The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2007, 02:28 PM   #2641
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
O yes

---- --- o-- --- -o -o--, ------, ------, --o----!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:32 AM   #2642
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Any "k"s?
Old 06-07-2007, 09:30 AM   #2643
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
O K

---- --- o-- k-- -o -o--, ------, ------, --o----!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 06-07-2007, 01:03 PM   #2644
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
N please
Old 06-08-2007, 12:47 AM   #2645
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

N O K

---- --- o-- k-n -o -o--, ------, ------, --o----!
Old 06-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #2646
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"i"s, please.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:11 PM   #2647
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I K O N

---- --- o-- kin -o -o--, ------, -i----, --o----!
Old 06-08-2007, 02:22 PM   #2648
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

How about S?
Old 06-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #2649
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I K O N S

---- --- o-- kin -o -o--, ------, sis---, --o----!
Old 06-09-2007, 02:19 AM   #2650
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Aha!

"Pish, Tom Bombadil! I'll go and tell my mother;
"Call all our kin to come, father, sister, brother!"

The otter to Tom, in "Bombadil goes boating"
Old 06-09-2007, 06:11 AM   #2651
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Bravo, Guinevere! Despite the few letters, those that were chosen (Tuor's K was a good choice!) did help give it away. Your turn now.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:53 AM   #2652
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thank you, Esty!
Really, I often profit from Tuor's more daring letter choices!
Thank you, Tuor!

"----/ --/ -----/ -/ ------/ ---/ -----------/ ----/ -----/ ------/ ---/ -------/ -------/ --/ ---/ ----/"
Old 06-12-2007, 08:10 AM   #2653
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well, in that case, how about "m"s to start?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #2654
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

I'm sorry - no M at all

"----/ --/ -----/ -/ ------/ ---/ -----------/ ----/ -----/ ------/ ---/ -------/ -------/ --/ ---/ ----/"
Old 06-19-2007, 10:53 AM   #2655
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"n"s?
Old 06-19-2007, 10:59 AM   #2656
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Let's try my very conventional favourite - S, please.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:06 PM   #2657
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

NS (no M)

"----/ --/ ---s-/ -/ s-----/ -n-/ -n---------/ ----/ s----/ -----n/ ---/ -----n-/ -------/ --/ ---/ ----/"
Old 06-20-2007, 12:27 AM   #2658
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

"Abwarten und Tee trinken"... T-time!
Old 06-20-2007, 07:44 AM   #2659
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

NST (no M)

"----/ -t/ ---st/ -/ st----/ -n-/ -n------t--/ ----/ st---/ --t--n/ t--/ -n---nt/ -------/ --/ ---/ ----/"
Old 06-20-2007, 09:08 AM   #2660
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Well, since Guinevere can't ask for her favourite O , I will - please.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:34 PM   #2661
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

TONS (no M)

"----/ -t/ ---st/ -/ st----/ -n-/ -n-o----t--/ -o--/ st---/ --t--n/ t--/ -n---nt/ -o-----/ o-/ o--/ ----/"
Old 06-21-2007, 03:39 AM   #2662
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

R there any Rs?
Old 06-21-2007, 08:20 AM   #2663
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"a"s?
Old 06-21-2007, 01:51 PM   #2664
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

NO STAR (no M) good choices

"--r-/ at/ --ast/ a/ st-r--/ an-/ -n-orr--t--/ -o--/ st---/ r-t--n/ t--/ an---nt/ -o-ra--/ o-/ o-r/ ra--/"
Old 06-25-2007, 11:46 AM   #2665
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"u"s, please.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:08 PM   #2666
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

OATS RUN (no M)

"--r-/ at/ --ast/ a/ stur--/ an-/ un-orru-t--/ -o--/ st---/ r-t--n/ t--/ an---nt/ -oura--/ o-/ our/ ra--/"
Old 06-27-2007, 12:16 PM   #2667
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"y"s, please.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:35 PM   #2668
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

ROSY AUNT (no M)

"--r-/ at/ --ast/ a/ stur-y/ an-/ un-orru-t--/ -o--/ st---/ r-t--n/ t--/ an---nt/ -oura--/ o-/ our/ ra--/"
Old 06-30-2007, 02:13 AM   #2669
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I can recognize enough words in this quote by now, but though it sounds Tolkienesque, it doesn't seem familiar - I have no idea where it might be located. Since I know the other works pretty well, that leaves the "Father Christmas Letters". Should I look there?
Old 07-02-2007, 01:33 PM   #2670
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Sorry for the delay!
I hope you haven't wasted time searching in the Father Christmas letters, because it isn't from there. It's in "Tales from the Perilous Realm"
Old 07-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #2671
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Thanks for the clue - that does narrow things down!

*digs out the Tales and starts looking...*
Old 07-03-2007, 09:25 AM   #2672
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"c"s, please.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:57 PM   #2673
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

...and E, please.

I don't know why I'm not finding this, though I've been searching in the "Tales" - it sounds like it should be in "Farmer Giles", but I've paged through that story without success.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #2674
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

SEA COUNTRY (no M)

"-ere/ at/ -east/ a/ stur-y/ an-/ uncorru-te-/ -o--/ st---/ ret--n/ t-e/ anc-ent/ coura-e/ o-/ our/ race/"

@Esty: you're on the right track: it really is from Farmer Giles! (A pompous person speaking )
Old 07-04-2007, 01:39 AM   #2675
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I finally located it! I don't know how I missed it on my numerous skims of the story, but no matter.

It's the King of the Little Kingdom (sorry, I don't feel like typing all of his names and titles ), speaking of the sitizens of Ham after Farmer Giles' first victory over the dragon.

Quote:
Here at least a sturdy and uncorrupted folk still retain the ancient courage of our race.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:48 PM   #2676
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thumbs up That's right!

Well, it's not a quote I myself would have remembered either..
Old 07-06-2007, 08:34 AM   #2677
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

My feelings about some quotes occasionally...
Quote:
'----- --- ---- --- ---- ----?' .... '- ---'- -------- ------ ---- --- ------.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:56 PM   #2678
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Are there any O's?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:24 AM   #2679
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

O yes!

'----- --- ---- o-- -o-- --o-?' .... '- -o-'- -------- ------ ---- o-- ---o--.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:05 AM   #2680
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"r"s?