The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-19-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Balrogs and Elvish Spirits

Two questions which may be unworthy of advanced discussion:

The first is simple: where did Tolkien talk about "houseless elves"? I've seen the term bandied about in recent research and I know Houseless Elves are bodyless Elves who refuse the call of Mandos, but I don't recall hearing the term before. Did I pass over it the first few times I read the Silmarillion and UT? Very possible. Is is discussed elsewhere?

The second question is less straightforward, and forgive me if it's been hashed out previously:

Why did the Moria Balrog stay under the mountains for so many thousand years? Even after the Dwarves poked it in the dark, it never (from my understanding) took a stroll in the daylight or moonlight to smell the flowers and feel the summer breeze under it's wings/shadows. Wouldn't a creature filled with such malice towards free people actively hunt out some victims instead of hanging out with the Nameless Things playing hide-and-go-seek? Was the Balrog scared? Of the light, of Gandalf, of Galadriel? Or had it lost the initiative when the Valar deleted its master to Eru's trash bin, there to await the great Permanent Removal?
Old 01-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
Eäralda Halatiriva
Animated Skeleton

Eäralda Halatiriva has just left Hobbiton.
the second question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beregond View Post

The second question is less straightforward, and forgive me if it's been hashed out previously:

Why did the Moria Balrog stay under the mountains for so many thousand years? Even after the Dwarves poked it in the dark, it never (from my understanding) took a stroll in the daylight or moonlight to smell the flowers and feel the summer breeze under it's wings/shadows. Wouldn't a creature filled with such malice towards free people actively hunt out some victims instead of hanging out with the Nameless Things playing hide-and-go-seek? Was the Balrog scared? Of the light, of Gandalf, of Galadriel? Or had it lost the initiative when the Valar deleted its master to Eru's trash bin, there to await the great Permanent Removal?
well, i'd say that perhaps Evil is less crude than you are assuming, and perhaps the Valaraukar are more attuned to the strategy of teamwork than our mortal imaginations are capable of grasping (remember that despite their fana or incarnation, these are ancient Maiar powers coeval with the Istari)......
Old 01-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Can't answer the first question either, but for the second one:

I think it's a combination of two things. First, he might indeed have been too scared. The last thing he knew from the outside world was how the Valar got rid of Morgoth and all his servants they could catch, including, presumably, all other Balrogs. How could be have known that the situation was less hostile outside afterwards? He could have learned it from the Orcs after they invaded Moria, but there is no indication that there was ever an actual contact between them.

The other reason could be that, after the end of Morgoth, he had no master anymore, and no purpose. Sauron must've known about the Balrog after the invasion of Moria, yet the Balrog did not join him (or was never asked to), so Sauron apparently was not sufficient in rank to be a master. Alone, the Balrog indeed seemed to not have any own initiative beyond keeping his doorstep clean from non-evil.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beregond
The first is simple: where did Tolkien talk about "houseless elves"? (...) Did I pass over it the first few times I read the Silmarillion and UT? Very possible. Is is discussed elsewhere?
JRRT wrote about the Houseless in Laws And Customs Among The Eldar, (for example) in section Of Re-birth And Other Dooms Of Those That Go To Mandos.

And this appears in section: Later Quenta Silmarillion II, Morgoth's Ring
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Wakey wakey

I've wondered if the Balrog had gone into some sort of hibernation in the long years between the end of the First Age and the dwarves' delving.

At first (few years/centuries?) it would have feared discovery by the Maiar, Vanyar et al, but effectively it appears to have slept on until discovered. Perhaps being woken up made it extra-grouchy!
Old 01-15-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I often think the Balrog must have found plenty to keep itself busy in the deep and dark places under Moria - maybe tormenting the nameless things that Gandalf says live down there. The Balrog might have been like the Nidhoggr, gnawing at the very foundations of Middle-earth

Or else he/she/it chose to keep out of Sauron's way. It may not have wanted to be used and exploited by him like so many other beings and creatures were used by both Morgoth and Sauron.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Or else he/she/it chose to keep out of Sauron's way. It may not have wanted to be used and exploited by him like so many other beings and creatures were used by both Morgoth and Sauron.
Which is precisely why in 2483 3rd Age was founded the MeSPCB, the Middle-earth Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Balrogs, as a proposed remedy for such exploitation. Unfortunately, all the attendees of the first meeting were incinerated by the guest of honor.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:42 AM   #8
Vaine
Haunting Spirit

Vaine has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beregond View Post

The first is simple: where did Tolkien talk about "houseless elves"? I've seen the term bandied about in recent research and I know Houseless Elves are bodyless Elves who refuse the call of Mandos, but I don't recall hearing the term before. Did I pass over it the first few times I read the Silmarillion and UT? Very possible. Is is discussed elsewhere?

Considering the reason the Balrog went to moria and 'exile' in the first place, I assume its because its afraid or something.
I mean, not alot of news of the world outside would reach it, and perhaps it still believed that the army of the valar were outside ready to slay it at first appearance
Vaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #9
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
But hadn't they (the Balrogs) willingly joined Morgoth? Would they have had the strength of will to turn away from Morgoth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumil View Post
I've wondered if the Balrog had gone into some sort of hibernation in the long years between the end of the First Age and the dwarves' delving.
Hibernation sounds like a good idea. This has also brought a more rudimentary question to my mind: Do Balrogs have wings... er.... I mean...Do Balrogs need to eat? Or for that matter, can they eat? Do they even have mouths?
Old 01-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Wouldn't any fiery creature want to stay deep below the water table? After all, there were floodwaters by the Gate of Moria wherein dwelt the Watcher in the Water.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:14 PM   #11
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe
But hadn't they (the Balrogs) willingly joined Morgoth? Would they have had the strength of will to turn away from Morgoth?
It's pure presumption, but I'd imagine that if you were the last of your kind lurking around Middle-earth then you might be a bit annoyed about the rest of your kin having been wiped out and might start to feel a bit 'used'.

Like Doctor Who is when he returned as the 10th Doctor - he's a bit angry that he's the last one left. As you would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Which is precisely why in 2483 3rd Age was founded the MeSPCB, the Middle-earth Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Balrogs, as a proposed remedy for such exploitation. Unfortunately, all the attendees of the first meeting were incinerated by the guest of honor.
I should imagine they were not short of a box of matches when it came time for their smoke break though
Old 01-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #12
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gordis is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The last thread on Balrog I have participated in came to a following conclusion :

Quote:
So..in summary.

Lazy, slothful, slack, proud, stubborn, a self-centred she-Balrog, with potential history of love interests / issues...

Liked a sleep, had all her Best Orcs guarding her fiery teddy bear in an inner chamber... exceptional hearing..could hear a rock drop from miles away.. perhaps explaining her insomnia??

EMO She-Barlog
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #13
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The Eye

I agree with Rumil. I think that the Balrog went into hybernation for the larger part of the 2 epoch. I think that it was waken by Sauron's willpower when Sauron was gaining strength to fight with Gil-Galad and Elendil. I think that he kind of summoned, and if not, then simply "awoke" all the evil that he could possibly get working. Sauron's first step was to become the master of all evil in M-e, so that he would overpower the good aries. However, the Balrog did not obey his will, and my reasoning for that is Balrog is almost as powerful as Sauron - he, as well as all the Balrogs, were once maiar. Sauron was the most powerful maia under Morgoth's rule (according to the Silmarillion), but I guess that Balrog comes very close. So, instead of joining Sauron's army, he just woke up.