The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2002, 07:28 PM   #1
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
Tolkien Sam's Rope

I have a question for those who have seen the extended footage on the DVD: At the gift giving, was anyone as aggravated as I was? They kept the two most important ones the same or Peter Jackson would have more fans coming down on his head. I was fine with the daggers and such, that was a great idea. But the rope was what got me. I know it's important to things such as needing to get down and Gollum's being tied up, but to give it to him as a gift? And then the comment he said made it even worse. I thought in some ways was kinda odd. And they didn't even show Boromir's gift either. *sighs and goes back to the dvd*<p>[ December 09, 2002: Message edited by: Sleeping Beauty ]
Old 12-09-2002, 07:53 PM   #2
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I don't really understand altogether what you were aggrivated at or what you were asking. But I was aggrivated as well. If you were aggrivated that they changed Sam's gift to the rope instead of the soil, well so am I. And I think that it was very stupid that they did not put in Boromir's belt. They could have had Sam find the rope in the boat but oh well, it's a good movie anyway's. Now I have to get back to watching page to screen on Bravo.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 08:09 PM   #3
Elven Mistress
Wight

Elven Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, the fact that they didn't give Sam the soil pretty much means that there won't be a Scouring of the Shire (my favourite part in all three books)! That aggrivated me, but there's already a thread on that...if i find it i'll post it...
Old 12-09-2002, 08:22 PM   #4
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Well, if there is no scouring then there is no need for the soil. I know that it aggrevates people that some things are different, but everything can't fit in there.<BR>Honestly, will people ever stop nit-picking???<BR>Though I suppose I should be prepared for a lot more after TTT opens (not that it needs to be, because FOTR doesn't really need to be... people just choose to do so). If you are so upset then at least you can go back and read your favorite part.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 10:23 PM   #5
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Honestly, will people ever stop nit-picking??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ah, no they won't. And the more you love a movie, the less there is to complain about so you turn to nit-picking once "It was great!" gets redundant. <P>I'd have to say that though I can live without the Scouring pictoralized (y'know, I hated that part the first time I read it beause I thought it was pointless and petty after the Ring Quest...I must have been sleep-deprived or something, 'cause now I love it to death, but anyway...) though I can live without the Scouring in the movie, I feel bad for Sam when she gives him that rope.<P>Just the way she got done giving Merry and Pippin those cool daggers, and he even says, "Have you run out of those nice shiny daggers?" I didn't understand why she didn't answer him. Sniff, I've imagined a little reply..."This will serve you as well as any dagger, Samwise Gamgee".<P>Eh, I know.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:26 PM   #6
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

I agree, Sam's comment upon receiving his gift was a little out of character. BUT.. I LOVED what Galadriel said to Pippin (you will find your courage), and that makes up for it (for me).
Old 12-10-2002, 10:34 AM   #7
busybee
Haunting Spirit

Location: Mirkwood, Lothlorien...dream...actually the middle of nowhere...Mumbai
busybee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ditto i to agree about Sams completely out of character comment but for me it was the joke abut the Lembas that made it up,it helped lighten the mood.<BR>What about the seen in Rivendell about Aragorns mother Gilraens grave....I got kinda confused about it...dunno why...just at the end i think it left a big ??? in my soul
Old 12-11-2002, 12:07 AM   #8
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

It was too bad to see the box of earth disappear, but I think PJ was saying a year ago that the Scouring was out, so it's not really that much of a surprise. And besides, it's not like the rope is a more humble present than the earth would have been (granted, they're both EXTREMELY important and magical and so forth, but to the outward viewer they look rather humble). It's a good gift in the sense that we're going to see it reappear later on, not to mention that when Sam whips out the Elvish rope for scaling Emyn Muil/tying up Gollum, we'll know where he got it from and why Gollum would react so badly to it. <P>Sam's reaction didn't seem too out of character; he's fairly plain-spoken and I have a sense that being in Galadriel's presence makes them all feel very small and young. Sam's reaction was a childlike reaction - Merry and Pippin get these gorgeous glittering daggers (anyone want to bet that Merry's Galadriel-dagger will be the one that stabs the Witch-King?) and here he's got...well, rope. It's hard not to feel a momentary pang for the brighter bauble which the others are getting, even though the rope will prove far more useful to him in the end.<P>And I agree, it did seem a little unfair not to at least give poor old Boromir his belt. Galadriel being what she was, she probably had an idea that Boromir wasn't long for this world, but surely she could have spared the belt anyway. (Besides, wouldn't Boromir kind of start wondering afterwards? "Hey, I'm the only one who didn't get anything! Does that mean that I won't need...oh, wait.")
Old 12-11-2002, 12:37 AM   #9
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I think that that's a good bet you'd have going there, Kalimac. Although I think that only a fool would bet against you. Since the Barrow Downs were left out, the hobbits never got the Westernesse daggers. So the dagger that Merry got from Galadrial will probably be the one to stab the witch king. Kind of ironic though; I think that the barrow downs dagger was used to fight against the witch king way back when, but it was defeated and now brought back and ends up stabbing him in the knee which was critical for his defeat. Anyways, you won't see any of that irony in the movies I think.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 01:49 PM   #10
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
Tolkien

Thanks Diamond. If they hadn't been not picky about in the first place, we wouldn't have have such a good film. I loved the movie, and wouldn't go back on what Peter Jackson has done. I'm not that fond of nitpicking, but it was just one of those thoughts that just seemed to sit in the back of my mind and wouldn't go away. I don't want to see the scouring of the Shire either. It's too gorgeous for words. I also didn't know that Peter Jackson had ruled out the scouring of the Shire. I need to read up some more on the movies. Hmm....it makes more sense, I guess. And Tigerlily, I will go back and read it again... Sam and his box of soil. ^_^
Old 12-11-2002, 02:10 PM   #11
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Anyone care to join my club? It's called "I hate DVD-players".And why do I hate them? Because I DON'T HAVE ONE. And no DVD-player= No Special Extended Edition.<BR>AAAAGH!!! <BR>There is no fairness in life.
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote