The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 03:45 AM   #1361
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ah well my norse mythology isnt as strong a suit as perhaps it should be for a keen Tolkienista. i was fiiddling around with a to g and indeed the solfege notes but I was still thinking Middle earth so..... I dont think a overall clue is needed

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:56 AM   #1362
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Pomdering if Bronte country means Angria or Gondal. Or just Yorkshire!

Old 05-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #1363
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ah-haaa - keep thinking that way and you'll get that one.

The clues copied to the new page - with those already solved:

1. Finance loses note for the father of a lord.
2. Palindromic hobbit mingled initially with Radagast, before meeting destruction at the place where his erstwhile comrade finally fell.
3. We hear anger and noise in the quiet place, but note the direction.
4. Stop around a while for an (arguably) unjust moniker.
Oin (All-Father loses note for a debt-ridden dwarf (we hear)).
Nobottle (Teetotal Shire village).
7. A hostelry from Brontë country, we hear, inspired an unfinished demise.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:57 AM   #1364
Ardent
Wight

Ardent has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
Is it Fundin? Funding loses the G to become Balin's father.

Quote:
2. Palindromic hobbit mingled initially with Radagast, before meeting destruction at the place where his erstwhile comrade finally fell. ...
Odo (Proudfoot) + R (Radagast's initial) + ruin (destruction) = Orodruin (where both Smeagol and Sauron finally fell).
Not sure where the erstwhile comrade comes into this though unless it's a reference to the kinship of the Hobbits and Smeagol's people.

Last edited by Ardent; 05-23-2013 at 03:42 AM. Reason: 2nd clue
Ardent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #1365
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Ah-haaa - keep thinking that way and you'll get that one.

The clues copied to the new page - with those already solved:

2. Palindromic hobbit mingled initially with Radagast, before meeting destruction at the place where his erstwhile comrade finally fell.
4. Stop around a while for an (arguably) unjust moniker.
Oin (All-Father loses note for a debt-ridden dwarf (we hear)).
Nobottle (Teetotal Shire village).
7. A hostelry from Brontë country, we hear, inspired an unfinished demise.
Ah well I stymied myself thinking of pubs in Gondor (not a fruitful search) but with that encouragement I wonder if it is Gondolin which sounds like Gondal-inn.. and the fall of which is an Unfinished Tale?

And now I am in sound alike mode, I will try Rath Dinen for 3 Wrath and din, Rath dinen means IIRC the Silent Street but I can't quite get the last clause to fit.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 05-23-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: sudden inspiration!
Old 05-24-2013, 05:38 AM   #1366
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
4. Lathspell - halt mixed up and a spell (as in spell of bad weather) for a title that's not that false if you think about it.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #1367
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sorry for the delay. I think the website was down for a short time, and then I was too busy to look in.

I think that between you you've guessed them all, but I'll go through them one by one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent View Post
Is it Fundin? Funding loses the G to become Balin's father.
Perfectly correct.

Quote:
Odo (Proudfoot) + R (Radagast's initial) + ruin (destruction) = Orodruin (where both Smeagol and Sauron finally fell).
Not sure where the erstwhile comrade comes into this though unless it's a reference to the kinship of the Hobbits and Smeagol's people.
Correct answer. As for the reasoning:

Odo, as you rightly point out, is a palindromic hobbit name (the only other hobbit palindrome I know of is Bob, one of Barliman's assistants). You are correct about mingling this with Radagast's initial and joining it with "ruin."

ERSTWHILE COMRADE / ODO:

It was a different Odo that I had in mind.

- Orodruin was where FRODO finally fell to the power of the Ring.
- ODO was the prototype of MERRY in the early drafts of LOTR, where FRODO was the prototype of PIPPIN.
- So Frodo was the erstwhile comrade of Odo, either because Odo was the comrade of Bingo, the character who became Frodo, or because Odo was the comrade of Frodo, who started as Pippin but became the Frodo of the final, finished LOTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Ah well I stymied myself thinking of pubs in Gondor (not a fruitful search) but with that encouragement I wonder if it is Gondolin which sounds like Gondal-inn.. and the fall of which is an Unfinished Tale?
Indeed! Gondal Inn sounds the same as Gondolin. "Unfinished demise" because Tolkien never finished the Fall of Gondolin.

Quote:
And now I am in sound alike mode, I will try Rath Dinen for 3 Wrath and din, Rath dinen means IIRC the Silent Street but I can't quite get the last clause to fit.

Your answer is correct. Rath Dinen is the Silent Street, and hence the quiet place. "Rath" sounds like "wrath" and "din" is "noise." Then add a note - E - and a direction - N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
4. Lathspell - halt mixed up and a spell (as in spell of bad weather) for a title that's not that false if you think about it.
Correct. "For a spell" means "for a while," although perhaps the phrase had its origin in weather terms. And Gandalf does often bring bad news, so one could argue that the moniker is just, even if it does seem mean (and is meant very meanly).

All of which gives us:

FUNDIN - Finance loses note for the father of a lord.
ORODRUIN - Palindromic hobbit mingled initially with Radagast, before meeting destruction at the place where his erstwhile comrade finally fell.
RATH DINEN - We hear anger and noise in the quiet place, but note the direction.
LATHSPELL - Stop around a while for an (arguably) unjust moniker.
OIN - All-Father loses note for a debt-ridden dwarf (we hear).
NOBOTTLE - Teetotal Shire village.
GONDOLIN - A hostelry from Brontë country, we hear, inspired an unfinished demise.

As I like composing cryptic clues, I actually have another couple of password puzzles all ready. Would you like me to post one of them, or would one of the winners like to do the next one?

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 05-24-2013 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Adding replies to further answers to the same post.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #1368
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Great clues Pervinca. I am not sure what the etiquette is now since the password is now obvious but Galadriel who solved the last clue hasn'tclaimed it.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #1369
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

That's what I was thinking. Will wait and see if Galadriel wants to post the next one before I post another one.

Well done everyone!

Quote:
Ah well I stymied myself thinking of pubs in Gondor (not a fruitful search)
I guess if Pippin couldn't find one, no-one could ...

(... unless it was just Minas Tirith that didn't have them).

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 05-24-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #1370
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
That's what I was thinking. Will wait and see if Galadriel wants to post the next one before I post another one.
To be completely honest, I only guessed the last clue because I knew which letter it would start with, and I did not guess the password because I felt bad about stealing it. I haven't really done anything for this round, and I think others deserve to go more that I do.

And anyways I can't be trusted now to check regularly since my workload is growing taller by the hour... So I'm not going to come and claim anything.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #1371
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

OK, would Ardent or Mithalwen like to post one? Either of them could well have got the password had I been able to log on yesterday and confirm their answers.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 05-24-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #1372
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

White Tree

I think it would have taken a while to get lathspell ..it was bugging me. but i could have a go because i should have time rather than because i feel entitled. I am happy to cede to Ardemy.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:24 AM   #1373
Ardent
Wight

Ardent has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I think it would have taken a while to get lathspell ..it was bugging me. but i could have a go because i should have time rather than because i feel entitled. I am happy to cede to Ardemy.
Well I'm happy for you to pose us the next riddle Mithalwrm (I presume "Ardemy" is a typo of Ardent: the M is next to the N and the Y to the T on the keyboard). I did the previous one and prefer to share the burden of deviousness which riddling requires .
Old 05-25-2013, 04:45 AM   #1374
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
But the first post on this thread states that the first one to state the password has the entitlement to the posting of the next password/set of clues, and gets to do so once all the rest of the clues have been solved, and that the guessed password can be used to help solve the remaining ones. FOR-ONG was pretty obvious, so I'd say both of you are more than entitled.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:54 AM   #1375
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Ah I should pay more attention I characteristically grasped the stick firmly by the wrong end and thought it wasn't quite the thing to say the pass word if you hadn't finished it ..in my defence I think the last time I was involved in the thread the setter had dislocated the password sneakily to the other end of the answer which confuzzled me to the point I couldn't get it even when there were all the answers... however as my mama used to say... it DOES help if you read the destructions.

Ardent, forgive me, I was typing late at night on a grey Kindle screen and am in total denial that I may need specs.

OK well I shall try to post ASAP..

Old 05-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #1376
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I thought the same, Mithalwen - I had guessed the Dwarrow one, but I thought we weren't allowed to say it until all the clues were solved. (Then Nerwen posted it and I read the first page again).

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 05-25-2013 at 05:33 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #1377
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Again typing on kindle so while I will try hard to avoid typos....

1 Glimmer fractures around a sigh for lethal epesse.
2 Numenorean declares himself a blade.
3 Heart breaks and loses direction. No good follows here.
4 Dour and doomed standardbearer.
5 Highelven nightingale
6 I host Gail at place with broken spanner.
7 Elder Nan to Celebrimbor at least
8 Sounds like a cursed wand ranging in Ithilien

Old 05-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #1378
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

8. Damrod - a Ranger of Ithilien - damn + rod?

3. A ford and town named Tharbad?

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 05-25-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #1379
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Both correct. Well done.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #1380
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

5. Tinuviel?

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 05-25-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #1381
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Sorry no...

Old 05-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #1382
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I thought that one sounded deceptively easy! (Unless it's Luthien).

Tharbad - Heart breaks and loses direction. No good follows here.
4 Dour and doomed standardbearer.
5 Highelven nightingale
7 Elder Nan to Celebrimbor at least
Damrod - Sounds like a cursed wand ranging in Ithilien

Without looking at family trees, I'm going to guess that Nerdanel was one of Celebrimbor's grandmothers. And thinking about it, I think he is the son of one of Feanor's sons - Celegorm, I think. Nerdanel is an anagram of Elder Nan - very clever!

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 05-25-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #1383
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Giggles.... it might be even easier..

Old 05-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #1384
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

5. Lomelindi?
4. Halbarad?

I'm not in a very cryptic mood, evidently.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #1385
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien? (I added it in an edit). (And Nerdanel for No. 7).
Old 05-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #1386
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Again both correct. This may ne done very quickly

Old 05-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #1387
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Both of Galadriel's, or both of mine? (Or both of both of us?)
Old 05-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #1388
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Sorry cross posted with Pervinca. Lomelind quenya for Nightingale is correct though I suppose since Thingol did go to Valinor Luthien could be regarded as high elven but a bit of a technicality IMO

Old 05-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #1389
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

OK - so was Nerdanel correct?
Old 05-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #1390
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Nerdanel which wasnt thee last time i looked is correct. Seems I tried too hard not to be obscure but momentum is fun too...

Old 05-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #1391
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The key is to make the first one hard, I think. Which I think you've done quite successfully.

I wonder if it's Mithlond?

Halbarad - Dour and doomed standardbearer.
Lomelind - Highelven nightingale
Nerdanel - Elder Nan to Celebrimbor at least

6. Osgiliath?
Old 05-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #1392
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I dont think any are particularly hard but when you get to the point of needing certain letters..

Old 05-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #1393
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Yep anagram of the city where the bridge was broken...couldnt resist one of my punny clues

Old 05-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #1394
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Yes it is Mithlond and are you editing a lot oar am i really unobservant?

Old 05-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #1395
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Yes, I have been editing rather than double-posting - I added Osgiliath after Mithlond.

Halbarad - Dour and doomed standardbearer.
Lomelind - Highelven nightingale
Osgiliath - I host Gail at place with broken spanner.
Nerdanel - Elder Nan to Celebrimbor at least
Old 05-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #1396
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Ah the kindle browser doesnt show edits... i just thought I was losing the plot

Old 05-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #1397
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Oh, I see ... actually I hadn't realised that you could also type/webbrowse/post on a Kindle. I just have a sort of Kindle package on my computer, downloaded for things that you can only get on Kindle.

2. Imrazôr?
Old 05-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #1398
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Oh, I see ... actually I hadn't realised that you could also type/webbrowse/post on a Kindle. I just have a sort of Kindle package on my computer, downloaded for things that you can only get on Kindle.

2. Imrazôr?
Maybe not on all. i have a 3g keyboard version. not ideal but better than nothing . but not good for long posts.

imrazor is correct

Old 05-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #1399
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1. Mormegil, the Black Sword?
Old 05-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #1400
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Indeed..all done and dusted in three hours . Could be a record..