The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #4361
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Steve, you can add me to the list of players.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #4362
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
It's not good form to begin recruitment to a game while one is still in progress.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:42 AM   #4363
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil View Post
It's not good form to begin recruitment to a game while one is still in progress.
I was more hoping for someone to say whether this time of year was a hot-spot or not for people rather than recruitment. Of course, it's nice to have some enthusiasm. But sorry anyway. I'll just go and plan my game...

Last edited by Eönwë; 08-17-2009 at 06:03 AM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:38 AM   #4364
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
So Eonwe's up next then?
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:50 AM   #4365
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
So Eonwe's up next then?
I think so.

Last edited by Eönwë; 08-24-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:41 AM   #4366
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Roll up, roll up! The Admin Thread is up and running!

Last edited by Eönwë; 08-25-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:17 PM   #4367
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lariren Shadow is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Lariren Shadow Send a message via MSN to Lariren Shadow
Alona and I would like to mod a game. We would prefer if it was around New Year's time, if possible...
Old 08-29-2009, 12:48 PM   #4368
alonariel
Wight

alonariel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to alonariel Send a message via MSN to alonariel Send a message via Skype™ to alonariel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariren Shadow View Post
Alona and I would like to mod a game. We would prefer if it was around New Year's time, if possible...
In the game we would be modding, I would be the official mod and Lari would be the co-mod since she recently modded a game with Mira herself.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:32 AM   #4369
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naria View Post
The list:

Eonwe
Nog
McCaber
Mirandir

Tentative:

Legate
Gwath
Okay, this is the last list I found and since that there have been games by Boro and Eönwë. So it looks like it would be my turn then.

As I've probably said already earlier, I have in mind a ranger-game. What I'm wishing is to come up with a concept that allows everyone (or almost everyone) something unique to do thus enhancing their involvement without making it too complicated. Stress on the latter point.

The things I can be quite positive about at this point are: there will be no seer but a host of different rangers and hunters - and something to balance it for the bad side.

And whatever the rules will be, they all will be known beforehand eg. no surprises to be met on the way - and all the roles will be revealed on death.

I'll try to come up with something more concrete already later today...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #4370
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
*sees Nog's post, drools*
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #4371
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
uh.....Nog, your game sounds so cool....I wants it so bad, haha, but I'm so busy...ahhh...will have to wait and see your admin thread and decided then....
Old 09-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #4372
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nog, your game does sound awesome. The only thing that will stop me from playing is if the deadline is at a bad time for me.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #4373
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Nog, that sounds very appetizing... Unfortunately, my wife has been complaining about my unavailability during WW games, and I've promised her I'd play one more game at most and then take a break. As I've already thrown in my hat for McCaber's, I feel kinda conscience bound to skip yours...
I know I'll regret this decision once I see your admin thread, but'll still be fun to watch. Enjoy yourselves, everybody!
Old 09-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #4374
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Unfortunately, my wife has been complaining about my unavailability during WW games
Heh... I can understand...

It would have been great fun to have you around though.

Okay, then to matters concerning the game. I have been entertaining myself with two different kind of games and would now like to hear your views on them.

Initially - like a few years ago - I already thought of a game which would basically be a match between rangers and wolves. It has slowly evolved into a game with a bunch of different hunters (double-edged swords if any) and a few rangers with some neat twists (like veterans who hold together eg. kind of "lovers" ww-wise, choosing a captain for the gang who would have some real power, "night-guards" outside the camp who could PM during the Night etc...). Like lots of things happening while sticking more or less to a basic ww-game and trying to keep it as simple as possible mechanics-wise.

Then lately I got a revised idea which would not have any special roles as such (except the wolves of course) but the players would need to decide who they will look after during the Night if something was to happen - and if the worst came about they'd endanger their own necks as well as it would then be a Night-fight the outcome of which could be anything; like only someone who was defending the Night-target dies...

I kind of like the latter idea but am a bit insecure right now how it would work and how it would work evenly to both sides.

But what say you? Which one would sound more interesting? I think both can be turned into a good and fairly balanced game. I am myself slightly in favour of the first and older idea at the moment but if you all want to play the latter I'll produce that.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:27 PM   #4375
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Both look to be quite intriguing!
In the latter proposal, do you mean something along the lines of Eönwë's recent Night Guard game, with a twist or two?
Old 09-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #4376
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
In the latter proposal, do you mean something along the lines of Eönwë's recent Night Guard game, with a twist or two?
Well actually not... I mean if the whole Night-kill system goes a-new it should be twist enough...

Okay, I think I haven't explained my rough first ideas about it.

So on the latter proposal the Night would be played out in something like the following:

Every villager PM's me the person they are going to watch after. The wolves decide who they're attacking and in which combinations (= four wolves could go for 2&2 or 3&1 against two victims - or all four for separate targets but that should be made risky indeed). Then it is executed.

Let's say the wolves go 2&2; wolves A & B attack villager S and wolves C & D attack villager T.

The victim of A & B is unprotected so they get their kill nice and clean.

But T on the contrary is guarded by two innocents X & Y. Now that means a fight between C&D vs. X&Y. Then depending on the exact system and balance-issues (to be solved before the game begins) it would be something like two wolves fighting two innocents with a chance of the protected innocent getting killed.

It would be pretty straightforward to say that if the numbers of attackers & defenders are even the fight is even and whichever could die - but the wolves should have an edge at least in what comes to killing the primary target.

If the wolves have the upper hand in numbers it's clear they get their victim but have a nice chance of making a double kill. If the wolves are outnumbered they'll be lucky to get out of the fight alive. And so on...

The problem is to issue balanced rules for those Nightly-fights.

And that makes the first proposal easier to execute... But I'm ready to try for either version.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #4377
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Ah. I see. I do like that premise, but I'd agree that the rules regarding the fights might be somewhat problematic for you to iron out. I know they would be for me.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #4378
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
Sounds fascinating Nog... I was just thinking that you might be able to have the kills based a little bit like attack points. I'm not sure if that is the right term but say there are players A B C D E F G H I J. Highlighted players are wolves. They go 1/2 and 1/2 to kill. AB kill E no problem as they weren't voted for. CD attack F. HIJ have all voted for F so then F has 3 points, AB voted for CD so now CD have 2 points and F has 3 so F wins... Or you could do all sorts of combinations with points: cumulative of all votes received or just votes for one night... the wolves would get stronger based on how many people voted for them as would the protectors... maybe people get stronger weights... soo many possibilities...

Are you thinking something like that? or have I just confused everyone more? You would need some major charts for this one...
Old 09-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #4379
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
Are you thinking something like that? or have I just confused everyone more? You would need some major charts for this one...
You're quite right about it.

But I have been giving this some thought and decided that unless you don't make a mighty protest-movement I'm going with the first option eg. the more basic game.

First of all because it's more manageable and secondly because I think it would actually be more fun with the roles and slight player-activating details I have in mind and which can't be used in that latter game...

I'll put up an admin. thread where you can join the game and discuss the rules (and protest if you'd like to see this "latter option" instead as that is an option still).

I'd like to have about 20 players but we can play with 15 as well. And as we need to get the rules straightened out as well, I think we might start within a week or something like that.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #4380
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I am still going to post my idea even though Nienna's is better in my opinion.

When it comes to the villagers fighting it goes by their profession. I am assuming that we will each have to pick a role in the village like we did in Eonwe's game. Say it comes down to a fight between two wolves and two villagers. Say one of the villagers is a blacksmith and the other a village fool. In this case the blacksmith would have more experience fighting than the village fool. Therefore in this case the blacksmith would have equal fighting skills to the wolves but the villager fool would not. That would make it so it is somewhat better balanced in my opinion.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #4381
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Let me show you what I have in mind for the "version one" and let's discuss the decision then.

Yes Hakon, I share the excitement with that "totally different" game - and all the RPG or table-roleplay twists it would have, but it would actually require a lot of testing as to the balance issues...

But let's see. Wait an hour or something so that I can outline my game-idea in the admin. thread.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #4382
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
With no seer in the game, you can pretty much count me as in. I'll let you know for sure once I see the finished premise/rules.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:03 AM   #4383
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

If someone hasn't noticed, there is an admin. thread open for the next WW-game.

T-I-G LXVII: The Rangers of the North - The Fell Winter

The sign-up is on. We'll start hopefully on Sunday or something like that. Make sure you don't miss it!
Old 09-29-2009, 10:11 PM   #4384
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Thanks for the great game, Nogrod. I keep trying to rep you, but guess it's too soon since the last rep, because it won't let me.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:32 PM   #4385
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Narya

OK so we have

Legate
Gwath
Sally

alonariel since you wish your game to be not until around the New Year I am putting you on the tentative list. So your interest doesn't get lost between now and then.

Tentative:
alonariel (New Year)

Room for two more modgods

Last edited by Naria; 10-26-2009 at 02:05 AM.
Naria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:15 AM   #4386
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Put me back on the list.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:45 AM   #4387
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Does anyone know when McCaber's game is going to start. I know someone who wants to try out werewolf.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #4388
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm clear to mod again around now, but I dont' want to butt in too much. However, if I could do one in late November, or even early to mid-December (so that it's sure to be over before the New Years Epicness and such) that would be fabulous.

Aka if no one minds put me on the list please.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #4389
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
*wonders how ww would go if 1/2 the active players were all in the same small apartment*

*evil grin*

I'd also like to know where McCaber is as I'm so very addicted to WW.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #4390
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
*wonders how ww would go if 1/2 the active players were all in the same small apartment*
Probably about the same as when Brinn was visiting in the cottage.

And it would be awesome if McCaber showed up soon since my notebook is currently residing in Connecticut and won't be making it's way up to me until next weekend.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #4391
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well, I'm here. Give me the rest of the weekend to finalize rules, and I'll open the admin thread Monday morning.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #4392
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
Well, I'm here. Give me the rest of the weekend to finalize rules, and I'll open the admin thread Monday morning.
*salivates*
Old 10-03-2009, 05:54 PM   #4393
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I would like to mod a game sometime but I feel I do not have enough experience now so if any of you are looking for a co-mod I would gladly take the position.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:22 PM   #4394
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

*swats Pitch away* Down boy, down.

Cabbie, unless you've got the most amazing game idea ever I'm sitting out. I need some 'Sally gets her sanity back' time. But you know what a sucker I am, so....
Old 10-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #4395
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Where do I sign up for a game? haven't played before...
Old 10-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #4396
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
Since Cabbie is using an admin thread, presumably there. Just wait till it shows up and then post.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #4397
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
Just wait for the McCobbler (Cabbie, that is) to put up his Admin thread and you can sign up there. Or he'll just see your post here and stick you on the player list. And welcome to the dark side of the Downs, Morsul. (Hmmmm....maybe I should have said something besides dark, but meh.)

EDIT: x'd with a wench
Old 10-05-2009, 04:14 AM   #4398
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naria View Post
I am taking Legate and Gwath off of the tentative list. If they pop their heads in showing interest again I will certainly put their names back on the list
Hm, actually, I was just thinking about that subject, I would actually like to be put back to the list, and "properly" now.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #4399
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ok, so I had a great post typed up, but I refreshed at the wrong time and lost everything. Hang on a bit more.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #4400
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
so this one time...i should probably get an admin thread up.