Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #921
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Perfect here are old school bios (it helps me if noone else) for my new characters and I will get on with a first post.

NAME: Elintiriel (“Elin”)

RACE: Men(!) of Gondor.

WEAPONS: Has a long knife but not usually worn.
APPEARANCE: 5”11. Grey eyes, long dark hair that would be the curly side of wavy if not restrained. Usually worn pinned up. These days usually wears grey and no adornment save her wedding ring. Her clothes are good quality but not new and hang in a way that indicate that she has not always been as thin as she is now. Overall though she bears no real marks of age she has prematurely lost the bloom of youth.
PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Now liable to seem tense, anxious and defensive but it has not always been so - Losing her home and husband has made her thus. Previously she had been a merry intelligent child who grew into a lively and largely contented young woman. Although trained as a girl in the various accomplishments deemed appropriate for a young woman she has greatest interest and skill at the herblore she learnt from her grandmother as a child.

HISTORY: Born at Edhellond the child of a swan-knight and what her father’s snootier relations liked to term a farmer’s daughter - though in fact her grandsire was a minor landowner of as good Numenorean stock as they. Having lost her parents quite young Elin and her younger brother Eardil were raised by her mother’s kin and had enjoyed a quiet country upbringing, until her father’s family pulled rank and summoned them to Dol Amroth aiming to turn Elin into an elegant lady fit for an advantageous match, and her brother in due course into a Knight. They had limited success with Elin who despite attending at times the royal ladies of Belfalas was never really suited to the formal and restrained life at court. Her father’s family might have regarded her marriage to a Ranger of Ithilien at nineteen as a step down but she was as happy with her husband, Anborn, and later also her daughter Angharad,as it was possible to be under the growing shadow of Mordor. That is until they were forced to flee to Minas Tirith when Mount Doom once more burst into flame. Anborn was lost later during a skirmish with servants of the enemy in his former homeland. Though his body was not recovered, none of his raiding party were in any doubt that he had died. Elin had tarried a year in Minas Tirith hoping against hope until her uncle issued the sort of invitation to return to Dol Amroth that brooked no refusal.
She and her daughter were due to take a ship that would take them there but there was a second ship a swift ship that would take her further north without breaking the voyage at Belfalas. A ship that might take her to a place where she feels safe and can give her daughter the simple country childhood she had herself for a while.

And so she has recently arrived at Mithlond and been harboured by the elf, Mithalwen.

~*~

NAME: Angharad (“Annie”)

AGE: 4 and three quarters... such things are important when you are four...

RACE: Men of Gondor

WEAPONS: Only the usual childish ones of emotional blackmail and sensing parental weaks spots. She does almost always carry a one eared and generally rather battered toy rabbit made of felt, somewhat incongruously named Isildur.

APPEARANCE: Black wavy hair cut at shoulder length, pale skin and cornflower blue eyes . From a growth chart it seems like a nearly five year old of tall parents would be 3”8 – so on a par with a full grown hobbit! Her mother likes to dress her in blue to complement her eyes but her travelling cloak is grey.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Still being formed but a determined temperament is is manifesting itself. While there are increasing clashes of will between Angharad and her mother she gets anxious if separated from her never quite trusting that the promise of swift return will be fulfilled. At her best, can be endearing.

HISTORY: Daughter of Elintirieland Anborn. She was born in Ithilien but was two when Mount Doom erupted into flame and that land was abandoned. Thereafter as Elin.

----------------------------------------

LINKED ~*~ Pio

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-19-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #922
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Great! Excited to have you back in the inn!

-- Foley
Old 02-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #923
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Looking forward to it.. though now I have corrected it I have saddled her with a very awkward name.. Mayhave to tinker with that before I post properly. Why are the things that should be easy sometimes the sticking point.

Okies we may all be in the gutter but she shall be looking at the stars... If the Sindarin isn't perfect I shall let it go.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 02-18-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #924
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm leaving for a day or so. I'll be back tomorrow afternoon or so. Be good while I'm gone. No fighting, no fires, that sort of thing....

I take that back, IF a fight breaks out, fine - just don't break the rules, okay? And no fires still. I like my inn.

-- Foley
Old 02-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #925
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Okeydoke... I may take a days grace since I am off to Camelot (or at least one of the pretender's to that title!) And I didn't expect to be home so late this evening... shows what happens when you get the old family pictures out! But should post by tomorrow evening.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #926
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Bom, it looks like All and Hamwill are going to, um, accidentally offend each other to death.

Foley, does smashing furniture and plates count as breaking rules? *sounding hopeful* I mean, do you mind if Al gets overexcited? *extremely disappointed* I thought you would. No fights, no fires, keep the inn intact... hey, that doesn't mean we can't have a flood!

Don't worry, I'll keep Al in check! He won't murder anyone, and he won't flood your inn. And hopefully he won't break any of Hamwill's bones. ;-)
Old 02-21-2011, 09:20 PM   #927
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55
Foley, does smashing furniture and plates count as breaking rules? *sounding hopeful* I mean, do you mind if Al gets overexcited? *extremely disappointed* I thought you would. No fights, no fires, keep the inn intact... hey, that doesn't mean we can't have a flood!

Don't worry, I'll keep Al in check! He won't murder anyone, and he won't flood your inn. And hopefully he won't break any of Hamwill's bones.
Since we're in the midst of rearranging the rules for RPG'ing - I'm going to say go ahead and wreak a little mayhem. Just remember that if there is a fight, it's fine to describe your character's own actions, but please let the other characters' writer(s) describe their character reactions, and any injuries they feel their character has sustained.

~*~ Pio, Forum Moderator
Old 02-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #928
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dűm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Yeah, so I'm back.......after a long unexplained absence

Sorry!

But I did manage to read all the new posts since the Inn restart and did post. Will try to be a little more present, I promise.
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 02-24-2011, 08:05 AM   #929
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Yay! Welcome back, Undome! I'm excited.

I am sorry about my relative absence....school has been insane.

-- Foley
Old 02-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #930
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Bom Tombadillo has just left Hobbiton.
Galadriel55: I know, my post just now was rather boring. Do with it what you will . . . My creativity is at a low lately. If you do want to start a fight, I won't object.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #931
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bom Tombadillo View Post
Galadriel55: I know, my post just now was rather boring. Do with it what you will . . . My creativity is at a low lately. If you do want to start a fight, I won't object.
The hilarious thing is that I see no provocation for a fight out of any of the posts thus yet made and yet you both are like, "Let's start a fight..." Start trying to be a bit more provocative, then a fight may be able to break out.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #932
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
The hilarious thing is that I see no provocation for a fight out of any of the posts thus yet made and yet you both are like, "Let's start a fight..."

I first mentioned the fight as a joke, because at that time my character was having a fit of fury, but people seem to have taken it literally. If you really want a fight, I'll try to make Al mad again...
Old 02-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #933
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

xMellrynxMaidenx has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post

I first mentioned the fight as a joke, because at that time my character was having a fit of fury, but people seem to have taken it literally. If you really want a fight, I'll try to make Al mad again...

Oh to see a hobbit in a brawl...
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."
Old 02-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #934
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post

I really have no preference. I was just saying that a little more heated behavior was going to be necessary than what is currently going on. Actually, it's fine if there's no fight. I imagine that for real, a fight wouldn't happen between those two, because Bom's character seems way too laid back and Al wouldn't really be that far reaching for a fight.

-- Foley
Old 02-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #935
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

I'll try and be less passive then - I do seem to have made Hamwill "too laid back," as you said.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #936
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bom Tombadillo View Post
I'll try and be less passive then - I do seem to have made Hamwill "too laid back," as you said.
If you want a fight, I'll make Al get less friendly once more.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #937
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Er...Not that I was trying to make you two fight or anything. I was just sayin'. No need to change characters.

-- Foley
Old 03-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #938
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Envinyatar, I am really sorry I haven't posted yet. I've been very busy and have had no creativity at all. I apologize. Right now, my brain is completely frozen and I can't write two words together for a post. Sorry.

-- Folwren
Old 03-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #939
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

No, no, nothing to do with the fight (aside from the fact that Foley's comment, which I quoted, was about it). I just seem to have worked myself into a corner.

Also, to echo Foley, I apologize (to you, Galadriel, not to Envinyawolf . . . wait, wrong forum.) Between forgetting about RPGs, and my computer going kablooey (I've been trying to sneak in posts from my iPad . . . fortunately the new one arrived today), I've been rather errant in posting.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #940
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Is the fight off? Not that I mind as such I just don't want to bring in Elin in the middle of it since she is looking for a safe haven. If it is going to kick off then I'll hang fire a little.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #941
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I don't think Al is in a mood for fighting right now, so it should be relatively safe to come in. I don't think he'll ever muster enough courage to try fight someone twice as tall as him... but maybe some time later he'll smash a dish or two.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #942
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Foley -

Tolly will just happily prop himself on the bar and down a few pints til you return
Old 03-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #943
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dűm

Mithalwen

I took the liberty of mentioning Annie's toy rabbit . . . let me know if I need to change anything
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 03-08-2011, 03:17 AM   #944
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undómë View Post
Mithalwen

I took the liberty of mentioning Annie's toy rabbit . . . let me know if I need to change anything
No, that is absolutely adorable. Though if you aren't careful you may find you have acquired a little shadow when she perks up a bit... which I don't think will be long

I hoped Annie would help interaction in the inn since small children can get away with starting up conversations with total strangers and poking around places they shouldn't perhaps be, so feel free to use her within reason.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 03-08-2011 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #945
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I've read all the posts up to this point, and since Rowan stepped in, I didn't interrupt. So, that means Undome will be taking care of the order. (I'm so glad you're back, Undome! I think I've said that, but just wanted to reiterate.) Mith, I mentioned your characters, but didn't really say anything that would change what's happened.

Envinyatar, Dick addressed Tolly again.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #946
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Thanks Foley, I would have offered to amend Elin's first post but you have made it work between you.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #947
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I have a feeling that Al's jaws are starting to lock up, with him staring into the same spot with a frozen expression on his face all this time. Everyone's conversations are way ahead of his and Hamwill's. If Bom won't post soon, I'm going to send Al to cause some mess in a different company.

PS: Mith, if he'll come near either one of your characters, I promise he'll be civil.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #948
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I'm sure Elin will cope as long as she has had a cup of tea...

Old 03-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #949
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I'm sure Elin will cope as long as she has had a cup of tea...
Thanks for the invitation (I'm supposed to take it as such, right?)! I'll come up with a way to disentangle Al from Hamwill in a couple of days, and he'll "play noble" with Elin and Annie.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:04 AM   #950
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Galadriel55

Tolly is in a mellow mood - why don't you have Al come up to the bar and join him in a mug of ale.

Does Al by any chance have any musical abilities - play an instrument, sing,....?
Old 03-09-2011, 06:24 AM   #951
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Thanks, Tolly! I mean, Envinyatar! Being a young hobbit, Al can probably sing, but I don't think he can actually play. But he can boast that he can, and then try to... iagine how that would go!

I'm going to post by tomorrow, and probably not join anybody yet.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:57 AM   #952
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well Galadriel, having looked at Al's bio, the suggestion reminded me of my trip to Dublin when having time to kill before the function I was attending, I went around some of the sights with an American student who was staying at the same place. She was debating between the two career paths of professional singer and some businees project and after a few hours punctuated by unsolicited bouts of her singing at me I was boundless in enthusiasm for the business venture. "But I think I have a gift for singing" she said oblivious of the fact that she sounded like she was strangling a cat.
It may not have entirely been her fault that the rest of the weekend with my friends was blighted by a migraine...

But to get back to the point it would work well if you talk to Tolly first since Annie will be ready for a nap after her toast but I am sure Al will have a chance to enlighten Elin as to the ways of the Shire very soon ..

Last edited by Mithalwen; 03-09-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #953
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
it would work well if you talk to Tolly first since Annie will be ready for a nap after her toast but I am sure Al will have a chance to enlighten Elin as to the ways of the Shire very soon ..
All right, I'll send Al to Tolly. For now he just accidentally created some physical mess at his own table. I'll move him over to Tolly after he cleans up.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #954
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dűm

Galadriel55

I've just give Al a reason to go to the bar where Tolly is. Hope it's ok with you!
Old 03-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #955
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undómë View Post
Galadriel55

I've just give Al a reason to go to the bar where Tolly is. Hope it's ok with you!
Aw, thanks! I'll make Al clean up first though (he wants to make a good *cough* impression on Elin and Annie)

By the way, I edited my last post because I just realised that it had drastic spelling mistakes (That turned "his vast was now splattered with beer" into "his vast was not splattered with beer". )!

Last edited by Galadriel55; 03-09-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #956
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Okies.. I must admit I got a bit intrigued about his fancy vest until I remembered it was a weskit...

Edit.
Oh dear I have made them seem a bit mean to him. They will be nice when they meet , promise... or I could edit. But I find a beer spattered hobbit too inherently funny. Though it is a sad waste of beer. Also I wrote the first hald yesterday and was too sleepy to finish, then had to adapt to the intervening posts.. can't turn your back for a moment now.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 03-10-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #957
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Okies.. I must admit I got a bit intrigued about his fancy vest until I remembered it was a weskit...
hehe... serves me right for not proofreading right away...

Quote:
Oh dear I have made them seem a bit mean to him. They will be nice when they meet , promise... or I could edit. But I find a beer spattered hobbit too inherently funny. Though it is a sad waste of beer. Also I wrote the first hald yesterday and was too sleepy to finish, then had to adapt to the intervening posts.. can't turn your back for a moment now.
Don't worry about it. I had a good laugh myself when I wrote the post, and even more when I read what Elin thought of him! He's such an adorable little jerk, isn't he?
Old 03-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #958
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

About what time of day is it - anyone care to hazard a guess? I had Tolly have bowl of beans and ham thinking it might be somewhere around lunchtime.

?????
Old 03-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #959
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I asked before I brought in Elin and in post 920 , Foley reckoned it was after 10 maybe time for elevenses early lunch. However Hamwill and Al had their spat and Iris and Rowan their heart to heart before my pair made their entrance and since then they have had second breakfast /elevenses and the meal has been prepared. So I think you are fine. Can't be much before noon at the earliest and I don't suppose that hobbits who have been up early and working hard go in for late lunches (unless it is a second helping)!

Old 03-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #960
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dűm

I officially declared it lunchtime in my post

pio

I placed Penny in the common room clearing a table at the moment. Let me know if I need to change anything