the WWs required for that?
Old 06-26-2017, 09:09 AM   #56
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Yes, since we don't need to start this week, sign ups are still open.

We will need to close them no later than July 7 in order to get the game rolling in time. Might end it on July 1 depending on what people think.

Quote:
Can a dead Good Wizard talk to dead Gifteds? (Same way as when they are alive, i.e. through you?)
Since the Netherworld is kind of a dream state anyway, I think that the Good Wizard can PM the Hunter and the Ranger if they are in the Dead Thread whenever. By that point everyone will know who the Good Wizard is anyway. I will clarify that in the rules.

EDIT: This only applies to the Hunter and Ranger. The Good Wizard may not PM either Visitor.

Quote:
What exactly happens if by some unfathomable means the Good Wizard selects the Evil Wizard as a Visitor? Will they get a message "sorry, error" or basically "ok, you didn't make a Visitor, but you scryed an Evil Wizard", or..?
If either Wizard tries to directly act upon the other Wizard in any way their identities are revealed. I will also clarify that in the rules.

Quote:
And so what is the final thing about the Evil Wizard killing people? So can the Evil Wizard actually make kills alone, or are the WWs required for that?
I think the rule is going to be that the Evil Wizard can make kills once he/she has made a wolf.

Last edited by Kuruharan; 06-26-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:17 AM   #57
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Posting to see if I have the same problem as A Little Green, who is having difficulty posting here although she can sign in. (ie, not playing--off soon on holiday).
Old 07-01-2017, 07:33 AM   #58
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Has there been any progress on Greenie's issue?

I am going to give one more week for signups, but will close them (for real this time) on July 7 as we need to get this show on the road at some point.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:49 AM   #59
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
Has there been any progress on Greenie's issue?
I assume if she could post she'd be posting...
Old 07-02-2017, 11:26 AM   #60
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I have read the rules in the link Nerwen sent me. I have never played RPG before, and I am a bit confused, but I am willing to try if you are still short of numbers.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #61
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
I have read the rules in the link Nerwen sent me. I have never played RPG before, and I am a bit confused, but I am willing to try if you are still short of numbers.
You'd be most welcome! It's not exactly an RPG: more like soap opera melded with a savage fantasy/murder-mystery.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:33 PM   #62
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

If I can be of any help, count me in ... but I'm not really sure how it works. I think I'd need to see it happening to catch on, and I might go wrong if I were participating.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:42 PM   #63
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
If I can be of any help, count me in ... but I'm not really sure how it works. I think I'd need to see it happening to catch on, and I might go wrong if I were participating.
Really, the Dueling Wizards theme is new to me as well. However, reading over previous games is an excellent primer if you haven't already been doing so.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:43 PM   #64
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I suppose I should do that especially if the Phantom isn't going to be around to tell me what to do but somehow diving in clueless is more my style.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:54 PM   #65
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Just follow my lead as my signature testifies I'm a pro
Old 07-03-2017, 04:56 AM   #66
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

1420!

Give it a try, Pervinca. I'd be delighted to mentor you. Unless we end up on different sides, of course...

But if you want to ask any questions about the rules, now is probably a good time.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:44 AM   #67
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I am going to have 3 busy days starting tomorrow, though. When does it start?
Old 07-03-2017, 07:15 AM   #68
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
All are welcome! *\o/* *\o/*

Quote:
I am going to have 3 busy days starting tomorrow, though. When does it start?
Roles will go out on Saturday and NIGHT 1 will be on Sunday, which might be Monday for those of us in Australia.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:30 PM   #69
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Seeing that I have a small window of time right now before my life gets hectic....I'm in.

Apparently it's been over four years (?!!) since my last WW game, so I may be bit rusty. This could be interesting.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:37 AM   #70
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Brinniel!!!!!

Just a reminder to everyone that I am closing signups at the end of today.

And a reminder for everyone to please make sure you have space in your PM box. Otherwise I will have to have Hagrid knock down your door to tell you, "Yer a wizard...whomever."
Old 07-07-2017, 08:02 PM   #71
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
Seeing that I have a small window of time right now before my life gets hectic....I'm in.

Apparently it's been over four years (?!!) since my last WW game, so I may be bit rusty. This could be interesting.
*faints deader away*

I thought about texting you, but assumed you would be too busy. I'm so thrilled to be wrong!
Old 07-07-2017, 11:36 PM   #72
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Brinn! This is getting better and better!
Old 07-08-2017, 07:22 AM   #73
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Alrighty, with that I declare signups to be closed.

Roles will go out later today. If I can get confirmation from both wizards we can get NIGHT 1 started at 8 PM US Eastern, which will be the deadline in this game. If not we will have to start NIGHT 1 tomorrow.

Note, I don't live in the Eastern timezone so this is actually more ambitious for me than it may seem.

Since we have 16 players we get to have both Visitors and the Evil Wizard gets four picks (but only three active wolves at any one time).

I have decided that the Good Wizard cannot continue to scry once they reach the Dead Thread. Since the Evil Wizard cannot create any more wolves or scry I thought it fair that the Good Wizard cannot scry.

I believe that is it. Please let me know if I've forgotten anything important.

Again, please make sure your have space in your PM box.

Good luck everyone, and I hope you enjoy the game.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:52 PM   #74
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Due to unexpected contingencies, the game will not begin this evening.

But, we will commence tomorrow evening/morning/afternoon/etc. at approximately this time!

Stay tuned!!!
Old 07-09-2017, 11:59 AM   #75
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'm not sure whether I was in or out, but I have to attend a meeting tomorrow evening. So probably best if I just try to observe this one and get the hang of how it works.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #76
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh you don't have to worry it won't all happen at once because of time differences. Please stay. I don't want to be the only one getting head around the format.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:27 PM   #77
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

OK, I'm scared, but I'll stay! I'll read the rules again.

Will it happen in this same thread?
Old 07-09-2017, 01:31 PM   #78
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

There'll be a separate thread for the actual game. This thread will still be open for game-related announcements, and so forth.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:51 PM   #79
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Inzil is quite right, there will be two threads posted for this game. One for the Living players and one for the Dead players.

Since each DAY and NIGHT phase lasts for a full 24 hours, there is no need to worry about missing any particular period during those times.

The game threads will be posted in just a few minutes.

A reminder to everyone to please go into your User CP, go to Edit Options, and click the box next to "Use Invisible Mode" to go invisible for the game.

Lucky thing for me, I forgot to uncheck it after the last game.

Although, for me I guess it technically doesn't matter as everyone knows I will be PMing all over the place.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:22 PM   #80
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

....So that's what happens when I miss Day One.

Terribly sorry I didn't make it. The day ended up being crazier than I anticipated. It shan't happen again!

P.S. Top notch narration, Kuru! I cackled.