User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 04:02 AM   #1041
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Sounds like you all are concerned about what was happening in posts last year. Maybe I should hold off until if/when its all sorted?
Old 05-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #1042
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Only for purely selfish reasons that if there is a big time jump I would need a new character or work out why mine is still there. If I were playing a local rather than a traveller it wouldn't be an issue for me. I don't expect others to be bothered about that and the fact is actually not a lot is happening.

So not major concern. I was merely going to check and post a reminder of where we left off to help Foley decide if another time shift were necessary to give a clear start. From what I recall it isn't needed beyond a hour or so to allow conversations that some of us have trapped ourselves in to be assumed to have concluded "off screen" if their interlocutors choose not to return.

I also thought it might be helpful to remind ourselves of the historical context. I realise I am more obsessive about that sort of thing than most but since it is a pre- War of the Ring situation it is a bit disconcerting if characters turn up who are the envoys of King Elessar, which happened before the last time shift.
So I was only trying to be helpful not to cramp your style....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 05-15-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #1043
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Historical context

The date at the point posting stopped at the Inn was 2nd November 1356 shire reckoning so 2956 TA.

Rulers in the mortal realms are:

Shire - Fortinbras II is Took and Thain (cousin rather than direct ancestor of Pippin).

Gorbadoc "Broadbelt", great grandfather of Merry is Master of Buckland.

Dain is King under the Mountain

Bard is Lord of Dale (rebuilt).

Ecethelion II succeeded his father Turgon as Steward of Gondor 3 years ago

Thengel father of Theoden is the new King of Rohan,

Angelimir grandfather of Imrahil is Prince of Dol Amroth.

Denethor is a young man of 26. Finduilas his future wife is 6 and her brother Imrahil a year old baby. Theoden is a lad of 8. Aragorn is 25 and has been travelling in the wild for 5 years knowing his true identity and having met Arwen. This is the year he meets Gandalf. He has not yet been in the service of Thengel or Ecthelion.

It is 15 years since the Quest of Erebor and 7 since Gandalf and Balin paid their visit to Bilbo. Frodo and the younger hobbits have not yet been born. Gimli is 77.

The White Council met for the last time three years ago and Saruman has fortified Isengard. He has started to spy on Gandalf.

Sauron has returned to Mordor and is gathering strength. It is about 2 years since Mount Doom burst into flame again and Ithilien was abandoned,

Old 05-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #1044
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Inn context.

Not sure that any is needed beyond the Inn descriptions and list of staff posted at the begining of the thread save to note that it was the afternoon lull and that Iris (replacement cook) and Penny her young cousin had only started work at the inn that day. The cook's disappearance six months ago has for the time being been left as a bit of a mystery (I summarised the situation pre time slip here http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...&postcount=822) .

I don't think there is anything to stop you diving in or that you particularly need to know, there isn't a fight or a party.. So if Foley is agreable I suggest we can just carry on?

Old 05-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #1045
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
We could carry on, or we could skip a few hours, or even a few days. I guess it depends on whether we want the same characters, more or less, or different ones. I'm ok with whatever decision is made.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #1046
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yeah. Diving straight in is fine. It shouldn't mess anything up, as Mith says, and I am totally trusting her judgement. I will have time to actually look at some of this myself tomorrow, in about 12 hours. But by all means, don't hold back - come on in!

-- Folwren
Old 05-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #1047
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Eeek! The responsibility!! But seriously I can't see that a major time change is necessary though always an option. I would prefer that it was minimal since I would like to keep writing Elin but equally Galadriel, I don't see why you shouldn't change if you have had enough of Al.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:18 AM   #1048
Snowdog

1420!

Afternoon lull on 2 November SR-1356/TA 2956. Got it. Since it's an inn in Stock, East Farthing, someone arriving would be a common happening. I think I'll give it a go after I read through again and see if I can figure out who the proprietor and bar-staff is. I could assume they are NCEs but will give it another read-through.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:52 AM   #1049
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...75&postcount=2

This gives you the links you need. However as I mentioned, they have been supplemented by Iris and Penny just today. Iris is cooking and Penny serving/ generally helping IIRC. However until we see who else comes back, the landlord Seredic Boffin played by Foley may be your best bet for interaction. Bit depends if your character is a regular or new in town of course...

Old 05-16-2012, 05:27 AM   #1050
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
IIRC Al isn't doing much at the moment, so he's open for interaction, but I've got to check. (And I haven't got enough of him yet!)

I'll try to read up on everything later today.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:26 AM   #1051
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I suspect Al is often in need fresh meat...

Old 05-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #1052
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I suspect Al is often in need fresh meat...
He probably forgot his first quarrels by now... Or I'll just pretend that he forgot and start them over.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #1053
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Suffice to say, today didn't turn out quite like I expected it to. I am twelve hours late in posting. Sorry about that.

I finally looked at the game thread. I was absolutely shocked to see how much activity there was at the end there! Pity it died out. I feel pretty caught up on the mood now.

I have taken into account time for Elin's nap and the lunch hour has pretty much passed and most of the people left (I figure that'd be safest, as most of the players from that time are probably not still around - that was, what, a year ago?). I think we may assume that Elin just went into the kitchen with her sick daughter, per Mith's last post.

Galadriel, Dick has just gone to talk to Al.

Snowdog, you may enter when you see so desire and in whatever way you choose. I look forward to it.

Mith, of course you are welcome to do whatever. I will play whatever character needed to keep you occupied.

-- Folwren
Old 05-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #1054
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dűm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
So, "Cook" - you can come back into the kitchen if you wish. Heaven only knows what you're doing out in the garden.

Maybe talking to Elin about the sad state of the much neglected Inn garden? If Annie shouldn't be out in the coal we could always find her in the pantry with her Isildur sleeping in the big basket of soft, clean cleaning cloths. Or maybe awake making friends with the old plump grey tabby that often uses the basket as a bed....
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 05-17-2012, 12:56 AM   #1055
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thanks for the "invite", Undómë!

Mith - do you want to be out talking to Cook? Seeing what's left of the sad little herb section of the garden? If so, feel free to post first.

Or worse comes to worse, Cook can just be out there talking to herself and commiserating with the cabbages on how they've been neglected...
Old 05-17-2012, 04:14 AM   #1056
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh I think Elin will be in the garden but Annie shouldn't be not with only a shawl over her dress and slippers and her cold and all. But I happen to know she is particularly fond of cats so awake or asleep she is unlikely to be very much trouble - though you are welcome to use her if it suits.

Splendid I'll just mug up my winter planting and post unless Pio beats me to it. I was thinking that I should have to return to the bar to swell the chorus but since Gally and Foley are there to entertain Snowdog andPio and Undome are back I shall let Elin enjoy some congenial feminine company after her trials with Al!

Last edited by Mithalwen; 05-17-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #1057
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Excellent. Looks like we might have a good gathering after all!

Sadly, I will be taking off tomorrow afternoon and plunging into a crazy several days. I do not know when I will be back on.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #1058
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I think we all have a bit of a crazy time now, Foley. Don't rush it. I promise not to burn down the inn in your absence.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #1059
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

You'd better not!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #1060
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Snowdog, what race is your character? Have you written a character bio for him? I didn't see t linked in Pio's post at the beginning of the thread. If you haven't, could you jot one up for us please? I don't mind if you keep posting in the inn in the mean time.

I am going to write under the impression that he's a man, but if I'm wrong, I can edit my post accordingly.

-- Folwren
Old 05-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #1061
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Galadriel, I don't like leaving your character sitting all by himself. Feel free to have him follow Dick over and join in the conversation.

-- Foley
Old 05-18-2012, 05:24 AM   #1062
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Galadriel, I don't like leaving your character sitting all by himself. Feel free to have him follow Dick over and join in the conversation.

-- Foley
Oh, don't worry about it. That's a good pretext to make him grumpy again. And go start looking for trouble.

I'll try to post later today but I'm not making any promises.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #1063
Snowdog

Pipe

Quote:
Snowdog, what race is your character? Have you written a character bio for him? I didn't see t linked in Pio's post at the beginning of the thread. If you haven't, could you jot one up for us please? I don't mind if you keep posting in the inn in the mean time.

I am going to write under the impression that he's a man, but if I'm wrong, I can edit my post accordingly.

-- Folwren

Really??? Hmm... Darrell Largebarrel, brewer from the outskirts of Oatbarton, the oats, barley, and hops growing region of the North Farthing, Shire, in the year 1356 Shire Reckoning or 2956 Third Age. I just spontaneously created him out of my head when I posted. I assumed there were only hobbits living in the shire at the time so didn't think that would need to be stated in a bio. My apologies.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #1064
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

"Name:

Age/gender/race/where from:

Appearance (very brief physical description/or as detailed as the player wishes to be):

Bits of character/history you feel might be helpful in defining the character
(again, as brief or detailed as you wish):"

While I assumed that Darrell was a hobbit from the circumstantial evidence the "new" short character bios accept the logic that while you don't look at a new arrival in a bar and know their life history you will have the evidence of your own eyes and be able to discern if they are old, young, dark fair or grizzled... whatever also if it is someone they recognise. Someone playing the local miller should recognise the baker and 2 rangers are unlikely to be strangers. It just gives a starting point for others to interract with your character and when linked an easy ref for newcomers.

So really the only new info is an indication of age and anyother distinguishing features.

I look forward to seeing how Darrell's wares compare to what is reputed to be the finestbeer in the East farthing...or maybe he is the reason that the Perch had that reputation fifty years later!!! Being fond of the occasional drop of Real Ale myself I have sometimes wondered about brewing in ME... the PrancingPony if the song is to be believed is a micro brewery but in the largers Shire market....

Old 05-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #1065
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Thank you, Mith, for posting the form.

Snowdog, I will edit my post to reflect your character's true identity.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #1066
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dűm

Just a short note - will be on to post later this evening for me
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 05-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #1067
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Okay, I posted, but it's the last post you'll see from me for possibly a looooong time. And I'm not exagerating.

Galadriel (and others), I'm trusting you won't leave Snowdog all bored and alone after I go.

Use Seredic as necessary, everybody. Don't have him do anything out of character.

Snowdog, please remove your signature when you post on the game.

No burning down the inn while I'm gone!!!

-- Folwren
Old 05-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #1068
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Fare well then wherever you fare and the sooner you return the happier we will be...but have fun in the meantime.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #1069
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

*lights match*

*blows it out*

Just kidding!

Snowdog, would you mind if Al joined the conversation? If yes, would you rather reply to Dick before he interludes, or should I have him come up now?

And if no Al will just have to go plague another character, or go brood in the corner again (which is also an option I'm considering fondly; I think I'll have him nice and drunk before the next meal. Well, I'll have him drunk by that time whatever interaction he engages in, either way. I've never written anything for a drunk person, and I'm curious about what crazy things I'd write ).
Old 05-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #1070
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dűm

"Best laid plans of mice and men...."

Far too long a day, too many things to do and not enough hours. Will definitely be on tomorrow to put a post up where Prim and Rowan spy the happily occupied Annie in the pantry.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #1071
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Her mama will wait on tenterhooks to find out what she is up to!!! Hopefully not actually burning down the inn or Foley will be cross...

Old 05-20-2012, 07:19 AM   #1072
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Aww too adorable... and very lucky not to get scratched too... Hmm I was going to wait for Pio but I might post just for Annie in the interim...

Old 05-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #1073
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Well, I posted. Snowdog, if you'd rather answer Dick before being interrupted, I can edit my post to let that reply in.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #1074
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I haven't read any new posts on the inn yet. I'm just popping in very briefly for like two minutes before going to bed, and then, again, I am likely not going to be posting for some time. Not sure how long...

Anyway, I wanted to say - Snowdog, would you mind filling out the character bio form so that Pio can link your character to the character list on page one of the discussion thread? Use this form, please:

Quote:
Name:

Age/gender/race/where from:

Appearance (very brief physical description/or as detailed as the player wishes to be):

Bits of character/history you feel might be helpful in defining the character
(again, as brief or detailed as you wish):
Also, as a general reminder, when you post on any RP Game threads, please do not use any emoticons and remove signatures from ALL posts. In order to remove a signature from an already posted post, hit edit, and then click on the option to edit with more details. Scroll down below the post to the check mark of 'show signature' and undue the check.

Have fun, guys.

And Galadriel...you should know better than to play with matches.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #1075
Snowdog

Pipe

Quote:
Anyway, I wanted to say - Snowdog, would you mind filling out the character bio form so that Pio can link your character to the character list on page one of the discussion thread? Use this form, please:
Gee... I thought this was supposed to be fun interaction at an Inn, not a full-blown RP.

No worries, I'll fix it up in a bit.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:47 AM   #1076
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh come on... it just give us a starting point Besides you are going to have to deal with the pixilated Al who looks to be a stroppy drunk. That should be a bit of fun interaction to get your teeth into. Seems Galadriel is spoiling for a fight since she ain't allowed to burn the place down...

Old 05-22-2012, 05:26 AM   #1077
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Oh come on... it just give us a starting point Besides you are going to have to deal with the pixilated Al who looks to be a stroppy drunk. That should be a bit of fun interaction to get your teeth into. Seems Galadriel is spoiling for a fight since she ain't allowed to burn the place down...
Well, since you're on the topic of fighting... I've "created" Al so that he could have a fight with another meanie... was it Ibin? Something like that. But I was having so much fun without it that they never got into a quarrel. He's spoiling for a fight every time he opens his mouth.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #1078
Snowdog

Pipe

Darrell Largebarrel is a middle-aged hobbit from near Oatbarton in the Shire's North Farthing. He has a farm where he grows barley and hops which he uses to brew his ales. The work keeps him a bit muscular, and the sampling of his creations has him a bit rotund. His shaggy brown hair about his head and feet appears extra thick even as far as hobbits go, and is likely due to his long hours into the chill nights of the north. He dresses clean when he goes out, and enjoyes his food, as most hobbits do. A rather jolly fellow who is quick to share a smoke, a tele, and a brew in good company.

(There ya go. I'll try and get a post up shortly)

---------------
Linked ~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-26-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:59 AM   #1079
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

OK I have posted for Annie - she is having "a moment".. forgive her... I don't think she is a complete brat but she isn't well and is feeling rather unsettled. I have tried to leave scope for Pio to post for Iris if she wishes before Elin comes in no doubt for a bit of a guilt trip

Old 08-05-2012, 05:43 AM   #1080
Snowdog

Pipe

Sorry I let this go so long. Couldn't get into the feel of the story. Don't think I'll be able to write too well collaboratively here so I wrote myself out.