The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2004, 01:04 AM   #1
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe CBC Posting Techniques.

The title says it all. I just want to hear how others post on the Chaper-by-Chapter Discussion. Maybe I’ll start first.

I grab a pad and a pencil, then I skim the chapter, jotting down anything that comes into mind. After that I check the pad, and check to see which are firm ideas and which are not. I read the chapter again, this time more slowly and with time to pause and ponder. Sustainable ideas are then written out in detail, and the rest are tagged for deletion. Finally, I add some of my comments on the chapter. That’s the preparation phase.

When I’m about to post, I read the thread first, to see if my points were already presented, and to look for supporting thoughts, or statements worth commenting. Then I adjust my prepared post accordingly, and finally I post it.

It works for me sometimes, but there are other chapters where sustainable ideas are hard to come by.

How about the other CBC posters? How do you prepare a CBC post? (Maybe I can borrow some ideas . . . )
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 07:25 AM   #2
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm impressed! Nothing as organised for me, I'm afraid. I read the chapter through again, and sometimes there will be something which leaps out at me, and if this is the case, I will go through and gather my thoughts together in a methodical fashion. At other times I simply read what others have written and may respond to their thoughts, or if I have nothing new to add, let is pass by and just enjoy reading the posts. But I also anticipate favourite chapters and lie in wait for them to come along, like a Tiger with my Tolkien claws sharpened.

I think some chapters attract more comment, and if this is a particularly popular one, it can be hard to keep up with everything and create a coherent post yourself! Still, with your approach, there should be no problems with that!
Old 11-22-2004, 12:04 PM   #3
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Unless I'm inclined to analyse poetry, I usually react on the spot - to what is posted. That's, btw, one of the great point of the board system - without fellow discussers my own reasoning (beside great things one has the chance of learning) would have been shallower

cheers

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 12:35 AM   #4
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerenIstarion
I usually react on the spot - to what is posted.
I wish I could do that! But considering I only get to read the posts on weekends, and how long the posts can get, I cannot do so. So instead, the rest of the week I read the chapter, then take down notes and ideas, then edit them into a sensible post-worthy post (more or less). Then on weekends, I try to read as much posts as I can and react to them, if I can. Unfortunately, I usually don't have enough time to do that. Argh!
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote