The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Which Middle Earth Race do you most identify with?
Elf 16 30.19%
Human 13 24.53%
Dwarf 8 15.09%
Ent 3 5.66%
Hobbit 13 24.53%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2009, 01:00 AM   #41
TheOrcWithNoName
Animated Skeleton

TheOrcWithNoName has just left Hobbiton.
I would probably say, dwarf.

Okay so I don't follow the physical traits of a dwarf: I'm average build but just over 6ft; and neither do I have a long trailing beard or regulation axe.

But when watching/reading LOTR I do seem to be quite drawn to the mannerisms of Gimli - a little outspoken, will usually speak how I see it; shows little regard for people's titles or standing; impatient at times but is firmly loyal, industrious, likes a good drink; accepts fate & my own mortality on this world; not struck on being "tossed" though. And am a little more tolerant of other creeds & races.

And like Gimli I also think Galadriel is 'hot'!

Last edited by TheOrcWithNoName; 05-19-2009 at 05:49 AM.
TheOrcWithNoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:40 AM   #42
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm glad this thread got bumped up. I voted dwarf.

In real life I'm something of a quiet loner and a bit clannish, spending most of my time with my immediate family and a very few close friends. I also enjoy smithwork (as my profile shows) and prefer the common-sense straightforwardness of the dwarves.

I was particularly endeared to Gimli's description of dwarven hospitality in the film: "roaring fires, malt beer, meat right off the bone".
Old 10-31-2010, 01:13 PM   #43
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I voted for human by process of elimination. I am tired of life at the age of 13, let alone hundreds of millenia - so "elf" doesn't work for me. I am too much in a spotlight to be such a small thing as a hobbit, and I am too impatient for an ent. I guess I could be a dwarf as well, but I am not as blinded by gold. Something about humans that I find in myself is how contradictive I am. If all elves hate Morgoth, not all humans do. It's similar for me. One day my cheer could be "Honesty Rocks", and another day "It's good if it's good for me". I am the laziest and the most hardworking person, someone who hates studying, but studies for fun, etc. In summary, I'm human.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:30 PM   #44
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

xMellrynxMaidenx has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
Leaf

Dwarf, hands down.

I would like to say elf, but alas I am a dwarf. Haha, 'tis fine, though because I like dwarves. The only physical attributes I acquire is the height, sort of. We dwarves are not short, we are "fun-sized". I'm outspoken, and as Andsigil said, I too prefer the common sense straight-forwardness of the dwarves. I'm impatient and I really cannot tolerate those who think themselves higher than me. I could care less if you're president of the U.S., I'll treat you the same way I treat others and you'll just have to deal with it. I dwell in the mountains and coincidentally there IS a mines here .

I am most definitely a dwarf, with maybe a few elven characteristics. I do tend to love to sing, but definitely not on Lúthien Tinúviel's level. I am very much so in touch with nature, though I cannot hear what trees are saying . And I'm rather handy around animals (I've not pressed my luck around wild animals, though lol.)
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."
xMellrynxMaidenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:05 PM   #45
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Pffft! As if a mortal need even ask such an impertinent question. Thou sickly aftercomers, ever with identity crises!
Old 10-31-2010, 07:59 PM   #46
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Stubborn, collect nick-nacks, never throw anything away (yes, an exaggeration), love mountains (and trees, and all those bodies of water even though the big ones scare me), like jewelry but am always misplacing it (it = everything), rather fond of holing myself away and forgetting about everyone else and the troubles they cause (hate confrontation)...I love good food (mm, red meat) and sleep...not fond of change...a little slow, a temper...do not enjoy the company of many...love gifting.

I guess I'm a grumpy Hobbit...one of the crazies in Buckland.

(This is my profile for the new BD dating site, btw)
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:20 PM   #47
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
While I'd love to say an Elf, the truth is a Hobbit Quirky, a little more than odd, food-loving (I don't look it though), a bit of the Tookish side for adventure, and a love for fields of grass and trees and countryside

If I were an Elf, I'd probably disgrace myself for being so clumsy and weird
Old 10-31-2010, 11:23 PM   #48
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
I think I'm possibly one of the annoying tra-la-la-lally kind, though.
Oh rather! I agree heartily for myself I've scandalized more than one teacher of mine...
Old 10-31-2010, 11:26 PM   #49
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMellrynxMaidenx View Post
I could care less if you're president of the U.S., I'll treat you the same way I treat others and you'll just have to deal with it.
That is ONE Dwarvish trait I pride myself on