The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-17-2002, 11:02 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril *TTT - Merry and Pippin (Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd)*

How did you like Merry and Pippin's portrayal in this movie?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 02:25 AM   #2
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

It kind of bothered me that Merry knew a lot of stuff that he would have absolutely NO knowledge about. Meanwhile Pippin just stood there while Merry rambled, probably thinking about elevenses, luncheon, etc. <P>Otherwise, they were great! <p>[ December 18, 2002: Message edited by: TolkienGurl ]
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 05:13 AM   #3
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe it's difficult to explain Merry's knowledge in the movie context - but I cannot see why he shouldn't know about these things? & in the books (& there are hints of it in FOtR) he's certainly a bright person.
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 05:18 AM   #4
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I liked what both characters did. I liked what Merry said at the Entmoot... I thought it was a nice speech.<BR>It just bothered me that they were riding Treebeard the whole time (that sounds kinda bad ). I guess that some of the other scenes they did were cut for the theatrical version. It's a shame, because from what I understand they did film the stuff with Treebeard in Wellinghall.<BR>It did not bother me as much this time, though, as it did the first time.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 08:34 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

I was glad that Pippin became more serious and grown-up in this movie. Yes, Merry did get the intelligent remarks, though Pippin's idea saved the day. Interestingly, it was one of those instinctive moments that have been discussed on the <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002586" TARGET=_blank>Pippin's Sixth Sense</A> thread. He does seem to have an affinity for those!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 10:41 PM   #6
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I liked them, but there wasn't enough of them to make me really happy. Every time they came on screen I perked up, but when it went to something else right away I thought, "A short scene again!"<P>A lot of this is tied in with Treebeard and the Ents, but I'll leave that for the Treebeard thread.<P>So, the parts before they meet Treebeard. Loved 'em. Happy, happy! Pippin uses his wits, and the Uruk-hai are just drop-dead scary. Did you catch the cannibalism? Eek! Grisnakh and that other Orc who wanted to eat Merry and Pippin were creepy ugly, and M&P's reactions to them were good. "What about their legs? They don't need them, do they?"<P>My one complaint about them is that after the Orc escape they are allowed to be forgotten for lengthly periods of time, and then their scenes are mostly riding around on Treebeard. I liked them in the Entmoot. But I missed the Pippin/Palantír stealing scene as well as them being the gatekeepers of Isengard, etc. But that is simply a matter of being patient and waiting till RotK (I hope), so I won't complain too much.<P>I'm not sure what you mean by Merry knowing too much. What was it that he knew? Forgive me, I only saw it once so far and there was a lot to take in.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:09 AM   #7
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

They never had enough screen time for my liking. I did like their parts, but they were too far and few between.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:19 AM   #8
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am <I>really</I> happy with the new Merry and Pippin. It's sad that they are not Tolkien's Merry and Pip, but they are SO much better then the FotR ones. I missed the parts where they did the "Gollum gollum" thing to Grishnakh and where they greeted Gandalf, Aragorn and the rest at Isengard (actually that part might be in RotK), but I am happy with the parts they got, and if there are more in the extended version, grreeaat! <BR>~M
Old 12-19-2002, 12:24 AM   #9
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Question

Oh wait, this reminds me: What was that whole part about dumping Merry and Pippin down in front of Gandalf and then cutting to another scene and forgetting about it? The Hobbits weren't supposed to realize Gandalf was alive until he showed up at Isengard. I loved that part, where Pippin cries out in surprise at seeing Gandalf, and Gandalf snaps at him as usual. Here there was no reaction depicted for Merry and Pippin, which was a shame since in FotR they showed Pippin's particular sorrow and guilt outside of Moria. Yet another instance where a chance for a good scene was exchanged for something else.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:10 AM   #10
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Merry and Pippin were great. And of course Merry would know the old tales about the Old Forest, why on Earth wouldn't he? Inquisitive lad that he is.<P>Limited screen time, but that was expected.<P>"We have decided that you are not Orcs."<BR>"Well that's good news!"
Old 12-20-2002, 04:48 AM   #11
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What portrayal? They were hardly shown in the film! Pippin had, what, two or three lines???<BR>I would've liked to see much more of them. And even if Pippin made a clever move on Treebeard in the film, he was still too much in Merri's shadow. Pippin being one of my absolute favourites in the book, I didn't really appreciate that. But I do love Billy Boyd as Pippin!
Old 05-12-2003, 01:59 PM   #12
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I personally was very very happy with them. Billy and Dom had great chemistry together and worked well as a pair. I prefered them in FoTR because we saw more of them. I found myself fidgeting in TTT waiting for more Merry and Pip. I hear there's a lot more of them in the extended dvd. Not quite Tolkien's hobbits, I agree, but they still did a good job.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:36 AM   #13
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I didn't like the way they were never portrayed as being individuals. They are always paired together. It's not very fair. They both have individual characteristics.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:41 AM   #14
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think Pippin & Merry weren't given enough time in the movie ( obviously ), &, although I'd have to say I didn't like what Merry said at the Entmoot, that's probably just because I wish the Ents would've been normal like in the books. It seems like Pippin is just there to be funny & wonder where all the food is. It's alright to be funny, but in the books, he certainly wasn't a bozo!
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 09:54 PM   #15
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Location: Wellington, New Zealand (Middle-Earth Baby Yeah!!!)
Frodo 007 has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I quite enjoyed Merry & Pippin in TTT!!! I also enjoyed them in FOTR but in TTT they were not on screen for very long, well not as long as the other characters, anyway...hopefully there will be more of them in ROTK
Old 06-10-2003, 10:29 PM   #16
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Oh man, i liked the "dont talk to it merry! youll encourage it!" man, that was a classic!

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote