The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-09-2003, 05:01 AM   #1
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril My Worst Nightmare

I know there are other threads about dreams but this one strongly pertains to the movies.<P>You see, I had a dream a couple of nights ago that was more like a nightmare. I dreamed that I had gone to see RotK and it was ONLY A SO-SO MOVIE!! NOOOOOOOO! I woke up and found out that everything is alright, that the movie isn't out yet, and it probably will be better then so-so.<P>But now I'm thinking that I need serious mental help if my worst nightmare is RotK not being up to my standards.<p>[ June 09, 2003: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 06-09-2003, 10:46 AM   #2
Lossentilien
Wight

Lossentilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, there are a lot of people who'd be right up there with you. After all this anticipation and exctiement, if ROTK is not absolutly fantastic, as is expected, my world will most likely crumble. I mean, we've been waiting years for this, if it turns out badly PJ's career may be non-existent. There's a lot riding on this film, and to hear the teasing comments from cast and crew about how wonderful it's going to be, I'd feel pretty angery and betrayed if it's all rubbish.... <BR>Maybe we're all need serious mental help......
Old 06-09-2003, 01:22 PM   #3
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Yes, I actually have to agree, if ROTK is not up to my standards I think I will just DIE! (Not really, but I will be very sad)<BR>I have waited so long, and heard all these things about it being PJ's favorite, and all of the actors crying when they saw the rough cut. It better be a good movie, or I will be very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very MAD
Old 06-09-2003, 02:05 PM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Rotk will be fine. I'm not expecting anything in particular, as long as Denethor's actually in it. That's all I require to keep me happy.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:02 PM   #5
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Meela, do you know how GOOD Brad Dourif looks in sunglasses?!?!? Woo...<P>My friend had a dream where she watched the whole of RotK. She said it was awesome. I sure hope so!
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 05:10 PM   #6
Wolvaurynomir
Pile O'Bones

Wolvaurynomir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Wolvaurynomir
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I think Rotk will be fine. I'm not expecting anything in particular, as long as Denethor's actually in it. That's all I require to keep me happy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm sure film-makers around the world would love to take you to dinner just for that one statement, Meela. I think moviegoers everywhere should be easy to please like that. I only wish I was, sometimes.
Wolvaurynomir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 05:23 PM   #7
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

I can see it all now. The eagerly anticipated film will be released. There will be rave reviews in the media and it will be a massive box office success. <P>But there will be plot changes, some favourite characters and/or scenes missed out (*cough*Scouring of the Shire*cough*). Many of the character changes already evident will continue to rankle with those who have been disappointed by them so far. Perhaps Faramir will not be sufficiently redeemed for some tastes. Perhaps a favourite character newly introduced will not live up to expectations.<P>And Tolkien fans the world over will delight in debating all of these points back and forth, and back and forth again, for months afterwards. Some will be outraged at the changes. Some will like the film overall but have their particular gripes. Others will be accepting of the changes, perhaps understanding why they were made. And the debates will continue for many months after ... <P>Personally, given the quality of the two previous films (as films), the material Jackson has to work with (much of which will undoubtedly lend itself to great cinema) and the fact that this film represents a resolution of the story (and therefore has somewhere to go), I have no doubt that I will enjoy it immensely. Yes, I am sure that I will have one or two personal gripes, just as I have with the two previous films, but I am confident on previous form that it will not fail to delight me.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:41 PM   #8
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well said Saucepan.<P>As a younger man, I have allowed myself to get hyped beyond all reasonable expectations about certain films and, inevitably, was disapointed. Often, once my perspective have been restored, I've come back to these films and realized some were not nearly as bad as I thought and some were still damn good.<P>Don't have unreasonable expectations. If you've loved the first two films, expect more of the same but if you were disapointed, don't expect Jackson to win you back with RotK. It isn't likely to happen.<P>Remember that for the most part, these films were all shot at the same time and so you should expect many of the same things you got in the first two movies. If that is good news, great, but if not, do not be shocked if you dislike RotK too.<P>H.C.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:51 PM   #9
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Brad Dourif looks good full stop <P>Yes, I'm not too fussed about how a movie turns out. I mean, I will find faults, and may believe it could have been better in some ways, but with Rotk, well... its Rotk! Plus, after all this waiting, even a 3 hour long viewing of behind-the-scenes crew and production shots in slideshow style would be satisfactory, as long as its Lord Of The Rings.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:53 PM   #10
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

(I'm not actually expecting that... my hopes were a <I>little</I> higher... )
Old 06-09-2003, 05:54 PM   #11
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That is VERY wierd, because i had a "bad RotK" dream too a few days ago. I kept saying - it will be okay, it will redeem itself by the end. But after skipping shelobs lair and Tower of cirith ungol Frodo DIED! I'd never been so depressed when I woke up. <P>(except for the time I dreamed I was Sam, and Frodo wouldn't come with me on the quest to destroy the ring - I know, I need a life!)
Old 06-09-2003, 06:15 PM   #12
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I kept saying - it will be okay, it will redeem itself by the end. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>If you feel the films need to redeem themselves then you a likely setting yourself up for disappointment. It's all the same people making it and they're not changing the way they do things.<P>H.C.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:00 PM   #13
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Brad Dourif looks good full stop <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Why is everyone talking about Mr. Dourif?????? <P>It won't ruin my life if ROTK is a bad movie, it really won't, I just will hope for the best. I personally really had no gripes about TTT at all. The only problem that I had seriously with it was Faramir (but that is another thread). If they fix Faramir, and it is like the first two, and if Shelob lives up to my expectations. I will be fine.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:30 AM   #14
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Location: Wellington, New Zealand (Middle-Earth Baby Yeah!!!)
Frodo 007 has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

oh my god that is a nightmare *shivers*im glad i havnt had a nightmare like that yet...
Old 06-10-2003, 05:06 PM   #15
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Don't feel bad about the nightmares, I actually had one too. The weird thing was, the promotion posters and stuff were the same as TTT. When we got in, it was just yucko. Aragorn was a doof and that's about all I remember.

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote