The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-03-2003, 05:06 PM   #1
Meoshi
Wight

Meoshi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Most visually stunning scene

Not necessarily the prettiest, but which scenery was, in your opinion, the most breathtaking? (i.e. most detail, best 'mood')
Meoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 06:08 PM   #2
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

Oh, I think it has to be that scene where Aragorn and I are standing on that cliff overlooking that valley with that sunset in the background and the music and he looks deep into my eyes that are just as blue as his and...<P>...<P><BR>In which movie? Or overall, so far? Moria blew me away in the first one. Ditto for Gandalf falling with the Balrog in the opening shots of TTT. Too bad it pretty much went downhill from there.<p>[ July 03, 2003: Message edited by: Lush ]
Old 07-03-2003, 08:10 PM   #3
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Moria was A-Mazing! Especially the dwarven city Dwanendelf...
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 09:30 PM   #4
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
White-Hand

I loved everything for Rivendell and Lorien. I also really liked the scene at the end of FotR with the river and the huge statues. Twas quite majestic.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:46 PM   #5
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

No doubt the final seconds of TTT, where you have that perfect view over Mordor with all the lightning and the three Nazgūl in the air. That is simply beautiful! <P>That scene did what nothing else in those movies have been able to. It nearly made me cry because of the beauty in it.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:56 PM   #6
Frodo2968thewhite
Haunting Spirit

Frodo2968thewhite has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Frodo2968thewhite
Ring

when Arwen appears to Aragorn in a dream, the scenery with the music is UNBELIEVEABLE!
Old 07-04-2003, 02:57 AM   #7
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

in ttt during sam's speech when the camera shows the isengard and the water just gushes and fills the abysses.<BR>and all the ents...beautiful!<p>[ July 04, 2003: Message edited by: dancing spawn of ungoliant ]
Old 07-04-2003, 08:44 AM   #8
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Cuthalion
Sting

Without question..The Black Gate.
Cuthalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 10:52 AM   #9
The_Hand
Haunting Spirit

The_Hand has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

The Black Gates! I totally agree. That and the view of Mordor in ttt with the nazguls flying and everything... perfect. I also loved everything in Hobbiton!! The music was lovely and Bag End was so real.
The_Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 11:23 AM   #10
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Minas Tirith.<P>And the moment when everything goes silent and all you can hear is the background music, and all you can see is 2000 Rohirrim and one white wizard galloping down a slope.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:05 AM   #11
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Meela is definitely right. <P>Right after Eomer yells "TO THE KING!!!!" you can almost feel a pause for everyone to draw a lungful of air, right before they start charging down the slope. I also loved the way that when Gandalf rode up to the brink, it seemed like a sun was rising, because a sun was indeed rising for Middle-earth, Aragorn. He was coming into his heritage as King of Gondor and Arnor, and that was definitely a sunrise for Middle-earth.<P>Another very stunning scene was Saruman egging his army on in Isengard. As soon as he walked out onto the balcony, and the camera panned over the sea of Uruk-hai, it seemed like all the breath whooshed out of me when I saw that. I could almost feel Grima's despair, when I saw that tear roll down his face, and I could almost feel the animal bloodlust of the Uruk-hai.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 02:01 AM   #12
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The exterior scene when they zoom in around Edoras in Rohan, now that was cool.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 11:05 AM   #13
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I like the scene when the camera is showing the edge of the wall in the Helm's Deep and it passes rows of Men and Elves and then there is only a upper side of a cap and another Elf and the row continues . <BR>But if talking seriously than I liked the Dead Marshes with those lights and dead faces in the water . Fanaticly-tastick ! As well as I liked the scene when they were in Moria at the tomb of Balinand the drums are starting and when Boromir looks out the door and turns back and says "Great!They have a Cave-troll!" or something like that . I liked the looik on B.'s face and the way he said that sentence .
Old 07-07-2003, 03:39 PM   #14
Theoric Windcaller
Haunting Spirit

Theoric Windcaller has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I loved at the very end of the Fellowship when Frodo and Sam are descending into the Emyn Muil.<P>I also loved it where Gandalf was dressed in white on Shadowfax, and he rode down in to meet the armies at Helm's Deep.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:36 PM   #15
Meoshi
Wight

Meoshi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The scene in FotR with the Barad-Dur flyover was my favorite. The lava landscape, the appearance of terribly huge scale, the music(great music, too bad it's so short)...all worked together to create an appearance of sublime creepiness.<p>[ July 09, 2003: Message edited by: Meoshi ]
Meoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 02:57 PM   #16
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

There are many visually stunning scenes in both films. The visualisation of ME and the camera work are two of the greatest acheivments of the films in my view. So I agree with most of the views expressed here.<P>But there is one scene that has not yet been mentioned and since it is, to my mind, the most spine-tingling of both films, I feel it does deserve mention here. It is when Gandalf is imprisoned on top of the Tower of Orthanc and the camera follows the moth to Gandalf and then careers over the side and plummets straight down the Tower directly into the caverns below it. When I saw that in the cinema, I was utterly amazed.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:21 PM   #17
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i can only agree with all these scenes you mentioned.I would like to add the Gandalf scene when he's on top of Orthanc and the Orcs bring all the trees down....I was so shocked.I'm a great nature-lover and allways feel sorry for trees being cut down.This was a whole forest of strong old and beautiful trees being brought down!I couldn't stop thinking of all the creatures wich would be homeless or killed then.Horrifying.I conforted myself with the idea of the Ents on the vendetta.....
Old 07-11-2003, 06:06 PM   #18
Estella Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Estella Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Estella Brandybuck
Sting

Dwarrowdelf, the Bridge of Khazad-dūm, and the scenes with the Balrog. One of my favorite shots from FotR was when Gandalf was facing the Balrog, and the camera pans as that sphere surrounds Gandalf and the Balrog draws his flaming sword... *passes out*<P>Another scene that I love to watch in FotR - when Frodo offers Galadriel the Ring, and that darkness comes over her. Very powerful, and very frightening.<P>And I believe someone already mentioned the flooding of Isengard... I started crying when I first saw that part. I just love Merry and Pippin's faces as they watched it all...<P>And of course, the scene that has been mentioned a lot in this thread (and for good reason) - when Gandalf, Éomer, and the rest of the Rohirrim charge down the hill. Not only do I love the visual part of that scene, but the music really adds to the majesty of it all, I think. Just listen to Forth Eorlingas on TTT soundtrack - even without the movie playing, the music really blows me away.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>But there is one scene that has not yet been mentioned and since it is, to my mind, the most spine-tingling of both films, I feel it does deserve mention here. It is when Gandalf is imprisoned on top of the Tower of Orthanc and the camera follows the moth to Gandalf and then careers over the side and plummets straight down the Tower directly into the caverns below it. When I saw that in the cinema, I was utterly amazed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That shot takes my breath away every time.
"But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards." - RotK

Do you enjoy reading and writing LotR fanfiction?
Estella Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 11:31 PM   #19
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

Nehani has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nehani
Tolkien

I feel that all the shots that have been stated are breath-taking, but I could feel the darkness of the battle of Helm's Deep. I know that it wasn't one of the scenes with wonderful imaging, but I feel that the acting, and wonderful directing really brought out the wonder and fear in that scene. I dunno, maybe I'm clueless!

"The Way Is Closed. It Was Made By Those Who are Dead. The Way is Closed."
Nehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 04:28 AM   #20
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dūm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

When the camera was swivelled over those snowy mountains in FOTR, that was breathtaking.<BR>Also, when Gandalf is rescued by the Eagle Lord from Orthanc and the battle of Helm's Deep; I could feel the floor vibrating!

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 04:40 AM   #21
Kaiserin
Wight

Kaiserin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Visually stunning scenes... let me see...<BR>I loved that landscape view of Imladris - one of those scenes that made me ask, "How the heck do they make a set like THAT?"... And Moria, of course; the Gates of Argonath; the Batle of Helm's Deep ... and that scene with the Oliphaunts made me laugh, though I don't exactly remember why.<BR>I liked some of the scenes that never actually happened in the books - such as that part right after Arwen crossed over the river with Frodo, and "called" the water to come rushing <I>literally</I>like speeding horses... the arrival of the elven army in TTT was also cool, though it didn't actually happen (The alterations did upset me, though I must admit I enjoyed the synaesthetic appeal).
Old 07-17-2003, 06:07 AM   #22
Elentįri
Wight

Elentįri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There were lots of bits, but what I found really amazing was the bit whereI think you see the whole of the Barad-dur for the first time. You go up this tower and it looks absolutely huge... and I was thinking wow! How big is this???... And it turns out to be only a small turret in the tower........that absolutely took my breath away...
Old 07-19-2003, 11:12 AM   #23
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I loved the Dwarven city of Dwarrendelf (sp?) in Moria. I also loved Gandalf's fight with the Balrog in the beginning of TTT, and when Legolas, Aragorn, and Gimli are running, and the sun rises behind them. but I think the music really made that scene...I dunno. But also when Aragorn was riding back to helm's Deep after he fell off the cliff, and he rides up on tis hill, and the sun rises, and, again, the awesome music. And also the battle of Helm's Deep--Now THAT was awesome!!!