The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-10-2004, 01:29 AM   #1
Quirkette
Haunting Spirit

Quirkette has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril The Girl with the Boy Hobbit Hairstyle

A few days ago, I went to my hairstylist and showed her a picture I'd clipped from a magazine. The model in the mag had a nice short shag haircut, and I said I'd like that, and I had my hair colored, too. When Penny finished with me, I was pleased with my new look. My hair turned out to be a heck of a lot wavier than that model's, but no matter. I digged it.
So today, I'm reading the paper, and I come across a picture of Sean Astin in his hobbit hair. So blond, wavy, shaggy. Then I realized it. I now have the exact some haircut with the exact same hair color. I have Sam's hair even though I'm a girl.
So, what I want to know is, do you think this is a good look for a girl? Or is it ridiculous? Please tell me, I'm confused.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:04 AM   #2
Miriel Undomiel
Wight

Miriel Undomiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Miriel Undomiel
Hehehe... *evil grin*
Well, as long as you look like a girl besides your hairstyle, it wont be a problem.
My hair kinda looks like Galadriels. A bit shorter, though.

So, Quirkette, you just relax! Many girls have short hair, and I'm sure you look very pretty with 'Boy Hobbit' hairstyle!
Old 05-10-2004, 10:14 AM   #3
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Samwise Gamgee has wonderful hobbit-hair.

And his are the only pointy ears that look really really real.

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 04:22 PM   #4
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

I have the Hobbitiest hair ever. It makes me angry because I can't do anything with it and it doesn't really look that good on me. My friend has Aragorn hair and it looks quite good, despite the fact that it is red.
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 07:14 PM   #5
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
I digged it.
hey, if you liked it, that's all you need to know. If you let others tell you how to do your hair, etc., etc., you'll always be living someone else's life. Besides, I couldn't answer your question without seeing it on you, & I'm sure you don't live near me, so just stick to what you think of it .
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 10:32 PM   #6
Quirkette
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Well, thanks guys, for your replies. I feel lots better about it now. One good thing is that my face isn't so very much like Sean's was in the movie, as I have a thin face. And I am, after all, a girl. But now I am thinking I should get pointed ears. That would complete my look perfectly.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:40 PM   #7
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Well, that sure is interesting

But if you like it, and it looks good on you, you should just go with it. The thinner face would most definitely make a difference though, because the hobbits (especially Sam) did have much more rounder faces, and of course you don't have pointy ears. So, yeah, sounds great!

So I hope you enjoy the little bit of hobbit hair in your life
Old 05-10-2004, 11:58 PM   #8
Amariden Ravenhill
Wight

Amariden Ravenhill has just left Hobbiton.
Narya

Fret not my friend! As a six-year-old I had my hair cut "Hobbit-style", then at age fourteen I had "elven hair". Nowadays, I sport "Aragorn hair" (yes, ranger style AND king style!!!). Hehehe.....Ever since the LOTR movies came out, guys and gals started wearing longer hair again...... I likes boys with long hair, I like it I does......

Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë!
Amariden Ravenhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 09:43 AM   #9
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Fear not! If you ask me the Hobbit hair looks a little feminine to begin with. I think it would look good on a girl. I have a problem because I have Aragorn hair and I'm a girl. It's brown, shoulder length and usually greasy so I'd rather have a Hobbit-do.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:25 AM   #10
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
I likes boys with long hair, I like it I does......
Very funny, Amariden... so do I. *sheepish grin*

A hobbit's hair should be interesting...but if you look boyish, there's a possibility for you to be mistaken for a boy. If you don't, good for you.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 12:24 PM   #11
Nimrothiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nimrothiel has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Nowhere near as bad as what happened to me in third grade. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to cut my hair. When my mom saw what I had done, she whisked me straight off to the hairdresser's. There wasn't much to work with, so I wound up with a very short hairstyle. This wasn't so bad until I got to school and realized that one of the boys had the exact same haircut.
Mercifully, it didn't take long before my hair grew out, and I had rather long elven hair until I reached the eighth grade. (I rather liked this as it made my ears look pointed if some of it was in front of them and the rest behind.) I got it cut again, and this time it was much better; no one I knew had the same style, least of all a boy. Now that I think of it, my hair looked rather like Boromir's; same length, different color, and a distressing tendency towards greasiness. I let my hair grow out again, but I always wore it up in a pony-tail; rather like Eowyn would have to as Dernhelm, no? I recently started wearing it down again and dyed it from its depressingly dull medium brown to a brilliant--yet oddly natural-looking--red. I have once more had it cut and styled, and now it looks oddly like Faramir's hair, but not as wavy. Don't feel bad about your hairstyle, if you like it and feel it looks good on you it doesn't matter what other people think. Besides, it could be a lot worse; if you've read the text above you know what I mean.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:43 PM   #12
Quirkette
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

I'm a pretty girly girl, so it's okay. Well, now the haircut has grown out a little, and it seems to spring up and get all puffy and I have to tame the heck out of it with various gels, sprays, and mousses!

Thanks for all the cool hair stories. You elf hair types sure are lucky, but I bet dwarf hair is nice too; Gimli's seems to be very thick and hearty and healthy, at any rate.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:15 AM   #13
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Palantir-Green

I think having hobbit hair would be very nice. If ye like it, then Huzzah! Me, I've got straight flat hair I can't really do much with... so I'm just growing it out so it'll look all elvish and whatnot..
Old 06-12-2004, 06:11 PM   #14
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

Why does this sound familiar? Now I remember! There's this kid at my school and he's got hobbit hair. Not a specific hobbits hair, just regular natural hobbit hair. Then, one day, he came to school and was no longer had hobbit hair. He had had a hair cut and no longer had his hobbit hair. It was a real shame. Just goes to show there's a shortage of hobbit hair in this world!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 06:24 PM   #15
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Well, for the longest time, I had long hair. Shoulder length, down to my butt, then shoulder length again. Finally, I convinced my mom to let me get it cut short. I love it! It's not quite hobbitish, a little too long (down to around earlobe level). Right now, I'm trying to get my hair cut in a boyish cut, so I can spike it up with gel. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a tomboy..almost quite the opposite in fact. Oh well! It's so fun being me!
Old 07-17-2004, 03:16 PM   #16
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
I have natural female Hobbit hair (reddish-brown with bangs and very curly), although when I was little (6 and younger) I had more of a male Hobbit haircut. The annoying thing is that my hair hasn't been cut in nearly 11 years and it still is only a couple of inches past my shoulders, and even shorter when it's really humid outside!
Old 07-17-2004, 04:24 PM   #17
One of the Nine
Haunting Spirit

Location: In my mind. What? Why are you looking at me like that?
One of the Nine has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to One of the Nine Send a message via MSN to One of the Nine
Sting

Well, all of you are really lucky. I have straight hair, although when I was young it used to be corkscrew curly. And, to Quirkette, I say, if you like it, it doesn't matter what anybody else says. Sometimes, you just have to be yourself, even if it's not the most popular thing to do. Me, I get my hair styled how I want it, with the occasional tip from my very friendly hairstylist, Renea.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:59 AM   #18
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

hey, don't worry about it. i've got sam's hair too, and i LOVE it! (i get mistaken for a guy quite a bit, but that's probably because of the clothes i wear...that and i'm never whithout a baseball cap)

Cheers!

Elrond's (other) daughter