Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2006, 11:58 AM   #761
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ah, sorry Brinniel...your post was so long and I confess I rushed through it. It deserves better!

Welcome back, Child! I'm glad everything's okay with your mother, and I hope it continues to be. And no worries...we've all been busy, I think.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:08 PM   #762
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
I have a favor to ask. This post needs to go in a box somewhere before the slaver's' attack. Otherwise my timing is off. Would anyone be willing to do that?

This post might work well at the end of Folwren's in 300, or the beginning of Durelin's box in 301.

I am sorry to be late with this.

I've been thinking about this. How would someone feel if they'd spent most of their life in terrible conditions as a slave and then they found out they had some special powers or abilities they never knew they had? It's almost like a little kid praying for superpowers so they can bash in the heads of kids who are teasing them, and then suddenly they get those powers.... I think this will not be easy for Azhar. There are downsides here, and she is totally unaware of them. What's that old saying?.....Be careful what you wish for...

Tevildo's post

Tom had fallen asleep in Rôg's arms, his head nestled securely within the shapechanger's cloak. The girl trotted alongside her rescuer as the little party of three hurried back towards the grove where the women and children were waiting. Azhar's heart pulsed with a strange excitement. So much had happened since the morning that she barely knew how to make sense of it all. Even now, she was having trouble getting her bearings. In all the tumult and shock, she'd forgotten about the war, her fear of losing Tom, her inability to hold her shape, and even her repulsion at seeing the slavers' bodies lying dead and mangled on the ground. Her head was filled with jumbled images of great bears and flashing dragons, creatures of incredible might who could lash out and in a single instant command the attention of all around them.

The girl's entire life had been mired in fear. She had feared the whips of the orc overlords and the sneering grins of the Easterlings. For the first time since leaving the plantation, Azhar sensed the enticing possibility of leaving that experience behind her. If she could learn to control these abilities, if she could take on the bear form whenever it suited her, then she would be as strong as any Orc chieftain....even stronger. Part of her wished that she had come into her powers many years ago. She imagined swooping down on a band of slaveholders and taking them out with a single blow. The other part wanted to change into bear form and clamber up onto a pile of rocks so everyone could see and admire her mighty muscles and claws.

A brief smile slipped over Azhar's face. Kwell had said that women couldn't fight. She would have loved to see his face when she casually changed her form and slipped up behind him with a loud and menacing growl.

Azhar glanced nervously over at Rôg and wondered. The man was enormously kind; he seemed so mild mannered and unassuming. He meekly acceded to the requests of Lindir and even the elderly Aiwendil, yet he was clearly a better fighter than either of them! If Azhar had been Rôg, she would have slipped into dragon form and glided out over the open plain in full daylight, attacking and decimating the band of slavers before they ever even reached the camp. Why, she wondered, didn't he do that? Then they wouldn't have had to go through this terrible battle. At the very least, she would have made sure that all her companions knew and understood exactly who she was. But it seemed as if Rôg was very quiet about these things, keeping everything to himself.

Azhar would have loved to ply Rôg with a whole string of questions. At the same time, she wondered whether she would have the chance to see the dragon again should the slavers attack their little grove. Unfortunately, this did not seem to be the right time or place to be asking Rôg such hard questions. And she had better keep her own mind on what was going on around her or she would end up dead before she ever had the time to learn how to hold and manage her other shape.

With a sigh, Azhar said her hasty goodbyes to Rôg, thanking him for all his help and promising to look out after the children. She and Tom went back to where the women were waiting, only this time two of the mothers whisked the little boy and his sisters away and reassured her that they could manage to care for the three children. Too nervous to stay hidden in one place, Azhar wandered back to where the older children were waiting. She looked around for Kwell but he still was not back. Then she stared out and saw where Athwen was caring for the sick and wounded. The woman seemed to be havingg quite a time of it. Darting from boulder to boulder, she came up to the healer and asked, "Do you need any help?"

Last edited by Tevildo; 12-12-2006 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:26 PM   #763
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I can put it at the end of my post.

I will try to fill my save sometime soon today.

EDIT: Tevildo, your post is placed. You'll have to let me know if I didn't get some of the bolded names in the write places. And I fixed on typo towards the end.

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 12-12-2006 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:58 PM   #764
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Save filled.

However - I did not write in Azhar's coming up and asking if Athwen needs help. That means I'm going to have to edit it again. I'll do that, Tevildo, have no fear...I will do that. Sometime.

-- Folwren
Old 12-12-2006, 04:03 PM   #765
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
Ah, sorry Brinniel...your post was so long and I confess I rushed through it.
Yeah...I've realized that. I just started writing, and when I was finished, I had reached almost four pages on Word! Perhaps I should've cut it down a bit, but I didn't have the heart to. I also considered cutting it into two posts, but that didn't happen either.

Sorry if it's caused any sort of inconvenience. I guess I tend to ramble in my writing, especially when it comes to dialogue.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:13 PM   #766
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel
I just started writing, and when I was finished, I had reached almost four pages on Word!
You sound just like me... Happily I have a habit of writing my posts in paper on cafe's or in the neighbourhood Czech-pub, so I need to re-write them with the computer (not yet owning a laptop). That kind of neatly reduces them to only two-pages (and lessens the grammatical errors and widens the vocabulary as I have a dictionary at home)!
Old 12-12-2006, 07:03 PM   #767
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh no, it's no problem Brinniel! I marvel at those who can write so much and so well! I'm also a little envious of you people: yery rarely can I sit down and right anything very lengthy. The most I've ever written of something continuous is 8 pages. I guess I have a little ADD when it comes to writing.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:39 PM   #768
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Tevildo,

I have edited my post and put Azhar into it. Tell me if it's alright, because I used her a little bit, too.

-- Folwren
Old 12-14-2006, 04:03 PM   #769
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Carl's post is up.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:15 PM   #770
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Folwren,

Your post looks great. Check your pm's. I've sent through some ideas on this.
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:11 PM   #771
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Hi. Kwell's save is filled.

How is the struggle carrying on in the glade with the women and children and Rog and Aiwendil?

-- Folwren
Old 12-16-2006, 04:42 PM   #772
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Notice from Durelin and Child....

With the holidays coming, many of us will be more heavily involved in activities with family or friends or even going away. Durelin and I were thinking that this would naturally slow down our storyline. While we've had some RPG's officially "close" over the holidays, we decided not to do that. Our game will remain open, though we do understand that some folks will be posting less often. If you can post regularly, that's great. If not, have a good break and we'll see everyone back in full force with the start of 2007.

Since some people will be missing for the next two weeks, we won't officially do the final battle in the grove till early January. People can keep busy with small skirmishes, tending the sick, orc drinking scenes, character angst or whatever else you can dream up. I'll get a long post ready for the nasties' big battle and put it up around January 1 so people can then respond and begin the serious fight. I may just decide to have the slavers attack some of your specific characters if they're in the grove. If there's anything in particular you'd like from the slavers in terms of the battle and your own character, just let me know and I'll try to include it.

Durelin and I felt that, this way, people can write if they want to in late December but none of us will feel guilty if we are slow to respond. Of course, if you run into any special problems, just post on this thread or drop a pm and Durelin or I will try and help.

After the battle, it's straight back to the slavers' camp to pick up any supplies and goodies left there. That is when our real fun will start! If anyone feels brave enough to pick up an orc minor character, let us know on the thread with a short profile and explanation. We'll need more active posting by orcs. I promise to take my own character Makdush out of mothballs!

Meanwhile, everyone have a good holiday though I do expect to be around and occasionally posting.

Child
Old 12-16-2006, 07:39 PM   #773
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age
After the battle, it's straight back to the slavers' camp to pick up any supplies and goodies left there. That is when our real fun will start! If anyone feels brave enough to pick up an orc minor character, let us know on the thread with a short profile and explanation. We'll need more active posting by orcs. I promise to take my own character Makdush out of mothballs!
They should be more active indeed... Where is Regin anyway? I have just been waiting for him to answer my post about three weeks or something! And other orcs have been a bit more than quiet too... This orc-thing sounds so delicious that we should not miss it!
Old 12-16-2006, 08:09 PM   #774
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I've been thinking about posting for Grask for a long time now... I promise I'll write something for him soon.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:26 AM   #775
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Sorry, Nogrod. I've been mired in final papers and now exams. (Actually, I am up late studying now.) I'll try and get something up for Ishkur, probably Monday. My last exam is on the 19th and then I fly home. Things should get easier then.

But it has been hard to write when the storyline has been so centered on the slaves, and I'll be glad to see more action with the orcs.

- Regin
Old 12-17-2006, 06:05 AM   #776
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regin Hardhammer
Sorry, Nogrod. I've been mired in final papers and now exams. (Actually, I am up late studying now.)
No problem. I'm more than tied at the moment too. Work and study: two major hindrances to having fun!
Old 12-18-2006, 01:48 AM   #777
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

I hope it will be alright if I fill my save tomorrow.
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:33 AM   #778
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well, since we're sort of taking a break for the holidays, I suppose I don't need to worry, but I just want to let everyone know I'm leaving to visit family in California tomorrow and won't be back until the 30th. I don't plan on holding my grandparents' computer hostage, so I will be absent until then.

It shouldn't be a problem since I can't exactly post for Shae until she's rescued. If someone does happen to post something involving her before I return, I'll be sure to put up a save as soon as I get back.

Happy Holidays, everyone!
Old 01-02-2007, 05:04 AM   #779
Child of the 7th Age

I am mentally working on my post...even though nothing appears yet in a little box! Just wanted to check on numbers, which have been so vexing.

I am assuming the following.... There were originally 27 slavers. About twelve were killed in the initial conflict (the ones that were totalled up earlier in the thread). Another four were taken out by Pio and Brinniel more recently. That leaves 13. Imak is badly wounded but alive. The other 12 are in good fighting shape.

Feel free to criticize and/or sharpen up my math. (I was never any good at numbers anyway!) Unless I hear otherwise, I am going ahead with the slavers on the assumption of these figures.

What I really can't tell is how many slavers are left. Presumably a number have been killed and/or injured that are not even mentioned in our thread. Can I assume we have about 25 slavers and fellowship in good fighting shape? Perhaps another 25 are injured and/or are females/children who would be hidden in the grove? If anyone has ideas on this, it would be helpful.

I've been called to jury duty tomorrow and am hoping to be dismissed. I plan to try and write out a draft of my post while I am sitting in the box as they shuffle the panel! So if something strange get mixed into the narrative, don't blame me.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:17 AM   #780
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I've been without a working net access at home for a while, but will get it back soon, hopefully... So sorry for not posting for a while.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:06 PM   #781
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

My net access is okay now. Thank heavens for that.

I will be joining the company of my girlies for a couple of days but will be back with more time on Monday and try to post something then.

Child: your tally looked reasonable enough with what comes to my memory of things.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:39 PM   #782
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Okay, I am back from my Christmas vacation.

I don't have time to read any post right now, but I'll be sure to get updated within the next few days.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:31 PM   #783
Child of the 7th Age

Sounds as if we are slowly regrouping. I have a save up and I hope to fill it tomorrow.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:03 AM   #784
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Just a note that I will be out of touch Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon. And mostly likely will be trying to upgrade my OS at home next weekend. *Eek*

Child, yes Carl is in good fighting shape, though a bit achy. Please feel free to mention him and his passenger if you would like.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:43 PM   #785
Child of the 7th Age

Hilde,

Will do so...

I have half my save filled. I will be putting up an additional post in the same box that describes the action from Lindir's point of view. This would give me a better chance to mention specific people by name.

By the way, I may play "fast and loose" with some characters. If you don't like the situation I put you in for any reason, just let me know and I will edit.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:19 PM   #786
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I have been knocked down by the flu. I may not be functional for another two or three days, or longer. We'll have to see. If you need to use my characters at all, go ahead.

-- Folwren
Old 01-06-2007, 10:36 AM   #787
Child of the 7th Age

Folwren,

I hope you feel better. Don't worry about a two to three day absence. Right now, we have a number of people with computer problems and other conflicts so things are going slowly. I don't expect to have my own post finished till late tonight. Take it easy and rest.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:38 AM   #788
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Save filled here. Gwerr, Grask, Mazhg, Zagra.....my post mentions all of you, but I think Gwerr needs to answer first.

Then I'll do a post that drops the money off....

I think being away from the plantation has had a "good" effect on Ishkur, but he still has a few things to learn, especially about female orcs.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:06 AM   #789
Child of the 7th Age

Rest of save filled.... sort of. There are a lot of people and "extras" to keep track of. I am sure I've managed to forget someone and to put others in the wrong place.

Please let me know if I need to change or add anything. If you really don't like the situation I've put your character in, let me know and I will change it. Everyone is welcome to start taking whacks and to get this battle finished.

Nogrod -- Are you around or are you still having computer problems?
Old 01-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #790
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Folwren,

I hope you are feeling better.

I also hope it is alright that I used your character to ask Azhar to run an errand. I wanted to get out somewhere for a moment closer to the main attack. I'll gladly edit if you see the need.

I do plan to ask Rôg a question in my next post....
Old 01-08-2007, 12:14 PM   #791
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Tevildo,

Your post was fine. No changes necessary.

I'm still not going to post, everyone. Athwen seems to be doing just fine in other player's hands. Let's get the battle completed...

-- Folwren
Old 01-08-2007, 02:17 PM   #792
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I'll come with some posting tomorrow (within 24 hours).

I'll bring Beloan and Qat to the fight.

I post for Gwerr to address Ishkur.

I hope to meet Firefoot online to make a post for Hadith and Johari.

Just to tell what I wish to be up to...
Old 01-10-2007, 04:00 PM   #793
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Gwerr and Ishkur are brought a bit forwards... my post with Hadith and Johari is also ready after some consultations with Firefoot. I try to write it down here asap.

Regin: In your last post there is a mentioning that Ishkur nods in reply to Nogrod...
Old 01-11-2007, 11:25 AM   #794
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Whoops... I made the correction and put up a save.

- Regin
Old 01-11-2007, 12:52 PM   #795
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Brinniel

Shae hasn't gotten any help yet, has she? Did you have a plan to work it out yourself? If not, I have a plan...actually two plans. One is the obvious: Khamir runs off to find her and "rescue" her. But there's another option, too. Mwaha.

I'll start working on a'something unless you'd rather I not at this point. So just let me know.

Sorry, should've taken the initiative a while ago. But I just finally have a more interesting idea than the (sometimes?) predictable Khamir.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:14 PM   #796
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Firefoot: I've posted now. Check my post to see whether everything is okay with Johari in this final version (it's not exactly the same we talked about but I think near enough).

Well Beloan and Qat still... but if anyone of you needs some hands in the battle I believe we could take it as granted that they have joined the others around the grove at this time. I just started thinking, whether it's wise to make a post for two NPC's.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:11 PM   #797
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Ah, in my next post I'll be sure to mention at least Beloan, then.

But, speaking of the NPC thing...we can always make Beloan (and Qat) officially "minor" characters with a short bio. Beloan should really be one by now. Perhaps I should write up a quick bio for him and make it official, finally...

Like, how about this (please edit and/or add to it, Nogrod, if you'd like. I'd say he's been more your character than mine):

----------------------------------------------------------

Name: Beloan

Race: Man of ??

Weapons: Long knife and bow (does he have anything else?)

Appearance: Err... Nogrod? What do you say?

Personality: A natural leader, charismatic, and though persuasive, not forceful. He has a great amount of patience, particularly when it comes to dealing with people. Not confrontational, and seems to prefer letting things happen than actively trying to secure a fate for himself. A gentle man to friends, but ruthless to enemies, particularly due to his hard life as a slave. He is more hopeful than many who have endured such hardship, likely because he is more mentally prepared to endure it. He is not as tough in body as in spirit, though, and cannot withstand as much physical pain as a man like Khamir can.

History: Beloan was among fifteen ex-slaves under Khamir's leadership, and was one of those with the one-armed man the longest. He was essentially Khamir's second in command, and second only because Khamir had ambition while he did not. Even so, Beloan and Khamir were and are friends, both intelligent men who have shared many experiences together. Beloan is more the brains and Khamir is more the brawns, but each is a good combination of the two. Since Khamir has become incapable as a leader, Beloan has filled his place nicely.

----------------------------------------------------------

There's a bit...what do you think? Simply my take on his personality and such, so definitely needs revisions. And obviously I ran into some problems...I really don't remember if either of us has described his appearance at all, where he comes from, or anything of that sort.

If you'd rather PM me and discuss it, that's fine with me. And if you think the bio is really not necessary, that's fine with me, too!

Oooh, we can call him a UPC, a Universal Player Character...Universally Played Character...something of that nature. But I think the fellow deserves an upgrade.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:43 PM   #798
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Nogrod, looks fine.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:37 AM   #799
Child of the 7th Age

Good idea about Beloan.

I am wondering how the fighting should go in the long run. Should we have one big final push by the slavers to break into the part of the grove where the main body of women and children are kept and where Athwen is tending the sick? Up till now, they are just nibbling on the fringes of that section of the grove. If you'd like, I can do a post where Aiwendil describes when the slavers begin this final assault? Presumably, they will eventually be turned back. We could go ahead and resolve the other fighting scenes already under way but have a band of four begin to crack into the center of the grove. Would this work? Also, wouldn't we sadly have some casualties among the non-combattants which we'd want to touch on very briefly? Any other ideas?

If others agree, I'll put up a save for this that I'll likely fill in on Monday. Can anyone think of anything else we need to do in the long run to "tie up" the battle?
Old 01-13-2007, 11:19 AM   #800
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I think that sounds like a great idea, Child. We can't have this being easy or anything.

A few casualties are in order... Hmm... *plots*

Perhaps those named characters who have not yet been mentioned in the battle/have not arrived can come running in to help save the day when the slavers begin to break through...