Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2004, 07:59 PM   #641
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Aylwen-- it didn't seem so obvious to me! No reason to feel stupid, especially since-- you aren't.

Old 10-25-2004, 08:28 PM   #642
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420! plans for Tharonwe and Raefindan & Dreams

I'm posting this up for the general entertainment of the rest of you. It came out of a YIM with Helen, so it reads as only half a conversation. Anyway, here goes:

Tharonwe and Raefindan are going to find that what's left of the merlocks are very angry with Tharonwe, angry enough to revolt. ....which they more or less have started doing already.... So we shall have the women in the conditions I predicted, plus a few scratches.... Tharonwe can move more quickly than his merlocks, and can osanwe where they are, and has heightened senses anyway, so he is unlikely to be wounded by them. Raefindan may slow him down, but that's bad for Rae, not for Thar. Nevertheless, I see the merlocks being sooooooo angry that the chase Tharonwe out of the swamp... which sort of serves Tharonwe's purpose anyway, since he knew he'd have to keep an eye on Amroth's party once his bid for an oath to end the quest was foiled. So now...... Tharonwe finds Raefindan interesting.... and even likeable.... And Tharonwe actually turns out to be capable of engaging conversation.... Meanwhile, Raefindan is feeling very much out of time and place, and is quite reticent about where he comes from, now that it's all come back to him. Raefindan aka Roy Edwards understands the "butterfly effect", and decides that it is absolutely essential that he take as little action as possible so as not to alter the course of history. But this does not stop him from Dreaming.... So we can have the Mithrellas and Imrazor dreaming going on, because Tharonwe causes it - but is not able to completely control it - - he can't control the dreams if they are to work how he needs them to. Mithrellas would detect artificial dreams, and Tharonwe needs these dreams to be real, so he can't mess with them, only cause them.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:49 AM   #643
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

This is great! Edge-of-the-seat stuff.

The elves being seriously distracted at the moment, since Amroth is submerged and Mellondu is barely alive. If the elves are persuasively rallied, they *might* leave Mellondu to deal with something else-- then again, last time someone was left, the consequences were bad, and they'll be edgy about that.

Nethwador is, for the moment, leaderless and baffled and on the fringe.

Time for the men to shine; I will post for Mellonin (hopefully today.)
Old 10-26-2004, 08:02 AM   #644
bolcotook

1420!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

Just because I love this game and you guys are the BEST.

Old 10-26-2004, 08:04 AM   #645
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

*cough*

well, it's true.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:09 PM   #646
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Imladris, the very slightest of slight corrections. In your latest post you said:

Quote:
Then he saw them: two girls: one brandishing a knife to keep the merlocks at bay, another stumbling as she carried his sister.
There are three girls (not counting Gwyl): two (Argeleafa and Mellonin) are carrying Gwyllion, and the other (Bellyn) has the knife.

I have a question (I think for littlemanpoet).

I've put up a SAVE for Leafa on the game thread, scheduled to be filled in when Aylwen's latest post is up, but before I write out my own post...

I'm assuming Leafa has already received her injury? In what form has her 'doom' come? I think the original plan was some sort of injury to the arm; have we gone with this?

I just want to know if she should be experiencing difficulties carrying Gwyllion with a hurt arm, spurred on by fear, etc. etc.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:29 PM   #647
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Nuru, I think I can answer your question. This was in post #528...

Quote:
He moved to Argeleafa and lifted her hair from her head to reveal her left ear. It was not there. Blood streaked her neck.
'He' being Tharonwe.

Yikes, what a bloody turn our journey has come to!

Also, just so the group knows what is going on. I've been very absent lately due to my work on my honors thesis. I'm almost through the writing process (my proposal draft is due on Friday), but it is taking an extreme amount of time away from other things. I've talked to Helen about this, but I just wanted let the everyone know as we are close group in this game.

With that said, I will be trying my best to post again over the weekend (after the draft is turned in). I will continue to be an avid and excited reader in the meantime, as this game still keeps me on the edge of my seat.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:36 PM   #648
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Thank you kindly, Alak!

Considering that it was so obvious, I will go sit with Aylwen and feel stupid, until Helen forcibily drags us from our miserable thoughts.

I'm glad she's got one ear left. Would it not be a pity if she could never hear a song or the strains of a fiddle again?

Faith, but you've let me off easy! I had no idea how to write an injured arm; I've never had one and neither have any family members. But I happen to know a little hobbit-boy who can't hear with his left ear, so I have at least a little experience in the matter.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:40 PM   #649
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Bloody yes!!

If it isn't handled during the course of the game, I want an epilogue where Elessar comes and wipes these nassssssty merlocks off the face of Middle-Earth! And gives Tharonwe a thrashing, too!

I think he should ride a white horse to do it.

Oh, and while I'm at it, I'm putting up a save here ont he discussion thread just in case. *save*

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:54 PM   #650
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

I'd be heartily glad if Elessar completely destroyed the merlocks. They remind me of the water-shrews from King Solomon's Ring who attempted to eat the frog alive. *shudder of horror*

My SAVE is filled. The long line is slowly disappearing... maybe I should put another one up for Liornung?

Thank you kindly, Aylwen! Fine post!

*trails off to contemplate how she is going to turn this into 'book form' at the close so the lads can read it easier* (It's awfully exciting; they'll want to read it.)

It's awfully hard turning it into 'book form,' you know. So many different points of view to intertwine in a flowing way. Maybe I'll just leave it as it is and let them go through it the same way I'm doing it. It works that way.... I'm not lost.

(Maybe you are with my senseless rambling )
Old 10-26-2004, 08:04 PM   #651
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
My save is filled! Sorry about all the saves I've been putting up, but I have a limited amount of time online lately (I just opened in a show), and I want to be able to keep up with the action.

Great posts from everybody--I'm so enjoying this.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:49 PM   #652
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Good luck with your show, Orual.

My save has been filled.

Nuru, I have fixed my post as well. Sorry about that....didn't you know that two and one = four???

Old 10-27-2004, 03:42 PM   #653
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

I put a post about Mellonin into that very same slot I had used for my nonconformist comment. Gee, it did come in handy.

What will we do now that there are no saves to be filled in??
Old 10-27-2004, 03:44 PM   #654
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Oooh, good. That congo line of saves was getting really crazy.

And I'm very proud of your non-conformist posting, Helen.

Quote:
What will we do now that there are no saves to be filled in??
Let's post without saves! YES! That's a good plan. Hopefully I can get one up tonight...Wednesdays are my free nights.

-Aylwen
Old 10-28-2004, 06:04 AM   #655
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Ripped out the last paragraph where Nethwador returned to Taitheneb. So Nethwador and Bella are still at the battleground.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:33 AM   #656
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Gwyllion's dead??

...Really?

Oh...

*cries softly*

But...anyway...great posts, everybody. I'm getting quite caught up.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:17 PM   #657
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

I plan on keeping Erebemlin's involvement at the battleground minimal; his heart is back with Taitheneb and Mellondu-Amroth, and he will return to them as quickly as he may.

Most of Mellondu's energies right now are involved in keeping Amroth subdued and submerged.

Amroth is quite annoyed about this, but he has pushed the boy's body perilously close to death, and realises he is walking a fine line between the the wreckage of his quest at Tharonwe's hands, or the final end of his quest at Mellondu's death. He is laying low. If he tries hard to resurface, Mellondu's fever will spike into delirium.

I would guess that Liornung and Ĉdegard will be with Erebemlin helping Leafa? I left room for that, or tried to.

Erundil is at odds, at the moment. He may be the only person there with a somewhat objective view of things.

I don't imagine that they would want to bury poor Gwyllion in the swamp; they would want to get her to dry ground. The horses, however, have been run to the limit of their endurance; they must rest. If I were leading the company, I'd give them a full day, perhaps two (and I'd be annoyed with Amroth and the elves for pushing them.)

Given that it is winter, December, the ground will be hard in many places and they would have to search for a very sunny spot if they were to bury Gwyllion; a cairn might be a better option.

However, since it is December, keeping Gwyllion above ground for a day or two in the freezing temperatures won't be a problem; I imagine they would shroud her in a blanket and perhaps tie her onto a horse (unless they can cut some branches somewhere and make a travis?)

Between burying Gwyllion, keeping Mellondu alive, and getting everyone else treated and healed up, the band has quite a lot to do. I doubt they'll take the time to bury the twenty dead merlocks? And the other twenty merlocks are still at large (although those are now well-fed, having consumed their fallen companion, and will be even better fed once the band leaves the battlefield.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:59 PM   #658
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Ripped out the last paragraph where Nethwador returned to Taitheneb. So Nethwador and Bella are still at the battleground.
Yeah. I took advantage of that in my last post.

Nethwador can return to Taitheneb in your next post, if you wish it, or if you would like it better I can add to my post that he leaves to go with Taitheneb. Whatver you prefer...?

*yawns*

-Aylwen
Old 10-28-2004, 05:35 PM   #659
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

I just wanted to put forth my ideas about the upcoming conflict that will arise between Ĉdegard and Argeleafa, for littlemanpoet's approval.

When Ĉdegard tells Leafa that he cannot marry her, due to the lack of a hand, she, being such a meek, timid, submissive girl, will give in, though sorrowful. They can be miserable for a time, and then Liornung will find out what's going on and he will take on the role he's had for a long time: the fiddler who's forever fixing up affairs between two young lovers. He might not fix things (right away?), but he'll certainly talk with both of them.

Will this contradict anything you had in mind? Is the idea all right in itself?

Beautiful posting, everyone. I'm sure Helen's awfully proud of you as a leader would be, and I'm awfully proud of you all as my fellow soldiers!
Old 10-28-2004, 07:22 PM   #660
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420!

Nuru, I hope my post wasn't a little too - um - romantic....

anyway, your ideas do sound good to me. They don't conflict with anything I'm thinking. But Ĉdegard isn't likely to bring up what's on his mind really quickly, because he is such a mull-er. So there may be plenty of opportunity for the two to read and mis-read each other before what they really think/feel comes to the surface.

Hope that works for ya!
Old 10-29-2004, 11:49 AM   #661
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Not too romantic, I think. There weren't any passionate speeches of love... that might puzzle Leafa a bit.

It all sounds good.

This couple sure does have to go through a lot, don't they?

It's a good thing Liornung's around.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:42 PM   #662
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

I'm stalled a bit because I had YIM'ed with alak and she had been planning for Erebemlin to round everybody up and move camp away from the battleground, hopefully southward-- is that away from the merlocks at this point, lmp? I hope so. I'm not sure if Erebemlin's move has happened yet? I may take the liberty just to push things along. And I think if we do move, it won't be *that far* (Very tired horses, very tired campers) and Mellonin and Mellondu won't wake up at all. I imagine Erebemlin would carry Mellondu (i.e. hold him in front of him as he rode) and Ravion would carry Mellonin (same way.)

Or, we could have a protracted argument about the move, decide against it much to Erebemlin's annoyance, post an elvish guard-- Taitheneb and Erebemin could take turns-- and everyone else could sleep by the fire. The fire is at least several bowshots away from the battleground.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:19 PM   #663
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Helen, Erebemlin has taken charge and given orders to move.

I have given enough room that if anyone wishes to argue with him...it is very possible. I do think that they really do need to move as it seems they are still awfully close, and it may help psychologically, too, to put some distance between the events and their campsite. This, of course, is open to debate.

Aylwen, I hope Bellyn will tell Erebemlin of her dream. I think it will be a reminder to him to continue the quest, even if Amroth is not "present".
Old 11-01-2004, 08:01 PM   #664
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe

I tried to post this yesterday but my internet service was uncooperative.

The way I see it, the humans are all pretty demoralized after the loss of Gwyllion and the wounds to all who received them, not to mention the loss of Raefindan to Tharonwe's schemes. In such a state, I can't think of anyone to get in an argument with Erebemlin that might otherwise in a more rested and brighter frame of mind.

The merlocks will be quite busy feeding on their own. They are not stupid. They saw how easily they were picked off by the group of humans and Elves and do not relish another attack when there is more than enough to eat. The strongest motivation that they have at this point, after sating their lust for biped flesh, is revenge against Tharonwe for betraying them into the slaughter they have experienced.

That's my take, at any rate, so go with Erebemlin leading the group out of the swamp.

Tharonwe and Raefindan are, and will be, farther out of the swamp than the group. Maybe one of the Rangers will pick up their trail, if they happen across it (something that Tharonwe has considered, and is therefore pushing ahead quickly, since he's sure that Amroth is still heading toward Nimrodel).

Which means, come to think of it, that Tharonwe is more or less leading the group to Nimrodel. Whether they would think of that or not is in doubt. Whether Tharonwe would think of this and stop, has yet to be determined. Any thoughts?
Old 11-01-2004, 08:33 PM   #665
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Pipe

Quote:
Which means, come to think of it, that Tharonwe is more or less leading the group to Nimrodel. Whether they would think of that or not is in doubt. Whether Tharonwe would think of this and stop, has yet to be determined. Any thoughts?
Begin Tuppence:

I think that the elves, remembering how eager Amroth was to confront Tharonwe, would want to avoid letting him get too far away, in case Amroth resurfaced. I don't think it would be an avid pursuit.

Nimrodel is still in South Gondor, in the regions of the paths of the dead. I'm imagining that, if they knew they were headed to South Gondor, the group will head towards Mindolluin rather than crossing the White Mountains in winter? And I don't see the Gondorians objecting to that; how the Rohirrim will feel about it is another question.

Perhaps the Gondorians (Especially Erundil and Ravion) see their duty to return home and report what they have seen? The elves don't argue since Tharonwe is going that way. Mellondu and Mellonin are not sorry to be headed home-- that is, Mellondu isn't sorry until he has more dreams about Nimrodel.

I'm not sure what Aeron would think about returning to Gondor... Immy?

I've got to get back into having my characters dreaming... perhaps when Erebemlin is happily setting up camp further from the battleground.

End tuppence.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:56 PM   #666
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Quote:
I'm not sure what Aeron would think about returning to Gondor... Immy?
Aeron won't care....he never really did care where he went as long as he didn't get in trouble...but even the merchant won't scare im now.

Old 11-03-2004, 06:55 PM   #667
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien

Tharonwe is the name given to the swamp Elf to characterize him as less than noble, if I recall rightly. What does the name mean?

I need a name for this Elf that he would consider more appropriate for himself, with which to represent himself to Nimrodel and Mithrellas. I can't imagine a suitor saying, "Hi, I'm Mr. Dirty Sniping Rat. May I court you?"

What are the naming practices of Elves? What would the swamp elf have been named by someone who had the right and caring to name him well?
Old 11-03-2004, 08:20 PM   #668
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Ummmm... You tell us? It's easier to come up with something if we have a direction to look in.

Something character-driven?

Or something environmental: Legolas means "Grean Leaf". Really quite humble for a prince...

Physical characteristic? Glorfindel means "Golden Hair."
Old 11-04-2004, 03:38 PM   #669
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

These come to mind - in a sort of stream of consciousness.

Quick silver

Silver dusk

Quick dusk

I lean toward the middle one, except that it loses the sense of quickness that Tharonwe has exhibited, and it just feels like he has. You might say quickness of thought is one of his greatest strengths. But quick silver is too stereotypical for my liking. Quick dusk is laughable. At least, to me.

Quick silver dusk?

______ celeb lomë?
______ celeb moth?

curu - skill?
maeg - sharp?

Maegeleb?
Curuceleb?
Curumoth?
Maegelebomë?
Maeglebomë?
Old 11-04-2004, 04:53 PM   #670
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

I like Sharpsilver. A compliment intellectually-- but a little frightening in general.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:45 PM   #671
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien

Maegeleb, then. Sharpsilver. That was really my first choice from a sound-out point of view too.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:54 PM   #672
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

1. All of Gondor is slow this week-- it's not just us.
2. I feel rather stalled out, and i think I'm not alone.
3. The last time I felt this stalled out was when I posted this... So...

(Lord, what's next? Where does all this go, or when do we weave it back into the plan as defined? How do we take care of all the maimed and the dead, and how do we get Raefindan back and capture Tharonwe? And.... what else? Inspire all of us, please...)

Last edited by mark12_30; 11-08-2004 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:12 PM   #673
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Question

Good stuff, Orual. I'll be sleeping on that, and post tomorrow. It's past me bedtime!

X^o
Old 11-11-2004, 07:48 PM   #674
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

My save as of yesterday has been filled...

Old 11-12-2004, 08:46 AM   #675
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

A bit of a problem...

As of yesterday, my computer has grown quite ill and I am unable to turn it on. I have placed a save on the board for Erebemlin that I will fill in the few days. I have had another computer offered to me while I make arrangements for mine to be checked and fixed, but I will have to travel to obtain it. Hopefully, I will be able to pick it up this weekend and not miss anything.

Wonderful posting, everyone...I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens to Rae...I'm mean Roy.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:11 AM   #676
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Pipe

Orual,

Mellondu does not yet know what to think of Ravion; but he is quite close to his sister, and could get very defensive of her and very suspicious of Ravion's intentions. Or they could get along well. Who knows? I don't, yet.

Everyone:

At this moment, looking at the story, I have the sense that Amroth is not to be driving the plot, not yet. I am looking for more input from Ravion, the elves, and the men-folk: Ĉdegard, Liornung, Argeleafa, Bella. And what of Aeron? Where will he go, what will he do? Will he follow anybody at all?

Will the group unite in the attempt to free Raefindan? Or will a few pursue him, and the rest depart?

And (perhaps more to the point) when and if Raefindan is freed, what then?

Amroth is submerged; Mellondu is found; Gwyllion is dead; Ĉdegard and Argeleafa are maimed. Why go any further? From a mannish perspective, for all but Mellondu, the quest is done-- Mellondu is found and re-united with his sister.

(Taitheneb and Erebemlin are another matter; I think they will hang on to hope with The Patience Of The Elves.)

Those men (Nethwador and Bella come to mind) whose allegiance was fixed on Amroth, may coast on that old allegiance for a while yet; but eventually, unless Amroth resurfaces, they will now be either leaderless, or they must adopt Erebemlin as their leader; either way, a choice must be made.

Mellondu is relaxed and easy-going, generally speaking.

I wonder if it's time for a sort of 'council-of-elrond' chapter. Otherwise, it seems to me that the group would splinter and much of the Rohan group would go home. If the Rohirric men-folk remain on the quest, they each need a new Reason, or, an assurance (for Bella and Nethwador) that their old purpose is still good.

Amroth had a link with Raefindan, and that was what got us to this point; but Amroth is now submerged. If the Rohirrim are to stay and pursue Raefindan, I think that must come from Ravion at this point; and he must be persuasive about it. Mellonin (when she wakes up) will also plead for Raefindan; but with everything that she has put everyone else through, especially the death of Gwyllion, she will plead and not demand.

Last edited by mark12_30; 11-12-2004 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:21 PM   #677
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Well, Liornung for one isn't going home. He has the Ballad to spur him on, and his promise to Good Secgrof. That promise is enough to give him an allegiance of a sort to Amroth. He has no certainty that thing won't start happening sooner or later, and he has no real reason to return to his home, for his home is the road.

Argeleafa will go where Ĉdegard goes, or at least until he tells her he can't marry her.

Liornung isn't going to have too much to do with any of the decision-making, for he doesn't feel quite qualified, but he feels the group is choosing something radically wrong, he'll speak up.

Now I'll go see if I can work in a post.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:49 PM   #678
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe

Thanks, alak, for your interestin Rae/Roy.

I don't see it quite the way you do, Helen.

The Rohan group were in this for Amroth (Mellondu). As for Ĉdegard, Béthberry's admonition of a "meant-to-beness" (or something to that effect) stuck with him, and he is in this to follow it through. I think it's the same for all the Rohan group, that they're in to help Amroth find Nimrodel....it's what he's been talking about since the get-go.

The Gondor group's task is the one that's ended: Mellonin and Mellondu are reunited... but Mellondu has this Elf spirit inhabiting him, and that will affect each Gondor group character according to their lights as individuals and as characters.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:13 PM   #679
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Okay.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:33 PM   #680
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

So sorry about my flakiness! Things have been a little crazy lately, but crazy in a good way...either way, one thing led to another and I completely flaked on you guys. My apologies, and my thanks to lmp for helping me out. (Could you actually see the relief on my face? )

Since we're discussing plans, I'll chip in my two cents as to Ravion. His original mission--helping Mellonin find Mellondu--has been accomplished. However, he will, once everyone is healed enough to travel, want to find Raefindan. When that's accomplished, I think his motivation will have a lot to do with what Mellonin wants. However, if I don't continue to flake and Ravion develops a friendship with Mellondu, he'll probably want to help Mellondu in his own journey, especially considering Ravion's gratitude for Mellondu helping to save Mellonin.

And Aeron is also a consideration, as Ravion feels responsible for him, and guilty about Gwyllion's death.