The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up Release date of The Hobbit

Here.

Quote:
The world premiere of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey will take place in New Zealand on 28 November.

The screening at Wellington's Embassy Theatre will take place two weeks ahead of the film's release on 14 December.
Get the babysitter booked!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Get the babysitter booked!
Fly the little ones to me, and I'll do it for $25.00 an hour.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Hopefully it will be available in theaters in NON-3d. Otherwise I
won't see it. I saw Avatar in 3d and got a headache before it
was over.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I was hoping that it would be out by the time my birthday comes about, but I guess I'll just have to have a late birthday party.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I don't want to see it in 3D either. Not until they develop the system so you don't need a pair of cardboard specs like you'd get free with a packet of Shreddies in 1979
Old 06-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
jallanite
Shade of Carn Dűm

jallanite is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
In my experience at a 3D film one gets a pair of spectacles with plastic frames and plastic lenses much more solid than anything given away free with Shreddies at any time.

Some people don’t like 3D films. Fair enough. But one ought to say honestly why one doesn’t like them rather than confuse matters with a comparison that isn’t true.
jallanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jallanite View Post
Some people don’t like 3D films. Fair enough. But one ought to say honestly why one doesn’t like them rather than confuse matters with a comparison that isn’t true.
Personally, I don't like 3D because it seems like a trendy techno way to draw viewers to a film that can't stand on its own merits.

If TH is really such a good flick, it ought to be able to make it on the strength of the story and characterizations.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I literally can't watch 3D, my eyes and brain don't know what to do and it makes me headachy nauseous.

So, I won't watch it in 3D, but don't see that as a reason to be against it. If that's what entertains people about movies, great, have fun with it.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
jallanite
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Personally, I don't like 3D because it seems like a trendy techno way to draw viewers to a film that can't stand on its own merits.

If TH is really such a good flick, it ought to be able to make it on the strength of the story and characterizations.
In the 50s it was commonly said that the best films were in black-and-white. That was, of course, an exaggeration. Looking back it is clear that some films in black-and-white were better than some films in colour, and some were not. But, on the whole, colour did enhance the cinematic experience sufficiently that a black-and-white film had to be very much better to compete.

Earlier the same was said about sound films compared to silent films.

Most really popular 3D films are released both in standard flat format and in 3D to cater to both to those who honestly feel that 3D enhances sufficiently for the extra money and those who do not. Films that can’t stand on their own merits die quickly in both flat and 3D format, for example the very expensive John Carter.

Personally, I feel that when I don’t like a film, one format or the other does not make a difference.

One film where I feel that 3D very much enhanced the cinematic experience was the film Hugo.

To take another example of new technology, the first single-projector, wide-screen film was Around the World in 80 Days, released in 1956, which was both a popular and a critical success.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
In the 50s it was commonly said that the best films were in black-and-white. That was, of course, an exaggeration. Looking back it is clear that some films in black-and-white were better than some films in colour, and some were not. But, on the whole, colour did enhance the cinematic experience sufficiently that a black-and-white film had to be very much better to compete.

Earlier the same was said about sound films compared to silent films.

Most really popular 3D films are released both in standard flat format and in 3D to cater to both to those who honestly feel that 3D enhances sufficiently for the extra money and those who do not. Films that can’t stand on their own merits die quickly in both flat and 3D format, for example the very expensive John Carter.

Personally, I feel that when I don’t like a film, one format or the other does not make a difference.
The use of color over b/w, or talkies v. silents is a different issue altogether, and usually concerned critical arguments over aesthetics. Talkies and color films actually gained favor relatively overnight and were quite popular with audiences. However, The 3-D technology as it is currently is an imposition on people who wear glasses, or have eye-related issues; ergo, not acceptable to a large number of people.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
I saw Avatar in 3d and got a headache before it was over.
Try watching Avatar in 2D...3D was the only thing that made it watchable.

Looks like the wife and me will be having another date night in December.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #12
jallanite
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
However, The 3-D technology as it is currently is an imposition on people who wear glasses, or have eye-related issues; ergo, not acceptable to a large number of people.
I always wear glasses as I am quite near-sighted without them. But I have no problem whatsoever with slipping the 3D glasses currently provided over my regular glasses. They fit very comfortably. They are not an imposition at all for me.

I am aware that some people do find 3D pictures visually annoying. I am also aware that a smaller group of people don’t feel that the increased price is worth it. I myself like 3D mostly, but not so much that I feel horribly put out if I chance at a particular time to wander into a theatre and find that only a flat version of a picture I wish to watch is available at that time. I usually then watch the flat version quite happily.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #13
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I am aware that some people do find 3D pictures visually annoying. I am also aware that a smaller group of people don’t feel that the increased price is worth it. I myself like 3D mostly, but not so much that I feel horribly put out if I chance at a particular time to wander into a theatre and find that only a flat version of a picture I wish to watch is available at that time. I usually then watch the flat version quite happily.
Agreed. I'll watch the Hobbit in 2D or 3D, if it's the Hobbit filmed in some format. When it's a 3D movie that...oh...just happens to be the Hobbit, then I'm less interested.