The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2005, 01:25 PM   #1
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Notice Board for - Midsummer Maulings (Moderated by Mithalwen)

*rubs hands gleefully*

I have been expecting you..........

Please read the proposal for the game carefully before you sign up. It is vital for the game to work properly that all participants are able to be involved. Because some rules are different this time, passivity and non-participation are not acceptable. since I want only 12 players it should be a short game and so I think it is reasonable to expect you to know whether they will be available to post.

Time frame.

I did not expect WW4 to finish quite so quickly and anticpated starting on Monday. However assuming I get 12 players quickly, I intend to start on Sunday afternoon. This is because I may not be able to post on Saturday and the time will allow me to do preparations to speed the game once it has started......

Days and Nights will last up to 24 hours but may be shorter if a lynching is agreed quicker and the night time requests are submitted promptly. However participants should remember that due to work I may not be able to start a new day or night instantly the decisions are made. And this may effect the timings.

Basically, I should be able to check in briefly shortly before 9am BST ( GMT =1), again for longer between 1 and 2 o'clock but I will be online most in the early evening.

The Game

The players represent a village, and each member of the village has a role, which is kept secret. Most players are Ordinary Villagers, but three are Werewolves, one is a Seer, one a Hunter, one a Guardian, one Mythomaniac. The goal of the villagers is to eliminate all of the werewolves. Likewise, the goal of the werewolves is to eliminate the villagers, which they can do if the number of non-werewolves is equal or less than the number of werewolves.

Gameplay

The game consists of two different phases: Night and Day. The game begins with a short Night post before the first Day.

Night

Night lasts 24 hours, or less if all night-time activity is completed before then.

During Night, The Werewolves may PM one another. The Werewolves must PM the Moderator about who they have chosen to kill.

The Seer must PM the Moderator concerning their Dream.

The Hunter must PM the Moderator concerning who they want to kill if they die.
The Guardian must PM the Moderator concerning who they want to protect.
The Hunter and the Guardian will know each other's identities and may PM each other in order that their choices do not conflict.

The mythomaniac will be asked to choose another player on night 2. They will take on the same role as that person for the remainder of the game. If they choose another ordinary villager they will remain an ordinary villager and not reveal openly that they were the mythomane (they will of course klnow that another person is innocent......). If they choose a werewolf they will become a werewolf and be introduced to their furry friends. If they choose Seer they will become a second seer. However they will not be able to communicate. If they become a guardian or hunter they will be introduced to their fellow "angels".
The mythomaniac's new powers will not take effect the next day. So if the mythomaniac is the wolves chosen victim on night 2.... well they stay dead and don't become a wolf nor can they "hunt". Neither can they dream or guard. The earliest the mythomane could use their newly gained powers would be they became a hunter and were lynched next day.....

Day

Day lasts 24 hours, or less if all day-time activity is completed before then.

During the daytime the villagers all wake up and find that one of their own has been killed by the werewolves. At this point at least one player is a werewolf and so someone is gonna get lynched.

During this phase all players, including werewolves who have assumed villager form, must publicly discuss their suspicions. Eventually it will reach a point where villagers start to cast votes for who they feel is a werewolf and must be lynched. Votes are retractable and are cast by embolden a name with a ++ sign before it, all in capitals, e.g. ++Mithalwen.

At the end of the Day (or earlier if a majority is reached before this) the player with the most votes is lynched (killed) and their secret role is revealed. If votes are tied at the end of a full 24hr day a player will be selected at random from ALL PLAYERS LIVING AND UNDEAD and will be deemed to have been killed in the crush of the mob.. To retract a vote embolden the name with -- before it and cast a new vote. EG: -- Mithalwen ++ Erenor. If you retract a vote and do not give a new vote you will be deemed to have voted for yourself.

DO NOT CHANGE YOUR VOTE BY EDITING. YOU MUST NOT EDIT POSTS. TO CHANGE A VOTE MAKE A NEW POST USING THE PROCESS ABOVE.

I trust that other players will deal appropriately with those who either do not vote, or appear to abuse the retractable vote. It is allowed so that villagers may be persuaded and rethink not for random rabble rousing. Persistent offenders may find themselves meeting unexpected ends.

When the lynching is finished all the villagers go back to their homes to sleep and the next Night begins.

Winning

The villagers win if they kill all of the werewolves. The werewolves win if they kill enough villagers so that their numbers are equal. At this point the werewolves can openly rise up and slaughter the rest of the villagers.

Roles (in slightly more detail):

Ordinary Villagers: All they have to do is deduce the werewolves by Day.

Werewolves: Choose one person to kill per Night by PMing one another and discussing their ideas, then PM the Moderator with this decision. Werewolves may not PM each other during Day. During Day, they should try to avoid detection as werewolves.

Seer: Chooses one person to Dream about each Night. The role of this person is revealed only to the Seer. During Day, the Seer should use this information to influence the debate as inconspicuously as possible.

The Werewolf Hunter: If the Hunter is killed by a Werewolf or hanged by Villagers, he/she names one other player before being killed. That player is then automatically killed. The Hunter should PM the Moderator each Night to say who they want to kill if they die during night. If the Hunter is lynched during Day, there might be a small delay in the beginning of the next Night as they will need to contact the Moderator

The Guardian: Each night, the Guardian names another player. If that player is the Werewolf victim, the victim survives and there is no death that night.

The Guardian and the Hunter may confer at night in order that their requests do not compete.

Discrepancies

Compromising privacy: You can say you're a villager/seer/werewolf, etc. all you want, but under no circumstances should you post anything that would give your claim absolute credibility. You are not allowed to post any PMs or other private conversation between yourself and the game moderator. Infractions of this rule are grounds for immediately disqualification from that game and all future games.

Outside interference: Once you are killed in a werewolf game you should no longer post in the thread, or the Werewolf I thread, or communicate with players that are still alive in the game. You're dead. Dead people tell no tales. Breaching of this rule will result in disqualification from all future games.

Private Messages: Players may not PM one another about the game; all discussion must be open. The exceptions are the Werewolves, who may only PM one another during Night, and the Guardian and Hunter who may PM each other at Night. Please remember to keep space for PMs from other players or the Moderator, if relevant.

Role Play: I am not overly keen on this as the pretence soon slips - however there will be acertain amount of characterisation - further details will be communicated to accepted players. So rather than fake villagers, regard yourselves as participants in a Murder Mystery party set in a pre-industrial society.....

So while, faux-rural accents will not be generally required (nor appreciated by teh moderator!), please remember you are playing a game not presenting a draft treaty to the European Parliament. I hope that the retractable vote will reduce the need for lengthy hypotheses ..... the moderator reserves the right execute anyone who bores her to sobs (if only this were an option in Real life...)

Absences: As I said, if you don't think you can give this game sufficient time over its expected life of a week, please do not sign up. If there are truly unforseen circumstances contact me ASAP.

Please remember to stay invisible. You can do this by going to User CP, change options and clicking the Invisible Mode button.

Rules:

-Rule 1 Read all the above carefully
- Rule 2 No whinging
- Rule 3 See Rule 1
- Rule 4 The moderator is always right and her decision is final
-Rule 5 No whinging
-Rule 6 There is no rule 6.
If you have any queries or think you may have spotted my deliberate mistake (ie anything I have inadvertantly forgotten or not thought of) post them. Otherwise sign up below (name only - no role necessary at this point) and I will PM with further destructions...

acknowledgements to TGWBS for ripping of his rules...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 06-30-2005 at 01:31 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:39 PM   #2
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
I have read all carefully.
I am not whining.
You, Mithalwen, are always right.
I am committed to the game for the duration unless thou release me or death take me.
Please count me in.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:43 PM   #3
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I will submit myself to you tyrannical dictatorship
Old 06-30-2005, 01:47 PM   #4
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

The werewolf games have been appealing to me, and I'd like to join this one although I can't really do anything on the Downs from July 10-15 and possibly a little after. Would it be alright for me to play until then and maybe die in some kind of freak accident before then? If this is not possible I can understand.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:48 PM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Splendid....

Morm & Holbytlass -You are both clearly ideal participants!!!

I will email you with further details - but obviously not yet your roles which will only be selected when we are all assembled...

Only nine places left if we assume SpM is pencilled in.......

Last edited by Mithalwen; 06-30-2005 at 01:57 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-30-2005, 01:55 PM   #6
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Sorry

Meneltarmarcil : this is tough but I think I will have to say no given the timeframe. I mena you might be dead on day 2 but you might be among a handful of players reaching the denouement next weekend - you might have a significant role - it would be unfair to the other players to lose someone at that stage. I hope that I will have another chance to moderate if this goes well and that you will be able to play then

Old 06-30-2005, 01:56 PM   #7
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

That's fine. I'll wait until some other game.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:38 PM   #8
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Hmm, a lot of that looks oddly familiar.

I wish to sign up.

Ah, I found the deliberate mistake!

Quote:
Basically, I should be able to check in briefly shortly before 9am BST ( GMT =1)
If GMT were equal to 1, time would be frozen. And then you would reign forevermore, and nobody could challenge your supremacy! I see your plan!
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:44 PM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Imitation.......

be flattered ....

YEs well spotted! BST is of course GMT + 1 hour... yet to fully master the shift key...

Old 06-30-2005, 03:13 PM   #10
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Best of luck, Mith-can't play in this due to long sojourn in Florence, but I'm sure you'll carry this off extremely well, and I'll enjoy reading it on my return...
Old 06-30-2005, 03:35 PM   #11
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I'd like to join in again please Mithalwen. Hopefully I'll last a bit longer this time!
Old 06-30-2005, 03:45 PM   #12
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
count me in too...
Old 06-30-2005, 04:45 PM   #13
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
After following the last game, I am compelled to join. I'll be done with my internship tomorrow, so I should have a lot more time to participate.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:55 PM   #14
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Count me in.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:03 PM   #15
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand Regretfully ...

... I think that I shall have to pass on this game. I will be away for 2 weeks beginning on Sunday, 10 July, and it looks quite possible that this game will run beyond that.

Have fun!
Old 06-30-2005, 06:27 PM   #16
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Eye

Hmm...I'd love to try my hand at this, if I may.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:51 PM   #17
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

It all sounds so interesting, I'd like to give it a try.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:06 PM   #18
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Your mindless zombie army is at your service...

The Mythomaniac! Excellent!
I should love to be included in this game.
And I'm not whining or whinging

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:01 AM   #19
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
White Tree

Sophia could be convinced to give this a try.

(read: please include me, O Mighty Mithalwen)
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:07 AM   #20
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand Ah, Erenor.

My dear colleague, how could I resist?

I'm . . . in.

Hey, I thought I'm playing.

Right. Adam's in. Not me. My alter-ego.

Haha. Step aside, embodied sentients.

Hush. You embarass me.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:06 AM   #21
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

I believe the tale of the Twelve has been fulfilled...
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:11 AM   #22
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Spendid - ~I have my dozen and a fair share of fresh carrion if I am not mistaken ...

I will contact you all shortly ....

Please make sure you are aware of the different rules.

IE Retractable Votes

Random Killing after 24 hours if no majority reached

No Shiriffs

No cursed villager

BUT

Huter and Guardian in cahoots
Mythomane who may be ..anything!!!!

I am looking forward to this so much

Old 07-01-2005, 09:13 AM   #23
Gil-Galad

looking forward to it...
Old 07-01-2005, 11:53 AM   #24
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Lhuna - I am prepared to make it a baker's dozen... so I assume you want in? I think I can manage one more without upsetting the balance too much..........

I will work on the basis of yes and allocate you a role... if you don't want to play let me know asap

Old 07-01-2005, 12:22 PM   #25
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Okay troops, Iam about to attempt a mass-message re. characterisation. If you do not receive this please let me know.

Once that is done I will select roles at random and the wolves and the Seer & guardian may liase to arrange contact policy. Who knows what timezones they may be in... The Wolves may like to nominate a spokeswolf..... In the event of the Guardian and the Hunter not liasing and submitting conflicting requests, I have decided that the guardian would not be able to protect against the hunter.

The Guardian may not protect the same person twice running.

As soon as you know your role, pleas make yourself invisible.

Only the Seer needs to contact me to give a name. Noone else is active teh first night.

Once the game thread opens please use this thread or PMs for questions and leave the game thread for the game.

I am sure, there will be points I have forgotten but despite my megalomania yesterday I will try to resolve them as fairly as possible

The Game will start on Sunday afternoon DVWP. If there is a minor catastrophe (ie loss of net acccess) to prevent this it will start Monday lunchtime...... if there is a major catastrophe (IE I fall under a bus ...well sorry folks you will have to start again with another moderator....

Thank you all for playing. I hope we all have a lot of fun in our different ways.

Mithalwen.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 07-01-2005 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:42 PM   #26
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well

there will be other times .. however sinceI am currently notifying people of their roles..it is too late for this one..

Old 07-01-2005, 02:09 PM   #27
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

By the time you read this........

TO CLARIFY

I will be the first corpse.

Only the SEER needs to do anything before the Game starts on Sunday afternoon.
(Obviously the wolves and Hunter&Guardian may contact to discuss strategy until the DAY starts..)

Please make sure you have space for PMs .......

I have been unable to contact reach 1 player - you know who you are!!!!!!!!

Players in sign up order

Holbytlass
Mormegil
The guy who be short
Kath
Gil-Galad
Orominuialwen
Firefoot
Durelin
Kitanna
Oddwen
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Nilpaurion Felagund
Feanor of the Peredhil

Last edited by Mithalwen; 07-03-2005 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:45 PM   #28
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril Oops

Oh dear, I completely missed this one...
That's all right, though, I'll be looking forward to reading along and joining in again next game.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:11 AM   #29
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots I canna' wait for ze fun to begin...

Iz it still to start today, scrimptious Mithalwen?

Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:10 AM   #30
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Sorry for the delay. I am just about to post the news of my sad demise.

Anyone wishing add to my laughter in paradise should send me their character details in time for my next posting (24 hours from the time I fisnish posting my intro).

Remember questions here or by PM.

If the question is general please post here and leave more space in my in box for private questions.

Cheers

Old 07-03-2005, 11:10 AM   #31
Gil-Galad

it will be lots of fun...love your avvie btw Durelin, i have the full one that goes through the whole beginning scene
Old 07-03-2005, 12:43 PM   #32
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Right the intro is up. I am sorry for not including all of you individually butI am still waiting for some chars. I repeat that I have used the chars for my own amusement and their use by me should not indicate any significance in the game.

ALL COMMENTS TO ME SHOULD BE IN THIS THREAD

Old 07-03-2005, 01:13 PM   #33
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Thank you for the good start - even to the backseat driver Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I would like to apologise for the delay which was due to my fondness for Roger Federer.

Old 07-03-2005, 01:39 PM   #34
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Mithy,

I know the characters are for your own amusement, but do you mind if we use them in the village too? I'd like to work in a few jokes concerning my own character - and I've already guessed one or two of the others, so I'd like to make a few puns there too.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:43 PM   #35
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Yes but it must not compromise the game.

Old 07-03-2005, 03:23 PM   #36
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Gil- I'd PM you, but I'd hate for you to garner suspicion from being seen PMing. I recommend turning on invisible.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:01 AM   #37
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Mith, when you say that we have to reach a majority, do you mean that for us to lynch someone at least 7 of us have to agree? In other words, if the score was

A - 5
B - 4
C - 4

Person A would still be lynched, right?

Sorry if this seems obvious, but considering all the other rule changes I thought I'd check.

Last edited by Firefoot; 07-04-2005 at 08:24 AM.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 07:08 AM   #38
Gil-Galad

you can only vote once right?
Old 07-04-2005, 07:24 AM   #39
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

You can only vote for one person, but you can change your vote.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:25 AM   #40
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Question: can that myth guy choose a dead villager? And is the village aware of the person that is chosen?