The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies > Sequence-by-Sequence
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-03-2006, 10:06 AM   #1
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
LotR3-RotK-Seq07

It was way past midnight
And she still couldn't fall asleep.
This night the dream was leaving
She tried so hard to keep.

And with the new day's dawning
She felt it drift away.
Not only for a cruise
not only for a day

Too long ago, too long apart
She couldn't wait another day for
The captain of her heart.
- Captain of Her Heart by Double

The Beacon of Minas Tirith, seemingly the highest point in the land (great place to watch for enemy incursions), stands out like Meneltarma from the sea. One guard stands to bar anyone from using the beacon without the Steward’s permission (he wants to avoid ‘roaming charges’). Other soldiers eat whatever provisions have been doled out to them, as soon the city will be under siege (for at least an entire day). Pip climbs up the tower from behind, ever so cleverly while Gandalf, a White Wizard, a Maia, a Slayer of a Balrog, the Staff Breaker, the Bearer of the Red Ring, cools his heels while trying to keep one eye on the hobbit. Don’t mind me, I’m just some ordinary guy whose clothes and staff had the craziest accident with a bottle of bleach.

Now Pippin’s climbing should have been excitement enough, but then he has trouble with lighting the beacon…my seat edge is just too thin! But then, the beacon is lit and the hobbit soon will be too if all goes well. The guards are amazed that the bonfire has spontaneously combusted, and Gandalf is relieved as his little trick has gone well.

Later, as the Fourth Age began, Gandalf, sitting with Frodo in Minas Tirith, remarked, “Sure, I fought a Balrog while falling into the Abyss, and atop Zirakzigil I threw down my enemy, and though life left me I came back and was clothed again in flesh, but that was nothing compared to getting that beacon lit under Denethor’s nose.”

Now, regardless of the silliness of this scene, my heart cannot but swell as the beacons jump from mountaintop to mountaintop, from the heart of Gondor to Rohan. Howard Shore’s score and the New Zealand scenery are just great here. As Gandalf says, “Hope is kindled.” Note that I’ll be throwing that comment back out in a later sequence, so hold onto that one. By the by, does anyone else wonder how the beacons on the mountain peaks are lit, maintained, staffed, reached, etc? From the look of some of the mountains, maybe the Straight Stairs aren’t that bad for Gondorians after all.

Denethor, looking out from the bat cave (or is it belfry?) sneers at the fires in the distance.

Aragorn sees the nearest beacon and manically rushes to tell King Théoden. Why he just didn’t send Gimli out with flint and tinder is beyond me. Théoden, hearing the news, makes use of the dramatic pause before answering that Rohan will answer the call.

Why is Éomer’s armor red?

Théoden calls out orders. He’s a likeable King, and seems more purposeful than when at Helm’s Deep. Here King Théoden even outshines that other king who was at Helm’s Deep as well. Éowyn makes to ride to the encampment at Dunharrow. Why they decide to assemble there is beyond me, as isn’t it out of the way? Aragorn suspects that Éowyn is doing more than meeting her official duties by traveling with the soldiers, and the hidden sword confirms it. Éowyn answers his unasked question saying that the men will follow him, Aragorn, and that he has given them hope. Does she speak for the Rohirrim or for her own heart?

Merry asks to be taken into King Théoden’s service, and is made an esquire. Glad to see that he won’t be left behind like some unclaimed baggage as Merry is more serious now. Gimli states that he wishes that some of his non-hygienic kinfolk were to marching to Minas Tirith as well, and Legolas points out that war may be coming to them. Nice to know that Minas Tirith is but one place Sauron is attacking, though it may have been better shown using a map or Galadriel. The soldiers make to ride off, and a very CG-looking Merry and horse try to go along as well - note that Merry and the horse are real, but the scene looks to be spliced in, like when Sam and Frodo first stood in Henneth Annûn.

Théoden thinks to himself, and realizes that before the walls of Minas Tirith that doom will fall (not really, but for him, it’s close enough). A chilling, in a good way, moment. Éomer shouts and the riders make for Dunharrow. A little off there, as Captain Éomer makes to pump them up, but the men are riding, not to war, but to tents, and so the emotion is not warranted at this time.

Back in West Osgiliath, hope is in shorter supply. The Gondorians (are the Ithiliens the soldiers without armor?) hastily retreat while taking heavy losses. There is little order - it’s every man for himself - and so the soldiers are routed. Bowmen give Faramir a much needed break, and he states that the city is lost and calls for the retreat (the “official” retreat). The Shriekers appear and this battle is over.

Faramir’s officer, not sure what his name is, but it’s that older guy who’s always by the Steward’s son’s side, lays dying as the orcs approach. Gothmog sees the dying man and, not sure if he’s done, sticks a fork in him. Gothmog then brags that it’s now ‘Orc time in Middle Earth.’ Just what is going on with his head? Burned? Crushed? His hand is maimed as well. Why was this orc given command by PJ (Sauron’s dead, so we can’t ask him)? Anyway…

The Gondorians retreat on foot or horseback across the Pelennor Fields while the Nazgûl attack from above. Gandalf, so inconspicuous before, suddenly rides out with Pip and now everyone takes notice. While Shadowfax hastens to the fleeing soldiers, the Nazgûl pick up and drop both men and horses. One moment of the retreat is shown in detail in the appendices (and I think that it was on the website as well) where you get to see the live action and CG.

Then it happens. Gandalf ignites the Staff of Light. Angels sing. A beam of light shoots towards the darkness and the winged shadows. They now retreat, and Gandalf hastens back to the city with the remaining soldiers.

“Gotta get back into the city before the batteries in this staff run out!”

The gates of Minas Tirith open. They look to be about 18-24 feet (6-7 meters) high, and so maybe they are comparable to the ones in the sister fortress to the east. Anyone know who the mounted statue in the city courtyard is supposed to be? Faramir, not realizing that Gandalf’s stature and power have fallen of late, reports to him about the situation in Osgiliath. The City’s fallen, you say? After all of you bolted out of there like Balrog whips were right behind?

Denethor’s spokesperson adds spin, and Gandalf chides him.

Faramir stares at Pippin, and Pip is uncomfortable with the attention. Maybe it’s because Pippin joined Denethor’s service recently yet has not started wearing the uniform. Off duty, or a slip? We get news of Frodo and Sam. At least we know that they are alive, but on an ill path. Faramir is asked to tell the old wizard everything that he knows, and I’m not sure, but surely that is not from the books.

Denethor is still not happy. This time he’s upset with Faramir’s decision regarding One Ring and One witless halfing. Though I don’t like this Denethor (what’s not to like about the book version ) but at least John Noble does the lines well. The line, “Unless at the uttermost end of need,” has more power here than in the text, as you really know what the Steward means. Great delivery. Anyway, the Steward berates his remaining son, and recalls how Boromir was his favorite. More lines from the text, great stuff, and I like the acting. Denethor stumbles, and Faramir reaches out to his father, his dad. The Steward looks confused, then almost happy, and we learn it’s not because of the living son, but due to the one that cannot return.

Madness, well shown.

Faramir takes it all in stride (maybe a little too well, and it would have been nice to see more emotion from the prodigal son). Then he is told to leave. The madness of the Steward, the orcs in Osgiliath and the hobbits without a net leave one anxious as to what is to come.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:17 PM   #2
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
Tis a beautiful song really. I liked the piano, makes for good easy listening music before sleep.

I reckon the beacons on the peaks were manned by soldiers who were selected because they were either incompetent on the battlefield, most vigilant or were just too old. I will not discount the fact the they might have been voted out of their companies during the monthly company council,

"So it's one hundred and thirteen votes for Hurin eh? Sergeant Hurin, the Company has spoken. You have been voted out of Minas Tirith."

So what would an exiled beacon warden need? Aside from a study hut that can withstand heavy snow falls, he would need warm clothing, plenty of dried rations and huge quantities of fuel (animal fats or good firewood).

Any sort of beacon duty should last about one month or so me thinks.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:25 PM   #3
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
The beacon lighting scene is magnificent, as the sweeping mountain shots and the drop-dead gorgeous Shore score remove all memory of Pippin starting it.

Is it just me, or does Aragorn run weird? Obviously, this isn't the first time we've seen him run extensively, even in this film, but it strikes me as strange. Whatever its purpose is for (maybe it's just how Viggo runs), I think it works for the character.

You'll notice that the "Reclamation of Nature" theme (as Shore dubs it) reappears as the Rohirrim charge forward to their camp. This is the theme that first showed up in FOTR with the moth and Gandalf at Orthanc and was also heard in TTT with the Ents' fifty-yard march to Isengard and Theoden's charge from the Hornburg. We'll hear it again in this film, softly as the Rohirrim prepare to charge the Pelennor, and very briefly as the moth shows up again at the Black Gate. One of the most stirring of the film's themes, IMHO.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:38 AM   #4
Trotter
Pile O'Bones

Trotter has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elladan and Elrohir
The beacon lighting scene is magnificent, as the sweeping mountain shots and the drop-dead gorgeous Shore score remove all memory of Pippin starting it.

Is it just me, or does Aragorn run weird? Obviously, this isn't the first time we've seen him run extensively, even in this film, but it strikes me as strange. Whatever its purpose is for (maybe it's just how Viggo runs), I think it works for the character.
I agree, the scenery is breathtaking, very Middle-Earth-like!

Ha! I also found Viggo's odd leaps strange... He kind of throws his legs out in front of him and moves his body about wildly... Those long Strider shanks.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:03 PM   #5
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
Heh, funny thing is I never took notice of the way he ran. Were you two referring to the scene when he when to Theoden after seeing that the beacon was lit?

Now the Theoden of that scene was more like the one we knew and loved in the books - loyal and stalwartly. I was prepared to groan and anticipate another "Where was Gondor" rant but the resolute "And we shall help them(?)" brought a smile to my face. That was the spirit of the Rohirrim right there.

As for the rout at Osiligath, I recalled that during the flashback of Faramir in TTT-EE, when Boromir was addressing his men: there seemed to be hundreds of heavy Gondorian men-at-arms. I wonder where all of them went?
Old 10-12-2006, 04:44 AM   #6
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
Later, as the Fourth Age began, Gandalf, sitting with Frodo in Minas Tirith, remarked, “Sure, I fought a Balrog while falling into the Abyss, and atop Zirakzigil I threw down my enemy, and though life left me I came back and was clothed again in flesh, but that was nothing compared to getting that beacon lit under Denethor’s nose.”
We have to have the beacon's lit at this stage if we are to see the stirring, beautiful scenes across the mountains that follow. Bookwise we know they are already lit, but movie wise we couldn't just jump to Minas Tirith and show the beacons being lit without our main characters there to explain what was happening.

Quote:
Denethor, looking out from the bat cave (or is it belfry?) sneers at the fires in the distance.
This really bugged me until I now believe he was scowling at the fact that Theoden has asked for HIS aid!!! Because he's on a lower level, so can't see the beacon of minas tirith being lit - but hears the guy shout that the beacon of amon din had been lit (and therefore thinks the beacons have been lit the other way....) - that's MY twisted logic anyway.......

Quote:
Legolas points out that war may be coming to them. Nice to know that Minas Tirith is but one place Sauron is attacking, though it may have been better shown using a map or Galadriel.
finally listening to the commentary for the scriptwriters I gnashed my teeth - they actually thought of showing the fights in lorien and the Mountain - absolutely GUTTED!!! I would have LOVED to have seen this. (Proves the scriptwriters DO know their LOTR......)

Quote:
The soldiers make to ride off, and a very CG-looking Merry and horse try to go along as well - note that Merry and the horse are real, but the scene looks to be spliced in,
listening to the commentary the horse was real, they just had a jockey riding it and spliced merry in I believe.

Quote:
Then it happens. Gandalf ignites the Staff of Light. Angels sing. A beam of light shoots towards the darkness and the winged shadows. They now retreat, and Gandalf hastens back to the city with the remaining soldiers.
I love the shot of Minas Tirith as the camera pans round to follow gandalf and the retreat.

Quote:
Denethor is still not happy. This time he’s upset with Faramir’s decision regarding One Ring and One witless halfing. Though I don’t like this Denethor (what’s not to like about the book version ) but at least John Noble does the lines well. The line, “Unless at the uttermost end of need,” has more power here than in the text, as you really know what the Steward means. Great delivery.
one of the best delivered lines in the whole trilogy for me. John Noble acts most of the cast off the stage!!!!
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote