The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2002, 10:30 AM   #1
Alchrivëwen
Haunting Spirit

Alchrivëwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alchrivëwen
Silmaril Middle-Earth encounters

Dreams, visions, and hearing problems [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] What dreams etc. have you had of Middle Earth? I've had several. Once when I was reading the part about Galadriel's mirror I closed my eyes, and when i did (this was before the movie) I saw the Eye looking straight at me,then I had a dream, I was walking down my neighborhood and all of a sudden this hologram appears, in the hologram a... thing... was calling to me. It had black hair and red eyes, all of the sudden I come to this large room where I help find something then the exit opens and I leave. Then comes te weird part, Im next to a waterfall of cars with some friends who weren't there before then we start to run because something's chasing us. I then see flowers which open and reveal red eyes. Doesn't that last part remind you of what happened to Frodo on the banks of the Anduin before the Fellowship was broken????
Old 02-24-2002, 12:14 PM   #2
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Hmmm... Last week I was standing outside waiting for the bus. Now, in Canada, it's awful cold and snowy in February. Across the road from where I was standing are a huge row of tall trees. Suddenly a gust of wind starting from the far end of the row of trees blew snow through between the trees. Slowly, the wind blew the snow like that, until it reached where I was standing. Besides the fact that I was now caked in snow, I was half expecting a white Balrog to come charging at me. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
It reminded me exactly of the scene in the movie where they are in the main hall of Moria, and all the orcs run and hide, as the run red lights flood the room. *Shudders at the memory*

On a slightly different note, though, after I graduate from highschool, I'm going to take some time off, and go find ME. Look for my name, Nevlachiel, in the history of the fourth or fifth age of ME, when some mortal gets inspired to write it. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 12:30 PM   #3
Gayahithwen
Wight

Gayahithwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Sting

Can I go with you, please? I've got a hard time finding my roots.. Apperantly, i'm an elf, but I think I got kidnapped as very young and brought into the mortal world.. Or maybe I'll just sail to the west, hoping to find the Valar..
Old 02-24-2002, 01:28 PM   #4
Belsirithil
Pile O'Bones

Belsirithil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nay... Actually, though I read all the time, I never dream of things in stories. In fact, I don't remember any particular dream in the past few months. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] However, yours seem quite interesting...
~-~Ehlana
Belsirithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 01:36 PM   #5
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

I had a middle earth encounter, but of a different kind.
My friends and I all dressed up as hobbits and elves and went for a day out in out local town, and then we went to see the film. We encountered lots of Middle Earth posters, some fanatics who actually realised who we were meant to be (I was Galadriel), and some ignorant people who jeered at us.

That was my middle earth encounter. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 02:08 PM   #6
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

That sound more like my kind of "encounter" Starbreeze.
Old 02-24-2002, 05:12 PM   #7
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

I've had two Middle-earth dreams that I can remember and about a dozen that I only have a vague sense of. See the thread on this board entitled "Dream" for the full description of the latest one, (Gollum/Tolkien in the library). The other one was a hobbit road-trip dream. (I really wish I written down what Sam said about those pre-packaged chocolate cupcakes at the gas station! It was so deep!) That dream was apparent proof that hobbits can drive, by the way.

I'm considering dressing up to see TTT. Any other Colorado Middle-earthers out there who want to come with?
Old 02-24-2002, 06:11 PM   #8
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Sign me up if you're going to ME! Hey....I know, let's have a quest to find ME! We could start our own place, with intelligent life! Sigh...
My father, Elrond, doesn't know about me yet. I want to tell him. I haven't posted my fan fic chapter where he finds out I am his daughter yet. Coming soon, though! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2002, 07:39 PM   #9
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
C'mon girls and guys, and dwarves and hobbits and fellow Elves! We're gonna go FIND Middle Earth! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] And yes, I'm serious about that... Next summer, I'm gone! You'll see- in 2004, there'll be a new release of a book about Middle Earth, and I'll be in it! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] *sighs and drifts into her own little dream world...*

[ February 24, 2002: Message edited by: Elven-Maiden ]

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 08:10 PM   #10
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Quote:
Nay...I never dream of things in stories.
Sigh...me neither...so I write. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:
Lord of the Rings
Remember Hobbits?
Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin
Nine walkers on a journey

Copyright 2001 S. Uffelman
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 08:25 PM   #11
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Boots

When I come home after staying out late, I sometimes see the moon, blurred by thin clouds, and hear the owl that has taken up residence in our backyard. It's times like that when I find an entirely different world looking back at me. It makes me wonder...Or, really, maybe I am just a very young crackpot. It happens!
Old 02-24-2002, 08:44 PM   #12
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Aralaithiel, um, Elrond is going to be a bit shocked [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] How are you going to prepare him for this? Maybe you'd best spike his coffee with miruvor!
Old 02-25-2002, 04:20 PM   #13
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Boots

Per Starbreeze:
Quote:
My friends and I all dressed up as hobbits and elves
Ooh--sound like fun! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:
Sam refused to leave his master. He came and sat, curled up at Frodo's feet, where at last he nodded and closed his eyes.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 06:40 PM   #14
Alchrivëwen
Haunting Spirit

Alchrivëwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alchrivëwen
Sting

ooooo take me to middle earth with you ((starting new topic
Old 03-02-2002, 12:32 AM   #15
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My LOTR Moment:

My Ex used to take me camping up around Ohai in California. We'd drive up into the mountain and hike into his "special place", which could only be reached by literally swimming though a mountain pool, and hiking up a gorge formed by a stream, until you came to this beautiful river valley. It was the most primitive form of camping, and the most beautiful place I had ever been.

The last time we went there, when we finally reached river valley, we were stunned by what we saw. The area had been savagely destroyed. Small trees had been deliberately bent until they were broken and smashed. Larger trees had been hacked and carved. Beer bottles had been broken everywhere, sharp glass scattered on the ground and in the stream. Trash (and other things) had been left lying everywhere. Scorched grass and the other signs of fire were all around. It was a total, deliberate attack on one of God's most beautiful places.

We just stood for moments, speechless and unbelieving. Then I said:

"Orcs have been here."
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 01:29 AM   #16
Belsirithil
Pile O'Bones

Thumbs up

Well, well... That's the most interesting one I've heard yet. When I first saw it, I wasn't thinking about the topic I was in, and I thought it was a real anecdote of your life. Now that's a real LOTR moment, one to admire...
~-~Ehlana
Old 03-02-2002, 08:40 AM   #17
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I wasn't thinking about the topic I was in, and I thought it was a real anecdote of your life. Now that's a real LOTR moment, one to admire...
It WAS a real moment, that story actually happened. And for me it was a total "LOTR Moment", though not an admirable one.

I felt like we were Sam and Frodo seeing what the Orcs were doing to Ithlien.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 02:04 PM   #18
Belsirithil
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Oh, God! Now I feel stupid! How horrible!! Damn Orcs!
~-~Ehlana
Old 03-03-2002, 01:47 PM   #19
Nilaraniel
Animated Skeleton

Nilaraniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nilaraniel Send a message via MSN to Nilaraniel Send a message via Yahoo to Nilaraniel
1420!

I was reading this topic the other day, when I didn't have any significant LOTR moments. But last night I had a WEIRD dream! I always have very vivid and strange dreams, but havn't had a LOTR one yet.

There was this Elf lady and Legolas was there to protect her. There was this mean Elf, really nasty mean evil villian type, and he would harrass the Elf lady and make fun of her and steal her stuff.
Legolas couldn't help her because the mean Elf would give him presents (one was a head band like Elrond wore) and he'd be like "Woah cool!" and forget about the mean Elf being mean...

It made me mad cause Lego is my favorite character and why would I think up this crazy dream where he's so not right? Oh well, I had to share with yall cause nobody else wants to hear. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Nilaraniel
Old 03-03-2002, 01:53 PM   #20
Belsirithil
Pile O'Bones

White-Hand

Oh, no! Reading this, I just recalled the horrible dream I had last night—nothing to do with LOTR, but damn it was scary! I was so glad to wake up and find out it wasn't real.
~-~Ehlana
Old 03-03-2002, 02:39 PM   #21
Elvenglass
Haunting Spirit

Elvenglass has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elvenglass
Silmaril

I can't remember any LotR encounters that i've had, but if you're going to ME take me with you! It's so frustrating to be around people (at school) who completely don't understand what it is like to be a Tolkien fanatic. I can't have LotR conversations with anyone! I suppose that's why I am here. Now, I propose to whoever want to come with me that we go on a quest to Middle-Earth. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2002, 02:52 PM   #22
Belsirithil
Pile O'Bones

Pipe

Why do you folks keep saying you want to go to Middle-earth, eh? And then you say "take me with you!" For what? Be productive... Please contribute rather than demanding...

Okay... What next? Maybe we could experiment to grow pointy ears? Or shall we all go to New Zealand and meet the hobbits?
~-~Ehlana
Old 03-03-2002, 06:51 PM   #23
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Anyone know of any good plastic surgeons that could turn our ears pointy? I'd be a guinea pig for such things! I want pointy ears!!
Old 03-03-2002, 06:59 PM   #24
Belsirithil
Pile O'Bones

Pipe

Umm... Not really... I don't know any plastic surgeons period. However, if there are doctors or students planning on becoming, uh, surgeons... they should tell us! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] You know, if they started practicing on the ears, they'd become quite rich, if not already!
~-~Ehlana
Old 03-03-2002, 08:08 PM   #25
Firladion Greenbow
Animated Skeleton

Firladion Greenbow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As for the ears thing, i actually have a friend with pointy ears, they were a bit like that anyway even before he had an extra pinch put in the tops, why?! he is part of a freak show and he thought it would look good.
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
I personally do not think it is a good idea, associating Elves with Freaks that is.
But each to their own.
Gets loads of weird looks when he is out in the street though.
But before you ask me for the Surgeons address, I do not know and he will not say.

As for dreaming of weird things, most nights end up in some adventure somewhere, much to the annoyance of my poor wife.
I think i am despatching an Orc, and she is getting kicked out of bed.
But she is understanding (yeah right!!)
Yours
F.G.
Old 03-05-2002, 07:53 PM   #26
Galdor
Pile O'Bones

Location: Look up. Yeah, in the big tree. No, the one to the right.
Galdor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I had a Middle-earth encounter. (This is true by the way).

I once had a dream that I was traveling with all of the dwarves in "The Hobbit". We were at an entrance to a narrow and very dark tunnel that looked similar to Moria inside. We started walking single-file into the tunnel, but we had not traveled far until it was pitch-dark inside. We couldn't see a thing (like in Mirkwood). Now the passage wasn't just one path. Different paths branched off of it, so to prevent any of us becoming separated from the rest we all placed our palms on the shoulder of the person ahead of us. We had traveled a good deal when we entered a small room that was very filthy. Strangely enough, at the far end of the room was a BATHTUB WITH A SHOWERHEAD. One of the dwarves took the showerhead from the wall and handed it to me.
He told me to turn on the shower and wash away the filth of the room so we could stay here until we continued the journey. So I did.

And then I woke up.
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2002, 08:19 PM   #27
Nilaraniel
Animated Skeleton

Nilaraniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nilaraniel Send a message via MSN to Nilaraniel Send a message via Yahoo to Nilaraniel
1420!

Galdor,

LMAO! I love your dream! Tooo funny. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Nilaraniel
Old 03-05-2002, 11:12 PM   #28
Galdor
Pile O'Bones

Location: Look up. Yeah, in the big tree. No, the one to the right.
Galdor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thank you Nilaraniel. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2002, 03:31 AM   #29
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

I think I had a dream a few hours ago on the bus on my way home. A trifle embarassing when I found out that I was actually asleep.
So anyway, the bus was on the highway, at about 80 kmp, and being half-asleep/half awake, I think I saw the shire out the window. Then I had to wake up because my head was on the shoulder of the guy next to me. I was tired, and...well...thank God I didn't drool.
(too revealing, but at least I'm relieved that all I "did" was put my head on the guy's shoulder)

phew. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote