The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-22-2009, 12:00 AM   #1
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420! T-I-G LVI: Panic at the Prancing Pony

In the year 3018, September 29th, strange things began to happen in Bree. For a while there had been odd tidings coming into the village, but that evening a foul wind swept through the streets. The Prancing Pony was alive with its usual nightly activities. A Mr. Underhill came into the inn and his presence put the innkeeper at unrest. Old Barliman felt it was time perhaps to go into hiding. While Butterbur disguised himself, one of the rangers of the north returned after a long absence. He too took to a disguise in order to blend in better with the crowd. This was no time to call attention to oneself. There was no telling who else was watching.

The night was tense, but by morning it seemed as though whatever evil had been present was now gone. As the sun rose the people of Bree headed about their usual morning routines. Brinniel was getting ready to open her pie shop, while Rune attempted to peddle his brie to passersby. Rikae was humming to herself while Macalaure scowled. Nerwen was hard at work making her special brew and Mirandir tended his hogs. The strange night was but a dream now...or perhaps a nightmare.

A shriek could be heard echoing throughout Bree. “Sounds like it came from the Prancing Pony!” Thinlómien exclaimed. A band of worried villages rushed toward the inn. Lariren, the friendly tavern wench was waving her arms and screaming.

“Something's hanging on the Pony's sign.” Legate said as the crowd drew closer.

Sure enough something was dangling from the inn's sign. Or more specifically someone was dangling from the sign. Kitanna had been a maid at the Prancing Pony for a number of years and now it looked as though her disembodied head was the new decoration. Gollum went forward to investigate while Aganzir comforted Lariren.

“I'd say she was done in by a sword.” Being the weapons expert he had the most authority on the subject. A piece of Kit's spinal cord that had been barely attached dropped down and hit Gollum on the shoulder.

“Who would do such a thing?” Fea asked, looking around, trying to pinpoint the maid's murder.

“Bandits, maybe. The stars said nothing of disaster coming to Bree.” Shastanis assumed the stars were always right. And while the stars said nothing about tragedy he had completely ignored the fact the moon had been blood red for two nights.

“This is too gruesome, even for bandits.” Beregond said as another piece of Kitanna fell from the head.

Meneltarmacil stumbled through the crowd, smelling of something rather foul. “I shay thish be the work of sometshing more shinsiter.” He slurred.

“It's barely past daybreak and the fool is already drunk!” Nogrod growled. “Big help you're going to be, sauced as you are.”

Durelin threw back her hood dramatically. “I've heard rumors of evil rising in the south. The drunken fool may be on to something. Something wicked grows in Mordor, perhaps the Nine are abroad again.”

A Little Green gasped. “You can't be serious. I thought those were but stories!”

Sally looked closely at the head of the former maid. “She has something in her mouth.”

A few villages went to get a ladder. Macalaure was elected to go and retrieve whatever had been put in Kitanna's mouth. It was small slip of paper. “We have come to lay waste to your village and reclaim what rightfully belongs to the Lord Sauron.”

“Ringwraiths!” Meneltarmacil proclaimed before tripping over his feet.

As the note was read the ringbearer reached for the Ring to make sure it was still safe. The innkeeper and the Dúnadan ranger silently investigated the crowd.

Living
satansaloser2005 - Hobbit cute hobo
Feanor of the Peredhil - Big person gardener with a renowned belladonna plot
Lariren Shadow - Big person tavern wench
Mirandir - Big person hog farmer
Shastanis Althreduin - Big person con artist with a hobby of astrology
Thinlómien Mugwort - Hobbit nosy young lass
Legate of Amon Lanc - Hobbit herring dealer
Rikae "Bertha" Broadbottle - Hobbit
Aganzir - Big person tanner
Gollum the Great - Big person traveling weapons designer
Nogrod "Shenanigan" Kneejerk - Hobbit dealer of Old Toby
Beregond - Big person smith
Nerwen - Hobbit local brewery owner
Rune Son of Bjarne - Hobbit brie salesman
Macalaure "Barney" Broadbottle Jr. - Big person Smith who detests all music
Meneltarmacil - Big person crazy drunk ex-ranger
Durelin - Big person dark, mysterious, hooded and cloaked figure
A Little Green - Big person ex-bear-tamer
Brinniel - Hobbit pie maker

Dead
Kitanna – Made an example of Night 1

Note: The genders expressed in the narration for the three gifted roles are not to be taken as hints.

Day 1 has begun
Old 01-22-2009, 12:08 AM   #2
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
First a business failure and now I'm faced with being murdered. Great. Well, all I can say is that whoever tries to kill me in my sleep will find me with a suply of weapons behind me. Break my sword and I pick up my axe. Woe be to the wraith who crosses with me!
Old 01-22-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

*Notices something*

A ranger in our midst! Meneltarmacil, I have Gandalf-enhanced Dunedain blades in stock! Say the word and you can have one half-price!
Old 01-22-2009, 12:14 AM   #4
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well, clearly our top suspects are Lari and Gollum; she found the body and he is our resident weapons expert.

Of course I couldn't have done it. *bats eyelashes* I'm far too lazy to exert enough effort to kill someone in that manner, and I'm definitely too short to have hung her head on the sign.

Besides, I'm far too adorable to be a wraith. Now who wants to buy me some ale? Legate? Shasta? *pouts* Oh, where's Phantom when you need him?
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:17 AM   #5
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Now who wants to buy me some ale?
Me! Me!

*Swigs beer*
Old 01-22-2009, 12:20 AM   #6
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum the Great View Post
Me! Me!

*Swigs beer*
Well, if you insist. Lari, you heard the man. He'd like to buy me a drink.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:22 AM   #7
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Well, if you insist. Lari, you heard the man. He'd like to buy me a drink.
Oh my gosh! I thought you meant: who wants to buy himself a drink. Hahaha! I'll buy you one anyway, though.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:00 AM   #8
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ding ding! Day 1 has ended. Expect Gollum's death soon.