Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #961
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Gonna pop in with a new character since I have some time this week...I'll post on the Inn thread shortly. I am not going to try to figure out where everyone is so I apologize for being purposefully vague and if I make any glaring mistakes! Also hope the bio is okay... >_> Edit: Leaving it up to Pio and Undome which one of your Hobbit serving maids Reginald is addressing...or he could be addressing someone he thinks is a serving maid but really isn't....

Name: Reginald Smyth
Race: Man of Bree

Weapons: A good hunting knife

Appearance: Of fairly average height (about 5’6” or 7”), solid build, reddish-blonde hair kept short. Light on the facial hair, making him look maybe younger than he is. Brown eyes. He has creases at his eyes from laughter and squinting. Squints pretty often as he hasn’t the best eye sight. He has a handsome grin. He wears a light linen shirt (sometimes with a dark blue vest), dark grey pants, and dark brown boots. He has a brown cloak and a satchel.

Personality: When it comes to the rule of ‘fight or flight,’ Reginald will pretty much always choose flight. Who knows how well he might stand in an actual fight, but Reginald avoids confrontation and responsibility. He has his share of guilt, which usually encourages his flight rather than makes him stay. He is a well-tempered man; it takes a lot to anger him, and then his anger is usually expressed in more passive ways. He shuts down, rather than lashes out. He loves a good laugh, a good joke. He’s a light-weight of a drinker. Give him a drink or two and he’ll be talking and giggling for the rest of the night.

History: Reginald has recently started on a journey. So far he has only had the courage to travel into Shire lands rather than far to the east and south into the great lands such as Rohan and Gondor. His reason for journeying is fleeing from disgrace. He married on the cusp of 20 or so, at his parent’s bidding. After over 5 years of a barren marriage, his parents also convinced him to put aside his wife – something which, even if he had a firm enough backbone to refuse and endure his parents’ disapproval, he did not entirely object to because he had not been pleased with the marriage in the first place. Once separated, he managed to stall for a time a second marriage, only for his former wife to remarry and very quickly have a child with her new husband.

--------------------------------

Linked ~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 03-14-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:10 PM   #962
Rose
Haunting Spirit

Rose has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Granny Greenhill has come for a visit to the Perch. Can someone give her an assist with the danged door, please?

Old 03-15-2011, 05:13 AM   #963
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sure! Al'll do it. He has nothing to do anyways.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #964
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Wow, this place has been busy! I forgot to say I wasn't going to be much available over the weekend, but apparently that wasn't necessary.

Welcome back, Durelin and Rose! Glad to see you two playing again.

I don't know if I'll be able to post today, but I have read all the posts up to date.

-- Folwren
Old 03-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #965
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well, I helped Granny. Foley and Rose - I hope you don't mind that I used your characters. If you want me to change something in my post, I will.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #966
Rose
Haunting Spirit

Rose has just left Hobbiton.
I'm afraid Granny has tottered after Alferad and means to chat him up.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #967
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
It's all good, Galadriel.

-- Foley
Old 03-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #968
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Okay...

Al replied to Granny. My imagine is a bit down lately, so it's not that great. And whatever Al may think of Granny, it's his opinion, not mine.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #969
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Durelin

Tolly just sat down with Reginald
Old 03-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #970
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

All this activity in the inn is aboslutely wonderful! I'm so glad that everyone has posted. I am sitting down to write a post, too, at long last.

-- Folwren
Old 03-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #971
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Okay, I was mistaken. I can't post now. Later, folks.

-- Foley
Old 03-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #972
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I haven't posted anything for a while, because there's nothing really to post about. Al's just eating his food. It would be a waste of posts to talk for 2 paragrahs about how much he enjoyed the meal.

If you want interaction with him, feel free to start coversation, or tell me and I'll move Al over to your character.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #973
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

It's been long since anyone posted in the Inn, myself included. I hold RL to blame.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #974
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sorry I had a succession of RL annoyances and distractions and then Wight Fright took priority but I shall post in a few hours and get Elin at least back into circulation.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 04-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #975
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sorry Galadriel - late is better than never I hope.. Elin is back in the common room if anyone wants to talk to her ..

Old 04-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #976
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Sorry Galadriel - late is better than never I hope.. Elin is back in the common room if anyone wants to talk to her ..
Drats! Just as I'm going away! I won't have time to post a converaton now, but as soon as I come back (in about a week)...
Old 04-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #977
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Drats! Just as I'm going away! I won't have time to post a converaton now, but as soon as I come back (in about a week)...
Ahwell maybe when you get back

Old 04-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #978
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Bad news: my trip was delayed. Good news: because of that I had time to post on the Inn.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #979
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
If anyone is desiring interaction consider Reginald free! He's at a table, not in the middle of things, but he's not especially discreet since he's one of the Big Folk. (He's free that is unless of course Evinyatar pops back in to continue the conversation with Tolly.)
Old 04-26-2011, 06:09 AM   #980
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Galadriel - I posted for Elin but it has been swallowed by the ether (and it seems I am not alone!) I'll repost if it doesn't reappear.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #981
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

It didn't appear yet.

Some of my posts disappeared as well, but none from RPGs. I hope it will be fixed sometime soon. The sooner the better.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:19 AM   #982
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well I have redone it I don't think there are any material differences. Fingers crossed it sticks!

Old 04-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #983
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Thumbs up

Geez, that little stuck-up Al is really getting on my nerves. He's great, though, if only because he's such an irratating hobbit. I think what bugged me most was Elin trying to appease him. Elin's too sweet to be bullied by Al's over-sized ego. I'm loving it.

I'm excited you all are writing. Sorry I haven't been participating much. I am keeping an eye on things, though, as you might guess from this post.

-- Folwren
Old 04-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #984
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Elin is struggling on with Al. Not the most easygoing character that Elin has met (and considering that may include a young Denethor..

Old 04-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #985
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Geez, that little stuck-up Al is really getting on my nerves.
He kind of get on mine too, sometimes, but he's fun to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley
I think what bugged me most was Elin trying to appease him. Elin's too sweet to be bullied by Al's over-sized ego. I'm loving it.
Now how did the Perch turn into a McDonald's?

Al's ego is definitely oversized. It is sad and funny at the same time to read Elin's thoughts about him, if you don't mind me saying so.

Mith, if Al is bothering you, I can make him behave himself, or leave to get more food or something...
Old 04-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #986
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Don't worry it is quite an interesting challenge. I just think it is funny that Elin who has, in a relatively short life, mixed with a vast range of people living on a farm and a garrison as well as at the court of Dol Amroth and with the elves - and would aim to be as courteous to a dustman as to a duke, is being stretched socially to the limit by this bumptious hobbit. I don't think she would be one for strong liquor even if the hobbits distilled it but I suspect she may feel like a nice glass of wine more than tea!

Oh and it is always refreshing and interesting when someone plays an unsympathetic character. So Bravo!

Last edited by Mithalwen; 04-27-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #987
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

If you say so.

I'll have time to reply today evening, and I'm trying to think of where to lead the conversation. Talk about Buckland is ok but it doesn't lead anywhere. Any preferences about this?
Old 04-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #988
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I don't mind. Is he too self centred to ask her about herself or would he consider it good manners not too? He might tell her about his journey and his important relations. He is just a little younger than his (cousin?) Primula Brandybuck. If it already seemed likely she would marry Drogo there might be something that could bring mention of Bilbo's adventures though if that was felt not to be a good match for a Brandybuck he might not mention the scandal. The elephant in the room of course is the cook's disappearance but I am not sure we want torake all that up again. Anyway where you lead, I'll try to follow!

Old 04-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #989
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Okedokes...

I've left an opening for some interesting talk between Al and Elin.

He seems to be appeased . I didn't do it on purpose, honestly. When Al is too flattered to be nitpicky he's OK. Or when he can't find a cause to be picky about.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #990
blantyr
Wight

blantyr is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Leaf Goldie

Name : Known as Goldie Seasong in the Shire and Breeland, as Aerlinn Maltheniel in Lindon.

Age 39, Female, mixed Sindar / Sylvan ancestry, from Lindon near the Tower Hills.

Appearance : High and beautiful. Tall, fair of skin and dark-eyed, with the golden locks of the House of Finrod. Voice has more melodies than any mortal voice that is now heard.

Fashion : Tends to dress as much as a hobbit as an elf, practical, with a fondness for bright colors found in nature. Wears any color except grey. ("If I had shades of grey hair, like most everyone else in Lindon, and had shades of grey eyes, maybe I'd wear shades of grey clothes, but…")

Weapons : She carries a longbow and hunting knife, though both are fairly lightweight, suitable for her gender and hunting rather than for war. Her lute is generally much more ready at hand.

Awesome magical ability : Once claimed that if she sang in a forest glade, the flowers would tend to bloom more, and the birds would sing. Has not repeated this claim as she does not like to be laughed at.

Was once told that if she wants to develop a strong Voice, she should speak Truth always. Wants a strong Voice. Is too pretty to be stubborn, so she must be principled?

I'm currently playing a significantly older version of Aerlinn in a very martial campaign. This version is younger, less mature. I fear I was trying to create Aerlinn as a Tolkien female, which makes the adult version a bit too perfect. This isn't ideal for an Inn campaign where characters might want to throw a few sparks off one another, but this 'Goldie' hasn't got her act together yet, and I'd like a bit more of a chance to develop the character.

Images of an older Goldie

Linked (to Character/Player List) ~*~ Pio

Last edited by blantyr; 05-01-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #991
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I think your character will work alright in the inn, Blantyr. I look forward to seeing how she is developed.

-- Folwren
Old 04-30-2011, 06:52 PM   #992
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome to the inn, blantyr and Goldie!

I responded to your post, as well as Mithalwen's. Both of you can react to Al's reaction ( ) or ignore it.

Mith, I love your post! It sounds like Elin is walking on a verbal mine-field, and it's hilarious! :-D And you're absolutely right that Baranduin is the correct, and the original, name; however, how would Al know that?

And speking of him, he's not very bright, and it didn't click that Blackroot is not in the Shire, even though it's obvious that Elin does not live nearabouts. This should throw in some interesting reactions - he's asking Elin for what she avoids telling.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:35 AM   #993
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I was just rereading more closely the Character Bios for the recent Elven characters.

Please remember that all Elves in Barrow-Downs RPG's need to reflect the description Tolkien gave for his Elves:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Post #19 of this thread

Return of the King – "Appendix F": Tolkien’s description for the Quendi (The Speakers) – the name given to the Elves by themselves after they first awoke in Middle-earth.

“They were a race high and beautiful, the older Children of the world, and among them the Eldar were as Kings, who now are gone: the People of the Great Journey, the People of the Stars. They were tall, fair of skin and grey-eyed, though their locks were dark, save in the golden house of Finrod; and their voices had more melodies than any mortal voice that is now heard.....”
Information links for guidelines to posting in The Golden Perch Inn can be found in Post #2 of this thread.

Please edit your posts in this thread or in The Golden Perch Inn thread to reflect Tolkien's description of Elven eye coloration.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio - RPG Forum Moderator

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-01-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #994
blantyr
Wight

blantyr is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ah, well. Maltheniel originally got green eyes as this was suggested by the Ambar Qenta role playing rules. Blue and green were supposed to be the most common colors among the Silvan. I asked the author of the rules where he got this from, and he replied the Middle Earth Role Playing (MERPs) variation of GURPs. Obviously, not canon. A token attempt to find a canon reference failed. I've no idea where MERPs got it from. Anyway, while she's visiting here, her eyes can be 'dark.'

Her unusual coloring does effect her personality. She is unusual enough among the Lindon elves that she became a bit of an outsider and rebel. This is deliberate. I wanted a few things in her background that justified a female elf mingling with other races.

Ironically, I originally put her birthplace in the Tower Hills as I wanted her personality influenced somewhat by hobbit culture. I proposed that she occasionally wandered into Westfarthing, and sang in various inns there. Alas, it was not to be. The game master forbade it. Elves in Shire inns are not canon.

Anyway, she's been in play with green eyes since late 2008, but I have no trouble tweaking it while she's in this realm.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #995
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Apologies about my silence; I've been very busy the past few days. I've read all the posts up till now, and I'll respond tomorrow.

The men and hobbits at the inn aren't getting a good impression of Elves, I see.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:50 AM   #996
Gaurcrist
Animated Skeleton

Gaurcrist has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Hey guys! Haven't been here in a while.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #997
Gaurcrist
Animated Skeleton

Gaurcrist has just left Hobbiton.
So I'm not quite sure on the rules of this game. How do I create a character? What can I do with it? Sorry for all the questions.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #998
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Silmaril

Welcome back, Gaurcrist! (Yes, I remember you.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurcrist View Post
So I'm not quite sure on the rules of this game. How do I create a character? What can I do with it? Sorry for all the questions.
You might want to have a look at this handy character creation form. Hope it helps!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #999
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Gaurcrist

Welcome to the RP forum of the Downs!!

Please read through the Information Links for this Inn thread - HERE.

You'll find links there to the types of characters allowed in the Inn, where and when the Inn is, and the link to the actual Character Bio form for the RPG forum.

Also, take a look through the Barrow-Downs RPG Guidelines (in Roleplaying Rules and Resources section of this forum) - HERE - so that you're familiar with the general rules for RP'ing on the Barrow-Downs.

The Innkeeper for The Golden Perch is Folwren - feel free to contact her for any questions you might still have about playing in the inn.

Or contact me . . .

~*~ Pio (piosenniel, RPG Forum Moderator)
Old 05-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #1000
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Hi, Glaurcrist! I noticed your return on another thread somewhere. I'm glad you decided to drop by the RP forums! I'm sorry I'm slow on the uptake of answering your posts, though. Looks like Pio and Nerwen have taken care of your questions.

As Pio said, you are more than welcome to contact me with any questions you have.

-- Folwren