The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2003, 03:03 PM   #81
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Great, isn't it???
Old 11-02-2003, 03:30 PM   #82
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

SQUEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SWEETNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOO HOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that I've got all the cheers out of my system! I say this calls for a celebration!

*brings in the lembas, miruvor, Elven band (in tight leather), and dance floor full of Hot Elves in tight leather*

This really calls for a par-tay!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 05:50 PM   #83
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Yay!!!!!!! Thanks so much, Morgul Queen!!!!! That's awesome. Now the question: what will all of us who aren't lucky enough to live in New Zealand do? Just host a party in our homes or something? As to "official" ideas, we shall have to think about that. What could we do? Invite the actors? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Ummmm..... events? Ideas? Anyone? I'll post if I think of anything.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 11:27 PM   #84
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Silmaril

Ok, I have a few ideas. First off, the Ent draught. What about that new 7up stuff?? The one with caffeine? It's green!!! Perfect for Ent draught!
And I'm thinking about e-mail TORn about this Marathon, and maybe if enough of us e-mail them, they will say something about it on their site. For those of you who don't have it, here's the link: TORn
If they would mention it in one of their daily update things, imagine how many people it would reach?? And I'm about to post about it on another really big message board I go to at Council of Elrond. Let the world know: FRODO LIVES!!!!
Old 11-05-2003, 05:09 AM   #85
Charmed7202

Sting

I think it's a great idea for everyone to get together, but what about a reading of the books ...
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2003, 07:39 AM   #86
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

Oh yes! Council of Elrond! I go on there too!!! Who are you on there, Arwen? I'm Leggylass [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2003, 07:57 AM   #87
Nora

Thumbs up

Heloo All - I'm new here.

Been a fan of "The Rings" , well, since forever.

Cool place you have here.

Just wanted to say I think this is a COOL idea.

Can't think of a better way to celebrate.

Nora
Old 11-05-2003, 10:51 AM   #88
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

Hey, enjoy being dead, Nora!!!

Wow, Arwen!!! I just checked TORN and you're on there!!!!!!!! Wahooooo!!!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2003, 11:14 AM   #89
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dűm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

Mae Govannen, and Welcome to the Downs, Nora. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I like your name...
Nora; Greek: "light" Latin: "honourable" [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Sorry, got carried away... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Arwen: I haven't tried the new 7up...but if it's good that would be great. And Mountain Dew is also green, so it seems we have quite a few choices there. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I'll also be posting a new recipe for lembas that my aunt made, just as soon as I try it out. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

These are awesome ideas everyone [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img], just keep 'em coming. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 11:20 AM   #90
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

yes!! I did it!!!!! They posted it at TORn for me!! Here's what they said:
Quote:
The people over at Barrowdowns have come up with an idea to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the publication of ROTK, on October 20, 2005. Basically, to make it a worldwide day to gather with friends, watch the movies, and geek out on Tolkien as much as possible. [More] Thanks to Arwen 1858 for the link
When you click where it says more on the page, it brings you here to this thread. COOL!!! Now lots of people will know!!!! Can ya tell I'm a little excited??!!
Oh, and yes, I am on the CoE forums. I'm Arwen1858 there as well. I posted there about it too, and have a few people answer. Now that it's up at TORn, it will be seen by lots of people!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Arwen
Old 11-05-2003, 07:17 PM   #91
Kyle

Ring

This is really really cool! It will likely by in New Zealand, and I will not be able to attend. After all it is expensive. I might do something at my house or something. I will just see what happens then! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2003, 07:25 PM   #92
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Yay! We're on TORN! Arwen, it has your name! Don't you feel special?!?! That is so cool!!!!!! Do you know what we should do? If (or more like when) we get the greenlight or maybe even publicity from New Line (after Richard Taylor mentions it to them), then it will be even cooler! We could take the Tolkien community by storm! Join a million messageboards and promote it there! Get TORN to post something again about how it's backed by New Line! Can you tell I'm having a most excellently happy daydream? Ah, yes. And think of the free publicity the Barrowdowns will get! Maybe people will follow the link and join or something (maybe we'll be famous, wishful thinking there).

Old 11-05-2003, 07:38 PM   #93
Kyle

Ring

TORN has a lot of power. It is by far the biggest LOTR fanclub/newsite online. If the New Line could release the three movies again in different theaters, it could make a big profit. People in two years would much like to see the movies on the big screen again. It is an absolutely amazing thing, they could even play the extended ROTK. There would also be the "BIG PARTY" spots as well. Or maybe it could be on a limited release.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:05 PM   #94
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
*Mega squee* We're on ToRN?! *checks site* We are! Eeeek! Huzzah! Arwen, you must feel so special! You are known world-wide! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Oh yeah, Morgul Queen, I haven't thanked you yet... *GIANT HUG* Thank yoooooou! Wheeee! I'm in such a happy mood now. Yay! I love you all! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

*So* excited... I told one of my LotR friends about it, so...heh heh heh. Spread the word!
Old 11-05-2003, 09:22 PM   #95
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Thumbs up

Alright! this is a very cool topic. I also celebrated another holiday other than this one. The Feast of Shu, he who is moisture. Along with this i watched one of my favorite movies the first of the trilogy. For next year i will most likely do the same thing. Except this time i will watch FOTR and TT and possilby if i have this by that time the ROTK. This is sush a cool holiday... also Shu is one too. (Shu is like the rain god).

I love these days! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

"Why did you do that Boromir?"
- Frodo to boromir at the door into Moria
"Hail to thee O Ra in thy rising,
Even to thee who is called Atum at thy dawning.
Yea, great Ra who comes as Khephera, the ever-living."
- The Incantation to Ra, Isis Queen of egyptian magic, Jonathan Dee
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 09:25 PM   #96
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I still can't believe they actually put it up!! I keep going back and checking... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] It's like I'mnot sure it's really there... I wrote and told them about it and about us here at the 'downs, and they wrote back and asked for the link to the thread so people could come here for information. I was really excited, but I didn't really believe for sure it would be there until I saw it with my own eyes! Every waking hour I checked TORn about every 5 minutes or so to see if they had put it up [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] And I'm still so excited they actually did!! We made it on TORn! And now many, many LOTR fans worldwide will know of the marathon!!
YAY!!!!!
Arwen
Old 11-06-2003, 02:12 AM   #97
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
gyeh! *suffocates under the hugs and thank you notes she is getting* Its Arwen's turn for all the thanks, Yay, mellon-nin. We're on TOR.n, We're on TOR.n. *MQ and Celebrimbror hold a mini party and are very high on Bacon grease and Chocolate sauce*

WOOO HOOO!!! *Celebrimbror nips [read: bites a huge chunk out of] MQ's leg* HEY!!! Celebri, STOP IT!!!! Sorry about that, He's looking forward to getting his own mini-abyss *shrugs* I'll go call the decorator, Bye everyone.
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 11:50 AM   #98
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dűm

Silmaril

That is great... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Thank you sooo much to Arwen (are we related? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]) and Morgul Queen! You guys are awesome! *hugs computer moniter*
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Will you pay attention?
Old 11-06-2003, 03:19 PM   #99
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dűm

I've got another idea. How about on the Day, we all go on the chatroom and have a mass internet celebration (heh heh, kelebration..ummm...ignore me please) I'm sure Mr. BW won't mind, and we can all talk and celebrate together, except, us Kiwi's get to do it twice becaus when we finish it'll just be starting for some of you. Cool, huh?!!!
Old 11-06-2003, 04:01 PM   #100
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Do you live in NZ, Morgul Queen??? Cool!! Anyways, the chatroom thing would be nice, only how would we have time for that with watching all 3 EE movies, eating a few meals, playing games, and whatever else we're doing?? That would be kinda hard to fit in. We should definitely get on there the next day, though, and talk about what all we did!! This is going to be fun!! Too bad we have so long to wait! Oh well.
Arwen
Old 11-06-2003, 08:51 PM   #101
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dűm

Silmaril

I'll go with Arwen on that one... The next day would make more sense. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] But that doesn't mean we can't chat during intermissions! (though now that I think of it, that might be kind of rude, if we have guests... Or perhaps the guests could participate too...Anyway...)
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Will you pay attention?
Old 11-07-2003, 05:56 PM   #102
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Next day sounds good.... but then we could just post on this thread. The guests could either make their own comments, or else just stuff themselves with lembas (can you tell I'm inviting Merry and Pippin? All of my imaginary friends will be there, in fact. All eleven of them. I know, only eleven, well, no, twelve, actually. I'll get more sooner or later. Did anyone read eleven as elven and have to re-read it figure out what I said?). Now, one thing we could do to kelebrate: Do the Wave for Boromir the Disco King! Wave kings at Boromir the Disco Squid! We should have weird disco parties with the LOTR Soundtracks or something! (Ignore me as well, if you would be so kind). And one more thing: We should get the BW to put it on the calendar. You know, the little thing at the top of the homepage that has any notable events that occured today.

[ November 08, 2003: Message edited by: Luthien_ Tinuviel ]

Old 11-08-2003, 03:17 AM   #103
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dűm

And that WOULDN'T confuse the guests?!!! Aiyeeee, headache coming, must...avoid...headache...arrrrgh, too...late. (In case you can't tell, I've be re-familiarizing myself with the Elven genologies - guarenteed to bring on a headache).

Do you realise how much in-breeding there is between the descendants of Elwe, Olwe, and *snicker* Elmo?!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2003, 12:59 PM   #104
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

Yeah, I made a family tree...I can get Edain from all three houses, Elves from all three groups...all on one family tree! It's mad! And how come it's all in threes?!
Old 11-08-2003, 01:54 PM   #105
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I've tried to make a mass family tree. Not sure if I ever truly accomplished it, though. And you're right, Morgul Queen, there are a lot of cousins marrying cousins and things, even among hobbits. But then it's generally third cousins or something, so I don't reckon that's quite as bad. Why don't we all try to create mass elven genealogies and hang on the walls as decorations? Along with meanings of all the names, perhaps? Or giving everyone their names in both Sindarin and Quenya (where applicable)? Can you tell I'm trying to scare any potential guests away? Although at this rate, I may not have any guests at all (any guests that a normal person would call real, anyway).

Old 11-08-2003, 02:04 PM   #106
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

SQUEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is absolutely wonderful!!!!!!! Remember people, when we're all famous, we were friends!!!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:27 PM   #107
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ring

Quote:
Or giving everyone their names in both Sindarin and Quenya (where applicable)?
Oh, I like that idea!!! We can make nametags for people(find a way to make the look elvish, of course) and put their Elvish names on them!! And people would only be allowed to call each other by those names [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] And those of us who want too can pick an Elvish name, if we like that better than the translated version of our name. Oh, this is going to be fun!
Arwen
Old 11-09-2003, 10:55 PM   #108
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dűm

NOW what have I done?!!!!! I'll start on the mass Elven and Edain family tree - once I manage to organise the ELVEN one in my mind.

Heh Heh, yes, we're all friends and when we're famous and meeting PJ and the Actors we'll be able to go "We organised the Golden Ring Marathon - and It'll look good on our CV's too.....

Hey, Arwen!!! Does Asfoloth wnat to come with Celebrimbror and I to the Premiere in Wellington on the 1st? (I was about to type me and...but Celebri started growling)
Old 11-10-2003, 02:22 AM   #109
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ring

Quote:
Hey, Arwen!!! Does Asfoloth wnat to come with Celebrimbror and I to the Premiere in Wellington on the 1st? (I was about to type me and...but Celebri started growling)
Yes, he does. He's willing to abandon me, leave me here mourning because I can't go, and go with y'all. He doesn't care that I will be missing out... When he read your post, he started drooling, and getting all hyper. And you really don't want to upset a hyper mini-balrog. ok, he's giving me an evil grin now. You're going to the premiere?? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] COOL!!!
Anyways, it would be really cool if this Marathon got even more widespread, and PJ found out about it. Are there any other LotR news sites out there that should know? I just go to TORn. Who else should we tell? Maybe we could write PJ.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:55 AM   #110
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

Hi guys! I checked that golden ring marathon article from TORn and it looked so cool!!!
If we all lived in the same country we could go to march on the streets singing songs from the soundtracks (I love singing)...but it may look a bit silly if I went alone to the local railwaystation singing in Sindarin or Khuzdul [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I don't know anybody who would willingly share that day with me *sigh*
I'll just lock myself into our house and watch the films 'till my eyes drop off.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:06 PM   #111
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Well, I ran a Google search for "Golden Ring Marathon", and it only yields four results! Which is weird. Why does it only show TORN and this thread if you all siad that you had posted it only other Tolkien fora? Indeed strange.

Arwen and Morgul Queen, it sounds like you two know each other. Even though you don't know me as well, can Neal go to the premiere, too? He'd love to accompany you, and he'd only cause minimal trouble (read: be rather annoying unless you think he's funny, be sarcastic all the time, perhaps get rather annoyed if any major changes have been made, and maybe even lecture your friends (I assume that mini-balrogs are very easy to engage in a fight with)). In short, he'd be the perfect companion!

Now back on-topic: Do you think we should try to publicize it now, or should we work out the details and figure out exactly what we want to do, perhaps wait for word to get to PJ, and then adveritze it? It might be a rather premature suggestion, but if we got sophisticated enough in our planning, we might even be able to make a geocities website for it or something.

Old 11-13-2003, 09:18 PM   #112
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

I'm sure that if WETA knows about it, word will quickly get to PJ. WETA seems to be taking it seriously (or at least I hope they are) and if they really are, then they will let PJ know if it's to be an event of some magnitude.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:30 AM   #113
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ring

Quote:
I'm sure that if WETA knows about it, word will quickly get to PJ. WETA seems to be taking it seriously (or at least I hope they are) and if they really are, then they will let PJ know if it's to be an event of some magnitude.
cool!! That would be awesome if it could get all the way to him at this early stage. Almost 2 years until it happens, and words getting out pretty good. If we're doing this good already, I wonder how far it will go by Oct. 2005!!
Luthien_ Tinuviel, Morgul Queen and I have writting a bit through pm, but don't know each other 'personally,' as in have ever met face-to-face, or talked outside here. We've become friends because we both have mini-balrogs [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] They're quite fun, but Asfoloth always eats the bacon before I can get any. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
I posted about the Marathon on councilofelrond.com's forum, and thought about writing them and seeing if they would put it in their news on the front page. I just haven't done that yet.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:38 AM   #114
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dűm

Silmaril

Quote:
Do you think we should try to publicize it now, or should we work out the details and figure out exactly what we want to do, perhaps wait for word to get to PJ, and then adveritze it? It might be a rather premature suggestion, but if we got sophisticated enough in our planning, we might even be able to make a geocities website for it or something.
Personally, I think it would be best to get word out as quickly and widespread as possible. I mean, just this forum could cover the globe....which is an awesome concept.

A website is an excellent suggestion. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Though the concept of the marathon is still a bit premature for me to see the neccesity of it's own website at this point. Perhaps in the future though... And if Mr. Jackson likes the idea we might be able to tack it onto the LotR offical site. Wouldn't that be great?

Does anyone think it'd be a good idea to contact SotR? They're a pretty popular site as well, and I do believe they too, have a forum...

Arwen

ps: going back a few posts: any credit would go to the cool people in the Down's topic where this idea originated. "A sorrowful realisation..." [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Funny the sadness that such a neat idea was spawned from...

Will you pay attention?
Old 11-15-2003, 12:05 PM   #115
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

I want a mini-balrog! Where did you find them? We could become the fellowship of the mini-balrog owners!!! (Ok, ignore me... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] )

EDIT: Ooh and I forgot to say...I think the geocities website is a good idea!

[ November 15, 2003: Message edited by: Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 ]
Old 11-15-2003, 01:53 PM   #116
Helín Anyára
Pile O'Bones

Helín Anyára has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Okay, now that I've read the entire thread... I suppose that helps if you want to know "what is going on". [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Sorry. Anyway- I too think the website would be really cool, and useful. It's weird to think that the date for the marathon is still so far away! What are we going to do with all that time? I suppose anticipation is half the experience. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I'm assuming that anything official is going to be held in New Zealand. *sniff* *single little tear*. Which I'm sure is fine with anyone lucky enough to live there. Sigh. Anyway, I think we will have to come up with a worthy alternative, for those doing it in their homes-- although I'm not sure what... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2003, 04:46 PM   #117
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
I'm assuming that anything official is going to be held in New Zealand.I'm assuming that anything official is going to be held in New Zealand.
I would say that anything done by a contributor to this thread is "official". We are the originators of the idea, after all. I'm not sure if there's really any one person who could be said to have created the idea (I actually went back the beginning and looked, it seems that several people mentioned it and it just grew from there). Although credit is definately due to Arwen Eruantale for starting both this thread and the old one.

Old 11-15-2003, 05:22 PM   #118
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

I think if we ever get this show on the road (in a figurative sense), we should try to get it done in cities around the world. Perhaps have BDers organize the events in their respective home towns, that way, everyone already knows what they're doing, and even non-Tolkien fans can enjoy themselves too. That would be a perfect idea. If we came up with schedules, deadlines, etc. here at the Downs, then each one of us could go and try to organize it in our hometowns or schools (with the cooperation of the right authorities of course!).
Old 11-16-2003, 12:40 AM   #119
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Elentari ~ here's the site where you can get the mini-balrogs: Miss Cam
Go to the official Fanfic university, a little ways down the page, and you can learn about them there. It's a lot of fun [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2003, 07:57 AM   #120
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

Ah thankyou! I've signed up for one!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]